HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

If JR goes out for the count, do we resign Zhamnov?

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2004, 08:44 AM
FlyHigh

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
If JR goes out for the count, do we resign Zhamnov?

It is sort of looking like JR will retire after the year even if he does return. IF he does, should we make an effort to resign Zhamnov? I personally think that we should, if you think about it, I believe that the team is 2-0-1 on the ice and he seems to have gotten this team going again. Plus, the Gagne-Amonte-Zhamnov line has been real good ever since it got put together and that PP goal just eliminated any momentum that the Sens might have had. Thoughts...?

Old
02-27-2004, 08:51 AM
blah

I wouldn't be against re-signing him. He'll probably want 4-5 mil.

Old
02-27-2004, 09:07 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
I'd probably re-sign him anyways for at least 1 year

Old
02-27-2004, 10:49 AM
Blindside9711

Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
Nope... JR's coming back.

Old
02-27-2004, 02:25 PM
VaFlyer

IF JR doesn't come back then signing Zhamnov does become important. Unless you find someone else out there who would cost about the same, have some chemistry with Amonte, and be our first line center...That would leave you really solid at center.

Old
02-28-2004, 08:31 AM
The Seeker 25

Send a message via AIM to The Seeker 25
I'll take a wait and see attitude with Zhamnov.....see how he meshes with the rest of the team through the remaining regular season schedule and (especially) playoffs. In some NHL circles, Alexei has a bit of a reputation for being soft and disappearing at critical times. Here's his chance to dispel those notions and garner a total league-wide respect.

If he comes up big down the stretch and playoffs, sign him for a couple of years....if JR comes back or not.

Old
02-28-2004, 10:54 AM
FlyersHomer DM03

give zhamnov a 2-year deal, shouldn't be too big of money, still less than Roenick.

Old
02-28-2004, 11:04 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

depends on wether there is a season next year. If we loose the entire 04-05 season, don't bother because Richards or Carter will be ready after that

Old
02-28-2004, 11:07 AM
FlyersHomer DM03

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
depends on wether there is a season next year. If we loose the entire 04-05 season, don't bother because Richards or Carter will be ready after that
you make a good point

also if a CBA is passed with some sort of salary cap, re-signing big names could be the least of our concerns--maybe a low-salary guy like patrick sharp will be bumped up to full time next season.

Old
02-28-2004, 12:00 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Since getting Primeau re-signed will be a top priority i would say its gonna depend on how much he signs and whether JR decides to come back or not.
But Zhamnov would be a good insurance policy against either not coming back.

Old
02-28-2004, 10:57 PM
Kyonn

I know a lot of Flyers fans are gonna disagree with me about this but I would attempt to resign Zhamnov even if Roenick and Primeau both come back 100% next season, even if it means trading Handzus. I just dont think Handzus provides enough offense to be a true second line center on a Stanly Cup team, he could be a great 3rd line center but we already have Primeau for that. Zhamnov is a very underrated two-way player who makes the players around him better with his passing, he had a lot to do with Amonte's back to back 40 goal seasons. I would love to see a second line of Leclair, Zhamnov and Recchi, playing with with thise two guys could turn Leclair back in to a 35 goal man. The last time Zhamnov had line makes that good was his first 3 years in Winnipeg and was a point a game player who ended up all NHL second team in '94-95

Old
02-28-2004, 11:00 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyonn
I know a lot of Flyers fans are gonna disagree with me about this but I would attempt to resign Zhamnov even if Roenick and Primeau both come back 100% next season, even if it means trading Handzus. I just dont think Handzus provides enough offense to be a true second line center on a Stanly Cup team, he could be a great 3rd line center but we already have Primeau for that. Zhamnov is a very underrated two-way player who makes the players around him better with his passing, he had a lot to do with Amonte's back to back 40 goal seasons. I would love to see a second line of Leclair, Zhamnov and Recchi, playing with with thise two guys could turn Leclair back in to a 35 goal man. The last time Zhamnov had line makes that good was his first 3 years in Winnipeg and was a point a game player who ended up all NHL second team in '94-95
well im gonna disagree with you on this one. Handzus is a very good 2 way center. as solid as any 2 way forward in the league IMO.

Old
02-28-2004, 11:24 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyonn
Heck, I'd like to keep all four of them. This season just shows that you can't have enough centers. Besides, if we didn't resign him I guarantee all that means is that Clarke will wait until that trade deadline and deal valuable assets to get another center. I'd rather just keep Zhamnov, no matter what JR's condition is.

Old
02-28-2004, 11:55 PM
Kyonn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
well im gonna disagree with you on this one. Handzus is a very good 2 way center. as solid as any 2 way forward in the league IMO.
Where did I say Handzus wasn't a good 2 way center, I just said he doesnít provide enough offense to be a high quality second line center in the NHL. Handzus is the total opposite of Zhamnov offensively, Zhamnov makes his line mates better with his deft passing and creative playmaking whereas Handzus somewhat of a leech (in the Primeau mold) whose points come mostly from plays generated my his line mates. If you donít want to take my word for it go over to tsn.ca and look at their NHL player profiles and get an independent opinion, under career potential for Handzus they list checking-line center whereas for Zhamnov they list first-line center.

To further make my point look at the last 9 cup winners, Colorado, Detroit, Dallas and New Jersey. Colorado's top two centers are Sakic and Forsberg, one guys a former 50 goal scorer and the other is considered by many to be the best all-around forward in the league. The same thing was true with Detroit, with Yzerman and Fedorov, and Dallas had two former 50 goal scorers for their top two centers. The only exception is New Jersey but when looking for a pattern to wining Iím not gonna bank on the exception.

Donít get me wrong I really like Handzus and think he could be a great 3rd line center but we already have Primeau for that role.

Old
02-29-2004, 12:05 AM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
I wasn't a big fan of his before we got him but I would look to resign him regardless if Roenick comes back or not, he has looked very good and his skills on the ice stick out like a sore thumb.

if the Flyers become overmaned at the center position(like earlier in the season) they could always move one of the guys in a trade for another need.

Old
02-29-2004, 07:52 PM
Diesel

No, I think we are fine either way. If Roenick retires, bring up Carter and don't resign Zhamnov. I say insert Carter right into that first line. People will say I'm nutz, of course, but it would be even crazier to bring him up to play on the 3rd or 4th line where his defensive responsibilities will be even greater. Put him on a scoring line and let him learn.

Old
02-29-2004, 08:27 PM
Rex88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
No, I think we are fine either way. If Roenick retires, bring up Carter and don't resign Zhamnov. I say insert Carter right into that first line. People will say I'm nutz, of course, but it would be even crazier to bring him up to play on the 3rd or 4th line where his defensive responsibilities will be even greater. Put him on a scoring line and let him learn.
You are "nutz".
That would be OK if we are going with him as a support/second line role, but as a number one center on a top team? Yes, I still consider us a top team (top 6 if healthy). I want him to succeed but that seems like an impossible situation in PHilly.

Old
02-29-2004, 09:16 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Did you forget that Hitchcock is our coach? Hitchcock has a tendency to not trust rookies, (actually most younger players) so do you really think he's going to put a rookie on the first line? Rookies make too many mistakes for Hitch's cholesterol filled blood.

Old
02-29-2004, 11:02 PM
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
Ready for what? The Philadelphia Phantoms? Rarely does a youngster come in and make an impact on the roster. I don't expect these two guys to make have an impact (1st or 2nd line) for at least 3 years.

Old
02-29-2004, 11:14 PM
The Flash

Quote:
I am very happy that you are not the coach of the Flyers. I don't know the last time in the NHL that a rookie was the number 1 center AND their team made the playoffs.

Remember, this is not EA NHL 2005 where you get to control the players. Carter would get eaten alive by guys like Thornton, Modano, Sakic... even Messier would be able to handle Carter at that stage of his career. Carter needs to learn by watching the game from the bench and playing limited minutes. If Carter proves that he can handle the rigours, then move him up the depth chart. But he has to earn it. Imagine the team chemistry if they just inserted a rookie ahead of Handzus and Primeau.

Old
03-01-2004, 11:14 AM
Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flash

I am very happy that you are not the coach of the Flyers. I don't know the last time in the NHL that a rookie was the number 1 center AND their team made the playoffs.

Remember, this is not EA NHL 2005 where you get to control the players. Carter would get eaten alive by guys like Thornton, Modano, Sakic... even Messier would be able to handle Carter at that stage of his career. Carter needs to learn by watching the game from the bench and playing limited minutes. If Carter proves that he can handle the rigours, then move him up the depth chart. But he has to earn it. Imagine the team chemistry if they just inserted a rookie ahead of Handzus and Primeau.
I bet he'd score at least as many goals as Handzus and more than Primeau.

Old
03-01-2004, 11:18 AM
Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flash

Also... Ilya Kovalchuk and Dany Heatly were both on the first line in their rookie seasons. Granted, that team didn't make the playoffs, but it had nothing to do with the play of Kovalchuk and Heatley. They were both outstanding. Now of course everybody is going to say Carter is not that caliber of player blah blah blah. Maybe not but he's better already than alot of people projected him to be. I think he will be a better player than Eric Staal, who was the 2nd overall pick the same year. Just my opinion.

Closed Thread