HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trading Gomez & Rozy

Old
11-13-2008, 02:46 PM
DontStepanMe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Get your facts straight. Roy won the Aves a cup in 1996, he was the real piece they were missingm way before Bourque got there.
umm I was talking about when the Aves won the cup back in 2000-2001. Roy was there still as well. Also they lost in the WCF the previous two years. Bourque got them over the hump. In fact they year after Bourque retired they went right back to losing in the WCF. The only major differences in those 4 seasons was Bourque.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 02:56 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
umm I was talking about when the Aves won the cup back in 2000-2001. Roy was there still as well. Also they lost in the WCF the previous two years. Bourque got them over the hump. In fact they year after Bourque retired they went right back to losing in the WCF. The only major differences in those 4 seasons was Bourque.
You said they only 'one'(i assume you meant won) one cup. They won two.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 02:58 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
You said they only 'one'(i assume you meant won) one cup. They won two.
I did mean won a cup. I was also referring to the Drury years there. my bad.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 06:51 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Drury>Gomez for the Rangers.

How about that PP lastnight? Looked pretty good huh? Who was missing? Gomez. Thank you. If he is so great and all the gm's and hockey minds would vote him a #1 center then he should be very easy to trade since they would think he is paid for what he is. Year 5 of this rebuilding thing and there was supposed to be some grand plan wasnt there? I dind't realize it was to screw our cap giving players way too much money so we can clone the Devils system.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Balej20*

I know I'm jumping in a little late here...but I'm all for trading Rozsival and Gomez. Get their overpaid, underperforming butt's outta here.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 12:17 AM
Banks3rdLineCenter

I'm really under the impression that our cap situation is going to prevent us from getting that big goal scoring winger we seem to need right now, especially considering the fact that we need to get Staal, Dubi and Zherdev new contracts at the end of the season.

I think our best hope would be to make some type of package and try to get a high first round draft pick. This year's draft is supposed to be really deep and I think creating some type of package with Rozy and Prucha might be able to land us a top ten - top 15 first round pick. Granted, it's not an immediate answer but at least it could give us some high end goal scoring talent for the system, which is something we desperately need right now.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 04:15 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
[QUOTE=rangersfan30;16298010]Dont you think with a player like Kovalchuk he is capable of making things happen himself? the only difference is Kovalchuk would finish chances not hit the glass or goalie.
QUOTE]

Most definitely. Like Jagr in his prime...
Kovy has/had little support in Atl....Was he playing with Kozlov who I wouldn't have rated as a top playing center either.

but in order to get a hand at Kovy you would have to throw in 1 more player with Gomez......rozi is probably too much....but with Dawes or Prucha I'd be for it.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 04:21 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Drury>Gomez for the Rangers.

How about that PP lastnight? Looked pretty good huh? Who was missing? Gomez. Thank you. If he is so great and all the gm's and hockey minds would vote him a #1 center then he should be very easy to trade since they would think he is paid for what he is. Year 5 of this rebuilding thing and there was supposed to be some grand plan wasnt there? I dind't realize it was to screw our cap giving players way too much money so we can clone the Devils system.
Without a shadow of a doubt is Gomez the more talented player and better playmaker and that's what makes him IMO more attractive as trade bait. I would agree that Drury is staying put because he is a much better fit for us in his role as a no 2 Center and Captain.

Old
11-14-2008, 06:24 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

If I'm not mistaken, Gomez can't be dealt during the season, so much of this argument is pointless. However, what I do foresee down the road is Rozsival getting dealt in the upcoming off-season, (in order for the Rangers to get under the cap after the extensions they give to Dubinsky and Zherdev), and then, Gomez getting dealt in the off-season of 2010, (most likely by draft day), so they have money to sign Kovalchuk when he becomes a UFA, (where I think he's likely headed, regardless if Atlanta deals him before then...and that won't happen until near the trade deadline of 2010.)

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 09:04 AM
Fletch

I think people forget what it means to have a top line centerman take top line minutes against top defensive pairings. People seemed to underappreciate that trait Jagr provided which allowed guys lke Gomez and Drury to do their thing because the focus was on Jagr since every team basically said stop Jagr and get the puck by Henrik and the rest should take care of itself. Gomez enables Dubi to not be the focus, which gives him room to skate and grow. Gomez is not a #1 centerman, unless he's playing with true #1 guys, and even then I'm not sure he's a #1 centerman. But then again, Nylander really wasn't either and that works. He's not an elite player and I think people think that's what he's supposed to be. To me, he's doing what's expected of him.

As for Rozy...he's a second pair defenseman. He's paid like a UFA second pair defenseman. Perhaps it's a little off, but it's not far off. He's struggled a bit this season, but he's better than this and I think we'll appreciate him the next time he takes a shot off the shin, limps around and then takes another while killing a penalty.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I think people forget what it means to have a top line centerman take top line minutes against top defensive pairings. People seemed to underappreciate that trait Jagr provided which allowed guys lke Gomez and Drury to do their thing because the focus was on Jagr since every team basically said stop Jagr and get the puck by Henrik and the rest should take care of itself. Gomez enables Dubi to not be the focus, which gives him room to skate and grow. Gomez is not a #1 centerman, unless he's playing with true #1 guys, and even then I'm not sure he's a #1 centerman. But then again, Nylander really wasn't either and that works. He's not an elite player and I think people think that's what he's supposed to be. To me, he's doing what's expected of him.

I guess I agree but Gomez is really the only viable/expandable trade token we have.

Last edited by Trxjw: 11-14-2008 at 12:11 PM.
Old
11-14-2008, 01:43 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
rozsival should get traded but he wont for 3 reasons.

1) sather has a hard on for him and thinks hes he best thing since bobby orr as evidenced by the contract he handed to him over the summer

2) his contract is absurd, 4 years 5 million a year for a 4th dman is ridiculous and not many teams can take him

3) the few teams that can take him wont because its clearly evident that he sucks
Rozsival's contract is what it is because there were other teams out there willing to pay him that much. He logs more minutes than any other dman on the team and has been one of our best dmen over the last 3 years (though he struggled in the 2nd half last year due to the hip injury).

If you think he sucks, you really should pay closer attention. I guess if your analysis of him begins and ends with you screaming at him to shoot the puck on the PP, then yeah, I can see why you think he sucks. Try watching him on the PK, try watching him defend behind our net, or support the play in the offensive zone. He's been every bit as good as Redden this year, though neither has been as good as Girardi.

Rosy is expendable, but it's less because of his play than because of the play of Girardi, Staal and Mara.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Shake and Bake

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Gomez can't be dealt during the season, so much of this argument is pointless. However, what I do foresee down the road is Rozsival getting dealt in the upcoming off-season, (in order for the Rangers to get under the cap after the extensions they give to Dubinsky and Zherdev), and then, Gomez getting dealt in the off-season of 2010, (most likely by draft day), so they have money to sign Kovalchuk when he becomes a UFA, (where I think he's likely headed, regardless if Atlanta deals him before then...and that won't happen until near the trade deadline of 2010.)
Why can't he?

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 02:37 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake and Bake View Post
Why can't he?
I believe the rules of his NTC are that he will give the Rangers a list of 3 teams he will not accept a trade to. I'm not sure if that implies he can only be traded during the off-season though.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 08:38 PM
SovietWinger

Rozy hs 2 turnovers leading to goals so far tonight... the one on the powerplay was unforgivable. It gets harder and harder for me to stay positive on him.

SovietWinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 08:55 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Everything you said is wrong.

* We talked about Gomez being traded to death.

* Gomez is worth less than $7, about a million less.

* Korps and AA have nothing to do with Gomez. Neither will likely be first liners, and certainly not next year. Look for them to be third lienrs next year.

* You may be sure that Potter can cover for Rosie, but I will bet you anything that he most certainly cannot.

* Kovalchuk will not hit the FA market. IF he will, he will be more overpriced than anyone else just because so many people will want him. If a regular players gets a 10-25% premium for being a UFA (meaning no compensation has to be paid for him), then a superstar like Kovalchuk will get probably a 40-50% premium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
No one has hit on this topic it seems this season. Based on our cap problems and our need for scoring wingers, maybe Gomez is the best option for a trade along with Rozy.

1) Gomez is arguably worth around what he is at. I rather him be at 5 mil, but 7 isn't the worst. A team can take up the cap space and all we can ask for back maybe is a few picks and a legit prospect, maybe.

2) Gomez is the only one we can really trade out of the Gomez/Drury combo. He has the limited trade clause, where he chooses I believe 3 teams each year not to be traded too.

3) If we trade him, his 7.357 cap hit will be completely taken off the roster.

4) With Korpedo coming up and Anismov possibly next year, do we really need Gomez?.. I actually like Gomez as a player, but he is very one dimensional. His game could be of use to a different team for sure, possibly setting up a real top winger in the league.

5) Trading Gomez and Rozy will get us about 12+ mil of cap space free. Enough to resign our important RFA's so we dont regress and I'm sure Potter can cover for Rozy. Rozy has been anything but impressive, but simply average.

6) Important to note is that if we do this and Sather is planning to sign a player, it has to be a franchise player. None of this secondary bs. Either Kovy or someone along the lines... Thoughts?

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 09:28 PM
Celestial Black

Rozi and Pru for Vermette. Get it done.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 11:14 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0rac3 View Post
Rozi and Pru for Vermette. Get it done.
i would love to see that.....although i would then hope sather would try to remove some more forwards after that because dawes, korpikoski and fritsche all look like they should play everyday and the other lines are pretty much set without even gomez playing.....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote