HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Carle

Old
11-11-2008, 12:53 PM
thedjpd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
peppermint fattie had no positive reference either

oh wait, peppermint patties are delicious. my point is rescinded.
Seriously, that might actually be the best nickname I've ever heard for a player. I remember when I first heard that, and everytime I see it today I still laugh.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Mike Richards is Hangman?

------
l.......l
l.......l
l......
l
l
l

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

get it?
now THIS, this is hilarious...just the sheer time spent/cleverness...

i never meant the name to carry a negative connotation towards carle. i meant it for when he was performing well, and it wasn't intended to be about him. i didn't even realize the double entendre until well after (proportionately speaking) i thought/said of it (and yeah, it was before i mentioned anything on the boards, fwiw). i think it was one of those things where i put it together in my head but didn't realize it kinda things.

all feelings aside on it though, would anyone NOT crack up if they saw a Hot Carle sign at a game?

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 04:22 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
peppermint fattie had no positive reference either

oh wait, peppermint patties are delicious. my point is rescinded.
York Peppermint Fattie is the most epic, awesome, and amazing nickname ever.

I LOVE IT.

As good as Peppermint Patties are, Peppermint Fattie is hilarious and it still makes me giggle like a schoolgirl.

And I'm ok with that.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 04:24 PM
FlyersCup08

Wasn't able to see the game v. Isles today, how did Carle look?

FlyersCup08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 05:18 PM
Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersCup08 View Post
Led the team in ice time I believe and had 9 blocked shots, pretty impressive.

Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 05:26 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Had one bad giveaway, but logged 27 minutes blocked 9 shots.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 06:37 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

He was very good out there. The one bad giveaway didn't result in a goal so it wasn't too bad. Solid D and he tryed to push the puck up the ice.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 08:04 PM
mm6492

The best part is the minutes he is logging. We needed someone who stevens was more comfortable with, and it was not eminger

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 08:18 PM
Gert B Frobe

Carle makes Eminger look like a steaming pile of st. bernard ****.

Downie couldn't polish up the steaming pile that Eminger was for the Flyers.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 08:20 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 1000
We'll if nothing else Stevens likes him. So far he's played 52:49 in 2 games.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 09:42 PM
Phunhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Personally, I love it... and hope it somehow goes mainstream. Hilarious.
Then how about one for our Captain. What about Balls Cannon?

Phunhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 09:52 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
Carle makes Eminger look like a steaming pile of st. bernard ****.

Downie couldn't polish up the steaming pile that Eminger was for the Flyers.
I agree.

I will admit, I never really saw a lot of Carle before the Flyers traded for him but I think he has looked real good in the games he has played with the Flyers.

it's not even close to how Eminger was playing. Eminger was every bit of horrible out on the ice.

it's hard to believe that Homer may have stolen another young, top end defensemen for basically crap. I like Downie as much as the next guy but if he is the best player going the other way, then this deal could turn out to be a disaster for Tampa.

FlyersGuy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 07:16 AM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
No one liked those interview pics of Carle>

Pshhaw.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 07:33 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
It's not about being uptight, I'll do a Cleveland Steamer on you right now if it floats your boat - but that kind of stuff should stay in the comfort of your own home. Don't give the poor guy a nickname that means something like that.
It's so wrong, but oh so funny.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 10:58 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersGuy69 View Post
I agree.

I will admit, I never really saw a lot of Carle before the Flyers traded for him but I think he has looked real good in the games he has played with the Flyers.

it's not even close to how Eminger was playing. Eminger was every bit of horrible out on the ice.

it's hard to believe that Homer may have stolen another young, top end defensemen for basically crap. I like Downie as much as the next guy but if he is the best player going the other way, then this deal could turn out to be a disaster for Tampa.
I never really saw much of him either, but I knew his style, and I really didn't see why everyone hated the deal. This is his third NHL season. I'm not surprised that people looked at his bad season last year and were worried, but his rookie season showed more than potential, it showed fulfillment of that potential. He just needed a change of scenery/coaching to get back in the right frame of mind. As long as he's out there, his self-confidence will go up, and hopefully with that Stevens' confidence in him.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 11:12 AM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
I never really saw much of him either, but I knew his style, and I really didn't see why everyone hated the deal. This is his third NHL season. I'm not surprised that people looked at his bad season last year and were worried, but his rookie season showed more than potential, it showed fulfillment of that potential. He just needed a change of scenery/coaching to get back in the right frame of mind. As long as he's out there, his self-confidence will go up, and hopefully with that Stevens' confidence in him.
I don't think anyone really hated the deal per say. I know myself and the other Downie supporters hated his being involved with it, but I am in no way bashing to deal itself. If Nodl would've been sent in place of Downie I'd be celebrating with everyone else. I'm very optimistic about Carle, especially after seeing him play the last 2 games, so that's fine with me. It's just the people on here that are completely supportive of the trade, are only seeing it from their perspective, and it's like "to all you others, get the **** over it." I'm sure I'll get less pissed as time goes on, but all in all, I've stated my case repeated times about the trade, and I will still always feel the same no matter what happens. It's not about the trade itself.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 11:14 AM
CNote
Get 'er done

Quote:
I was watching "On The Fly" last night and Larry Murphy thinks Philly won this trade big time.

He said the change of scenery will do Carle wonders and that he's a great fit for the Philly system.

Nice words from a HOF dman.

CNote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 11:15 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNote View Post
I was watching "On The Fly" last night and Larry Murphy thinks Philly won this trade big time.

He said the change of scenery will do Carle wonders and that he's a great fit for the Philly system.

Nice words from a HOF dman.
What system?? Can anyone really tell me HOW this team wants to play cause I sure cant figure it out....

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 11:42 AM
thedjpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
What system?? Can anyone really tell me HOW this team wants to play cause I sure cant figure it out....
So true.

How a team as talented as we are is barely .500 is definitely disconcerting.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 11:43 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
I don't think anyone really hated the deal per say. I know myself and the other Downie supporters hated his being involved with it, but I am in no way bashing to deal itself. If Nodl would've been sent in place of Downie I'd be celebrating with everyone else. I'm very optimistic about Carle, especially after seeing him play the last 2 games, so that's fine with me. It's just the people on here that are completely supportive of the trade, are only seeing it from their perspective, and it's like "to all you others, get the **** over it." I'm sure I'll get less pissed as time goes on, but all in all, I've stated my case repeated times about the trade, and I will still always feel the same no matter what happens. It's not about the trade itself.
i dunno, i'm starting to warm up to nodl too. if he had been dealt, i think i'd still be a bit lukewarm about it. i guess i am guilty of loving my prospects too much

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 11:43 AM
EasyMac

Quote:
I believe that they system the team employs is referred to as the "run around like a chicken with it's head cut off" system.

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 12:00 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
i love when people say the flyers play in a system but always NEVER mention what kind of system it actually is.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 12:00 PM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
i dunno, i'm starting to warm up to nodl too. if he had been dealt, i think i'd still be a bit lukewarm about it. i guess i am guilty of loving my prospects too much
I don't know. Don't get me wrong, Nodl has done his job playing so far, but to me he's almost invisible out there. I'm not saying you have to be flashy to catch my attention, but half the time I forget he's on the team, and I see his number and I'm like "Who the **** is that?" Granted this is only his first pro season, but to be honest I don't know how much more we'll be able to expect out of the kid.

And about the prospects, I have a select few I keep an eye on, but for the most part I don't get too attached until I actually see them make the team. I was a Potulny supporter but never saw him getting a chance to really crack our line-up, so therefore that's why that trade wasn't such a big deal. Whereas, I saw Downie being on this team for many years to come and I grew to be a big fan of his. It's the shock value that really caught me off guard.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 12:36 PM
phlocky

Quote:

Well, I don't look at it as to which players I like more than others, I try to look at it like it's a business. From what I see of our organization, Nodl was more expendable than Downie. Don't get me wrong, I think Nodl will be a better player in the league but I think that they are close enough in ability to make Downine the more valuable asset to the organization than Nodl. Trading Downie created a hole in the organization that we currently don't have a player to fill. I like Nodl but I see him as a lesser version of Giroux. We could lose Nodl and fil his empty spot with Giroux and not be any worse off. However, if Nodl wasn't going to get the deal done for Carle and Downie was the asking price then so be it. Downie was important to the organization but not SO important as to stop us from making this deal. That's my take on all of it.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 12:56 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
If the flyers had the option to move Nodl or Downie they would 100% have moved Nodl but the fact is, Downie has a sure role in the NHL as an agitator and even if his skills dont pick up like we think they will he can still play an agitator role without as much offense. Guys liek Nodl come along much more often. Not to mention the fact that teams have seen Downie in the AHL and NHL over the last couple seasons while they are just getting their first look at Nodl.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote