HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Game Thread: march 1rst, 7.30 pm - Devils - Canadiens

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2004, 08:53 PM
Guy Caballero

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rib71
guy that was not a dive.....it was an elbow or butt end of a stick!!!
Agreed. That looked painful. Quick jab to the mouth.

Fantastic game (except for about half of the third, when they stopped skating).

And to think, on the previous powerplay, I was yelling at the TV, "What the HELL is Ward doing out there?!"

6th place looks like a real possibility now. Who would've thought that two weeks ago?

Old
03-01-2004, 08:54 PM
Belarus Rocket

Send a message via MSN to Belarus Rocket
Great game By the Habs,The Ward goal was verry beautiful,like we say In french Le 2 effort!!!

Old
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicpea
you know, ever since i started betting that we'd lose 4-1 (5 times now) we've won. It's killing me in the betting thread but I am very happy!
I say we give this guy 200 points everytime he predicts a 4-1 loss and we win :p

Old
sundaystar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff88
Seriously, I didn't see Niedermayer's penalty on Ribeiro and it's obvious that RDS won't say that it wasn't merited so anyone can tell me if it was? The Devils looked angry at the end of the game so I wonder if it was a good call.
i watched the game on my american dish and the penalty was merited. Niedermayer hit ribeiro in the head. Although Ribeiro stayed on the ice a tad too long.

Old
03-01-2004, 08:55 PM
obcd1

you gotta enjoy it when you see Ward score a goal, you see in his face how happy he is

Old
03-01-2004, 08:56 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff88
Seriously, I didn't see Niedermayer's penalty on Ribeiro and it's obvious that RDS won't say that it wasn't merited so anyone can tell me if it was? The Devils looked angry at the end of the game so I wonder if it was a good call.
I'll answer your question this way. If Niedermayer had pulled that stunt earlier in the game, Langdon would have been looking for him.

Old
03-01-2004, 08:56 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcd1
you gotta enjoy it when you see Ward score a goal, you see in his face how happy he is
thats what its all about

Old
03-01-2004, 09:00 PM
chicpea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerberos
I say we give this guy 200 points everytime he predicts a 4-1 loss and we win :p
Thanks Kerberos, I'd just prefer to go down as a martry though .

As for the Niedermeyer penalty, I didn't see it but heard it on CJAD and they were saying it should be reviewed for suspension as it was a vicious butt-end to the end. It sounds like maybe they were exagerating now. Ribs was bleeding though right?

Old
03-01-2004, 09:02 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Thanks Kerberos, I'd just prefer to go down as a martry though .

As for the Niedermeyer penalty, I didn't see it but heard it on CJAD and they were saying it should be reviewed for suspension as it was a vicious butt-end to the end. It sounds like maybe they were exagerating now. Ribs was bleeding though right?
It wasn't that bad. It was a penalty, and Ribeiro wanted to make sure it would be. That's all.

Old
03-01-2004, 09:02 PM
leafaholix*

Yay Habs.

You kept NJ at 78 points.

Old
03-01-2004, 09:03 PM
Carbonneau

Send a message via MSN to Carbonneau Send a message via Yahoo to Carbonneau
Brodeur was unreal tonight. He definitely deserved the 1st star.

Riberio and Ryder were the best 2 players out there not wearing pads.

Old
03-01-2004, 09:12 PM
BigM1ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonneau
Brodeur was unreal tonight. He definitely deserved the 1st star.

Riberio and Ryder were the best 2 players out there not wearing pads.
Zednick had a hell of a game too!! He ain't the 2nd star for nothing!

Old
03-01-2004, 09:14 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big M1ke
Zednick had a hell of a game too!! He ain't the 2nd star for nothing!
actualy the whole team played a pretty solid game for about 55 mins, there waz a 5 minute point in the 3rd where they really took over

but much props to the boys on a great game

Old
03-01-2004, 09:16 PM
Catala

Send a message via MSN to Catala
whouhou, i m back...

did you see that game..... seriously, it was uncredible. And Brodeur made me flip most of the time

Old
03-01-2004, 09:31 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...42&hubName=nhl

Old
03-01-2004, 09:55 PM
EaGLE1

Ribeiro's dive reminded me of Youngblood

Old
03-01-2004, 11:11 PM
Guy!

Five wins in a row, a pile of points up on the Sabres, and playing some very strong hockey tonight; this is the kind of situation Habs fans could only dream about at the beginning of the season. In fact, itís always interesting to look back and review some of the comments like: ďJulien sucks as a coach, the system sucks,Ē and ďThis team is awful, weíre going to finish last and get Ovechkin.Ē A little patience goes a long way, however I donít suspect Hab fans will really have learned from all this; next time the Habs struggle for a few games, itíll be the same story all over again.

Intensity was the word of the day for the Habs. The first two periods were extremely good, for all four lines, no less. There was a dominance along the boards, we won the majority of our one-on-one battles, and we were first to the puck with regularity. When the Devils came out to play in the third, the fact they dominated had less to do with us playing poorly as it did to do with them just playing infinitely better.

On a night like this, itís hard to find fault with anyone and harder to pick a Ďbestí player. Though I think in the end we can all agree that Brodeur was head and shoulders above all others tonight. For the Habs, though, this was truly a solid team effort, and one that will please everyone as they head out now on their four game road swing.

~~

Notes:

Theo: The goal was brutal, for sure. The original shot hit him in the glove and he couldnít hang on, thus leaving that fat and juicy rebound. However, other than that one play, he was stellar and, when the Habs needed him, he was there to shut the door. B+

Bouillon: Is there a better team in the league for him to play against? The Devil forwards are fast but small, much like him. Cube did well, as can be expected, dominating the smaller guys down low, and the fact that he has good foot speed and good overall speed meant that he wasnít beaten to much at all on this night. B+

Brisebois: Another solid night where he stuck to the basics, didnít do anything silly, and turned in what is starting to become the typical performance for him. Iíve said it before, Iíll say it again, when he sticks to those basics, while he may not be a $4 million defender, heís a top four guy on any team in hockey. B+

The pair: Fleet of foot, smart of pass, and positionally sound tonight, and against this type of team, thatís a good pairing. When you can collect the puck and turn it up for a quick counter, youíre looking very good. B+

Quintal: The Devils are smart and theyíre coached well, and you could see that because they attacked Quintal with speed a few times causing the big but slow man some fits. His big problem is slow feet, and therefore even when he starts out having great position, he can lose it fairly quickly when a Gionta or a Friesen attacks him. Still, he handled himself well and didnít let himself get beaten often. B

Komisarek: A tough game for him to be put back into the lineup. This kid has trouble making lightening fast decisions and those forwards of the Devils are zippy quick mini-men Ė and thatís not a favourable combination. I applaud Julien getting him back in the lineup and giving him a few minutes, but if anyone was expecting over ten, they were sorely mistaken. N/A

The pair: N/A

Rivet: He made one brutal giveaway, however made up for it by taking the puck back. It seems to me heís also improved his hitting much more lately; heís using the leg drive instead of just hitting guys with all upper body. That gives his checks that much more authority and when you combine it with his intensity he can be fairly formidable at times. There was one sequence I remember where he won a battle one-on-one, then chipped the puck up the boards where a Devil knocked it down. He then hammered this second in the boards, won the puck, and put a tape-to-tape pass to a Hab forward. Great turnaround this season. B+

Markov: He played with poise, patience, didnít get rattled or let himself be overrun with emotion, and was tremendously effective at both ends of the rink. Markov has found his game and then some. He wins his battles for the puck, is exceedingly effective at angling his man out and is wonderfully proactive on the puck. Iím not going to say ĎSouray whoí but if the big man was back, heíd be the number two. A

The pair: Going on three years of being together solidly makes this pairing a solid one. They each know what the other will do, where the other will go, and most importantly, know where the other is lacking in their game. Tonight, they were excellent together. A-

Langdon: He might need a few games break after all that ice time. Can someone get him to teach Ward and Dags how to skate because, for a muscle man, heís pretty nifty on the blades. N/A

Kilger: The Chad was fairly quiet tonight, though he did make a few solid plays early in the game either by winning the puck or working hard and finishing checks. Still, for him itís just not enough. N/A

Ward: Excellent positioning on the powerplay, none can argue that. The goal was a great one to get and will hopefully lift him out of what I think is a bit of lethargic play lately. Heís not finishing those checks like heís supposed to anymore, and thatís unfortunate. B-

The trio: At one point a puck ricocheted off a Devil defender and almost went in Ė it would have been Langdonís first goal. Just thought Iíd mention that here. N/A

Dackell: Unusually poor game from Dax. While he did his usual in the offensive zone and held onto the puck for eternities while waiting for help or killing off time, he also made a few bonehead passes which resulted in turnovers at the Hab blueline. Canít have that from a supposedly defensive player. C-

Juneau: If he bends over any lower when he skates down the ice I think heís going to start digging trenches with his nose. Made a couple of good rushes and promptly lost the puck deep in the Devil zone, worked well defensively again, and was smart off the puck. A solid game. B-

Begin: I dunno why Sunny was out, (or maybe he was in; he is, after all, Mr Invisible!) but I thought Begin played a very intelligent game on the third line. He knew he couldnít go nutso with his hitting and instead played a very controlled game. He was very good defensively, and as usual, when he did finish those checks, he made them count. B

The trio: Although the Gomez line was the most threatening all night, they were still mostly contained and confined to outside shots. When they penetrated, they were muzzled fairly effectively, and I feel Juneauís line did a very stand-up job. B+

Dagenais: Much better game tonight from the big man. He may not have scored, but he showed an intensity thatís been missing for a few games. He was also not standing still in the slot like Donkey Kong, just waiting for a pretty pass to hit him on the stick. He finished checks, made a few nice passes, and DIDNíT SHOOT FROM THE BLUELINE. The Forum Ghosts were smiling on us tonight. B-

Ryder: His shooting percentage took a hit from Brodeur tonight as his 423457 shots were all turned aside. He and Ribs have really developed a wonderful chemistry lately and tonight, with a porous Devil defence, it really showed. Further to that, he was finishing his checks (hard) and making some nice plays. What I really like is that heís willing to accept a hit to make a play Ė thatís a sign of maturity and of someone whoíll stick around and be successful at this level for a while. A-

Ribeiro: For two periods he was the best player on the ice (except Brodeur) and was making things happen every time he stepped on. The big difference between this game and recent games was that he made the second, third, and sometimes fourth efforts necessary to create. This third was less great, and at one point he stopped working for a puck, but overall, I felt this was his best game in a while. If he can bottle that first period especially, then use that every game all the time? Money. A-
The trio: As mentioned, Ribs and Ryder make a wonderful duo, and when Dags shows up and creates himself, then thatís a great line. For the most part, they were dominant, and on those rare occasions where one of the three went to sleep for a shift, the other two seemed to pick up the slack. Great game. A-

Perreault: Two in a row for Yanic the Great. That was another game where he was far more intense than usual. He won one-on-one battles, won board fights, and created quite a few plays. Playing on the wing is surely a challenge for him, but so far heís acquitted himself fairly well. B

Zednik: Beware. That goal may just open the floodgates; I mean, it was hardly the best of his year, but a goal is a goal and heíll be gripping that stick less like it was his long lost lover and more like itís an implement of mass goalation (pardon the Danny Gallivan-like making up of words). This is about the perfect time to wake up from the slumber and hit stride Ė going on this four game trip. Best of all? He was great along the boards as well. B+

Koivu: Another solid game where he created, was smart on and off the puck, and made things happen. It wasnít his best game, by any stretch, and he did a few things that caused for a raising of the Eyebrow, but overall it was another good game. Heís learning the Yzerman thing now Ė that the best leaders are not always the best scorers, but theyíre the guys you put anywhere to help the team. B+

The trio: Effective game for the three, and while they were the second best Hab line on this night, they were still great in the opposing zone. Unfortunately, with Perreault there, they win less board battles and that hurts somewhat. B+

Julien: Correct decision, as far as Iím concerned, to sit Dykhuis. Iíd rather go with five than have him in the lineup. I also like the way heís worked Markov back in after the lad had to deal with the death of his father. Now Markov is playing the best hockey of his career.

The team: Solid, solid application of the system. This, friends and neighbours, is a team that can compete in the playoffs and can challenge any team it comes across. The team that played the other night? Not so much, but tonightís Habs, oh yeah. When you play with that kind of intensity and work the game plan that well, youíre going places. As is typical for this team when it wins, the whole is better than the sum of its parts. A-

~~

Now that, to me, was a satisfying victory. Itís not because the Devils were slightly flat, which they were, but itís because we took advantage, played our system and dictated our game, and worked like there was no tomorrow. That was playoff hockey, and itís what will make us successful as we approach, and hopefully play in, les series.

Off we go on a four-game road swing which starts off against the Hosers of SanÖerÖSan Jose. Should be an interesting game if the team plays like it did tonight. Iíd be interested to see if we score 7 or 9 in a game like that against a team without Brodeur between the pipes. But, as usual, we canít take any games lightly, particularly in the wild, wild West where defence is a second thought and the attack is where itís at. Still, fun to think that weíll be going for six in a row; when was the last time we could say that?

Old
03-01-2004, 11:14 PM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future=Hossa
Great game By the Habs,The Ward goal was verry beautiful,like we say In french Le 2 effort!!!

God I love your avatar!

Old
03-01-2004, 11:17 PM
Corey

Another good point was that the Habs won over a goaltender that has been their nemesis. This follows a tough win against Kevin Weekes.

Old
03-02-2004, 01:01 AM
chicpea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy!
Begin: I dunno why Sunny was out, (or maybe he was in; he is, after all, Mr Invisible!)...Should be an interesting game if the team plays like it did tonight. Iíd be interested to see if we score 7 or 9 in a game like that against a team without Brodeur between the pipes. But, as usual, we canít take any games lightly, particularly in the wild, wild West where defence is a second thought and the attack is where itís at. Still, fun to think that weíll be going for six in a row; when was the last time we could say that?
As per, good post Guy! I have since heard that there may be post-concussion problems for our man Sunday. Who knows though.

As for SJ, it's them, out of all the Western teams we will soon face, that I worry most about. I've seen them play and consistently (if quietly) dominate several teams out here in the last few months, often while on the road. Of particular concern are Marleau and Cheechoo. Of course, we all remember the gentle Mr Kyle McLaren too..?

Old
03-02-2004, 05:10 AM
Necrophile

Quote:
Of course, we all remember the gentle Mr Kyle McLaren too..?
Game plan: get a 3 goal lead midway thru the third, and have Kilger, Langdon, and Bťgin take a few runs at McLaren! Make him their *****. That would be sweet! And a reminder to future playoff opponents that YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE HABS!

Old
03-02-2004, 06:40 AM
turnbuckle*

Ward's play has been lethargic lately? Give me a break!! Do you have to say something negaive about Ward after EVERY game, Guy? Usually you try to soften the blow by stating that you "like him", but then it's invariably followed by a putdown - AFTER EVERY GAME!!!

I don't know about anyone else, but I think this "grading" of every single game is just a bit overboard. Hell; it's tough to grade people on a half season, let alone after 60 minutes of play. To me the main purpose of this grading is that it has afforeded you the opportunity to say something negative about Ward on 50+ occasions. WE get it - you don't like him. Give it a rest already.

Old
03-02-2004, 07:05 AM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle
Ward's play has been lethargic lately? Give me a break!! Do you have to say something negaive about Ward after EVERY game, Guy? Usually you try to soften the blow by stating that you "like him", but then it's invariably followed by a putdown - AFTER EVERY GAME!!!

I don't know about anyone else, but I think this "grading" of every single game is just a bit overboard. Hell; it's tough to grade people on a half season, let alone after 60 minutes of play. To me the main purpose of this grading is that it has afforeded you the opportunity to say something negative about Ward on 50+ occasions. WE get it - you don't like him. Give it a rest already.
Just put Guy! on your "Ignore List"... there problem solved! :p

Old
03-02-2004, 08:03 AM
scosar

To me the main purpose of this grading is that it has afforeded you the opportunity to say something negative about Ward on 50+ occasions. WE get it - you don't like him. Give it a rest already.[/QUOTE]

Funny I said this in different words before and everyone jumped on me for giving Guy a hard time. I love reading his threads. I see about 90% of the games but look forward to reading the review when I miss a game.

But with Ward, it started out that he was an AHL player. Then ok ok he can play on the fourth line with the constant slagging about his skating and no way could he play on the top two lines. Then when he stepped in for Dags and looked good on the top two lines it was he has hands of stone and will never score. Last week Guy said that Wards Ice time was being cut and that he would be back in the AHL.

Give me a break. I don't think the guy is the second coming of Wayne or Mario. But he is something we don't have. A big guy who will take the punishment in front of the net. HE works his balls off every game. We have one great powerplay where all the smaller guys skate like stink and wheel the puck around. We have that because we haven't had traditional big centre in front of the net for years.

Yes he is not the most graceful skater ever. But how often have you seen where Ward didn't get somewhere when he needed to. Plus he wins almost every puck that he fights for on the boards. We have been screaming for somebody like that for years.

As for his hands. Geezus He was at the top of the AHL in scoring last year. That wasn't a fluke. The guy also was a top lacrosse player and won a national championship. He has produced everywhere he has been and now we play him on the fourth line with Begin and Langdon and wonder why he isn't racking up the points.

I am not saying he needs to be on the top two lines. If next year he is on a line with Bulis and Higgins as the third line, or on the fourth line with Plekanec and Langdon that would be fine too. But until we draft a big center I would like to see him on the second powerplay with his butt in the goalies face.

Old
03-02-2004, 08:37 AM
mcphee

I enjoy Guy's ratings because it's fun to compare viewpoints. No 2 fans see the exact same game. I think that it's a given that part of being a fan is a certain ammount of biase clouding objectivity. If we judged all players by the same yardstick, we wouldn't have had our K/R threads. I think Guy underrates Ward as I think he is a useful player who brings a lot to a team. I think his hands are fine, though I think his lack of lateral mobility will always hinder him. I disagree with Guy on Juneau as I find him wearing down to the point where you feel bad watching him. He still competes in his own end, but I think the end is near. I give Guy credit for putting his opinion out there consistently, if you don't like it, that scroll/mouse thing works pretty well. I agree with Sosar on Ward, rather than getting caught up in what he can't do, appreciate what he can. There have been players over the years who never had a clear established role on the team but contributed in their fashion. Houle,Brunet and even Murray Wilson come to mind, not that they were similar players but that whether it was injury or versatility, they bounced from line to line and filled whatever role the team needed. I do think that if more people agreed with me, this would be a better world. Well, time to feed the goats.

Closed Thread