HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Question from a visiting Ducks fan

Old
11-10-2008, 02:32 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

vCash: 500
Question from a visiting Ducks fan

I am taking a trip to NYC in Jan and will be attending the Rangers-Ducks game on the 20th.

My question is how are visiting fans of non-rival teams treated? My only experiences with being at road games have been less than pleasant but they were against the Kings and Coyotes. The Rangers are probably my favorite Eastern team and I hope we aren't met with hostility.

Thanks in advance and way to go for the great start to your season.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 02:36 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
I am taking a trip to NYC in Jan and will be attending the Rangers-Ducks game on the 20th.

My question is how are visiting fans of non-rival teams treated? My only experiences with being at road games have been less than pleasant but they were against the Kings and Coyotes. The Rangers are probably my favorite Eastern team and I hope we aren't met with hostility.

Most people will be amuzed that there is a Ducks supporter at MSG. Can't imagine anything nasty will be hurled your direction.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 02:37 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

As long as you don't jump up and down like you guys won the stanley cup when the ducks score, you should be fine. Usually only obnoxious fans or fans of teams like the Isles and Devils get some hostility towards them. As long as you don't do that, you should be fine when you come here. Hope you have a good trip!

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 02:37 PM
thesnake

Quote:

I think the treatment you get has a lot to do with the way you conduct yourself. If you are there to watch the game and not draw attention to yourself, people (for the most part) will be friendly/not pay you any mind. If your loud and asking for trouble, you'll surely find it.

I think this is true for most sports venues, not just MSG.

Now, there will be a few knuckleheads I'm sure that will have something stupid to say... but if you just ignore them and move on, I'm sure you'll have a good time and wont have any trouble.

Have fun at the game!

thesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 02:39 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Just don't overreact for a goal, and you'll be fine. You can do all you want if you bring Bobby Ryan with you.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 02:41 PM
ArtieAnisimov

You should be fine. Ducks aren't a division rival to the Rangers or a traditional rival by any means. Ranger fans are usually hostile towards away fans of the Islanders, Devils, and Flyers. To some extent the Canadien fans weren't as welcome, but thats because of their conduct

ArtieAnisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 02:44 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

If you came into MSG wearing a Charlie Conway Ducks jersey I would give you a hug.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 02:45 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlue View Post
You should be fine. Ducks aren't a division rival to the Rangers or a traditional rival by any means. Ranger fans are usually hostile towards away fans of the Islanders, Devils, and Flyers. To some extent the Canadien fans weren't as welcome, but thats because of their conduct
Habs fans are obnoxious in our building. Almost as bad as Debby and Icelander fans.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 02:59 PM
asparkoflife

If you come to watch the game and show your support without being a jerk, youll be treated fairly. So enjoy the trip and have fun at the game!

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 03:00 PM
Shake and Bake

Generaly, we like to piss and **** on opposing fans. Nah, you should be fine. Anaheim is a Western Conference team so there isn't much hatred...(well, I don't like them

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 03:00 PM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Habs fans are obnoxious in our building. Almost as bad as Debby and Icelander fans.
Flyers fans tend to be very obnoxious as well, more-so than debbies fans at least.

Visiting fans other than from divisional rivals aren't gonna get any trouble from Rangers fans as long as they are respectful. I think you will find Rangers fans to be very friendly and cordial if you attempt to start a civil conversation with them, and if the Ducks aren't winning 5-0.

RangerBlue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 03:01 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Just stay away from the Blue Seats....

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 03:12 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

You're not a Flyer, Devil or Islander fan, so you'll be fine. If I see you, I'll be sure to remark about how lame and generic the Ducks current jersey is and how much I miss the Mighty Ducks.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 03:27 PM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:

Just don't be too obnoxious and you'll be fine. Go into MSG with an open mind and sense of humor, because you'll probably get some **** in good fun, like getting quacked at Just laugh it off and have a good time.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 03:31 PM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlue View Post
To some extent the Canadien fans weren't as welcome, but thats because of their conduct
Ain't that the truth. I was at a Rangers-Habs game last year and a bunch of French mother****ers were holding a huge Canadiens flag and starting trouble with people in the Blue seats. Needless to say they didn't last long.

Old
11-10-2008, 03:32 PM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Debby......fans.
WHAT?!?!?!?!

Old
11-10-2008, 03:52 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
just don't be a pain in the ass and you will be fine...

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 04:19 PM
NYPhoenix

I know I've been to Coyotes games wearing my Rangers jersey with my friends and we didn't catch any flak, I had Ducks fans sitting behind me and they weren't doing anything to draw attention to themselves but wearing Ducks jerseys. As stated before as long as you don't cause any trouble and draw attention to yourself I'm sure you'll be fine.

NYPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 04:36 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

FYI - the "blue seats" are the top balcony, which contains all the sections in the 400s. These seats are where our rowdiest and most passionate fans sit. However, since you won't be wearing a Devils, Islanders, Flyers or Sidney Crosby jersey you should be fine, even if you sit there - so long as you don't overdo it when the Ducks do well (as others have said).

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 04:41 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
and when you say "our building" you mean every single building in the NHL lol

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 04:49 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
well as long as u dont act like the tampa bay fan at the game last week ull be fine. he taunted the 100's of fans around him and got stuff thrown at him and cursed off and chewed out. everytime the rangers scored he was embarraced then shown on the jumbo tron, booed by 18000 people and humiliated

as long as u dont act like this guy, ull be fine

and u seem like a classy ducks fan. thank u for the wishes on the start to the season. good luck with the rest of urs and congrats on all ur teams recent success.

enjoy the game, and madison square garden!!

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 05:04 PM
ArtieAnisimov

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
Ain't that the truth. I was at a Rangers-Habs game last year and a bunch of French mother****ers were holding a huge Canadiens flag and starting trouble with people in the Blue seats. Needless to say they didn't last long.
Last year when Drury tied the game in the Rangers-Habs game a Ranger fan shouted "Where's your flag now?" I was laughing hysterically when he said that. Also after Dancing Granny he shouted "She's sexier than any Canadian."

ArtieAnisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 05:08 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Another thing: If you know anything about the Rangers, chat up the people around you. By all means, as most fans at the Garden know a decent amount about the team and are down to talk hockey. Even with an outside fan.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 05:42 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:

It depends on where your seats are.

100s and your mixed in with the Yuppies who probably don't even know what's going on and are more interest in impressing their buds or clients with good seats.

200s your starting to get into some more fans but still mostly hitting people who got tickets from work or a friends work.

300s Average American and great fans. You're in their house and treat it with respect. A Duck's Jersey is okay, but don't get too loud, especially if the Rangers are losing.

400s Don't wear your Ducks jersey, don't celebrate a goal unless it's NY, and don't mess with the guys on the rail, they'll throw you off. It'll take a while for security to get to you in you get in trouble.

No matter where you sit, I think you'll be in better shape than I was in the Boston with my Ranger's Jersey and a group of unhappy Boston Iron Workers.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 05:48 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

If your not being Douchey or anything then you will have a fine trip.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote