HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jason Blake

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-11-2008, 04:37 PM
  #26
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)
 
dubey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
If the Leafs bundled Schenn with Blake, maybe they'd get Penner.

Penner is playing tough comp (i.e not against mincemeat 4th liners) is a +6 on a weak ES team.
4 points in 15 games

niceeeeeeee

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 04:37 PM
  #27
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,211
vCash: 500
Darryl Sydor

Trade negative value for negative value.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 04:39 PM
  #28
voxel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 10,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
Darryl Sydor

Trade negative value for negative value.
I doubt the Pens want 3 more years of Blake for 1 year of Sydor.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 04:42 PM
  #29
TOG26
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
4 points in 15 games

niceeeeeeee
If you haven't seen him play a game this year, which obviously you haven't I wouldn't make this comment. He played on a checking line till last week. Due to Edmonton trying Erik Cole on the top line.

TOG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 04:44 PM
  #30
voxel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 10,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
4 points in 15 games

niceeeeeeee
He helps the Oilers win games. His production dropoff can be attributed to him getting minimal PP time (this only changed in the last game or two).

Personally, I'd rather have a player have 0pts and be a +50 than a player with 40pts and is -20. I have no interest in icing a team full of Lupuls and Blakes.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 04:51 PM
  #31
Blackfader*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
I doubt the Pens want 3 more years of Blake for 1 year of Sydor.
Sydor may be overpaid 1.5m but blake is by 3m for 3 years. If leafs added a great prospect then maybe.

Blackfader* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 04:58 PM
  #32
Porn*
Registered User
 
Porn*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In your nightmares
Country: Israel
Posts: 33,614
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Porn*
i'd send him to the marlies...

buy out isn't an option,, why pay out a mistake over 6 years?

Porn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 04:59 PM
  #33
Rayne*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,298
vCash: 500
Nothing.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 05:04 PM
  #34
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth
 
HockeyThoughts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,023
vCash: 500
Although I agree Blake has negative trade value, is a whiny piece of **** and can't produce if his life depended on it..But really Penner with his 4pts in 15gp with a higher cap hit then Blake..It's not like hes devoid of chances, he plays 17mins a game. From what I saw of Penner in Anaheim and now in Edmonton he is very inconsistent and is a pretty slow skater, and he looks quite lazy at times.

No doubt about it Penner is a decent young-ish player but he is the highest paid player on the team and he simply does not produce like one. Blake might go well with Hemsky..Both smooth skating one likes to pass the other likes to shoot(a lot).

Guess what I made that proposal Blake+White for Penner, and I really don't think its all that bad. Penner does not produce, well neither does Blake. A change of scenery could help both players.


Last edited by Kristia: 11-11-2008 at 05:15 PM. Reason: removed deleted quote
HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 05:15 PM
  #35
victor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
Although I agree Blake has negative trade value, is a whiny piece of **** and can't produce if his life depended on it..But really Penner with his 4pts in 15gp with a higher cap hit then Blake..It's not like hes devoid of chances, he plays 17mins a game. From what I saw of Penner in Anaheim and now in Edmonton he is very inconsistent and is a pretty slow skater, and he looks quite lazy at times.
You obviously haven't been watching very closely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
No doubt about it Penner is a decent young-ish player but he is the highest paid player on the team and he simply does not produce like one.
Huh? On the Oilers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
Blake might go well with Hemsky..Both smooth skating one likes to pass the other likes to shoot(a lot).
Have you been watching Hemsky this season?

Hemsky, with 5 goals in 15 games, 3rd on the team in shots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
Guess what I made that proposal Blake+White for Penner, and I really don't think its all that bad. Penner does not produce, well neither does Blake. A change of scenery could help both players.
Penner produces fine.

I haven't heard any Oiler fan that would trade for Blake's contract (which has less than no value.) and White (who has little value to Edmonton.)

victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 05:51 PM
  #36
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth
 
HockeyThoughts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,023
vCash: 500
Meant highest paid offenceman over the likes of Hemsky, or Cole.

Oh wow Hemsky has 5goals in 15gp! Must mean hes a bigtime goalscorer..OR a more logical person would assume hes on a hot streak seeing has he didn`t score ONE goal for his first 10 games, and has scored his last 5 in his last 5gp. Hemsky's career high in goalscoring 20..and he hit that just ONCE in his 5 NHL seasons. Hemmer is a great NHL player, a great passer but a very streaky goal scorer. His role on the team, first and foremost is a playmaking winger. There is not one doubt in my mind if you put Hemsky on a line with a pure goalscorer ala Kovalchuk, Gaborik or even (forgive me god) Jason Blake his point totals would increase. Mind you, no where did I say Kovalchuk or Gaborik are on as low as a level of Jason Blake, I'm just saying he has managed to hit 40goals once and 20+ multiple times in his career, and with a great passer it wouldn't be crazy to say he`d hit 20+ easily again.

Yeah 4pts in 15gp is producing fine. Be in denial all you want Oiler fan, but Penner has not been what you have paid for at all this season. "Oh but hes a great checker with a great +/- !!!!!11" Those are available on FA for 1-2m..not 4.25m + 1st, 2nd and 3rd draft pick.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 06:09 PM
  #37
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 26,541
vCash: 500
Economics Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel;16268866I
...what would a GM give up for him?
It is no stretch to suggest that Blake's trade value at this time is, literally, negative.

Remember, you are trading contracts in the NHL, not simply players.

He has under-produced, is not inexpensive, is older and is locked in for several years.

So, even were a team to give up "just" a late round draft pick, they would be TAKING ON THE BURDEN ON HIS CONTRACT.

That matters.

The only way Toronto could possibly find a buyer, IMO, is if they were to take on (significant) salary in return.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 06:21 PM
  #38
TheKiller93
Registered User
 
TheKiller93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 585
vCash: 500
Maybe Sundin could do us a favor and do a sign and trade.

If he signed for 7 mil, and then we traded him to vancouver....

in exchange, Vancouver could also take Blake off of our hands so I never have to watch him play "hockey" ever again

Van city would end up paying the same amount as they were going to pay Sundin if he was a free agent, and they have an extra body to keep the press box warm in Blake...

This all presumes Sundin wants to do us a humungous favor.

TheKiller93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 06:22 PM
  #39
TheKiller93
Registered User
 
TheKiller93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiller93 View Post
Maybe Sundin could do us a favor and do a sign and trade.

If he signed for 7 mil, and then we traded him to vancouver....

in exchange, Vancouver could also take Blake off of our hands so I never have to watch him play "hockey" ever again

Van city would end up paying the same amount as they were going to pay Sundin if he was a free agent, and they have an extra body to keep the press box warm in Blake...

This all presumes Sundin wants to do us a humungous favor.
bonus points if VanCity gives us Welly back

TheKiller93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 06:24 PM
  #40
victor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
Oh wow Hemsky has 5goals in 15gp! Must mean hes a bigtime goalscorer..OR a more logical person would assume hes on a hot streak seeing has he didn`t score ONE goal for his first 10 games, and has scored his last 5 in his last 5gp.
You really should youtube a few of the last five goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
Hemsky's career high in goalscoring 20..and he hit that just ONCE in his 5 NHL seasons. Hemmer is a great NHL player, a great passer but a very streaky goal scorer. His role on the team, first and foremost is a playmaking winger. There is not one doubt in my mind if you put Hemsky on a line with a pure goalscorer ala Kovalchuk, Gaborik or even (forgive me god) Jason Blake his point totals would increase. Mind you, no where did I say Kovalchuk or Gaborik are on as low as a level of Jason Blake, I'm just saying he has managed to hit 40goals once and 20+ multiple times in his career, and with a great passer it wouldn't be crazy to say he`d hit 20+ easily again.
While he could use the talents of a real shooter, by your own admission, Blake isn't likely to repeat his highest total for goal scoring. Even with Hemsky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
Yeah 4pts in 15gp is producing fine. Be in denial all you want Oiler fan, but Penner has not been what you have paid for at all this season. "Oh but hes a great checker with a great +/- !!!!!11" Those are available on FA for 1-2m..not 4.25m + 1st, 2nd and 3rd draft pick.
Funny - it was on the Toronto board that this was first proposed. Near as I can tell, no one in Edmonton is calling for Penner to be traded for Blake+White.

Penner (who led the Oilers in scoring last season, btw.) was traded for:
  • Marc-Andre Bergeron, for 9 games, 1 assist, 4PIM, -2
  • Jake Gardiner
  • Nicholas Deschamps
  • Eric O'Dell
  • Justin Schultz
  • Brandon McMillan

Is he overpaid? Yes. Do Oiler fans really care about him being overpaid? Not at this time. Will he be better than any/all of the players on the above list? Time will tell. That said, he's good enough that fans of another team want to trade for him.

victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 06:31 PM
  #41
dybbuk
Registered User
 
dybbuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Freddy Beach
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOG26 View Post
If you haven't seen him play a game this year, which obviously you haven't I wouldn't make this comment. He played on a checking line till last week. Due to Edmonton trying Erik Cole on the top line.
He was responding to voxel saying that if we added Schenn with Blake we 'might' get Penner in return. That's ridiculous, so try to pay attention to your own comments.

dybbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 06:34 PM
  #42
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth
 
HockeyThoughts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor View Post
You really should youtube a few of the last five goals.
I actually watched the game where he scored 2 goals..While they were beautiful goals that looked completely effortless it really does not make him a bonafide goalscorer by any means..

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor View Post
While he could use the talents of a real shooter, by your own admission, Blake isn't likely to repeat his highest total for goal scoring. Even with Hemsky.
So you're saying he wouldn't benefit from having a pure goalscorer on his line? Oh well thats understandable seeing as you seem to beleive HES the pure goal scorer..I guess you should go over to that ''Eklund top 25 players to be traded'' and make a bid for Savard.

Also I never said he'd hit 40 ever again, I said he could easily hit 20+ once again.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 06:51 PM
  #43
victor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
I actually watched the game where he scored 2 goals..While they were beautiful goals that looked completely effortless it really does not make him a bonafide goalscorer by any means..
Hemsky has been able to put up points with a great number of different players.

Even players that some label as "very inconsistent and is a pretty slow skater, and he looks quite lazy at times" can score 20+ goals playing with him.

That's not to say that Penner is a goal scorer - even with his injury (which I'm sure that you are aware of, as you follow the team closely,) that's had him listed as questionable for games, he's kept playing, and while he's not scoring from the third line, he's still contributing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
So you're saying he wouldn't benefit from having a pure goalscorer on his line? Oh well thats understandable seeing as you seem to beleive HES the pure goal scorer..I guess you should go over to that ''Eklund top 25 players to be traded'' and make a bid for Savard.

Also I never said he'd hit 40 ever again, I said he could easily hit 20+ once again.
A 35 year old winger, with 15 goals last season, who's played his way into the press box, that could "easily hit 20+" once again?

Perhaps for the Marlies.

victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 07:08 PM
  #44
Spawn
Registered User
 
Spawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
I actually watched the game where he scored 2 goals..While they were beautiful goals that looked completely effortless it really does not make him a bonafide goalscorer by any means..


So you're saying he wouldn't benefit from having a pure goalscorer on his line? Oh well thats understandable seeing as you seem to beleive HES the pure goal scorer..I guess you should go over to that ''Eklund top 25 players to be traded'' and make a bid for Savard.
A pure goal scorer who scored a grand total of 15 goals last year...

White wouldn't even play in the Oilers top 6, and Blake is a healthy scratch for the Leafs... what would possibly possess the Oilers to trade Penner for him? Even if Penner isn't producing, at least he isn't being a healthy scratch.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 07:13 PM
  #45
Kirk Maltby*
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 468
vCash: 500
A box of donuts, no cream filling.

Kirk Maltby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 07:15 PM
  #46
Volcanologist
Habitual User
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kessel Apocalypse
Country: Germany
Posts: 19,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
If the Leafs bundled Schenn with Blake, maybe they'd get Penner.


Yeah, ok.

Volcanologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 07:16 PM
  #47
Volcanologist
Habitual User
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kessel Apocalypse
Country: Germany
Posts: 19,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
The only way Toronto could possibly find a buyer, IMO, is if they were to take on (significant) salary in return.
Yeah, I think it's a given that the Leafs would have to take a contract back. Question is, who has one that fits the bill as well as wanting Blake?

Volcanologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 07:18 PM
  #48
LeafsGetTavares*
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 825
vCash: 500
Well, Jason Blake not only is he not a very good play from his contract he is an ******* to both the franchise and the fans and he shoots from basically anywhere hes a hog i have seen him shoot on a two on 1 from the goal line trying to go short side in a 2 on 0 with sundin he also causes sooooo many turnovers and he doesn't back check

He has 60 shots ffs and only 2 goals to show

LeafsGetTavares* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 07:21 PM
  #49
Kirk Maltby*
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
Yeah, I think it's a given that the Leafs would have to take a contract back. Question is, who has one that fits the bill as well as wanting Blake?
Who is a disappointment in the NHL with the biggest contract? I could see a team like Atlanta take him, because no one cares about hockey there.

Kirk Maltby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 07:28 PM
  #50
Kirk Maltby*
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 468
vCash: 500
Blake and a prospect to Nashville for Radulov?

Kirk Maltby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.