HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How much of a difference is a half size in skates?

Old
11-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Paranoid Android
mug mug mug

vCash: 500
How much of a difference is a half size in skates?

What's the difference, in terms of inches/centimeters between a size 9 and 9.5? (They are Kor Shift 2's, if that matters.)

Even after baking, my toe is still firm against the toe cap. I am able to skate in them, but my big toe hurts. When I am sitting down, my toe just barely brushes the toe cap. Do you think I need to go a half size up or a full size up?

And please no smart a** answers like "go try them on"

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 04:45 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
Probably a half size, but the real answer is, yes, go try them on if you can. Skates don't fit like normal shoes, in order to be completely sure of size you have to try them on.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 04:49 PM
noobman

NEVER buy a pair of skates without trying them on first.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
What's the difference, in terms of inches/centimeters between a size 9 and 9.5? (They are Kor Shift 2's, if that matters.)

Even after baking, my toe is still firm against the toe cap. I am able to skate in them, but my big toe hurts. When I am sitting down, my toe just barely brushes the toe cap. Do you think I need to go a half size up or a full size up?

And please no smart a** answers like "go try them on"
I suspect a half size is plenty based on that. I'm surprised that translates to "firm against the toe cap" though. That would point towards a full size.

Silly question, but have you clipped your toenails short? That can make a difference if they've been allowed to grow more than usual.

Have your feet stopped growing? Arch supports will shorten your feet if you need them.

The difference between a half size is about 5/32", or 4mm.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 09:40 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Your toes are supposed to just brush the cap.

When you say your big toe hurts, are you getting blisters or cramps? If it feels too tight, you can get the skate punched out slightly at that area. If it's too small, maybe try a different sock or footbed.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Paranoid Android
mug mug mug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
I suspect a half size is plenty based on that. I'm surprised that translates to "firm against the toe cap" though. That would point towards a full size.

Silly question, but have you clipped your toenails short? That can make a difference if they've been allowed to grow more than usual.

Have your feet stopped growing? Arch supports will shorten your feet if you need them.

The difference between a half size is about 5/32", or 4mm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Your toes are supposed to just brush the cap.

When you say your big toe hurts, are you getting blisters or cramps? If it feels too tight, you can get the skate punched out slightly at that area. If it's too small, maybe try a different sock or footbed.
Thanks for the replies, let me provide some more detail...
No socks, yes my foot is done growing, and my nails are not unusually long, but i'll be sure to keep 'em trimmed.

Although my toe touches the end when standing up, it's not the tip of my toe that hurts. Its the outside of my big toe. It's like that bone that sticks out is not in the correct spot in the boot (off by about a half a centimeter or so).

I think what's weird about these skates is Kor's have "toe socks", cushions on the inside of the toe cap. So I guess my toes are supposed to press slightly against the cushion. So when I say "firm" I mean I am pressing through all the cushion, and slightly pressing against the actual cap.

4 mm sounds about right what I need. I probably need more like 6, but I definitely don't want to go too big. Plus my heel should sink back more over time.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 06:37 AM
triggrman

vCash: 557
Sounds like they're too small to me, not just in length but width too.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 09:37 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

too bad, my Kor 1's are the most comfortable skate I've ever used. First time in my life that I've used a skate that I didn't have to wrap the lace around my ankle to feel comfortable.

Get them in another size, they definitely don't disappoint.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 03:58 AM
We'reGonnaWin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
NEVER buy a pair of skates without trying them on first.
Quoted for truth.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote