HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

2009 Hall of Fame

Old
11-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Mad Habber

vCash: 500
Without Oates, Hull is a 40 goal man. Neely never scores 50 in 50. At least from my view point. 2 HOF because of one man's contribution. When you actually compare the players, the 2 snipers are in (or will be) and the all-round player, the more complete player of the 3 isn't.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 05:26 PM
camperjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I agree with the exception that Hull will get in there prior to Gilmour. Dougie will have to wait until hopefully 2010 to get in. Heck, they cant keep him out forever can they?

Anyways you have an interesting list, I know you dont think all of them deserve it eventually so I am just going to clump them in my own groups:

Never will deserve HHOF:
Andreychuk, Bellows, Damphousse, Henderson, Housley, Hunter, Larmer, Nicholls, Propp, Smith, Taylor, Verbeek, Beaupre, Bouchard, Hextall, Hrudey, Liut, McLean, Meloche, Peeters, Potvin, Richter,

Almost great enough:
Ciccarelli, Moog, Mogilny, Vanbiesbrouck

Borderline:
Fleury

Could/should get in eventually:
Gilmor, Leetch, Oates, Yzerman, Robitaille, Barrasso, Vachon, Vernon
He scored one of the biggest goals in Hockey history, heck he's in the Canadain sports Hall of Fame and not the Hockey Hall of Fame. He should definatly get in.

camperjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Moses Doughty
Long term bandwagons

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperjr View Post
Who do you guys think should get in?

Some of the options

Dave Andreychuk
Brian Bellows
Dino Ciccarelli
Vincent Damphousse
Theoren Fleury
Doug Gilmour
Paul Henderson
Phil Housley
Brett Hull
Dale Hunter
Steve Larmer
Brian Leetch
Alexander Mogilny
Bernie Nicholls
Adam Oates
Brian Propp
Luc Robitaille
Bobby Smith
Dave Taylor
Pat Verbeek
Steve Yzerman

Goalies

Tom Barrasso
Don Beaupre
Dan Bouchard
Ron Hextall
Kelly Hrudey
Mike Liut
Kirk McLean
Gilles Meloche
Andy Moog
Pete Peeters
Felix Potvin
Mike Richter
Rogatien Vachon
John Vanbiesbrouck
Mike Vernon

In bold are my picks
Hull in Gilmour's place
Underlined are the 2010 picks
Gotta give Rogie some love

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
He scored one of the biggest goals in Hockey history, heck he's in the Canadain sports Hall of Fame and not the Hockey Hall of Fame. He should definatly get in.
Yeah but as an individual player he doesnt make the cut, not even close. His moment, his goal is forever etched in hockey history. That alone should be good enough, but as a player Henderson never topped 38 or 60 points in a season.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 07:55 PM
MXD

I'll repeat what I said many teams. Never, in NHL history, the best offensive player of a Cup Champion was not inducted in the HHOF. I think the HHOF will give a very long look to Damphousse, even though I could see him falling just short.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 08:11 PM
tony d
Irish Spring Soap

Looking at next year's possible ballot it looks like another year that Dino Ciccarelli doesn't make it.

As for who I think makes it in next year:

Brett Hull, Brian Leetch, Luc Robitaille and Steve Yzerman

Celebrating 10 yrs. at hfboards today. Thanks everyone for making the past decade so memorable. Here's to 10 more years.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 08:22 PM
Al Bundy*

Quote:
As for who I think makes it in next year:

Brett Hull, Brian Leetch, Luc Robitaille and Steve Yzerman
DAMN. That could be the greatest HHOF class in years!

Al Bundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
I'll repeat what I said many teams. Never, in NHL history, the best offensive player of a Cup Champion was not inducted in the HHOF. I think the HHOF will give a very long look to Damphousse, even though I could see him falling just short.
Rick MacLeish led the Flyers in points both years they won the Cup in '74 and '75. No HHOF. Eric Staal has a long ways to go, as does Brad Richards and Jamie Langenbrunner. And you can forget Stephane Richer ever getting into the HHOF without a ticket

Old
11-11-2008, 09:20 PM
MXD

Quote:
Rick MacLeish led the Flyers in points both years they won the Cup in '74 and '75. No HHOF. Eric Staal has a long ways to go, as does Brad Richards and Jamie Langenbrunner. And you can forget Stephane Richer ever getting into the HHOF without a ticket
I think Bobby Clarke was a superior offensive player than Rick MacLeish... I wasn't referring to the point totals.

Old
11-11-2008, 10:00 PM
Randall Graves*

I'd vote for Gilmour way before Robitaille, i'm surprised it's even that much of a debate, better all around player, way better playoff performer. Robitaille just played a position that's been really weak for many years.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 10:03 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgazoo View Post
Yzerman is a lock, so is Hull. To lesser extent Leetch and Robitaille. However they should get it as well.

Gilmour is riding mostly Leafs sentiment and that's not going to be enough to get him in next year.
Gilmour has almost 200 career playoff points, 1400+ regular season points and was a terrific all around player, he should definitely get in the HOF.

Old
11-11-2008, 11:44 PM
greatgazoo

Quote:
That statement is interesting, do you think he is not a legit HHOFer? Or just not a first ballot? I think there was plenty of room for him in 2006, especially over the "great" Dick Duff. 2007 I can understand, but there was no excuse why him AND Oates werent in 2008 with Igor and Glenn.
Gilmour's celebrity is blown totally out of proportion because of what he did for the Leafs in '93 and '94. If he had played in St. Louis and Calgary for his entire career, and put up the same stats (less than a point per game career wise) there would be little no mention of him being a hall of famer...guaranteed.

greatgazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 12:36 AM
mrinsane

Hull, Yzerman, Housley and Damphousse for '09

mrinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 03:07 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Gilmour's celebrity is blown totally out of proportion because of what he did for the Leafs in '93 and '94. If he had played in St. Louis and Calgary for his entire career, and put up the same stats (less than a point per game career wise) there would be little no mention of him being a hall of famer...guaranteed.
K a guy with almost 200 career playoff points wouldn't get a sniff.right.

Old
11-12-2008, 03:58 AM
Howe Elbows 9

vCash: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
that's barasso, hextall, peeters, vachon, beezer, and vernon?

of them, i'd say barasso and vernon get the strongest looks. vachon's cups, i think, don't really count, do they?
Yes. I agree that Barrasso and Vernon will get some consideration.

I forgot that Vachon was a backup in 1968, but he did play one more playoff game than Worsley did in 1969. So shall we say 1 Cup?

Quote:
Canadiens in 1986 - who's your pick for best offensive player on that team?

Howe Elbows 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 07:40 AM
Dima87*

Quote:
[/I]

If that's the case, then you agree with the top Soviet players getting in as well ?

Dima87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 07:48 AM
reckoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperjr
He scored one of the biggest goals in Hockey history, heck he's in the Canadian sports Hall of Fame and not the Hockey Hall of Fame. He should definatly get in.
The U.S. Olympic Team gold medal in '80 means as much to Americans as the Summit Series means to Canadians. Would you put Mike Eruzione or Jim Craig in?

reckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 12:36 PM
Riffo*

Yzerman
Hull
Leetch
Ciccarelli

Riffo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 01:00 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shlomo View Post
Yes. I agree that Barrasso and Vernon will get some consideration.

I forgot that Vachon was a backup in 1968, but he did play one more playoff game than Worsley did in 1969. So shall we say 1 Cup?

Canadiens in 1986 - who's your pick for best offensive player on that team?
A guy who had a wayy too short career to be inducted, but you have a point there.

Old
11-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude Julien View Post
Yzerman
Hull
Leetch
Ciccarelli
I have no problem with that, but if Dino didn't get in this year, it saddens me to say he probably won't get in next year in a harder group. I think Oates gets in before Ciccarelli, especially with Hull going in the same year.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 02:40 PM
TheDevilMadeMe

Quote:
In that case, players like Patrik Elias also deserve a look. In other words, I'm not sure it's such a valid point anymore.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 03:18 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
I disagree with that though. Outside of playing in Toronto he still has a fairly good resume. His best point years are 105, 91, 86, 85, 81. He has a Cup, while being a big contributor to it, and he has the luxury of leading the NHL in playoff points in '86.

Then with T.O. he has 5 years with two of them being elite at 127 and 111 points. He has a Selke, a Hart runner up nod and two eye-popping years of 35 and 28 playoff points.

Overall he has 1414 career points and 188 playoff points. He is just slightly under a point per game. He did not fall into the Dave Andreychuk-syndrome of sticking around 10 years after you can put up a decent point producing season. I just can't understand what they would be discussing on that committee to not induct Gilmour

Old
11-12-2008, 04:06 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
In that case, players like Patrik Elias also deserve a look. In other words, I'm not sure it's such a valid point anymore.
Elias is more deserving of the HHOF than we might think.

Old
11-12-2008, 05:19 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
I don't know if it's as clear-cut as 2007 (when Messier, Francis, Stevens and MacInnis were slam dunks) but it's close.

Steve Yzerman is a mortal lock as the head-liner for the class. Everything you want in an HHOFer, and one of the most beloved players in the history of the game. Seriously, does anyone not like the guy?

Brett Hull will get in, too. A Hart Trophy, three 50-50 seasons, 86 goals in a season, key player on two Cup champions. Not a popular guy, but he's one of the best goal-scorers of all-time. One dimensional, but what a dimension.

Brian Leetch is a mortal lock, too. A Conn Smythe Trophy, and on the Rangers when they shook their jinx at that. Two Norris Trophies. Five all-star team births. And that's facing tremendous competition. One of five defencemen with a 100-point season.

Only question is whether Luc Robitaille gets in on the first ballot, or if he waits a year or two. The good? Career points leader for LWs, eight-time all-star. The bad? The competition for all-star births wasn't much at all, and career numbers aren't as big of a deal as they used to be. A tremendous goal-scorer with great hands in tight who simply knew how to score. I'll be honest, I'd have a hard time voting for him on the first ballot, but that's only because my first-ballot standards are incredibly stringent.
LW competition will be a non-factor for the Hall. And career numbers are always a big deal for the Hall.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
As others have said, Yzerman, Hull, and Leetch are locks at the first ballot.

I would pick Bure as the 4th selection without hesitation, but I don't expect the HHOF committee to. I'd say they'd pick Robitaille, Oates, or Gilmour or nobody at all.
Are you begging for a Thornton_19 appearance?

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote