HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Shanahan to sign with an NHL team this week?

Old
11-12-2008, 08:04 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs Fan View Post
In a few other sources it was said that Shanny is looking for a 1.5 - 2 mill contract. Which would eliminate the Flyers and Devils. Also, it was said that Shanny is not interested in the Blues. So that leaves Chicago, Pitt, and Boston. My hunch is he goes to Boston.
The Devs have a few million available now and they can always put Marty on LTR.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 08:12 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by redman View Post
exactly what he said, also Richards seems to be pooping the bed in the Captain area as well! This team needs more veteran leadership. The "C" should have gone to Timo instead.
richards has always been a great leader, i don't see how he's "pooping the bed" in this regard. do we need more veteran leadership? hell yes, the contributions of vets like smith and hatcher are often overlooked in our zeal for young talent. if we land shanahan, it will only help this team.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 08:13 AM
8thRoundPick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
The Devs have a few million available now and they can always put Marty on LTR.
The Devils are a very good fit for him - close to his NY home, and a lineup where he can make an immediate impact.

I think he'd look good in a Bruins uniform, and his leadership would be a great asset to the B's lineup of youth, but they have a glut of forwards. Someone would need to be moved for this to happen.

8thRoundPick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 10:06 AM
wiredmaverick

If I were Shanny I'd head for the Pens.
No matter which line he's put on he'll be playing withe a great center, plus I'm sure he'll at least get some powerplay time with Malkin and Crosby.

wiredmaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

The Devils would be a great fit for Shanahan. They need scoring on the right wing, Langenbrunner, and Gionta aren't doing anything for the power play and he'll help that unit immensely.

Parise-Elias-Shanahan
Martin-Rolston

as the Devils first PP unit when Martin and Rolston come back? It would be a lethal 1st unit as far as I'm concerned.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 10:17 AM
Jiri Bicek
Rusty Shackleford

Send a message via AIM to Jiri Bicek
I want Shanny in NJ very badly

He would provide great leadership, PP strength, and make a lower forward more expendable at the deadline for D

Unfortunately, I think Marty's injury might have hurt our chances.. I'll still remain hopeful..

Come back Shanny and make the year of the reunion full circle

Jiri Bicek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 10:29 AM
BrindamoursNose

Uh oh, Eklund sided with me. I just may be wrong afterall...

Quote:
Shanahan Update...

Today looks to be the day. I am told to expect something by the 3pm hour. Coming down to NJ and Philly I am told, however there may have been a late entry in the last hour...

Cheers,

Ek

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 10:30 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
I hope Shanny signs with a team that could use him. Not for his offense or what not, but a young team that could use him as a mentor. He could give a lot of kids some amazing advice. LA would be a good spot for that, or Phoenix, but i dont think it would happen as he would probably only want to go to a contender.

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 10:38 AM
MKennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
I hope Shanny signs with a team that could use him. Not for his offense or what not, but a young team that could use him as a mentor. He could give a lot of kids some amazing advice. LA would be a good spot for that, or Phoenix, but i dont think it would happen as he would probably only want to go to a contender.
not only the contender aspect but he's said from the beginning, he's staying on the east coast.

In the end, my guess is it'll be NJ. I would have said the Islanders, but let's be serious for a second. No one wants to go there.

MKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 11:37 AM
TopProspecT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
Thats why i want him wit us in Chicago, even though i dont really see how we can fit him in with our cap problems.

TopProspecT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 11:39 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

I'm going to go with my gut and say NJ and Philly are out since Ek said they're the two contenders left. Shanahan signs in Boston, he lives there in the off-season and they need scorers apparently. I say he goes there.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 11:40 AM
dawkins121

I would love to have him in Philly but Jersey makes too much sense.

He loves NY and doesn't want to leave the NY area and East Rutherford is closer to the city than Philly is.

The Flyers need veteran leadership, but they need it a lot more coming from the back end on D, not so much in the form of another forward. On the other hand the Devils would probably love what he could do for their power play.

And finally, with the recent acquisition of Carle the Flyers wouldn't have the cap room to have both Jones and Parent back once they come off the IR which means Parent will probably have to be sent down or someone will have to be traded to stay under. That's not exactly a cap situation that screams "sign another veteran player", even if Shanahan is looking for a lowball contract.

Even the playing for a contender angle is out because, as hyped up as the Flyers were before the season, they certainly haven't been playing like contenders.

The only real thing I can see that the Flyers have going for them at this point is that they would have a better cast of forwards that Shanahan could play with. If you don't click with Richards, maybe you'll get better chemistry with Briere or Carter. They'll all get you scoring chances. On the other hand the Devils only seem to have one player that can get the puck in the net (Parise).

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

[QUOTE=dawkins121;16283338]I would love to have him in Philly but Jersey makes too much sense.
Quote:
He loves NY and doesn't want to leave the NY area and East Rutherford is closer to the city than Philly is

A lot closer. He can live in Manhattan and play for the Devils. Newark is only a few miles away from Midtown Manhattan. Think Philly to Cherry Hill. In saying that, I doubt he joins the Devils.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 11:52 AM
daveskirtun
:o)

vCash: 920
Please help us Shanny

daveskirtun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 12:09 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs Fan View Post
In a few other sources it was said that Shanny is looking for a 1.5 - 2 mill contract.
Dang, Gillis should just offer him $4 million.

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 12:35 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Dang, Gillis should just offer him $4 million.
The point is that he's not looking for money,he's looking for location and contention.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 12:42 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Watch Phoenix swoop in and sign him.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 12:51 PM
snepsts27

I know it would never happen, but seeing Shanny in nucks uni would be sweet. Always been my top 3 favorite players. I think he would be a great compliment to Hank and Danny.

snepsts27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 01:59 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
The point is that he's not looking for money,he's looking for location and contention.
If money had zero relevance for him, then why not offer his services to the Habs for $500,000? It might not hold as much influence as location - but I don't think you can totally ignore it either.

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 02:04 PM
ohmbrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schennsation View Post
I think Ottawa would be a good fit
Many of the posters on the Ottawa board feel that Shanny has slowed down too much, but I honestly think he's exactly what the Sens need.

The Ottawa coaching staff keep rotating wingers to play with Spezza and Heatley, and the team keeps trying out young guys. I think Shanny would be the perfect winger for Spezza and Heatley. He'd help teach them a little accountability too.

I really hope Ottawa finds a way to sign him, but I haven't heard a peep about Ottawa being in the fold, so I doubt it happens.

ohmbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 02:07 PM
onlyhockey*

looks like shanny is going to be a devil - cap space issues in philly and issues with clarke - devils will probably place brodeur on long term ir with paul martin to get cap space - shanahan will wear #10 - and dress friday night in washington

onlyhockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 02:08 PM
Jiri Bicek
Rusty Shackleford

Send a message via AIM to Jiri Bicek
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDEVS95 View Post
looks like shanny is going to be a devil - cap space issues in philly and issues with clarke - devils will probably place brodeur on long term ir with paul martin to get cap space - shanahan will wear #10 - and dress friday night in washington
Don't tease me like that

Jiri Bicek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 02:10 PM
onlyhockey*

onlyhockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 02:14 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
I have a bad feeling that the Bruins will sign him...

:

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 02:14 PM
Bruins Stooge
Spread Out

id be really surprised to se him come to boston. the lines are meshing really well and unless chia traded a guy like axe i cant see it happen. also chiarelli wont want to sit the young guys either, the way wheeler has been playing, and nokelainen and sbotka already arent palyin now with the comeback of kobasew and what not.

then again who knows.

i think pitt would be a really good fit, but NJ is the likely location IMO

Bruins Stooge is offline   Reply With Quote