HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Matt Ellis NOT Re-Claimed By The Kings

Old
11-08-2008, 12:24 AM
CBGB

vCash: 500
Matt Ellis NOT Re-Claimed By The Kings

http://mainehockeyjournal.com/2008/1...-for-portland/

Quote:
The Pirates won’t be seeing anybody from Buffalo, despite Matt Ellis being placed on waivers today. The Los Angeles King, who lost Ellis on waivers to the Sabres, reclaimed him shortly after the Sabres had to make a roster move in order to get down to the 23-man roster limit. Dineen said he expected Ellis to get claimed and wasn’t expecting him to make it to Portland. Dineen also said he wasn’t sure if Ellis would be heading to L.A. or assigned to Manchester as the Kings could assign him, once he’s reclaimed

CBGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 12:28 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

LOL

welcome back Matt...er...I guess...

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 01:31 AM
BurningBright

sweet

BurningBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 01:37 AM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
I prefer him over Zeiler. So I like this move.

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 01:37 AM
redcard

i like free stuff.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 01:40 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Haha....no number 8 for him!

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 02:53 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
LoL, I am not against us getting him back, especially if he gets sent to Manchester, but the move makes no sense in a depth chart sense. I thought we got Brad Richardson for the very reason to have in the lineup in case one of the younger players couldn't play the full season. We have several healthy scratches a game, what are we doing claiming Ellis again? Unless it is to play with the younger players in Manchester.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 03:24 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
LoL, I am not against us getting him back, especially if he gets sent to Manchester, but the move makes no sense in a depth chart sense. I thought we got Brad Richardson for the very reason to have in the lineup in case one of the younger players couldn't play the full season. We have several healthy scratches a game, what are we doing claiming Ellis again? Unless it is to play with the younger players in Manchester.
two different types of players at two different ages with two distinctly different projected upsides.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 03:48 AM
Ollie Weeks

I'm too drunk for this ****. Ellis part 2? Look the **** out!

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 05:20 AM
hans

Send a message via AIM to hans
If its for the AHL, where Ellis can add 25 goals and veteran presence to a young team, this is a smart move.

hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 05:34 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
two different types of players at two different ages with two distinctly different projected upsides.
Yeah, but I wasn't comparing the players, what I was aiming at there is where exactly is he going to fit on our offensive depth chart? We are a very deep organization at the forward position. I can only assume this is a move meant primarily for Manchester and to give them a boost.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 07:15 AM
King Blazer

There are no dibs for previous owning clubs with respect to waivers...

If Ellis was waived before noon yesterday, teams have until noon (NY time) today to place a claim on him...

There are no first rights of refusal for previous owning clubs with respect to waivers...

Given that it is past October 31st, the claim priority order is based on percentage of possible points in the standings as of the time waivers were requested. There were a few teams ahead of the Kings on the priority list as of 11/7. Islanders, Panthers, Avs, and Thrashers look to be ahead of the Kings in priority and Dallas and the Kings were even...

There are no dibs for previously owning clubs with respect to waivers..

He can only be assigned directly to Manchester IF and ONLY IF, the Kings are the only club to place a claim on him by the noon (NY time) deadline today...

In case people are interested, the original owning club (Kings in this case because it is the same season Buffalo claimed him off waivers from the Kings) is not afforded dibs or first right of refusal or whatever folks want to call it relative to waivers under the CBA...

It very possible may turn out that the Kings do get Ellis back off waivers, and it very well may turn out that the Kings are the only club to place a claim on him and that being the case, it may turn out that the Kings assign him to Manchester. We will know shortly after noon (NY time) today...

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 07:25 AM
RAZZIE King
König von Schaben

Does this mean that Zeiler is stuck in Manchester???

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 07:55 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLudwig View Post
Does this mean that Zeiler is stuck in Manchester???
Can't say that I'm sorry to say that no it doesn't. Zeiler is on a conditioning assignment loan to Manchester and as such he is on the Kings 23-man roster. Moulson was assigned to Manchester to make room for Zeiler on the Kings roster. The Kings would need to waive Zeiler to assign him to Manchester...

Old
11-08-2008, 08:08 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
The Kings would need to waive Zeiler to assign him to Manchester...
What's the downside to this again?

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 08:52 AM
deano

Quote:
There are no dibs for previous owning clubs with respect to waivers...

If Ellis was waived before noon yesterday, teams have until noon (NY time) today to place a claim on him...

There are no first rights of refusal for previous owning clubs with respect to waivers...

Given that it is past October 31st, the claim priority order is based on percentage of possible points in the standings as of the time waivers were requested. There were a few teams ahead of the Kings on the priority list as of 11/7. Islanders, Panthers, Avs, and Thrashers look to be ahead of the Kings in priority and Dallas and the Kings were even...

There are no dibs for previously owning clubs with respect to waivers..

He can only be assigned directly to Manchester IF and ONLY IF, the Kings are the only club to place a claim on him by the noon (NY time) deadline today...

In case people are interested, the original owning club (Kings in this case because it is the same season Buffalo claimed him off waivers from the Kings) is not afforded dibs or first right of refusal or whatever folks want to call it relative to waivers under the CBA...

It very possible may turn out that the Kings do get Ellis back off waivers, and it very well may turn out that the Kings are the only club to place a claim on him and that being the case, it may turn out that the Kings assign him to Manchester. We will know shortly after noon (NY time) today...
Last night on the Monarchs radio feed, Lombardi came on and was talking about how he wanted Ellis in Manchester due to his work ethic and competitive spirit. Says he brings it every game, and is a good example to the young kids.

If he makes it to Manchester this time around, I think it will be a very good addition.

deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 09:10 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano View Post
Last night on the Monarchs radio feed, Lombardi came on and was talking about how he wanted Ellis in Manchester due to his work ethic and competitive spirit. Says he brings it every game, and is a good example to the young kids.

If he makes it to Manchester this time around, I think it will be a very good addition.
I agree with Lombardi and you on these points and believe me I'm hoping that it works out that the Kings are the only team to place a claim on him. I'm just trying to keep the cart where it needs to be...

Old
11-08-2008, 09:27 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
What's the downside to this again?
Basically it's a financial (salary CAP and operating cost) thing. If the Kings lost Zeiler on waivers, they'd be responsible for paying someone to clean the glass above the boards at the arena. Right now they've got him washing the glass with himself during games so they're saving a custodian salary. If they lose Zeiler on waivers, they'd need to add a custodian and per the current CBA, custodian's salaries do not count toward the CAP; so then they're probably messing with staying above the salary floor as well. In other words, although a custodian would be a fine addition in terms of floor maintenance, if the Kings can't get to the floor, there wouldn't be a floor for the custodian to maintain...

Of course then there's the whole entertainment factor to consider. I'll admit it can be pretty darn entertaining to watch Z do his bug on a windshield impression. Much like the whoppie cushion, the bug on a windshield impression is tireless entertainment that family members of all ages can enjoy over and over again. So there's that value to consider as well...

Tough call either way and I'm sure glad I'm not the one that has to make it!

Old
11-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Captain Ron

I like you KB....you're funny.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 10:58 AM
sueroe

Quote:
Basically it's a financial (salary CAP and operating cost) thing. If the Kings lost Zeiler on waivers, they'd be responsible for paying someone to clean the glass above the boards at the arena. Right now they've got him washing the glass with himself during games so they're saving a custodian salary. If they lose Zeiler on waivers, they'd need to add a custodian and per the current CBA, custodian's salaries do not count toward the CAP; so then they're probably messing with staying above the salary floor as well. In other words, although a custodian would be a fine addition in terms of floor maintenance, if the Kings can't get to the floor, there wouldn't be a floor for the custodian to maintain...

Of course then there's the whole entertainment factor to consider. I'll admit it can be pretty darn entertaining to watch Z do his bug on a windshield impression. Much like the whoppie cushion, the bug on a windshield impression is tireless entertainment that family members of all ages can enjoy over and over again. So there's that value to consider as well...

Tough call either way and I'm sure glad I'm not the one that has to make it!

wow KB, your knowledge of the CBA is second to none!

I didn't mind Ellis at all before, but imagine as has been said they are making an attempt to bolster support in Manchester. Hopefully everything works out for that to happen.

sueroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 11:09 AM
Pucknut50

Matt Ellis never hurts an organization so why not.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Provided he makes it to Manchester, good veteran leader for the kids, I see nothing wrong with it.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 02:43 PM
teddygmr

not bad

teddygmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 03:24 PM
vcv
Deal with it