HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Van-Phi

Old
11-10-2008, 10:55 AM
CAPiTA

vCash: 500
Van-Phi

To Phi:
Ohlund
Grabner
2nd

To Van:
Lupul
Giroux

Yes? No?

CAPiTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 10:56 AM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
We need our D right now.

Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 11:04 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysEndeavor View Post
To Phi:
Ohlund
Grabner
2nd

To Van:
Lupul
Giroux

Yes? No?
No, salary cap.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 11:10 AM
eklunds source

The Canucks have won 5 of 6, four of them shutouts and three of those in a row. Think we're going to mess with this defense right now?

Ohlund would have to waive his NTC to go somewhere. If he DOES waive his NTC, it's only going to be to go somewhere he wants to go and is likely to resign. If you consider that Giroux and Grabner are roughly equal (slight edge to Giroux), there's no way Lupul is worth a likely-to-resign top-25 dman AND a 2nd.

The Canucks aren't going to make any deals unless it's for a bonafide scoring center, Sundin or Carter or similar.

Plus, Lupul's inconsistency would kill us. Thirteen games into the season and he has a 5 game and 4 game pointless streak, and 6 points in the other 4 game span..

eklunds source is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 11:10 AM
CAPiTA

Ohlund- 3.5M, UFA (no more than 4M) next year

Lupul-2.9M, 4.25M starting next year

Grabner~=Giroux

CAPiTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 11:14 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:

Grabner~=Giroux
if that were true, i think flyers fans would be all over this trade. I dont believe it to be true though. Giroux, Nodl, and others are gonna make players like lupul, knuble, and even briere expendable in the next year, and they have a real future in philly.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Peter Griffin

I wouldn't move Ohlund unless a top 6 center is coming back.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 11:32 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Top 6??? so you wouldn't move him unless a Spezza, Crosby,Malkin,Richards,Kopitar,Getzlaf,Jokinen came back in return?

I've got bad news for you then...None of those guys would be on their way back for Ohlund.

BrindamoursNose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 11:33 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
Top 6??? so you wouldn't move him unless a Spezza, Crosby,Malkin,Richards,Kopitar,Getzlaf,Jokinen came back in return?

I've got bad news for you then...None of those guys would be on their way back for Ohlund.
Top 6, as in top 6 forward: ie a solid 2nd line center.

Old
11-10-2008, 11:38 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Top 6, as in top 6 forward: ie a solid 2nd line center.
I understand the Top 6 thing, but the way you wrote it wassss deceiving..usually people just say 1st-2nd line center.

BrindamoursNose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 12:12 PM
eklunds source

Quote:

I love seeing it. Never gets old.

Fan A: Here's a trade proposal for Ohlund
Canuck fan: We don't want to trade Ohlund, he has a NTC, he's not moving except for overpayment.
Fan B: HE'S NOT WORTH THAT MUCH, YOU KNOW, HE'S A UFA!!
Canuck fan: Then we'll happily keep him.

Fan A: Here's a trade proposal for Schneider
Canuck fan: He's not being moved until we have certainly about Luongo, unless its part of a package for a perfect fit center.
Fan B: GOALTENDING PROSPECTS DONT HAVE THAT MUCH VALUE
Canuck fan: Then we'll keep him for now.

Old
11-10-2008, 12:27 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Value-wise I'd be all over that deal as a Canucks fan.

That being said, top six wingers and prospects with elite scoring potential are a weak spot for us, but not weak enough that I'd move one of our best defenders to address them right now.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Towelie*

Quote:
I understand the Top 6 thing, but the way you wrote it wassss deceiving..usually people just say 1st-2nd line center.
Not it wasn't. It is a very normal and often used phrase to say "top six" when referring to a first or second line offensive player.

Towelie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 01:07 PM
Attica

Send a message via MSN to Attica
Quote:

Excellent work....

Attica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Attica

Send a message via MSN to Attica
Quote:
Nah, it made perfect sense to everyone else... Definitely not "deceiving".

Could it be that you just jumped to conclusions and in doing so made a fool out of yourself?

Attica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Szechwan
Plug Life.

Quote:
..What?

Top 6 forward has always been used to describe the players that fit into first and 2nd lines of a team. You would have a point if he'd said "Top 6 forward in the league" but he didn't, and 6 would be a pretty weird number to choose for a league wide list.

Szechwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
The way Cody Hodgson is tearing up the OHL is that the Canucks biggest need beyond this season? I think RW is where the Canucks could most use an impact forward.

As for the deal, I probably do it from Vancouver's POV. Joffrey Lupul would look great with the Sedins and Giroux would be an excellent complement to Cody Hodgson down the road.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Haha, ok. So if I had said "top 6 forward" instead of "top 6 center" you would've assumed I was refering to one of Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Iginla, Zetterberg etc? Spend some more time on this board and you'll soon realize it's very common to use the term "top 6" when referring to a 1st/2nd line player. Also, top 4 when in used in reference for defenseman means a 1st/2nd pairing defender.

Old
11-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
The way Cody Hodgson is tearing up the OHL is that the Canucks biggest need beyond this season? I think RW is where the Canucks could most use an impact forward.
Depends on what Gillis plans on doing with regards to the Sedins. Personally, I'm not convinced he wants to re-sign them and if that is the case the Canucks could use another center regardless of what happens with Hodgson next season. Assuming the Sedins will be re-signed, then yes, I agree that RW is probably the biggest area of concern and Lupul would actually be a nice fit with the Sedins.

Quote:
As for the deal, I probably do it from Vancouver's POV. Joffrey Lupul would look great with the Sedins and Giroux would be an excellent complement to Cody Hodgson down the road.
I really like Giroux and feel he'll be a solid NHL'er in the near future, but I'm really not a huge fan of Lupul's. I think he'd be a great winger for the Sedins, but if they aren't in Gillis' plan, I'm not sure I'd make a trade for Lupul.

Old
11-10-2008, 01:25 PM
thedjpd

I don't think the Flyers do this unless Ohlund is signed. If he is, then possibly.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 02:16 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post

Since when would Lupul be great with the Sedins? They've had Pyatt, Bernier, Wellwood, Raymond, Demitra, and Rypien on their line so far this year. Why is Lupul any different?

Giroux would be an excellent complement to Hodgson? And Grabner wouldn't? It's more or less a sideways move.

Old
11-10-2008, 02:38 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

I don't think Grabner is in the same league as Giroux, but I guess this year in the AHL could go a ways towards determining that.

In the meantime, Giroux put up four fewer points than Grabner's career high in the CHL in his last CHL playoffs alone.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 02:42 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Since when would Lupul be great with the Sedins? They've had Pyatt, Bernier, Wellwood, Raymond, Demitra, and Rypien on their line so far this year. Why is Lupul any different?

Giroux would be an excellent complement to Hodgson? And Grabner wouldn't? It's more or less a sideways move.
Lupul is a sniper, more of a pure goal scorer than any of those guys you have mentioned. The key to playing with the Sedins is to be able to find the soft spot in the defense and be able to get the shot off accurately and fast when there. Anson Carter was good at finding those spots and thats why he was able to score so much with them. Bernier, Pyatt, and Rypien need to be more bang and crash type players to be effective. Wellwood, and Demitra are more playmakers and passers than snipers and goalscorers. Raymond needs to use his speed to create chances his shot and hands are good enough to work at slow speed like the Sedins.

crazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 02:52 PM
decadentia

Quote:

Grabner~=Giroux
Again, salary cap. This year is the problem. Once Jones comes back we're already knee deep in salary cap issues.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 03:14 PM
DUHockey9

I think Lupul with the Sedins could be really scary. Lupul is the kind of player that needs talented linemates and ice time. Our moron of a coach moves him all over the place and plays him with awful combinations (when he and Richards both play better together).

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote