HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

#5 Pick

Closed Thread

Old
02-29-2004, 04:59 PM
Barnaby

vCash: 500
#5 Pick

Hi, right now we stand at about the number 5 pick. Carolina is 2 points back but with a couple of games in hand so I think #5 is accurate. What do some of you guys think will be available for us? From what Iv'e heard Ovechkin, Malkin, and Barker will probably all be gone. What are our options? Anybody that could be a big-time player for us?

Also, if you could go back would you have taken Parise over Jessiman? Parise sounds like the sure-bet but Jess-man seems more like a high-risk, high reward player.

Old
02-29-2004, 05:03 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
Hi, right now we stand at about the number 5 pick. Carolina is 2 points back but with a couple of games in hand so I think #5 is accurate. What do some of you guys think will be available for us? From what Iv'e heard Ovechkin, Malkin, and Barker will probably all be gone. What are our options? Anybody that could be a big-time player for us?

Also, if you could go back would you have taken Parise over Jessiman? Parise sounds like the sure-bet but Jess-man seems more like a high-risk, high reward player.
who's the worst possible player they can pick at #5? Whoever that is is the player you'll see on our 4th line for years to come hope this helps.

Old
02-29-2004, 05:04 PM
Edge

if we are picking at 5, i'd seriously consider Andrew Ladd.

Old
02-29-2004, 05:07 PM
Mark Pavelich

Send a message via AIM to Mark Pavelich
Quote:

I didn't like the Jessiman pick at the time and still don't. I wanted Phaneuf after he was taken I wanted Parise. I hope I am wrong about the guy, I guess we will have to wait and see.

Old
02-29-2004, 05:18 PM
Mark Pavelich

Send a message via AIM to Mark Pavelich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
if we are picking at 5, i'd seriously consider Andrew Ladd.
How much has Ladd benefitted from playing with Getzlaf?

Old
02-29-2004, 05:19 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

From what I'm hearing, there is a significant drop off once you get past the top 3 picks. If the Rangers can't land a top 3 pick then I hope they trade down and get Mike Green. His value right now puts him somewhere in the middle of the first round.

Old
02-29-2004, 05:21 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
At #5 I think a lot of solid picks will be available. Olesz, Lepisto, Smid, Radulov, Ladd, Wolski could all be available. Expect Cam Barker, Ovechkin, Malkin to all be gone.

Old
02-29-2004, 05:26 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
Jessiman was not the right pick. There were many safer smarter picks the Rangers could have taken. On a team with a lot of solid prospects, taking Jessiman would make sense, not the Rangers who's farm system is empty.

For the Rangers, how many balls will they get in the lottery if they finish at the 5th slot? What % of them winning it, or at least moving up?

Old
02-29-2004, 05:43 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
I know you guys still have Blackburn but what about Al Montoya (G) from Michigan?
He might be a reach at #5 but he really looks like he's got the goods.

Old
02-29-2004, 05:45 PM
AXN

Quote:

The last time we picked number 5 we took Brian Leetch.
Lets get a good player.

Old
02-29-2004, 05:55 PM
NYR469

rangers would not pick #5...they would pick #6 behind pitt, chicago, columbus, washington, & carolina

Old
02-29-2004, 05:58 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXN
The last time we picked number 5 we took Brian Leetch.
Lets get a good player.
leetch was picked 9th overall

Old
02-29-2004, 06:03 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
leetch was picked 9th overall

I like Lauri Tukonen, Rob Schremp, Alexandre Picard in that order. Tukonen the top Fin. is a battler that likes to play down low near the goalie. Schremp is not having a good year but skill wise he's one of the top players. any of these guys could be still around if we pick 6-7. Maybe a trade back a few slots to pick up an extra third rounder?

Old
02-29-2004, 06:17 PM
Fish

Indeed, the Rangers have only 5 top 5 picks since the draft was instituted in 1963. 4 of those came in the first 4 years of the draft...the other was Pavel Brendl. In fact they've never picked #5...

But #5 isn't a bad spot normally, though you can see there aren't a lot of superstars in there:

2003 Thomas Vanek
2002 Ryan Whitney
2001 Stanislav Chistov
2000 Raffi Torres
1999 Tim Connolly
1998 Vitali Vishnevsky
1997 Eric Brewer
1996 Richard Jackman
1995 Daymond Langkow
1994 Jeff O'Neill
1993 Rob Niedermayer
1992 Darius Kasparaitis
1991 Aaron Ward
1990 Jaromir Jagr
1989 Bill Guerin
1988 Daniel Dore

I think if I'm the Rangers I'd be trying to score a few extra picks through trades and seeing if you couldn't trade up to the top 3...or then perhaps look at trading down and going for more picks in a weak draft.

Old
02-29-2004, 06:33 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Pavelich
How much has Ladd benefitted from playing with Getzlaf?

Well it would be ubsurd to say he hasn't benefitted but also remember that Getzlaf missed over 20 games with the team as well and Ladd held up just fine. For me that was when i started to notice him, when Getzlaf was gone. Calgary is developing a deep team, but they are also a young team. As i said in another post, they have a ton of draft eligible guys this year, so it's not an experienced team.

Ladd is not in the class of the top 3, those guys are a heads length ahead of the rest of the crop right now, but he is a very solid prospect who fits a need that a lot of teams need. He can score, he plays a sandpaper came and he shows a lot of heart on the ice. Also it is important to note that he is a rookie in the whl so he doesnt come with a previous year of experience under his belt.

However he is a kid that i could see taking it to another level next season with increased confidence and another year under his belt. If we're picking at 5 and the top 3 guys are gone, this team could do a lot worse than Andrew Ladd, a 6'2, 200 pound left winger who fits a need and also might be the best player available as well.

Old
02-29-2004, 06:41 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
Indeed, the Rangers have only 5 top 5 picks since the draft was instituted in 1963. 4 of those came in the first 4 years of the draft...the other was Pavel Brendl. In fact they've never picked #5...

But #5 isn't a bad spot normally, though you can see there aren't a lot of superstars in there:

2003 Thomas Vanek
2002 Ryan Whitney
2001 Stanislav Chistov
2000 Raffi Torres
1999 Tim Connolly
1998 Vitali Vishnevsky
1997 Eric Brewer
1996 Richard Jackman
1995 Daymond Langkow
1994 Jeff O'Neill
1993 Rob Niedermayer
1992 Darius Kasparaitis
1991 Aaron Ward
1990 Jaromir Jagr
1989 Bill Guerin
1988 Daniel Dore

I think if I'm the Rangers I'd be trying to score a few extra picks through trades and seeing if you couldn't trade up to the top 3...or then perhaps look at trading down and going for more picks in a weak draft.
I dunno that list is pretty impressive. Guerin and Jagr alone have 2000 NHL points. O'Neil has developed a fine career and become a 30 goal, 60 point player. Kasparitis has put together a solid 10 year career. Langkow has a nice career himself. Eric Brewer is one of the top young defenseman in the game, and some of the other guys are right in the mix for nhl jobs or already have one.

Personally i'm usually against trading down too far, unless there is a player who is on the same level and fits a better need. Especially in the rangers case, trading down as usually cost them some nice prospects the past few years and they almost always turned around and drafted a head scratcher. there are better ways to get picks, such as not trading them like water in the first place. but of course this team has no plan whatsoever.

also i dont think the draft is exceptionally weak so much as you need to do your homework a little more. last years draft was a deep one. you could have gone off CSB's list from picks 1-15 and still have had good odds to get a keeper. this year you need to pay closer attention and the products aren't as "finished" as they were last year. Having said that, there are very few "weak" drafts when you look back on them, they are just not as clear cut as others. they usually end up producing close to the same number of players. Besides how many times have we heard "deep" in the past 7 years only to see a bunch of flops in the top 20. 1997 was deep, 1999 was deep, etc.

1998 was supposed to be a little weaker and many of the top 15 have found nhl jobs, same with 2001. Remember it was supposed to be a weak year? Two of the top young forwards in hockey came out of the top 5 of that draft.

there's no such thing as a weak draft, just lazy teams and with the resources this team has, there is NO excuse for being lazy.

Old
02-29-2004, 06:52 PM
Fish

fair point, but when things are less clear cut I think it pays to diversify your risk. In theory there's no reason the Rangers couldn't get quite a few picks in this draft given that many teams also feel this isn't as good a draft (or easy to pick) and may be more willing to part with picks.

More picks taken, more chance of success...draft preparation aside of course

Old
02-29-2004, 06:56 PM
Edge

it gives you some better odds but i've always been a firm believer that picks for picks usually dont increase yours odds all that much and usually take the ball more out of your hands than before. In fact weighing the two sides i'd venture to say that the potential negatives outway the positives. Now if you're talking about dealing the pick, moving down two spots and picking up a second rounder than maybe. But most times you end up moving down 10 or so spaces.

in the end this team is gonna do what it is gonna do, but i think there are quality guys to be had at the 5-10 spot.

Old
02-29-2004, 07:00 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
rangers would not pick #5...they would pick #6 behind pitt, chicago, columbus, washington, & carolina
Yea, but considering the Canes are two points back with two in hand its about even. Also, the Rangers are going to dump some people and are playing like crap so I think odds are they are at 5.

Old
02-29-2004, 07:13 PM
Edge

realistcially the rangers have an outside shot at moving as high two because i think the only team that definatly wont pass them is pitts.

Old
02-29-2004, 07:17 PM
SemperBlue

Does it really matter?

#5? So what? The Rangers will probably end up trading that player away, just like they have with the majority of their young talent over the past several years (York, Cloutier, Mottau, Malhotra, Savard, etc).

Old
02-29-2004, 07:17 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
realistcially the rangers have an outside shot at moving as high two because i think the only team that definatly wont pass them is pitts.
True, but I think we all know the Rangers will do anything they can to hurt the team. I wouldnt be totally shocked if they got as high as #3.... I would take that any day. If we can assure a guy like Ovechkin, Malkin, Barker I would take it to the bank.

Old
02-29-2004, 07:19 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperBlue
#5? So what? The Rangers will probably end up trading that player away, just like they have with the majority of their young talent over the past several years (York, Cloutier, Mottau, Malhotra, Savard, etc).

because like humanity itself, if you dont at least have the glimmer of hope you might as well just shoot yourself in the skull and get it over with.

Old
02-29-2004, 07:20 PM
Edge

Quote:
True, but I think we all know the Rangers will do anything they can to hurt the team. I wouldnt be totally shocked if they got as high as #3.... I would take that any day. If we can assure a guy like Ovechkin, Malkin, Barker I would take it to the bank.
oh believe me, i fear everyday this team is going to go on a winning streak and blow the whole deal. one last way of kicking their own fans.

ovechikin, malkin and barker are the top 3 in imo and nobody is gonna knock them out of that. even if this team doesnt, there are some nice guys to round out the top 10 and i'd be happy with that.

Old
02-29-2004, 07:26 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
oh believe me, i fear everyday this team is going to go on a winning streak and blow the whole deal. one last way of kicking their own fans.

ovechikin, malkin and barker are the top 3 in imo and nobody is gonna knock them out of that. even if this team doesnt, there are some nice guys to round out the top 10 and i'd be happy with that.
Forget nice guys. We need some top notch young players to build around

We need a guy for our top pairing or top line. I like Lundmark, but if we pick another guy at his level thats just not enough IMO. For once we need a young guy to get excited about. We need a "Go to guy" whether it be on offense or defense. This could be the best pick we get and we'd better make the most of it. If we could slide down to as low as three we would have a chance to pick there twice considering the impending lockout and that could be HUGE for this organization.

Closed Thread