HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

KHL Expenditures, Sustainability, and the Looming Economic Crisis

Old
11-29-2008, 08:50 PM
Zine

vCash: 500
Some guys from Lada

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 10:42 AM
YEMELIN74

Send a message via MSN to YEMELIN74
KHL Not paying is players

http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/ho...1-lundi5.shtml

is it true? i found this article in french. Jean-François Fortin is talking about how he was offered 1M a season to play in the KHL and after 2 months he didnt received any paycheck.
He also says that no one on his team (HC MVD of Moscow) was paid.

Also he's mentionning that when he arrived in Russia he was given cayen pepper and police plate to protect himself from thieves. Could that be true?

YEMELIN74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Siberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixTX View Post
http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/ho...1-lundi5.shtml

is it true? i found this article in french. Jean-François Fortin is talking about how he was offered 1M a season to play in the KHL and after 2 months he didnt received any paycheck.
He also says that no one on his team (HC MVD of Moscow) was paid.

Also he's mentionning that when he arrived in Russia he was given cayen pepper and police plate to protect himself from thieves. Could that be true?
I've never heard of this guy but looked up on the KHL website, he played for them 4 games and was -4. Registered 5 shots on goal and 8 penalty minutes. According to your link he was supposed to make $1 mln in two years. Or about $8,000 per game. So for 4 games he was supposed to make somewhere around $32,000. It is not clear why he was shipped out this quick, he might have been on a tryout contract but wasn't good enough for the league.

I don't know about rest of the stuff he is talking about, to me he sounds like he is just bitter about something.

Siberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 11:37 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
The part about KHL's altering/severing contracts is quite vague. I am not surprised there's much truth to what the guy's saying. He was on the capital's roster some years back too.

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Metallian*

why do these non-payment stories always originate from the French?

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 11:54 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Just curious, I heard from my friends in basketball that Dynamo Moscow (in basketball) is not getting subsidies from the government. Is this going on with the hockey teams?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 05:00 PM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Just curious, I heard from my friends in basketball that Dynamo Moscow (in basketball) is not getting subsidies from the government. Is this going on with the hockey teams?
Depends what team it is. Many clubs have at least some regional government sponsorship.....although that's not the case with every team.

Old
01-23-2009, 05:13 PM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
The part about KHL's altering/severing contracts is quite vague. I am not surprised there's much truth to what the guy's saying. He was on the capital's roster some years back too.
I believe a team can waive any player; however, that team must compensate player with 1/2 remaining salary if player is under 28. 28 or older it's 3/4 remaining salary.
Not sure about try-out contracts.

Old
01-24-2009, 12:45 AM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
I know the economy is bad, but people should be going to the games. Ticket prices aren't that high. It's good hockey, especially the Champions league games. They are awesome. People should support it, I know I would if I lived there.
Do you think games will sell out when the economy turns, and do you think this caliber of players will remain long term?

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 03:55 PM
JorgeRocks!

Terrible time to start a league. I doubt the KHL lasts long, and in this new economy much will change. I think almost all pro hockey in the south will die out, and most AHL teams will just have an AHL affiliate and share ECHL affiliates for the foreseeable future, reducing the number of minor pro teams in North America from the current 80 there will be in 2009-2010 (that includes AHL,ECHL, CHL, IHL and SPHL) to around 45, 30 AHL and 15 ECHL teams or maybe a new league that would still be at that AA level of hockey though. Interesting times ahead....

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 04:09 PM
FissionFire

Actually, the KHL started at a great time with oil at record levels and money pouring into Russia. Nobody really expected the bottom to drop out of the worldwide economy quite as quickly and dramatically as it did. I'm sure the KHL will lose some teams, just like the ECHL will and possibly the AHL. Even the NHL could see some franchises shuffling around.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 06:27 PM
JorgeRocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
Actually, the KHL started at a great time with oil at record levels and money pouring into Russia. Nobody really expected the bottom to drop out of the worldwide economy quite as quickly and dramatically as it did. I'm sure the KHL will lose some teams, just like the ECHL will and possibly the AHL. Even the NHL could see some franchises shuffling around.
I am pretty sure some NHL franchises will either fold or get moved

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 11:02 AM
BrianLeetch2

vCash: 803
Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
The KHL is having a rocky start what did you expect its the first year of the league...some poeple though right out of the gate it was going to be a smashing success but it wont be for at least another 5 years until it starts to show some progress......It will become a decent league and good for players that cant cut it in the NHL

BrianLeetch2 is offline   Reply With Quote