HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2/29 GDT: Kings @ Ducks (home and home finale)

Closed Thread

Old
02-29-2004, 01:58 PM
LuckyLUC20

vCash: 500
2/29 GDT: Kings @ Ducks (home and home finale)

Los Angeles Kings (25-17-15-7) VS. Anaheim Mighty Ducks (22-26-9-8)

Game Time: 1:00 PM PST/ 4:00 PM EST
Where: Arrowhead Pond, Anaheim, California
TV Broadcast: regional coverage by ESPN
Radio Broadcast: KSPN AM 710
Online broadcast: [NHL.COM] | [KVTA AM 1520]

**No Television Pre-Game show. Nick and Darryl will be on the radio at 12:30 PM PST for their radio pre-game show.**

If a positive can be taken away from an injury-riddled Los Angeles Kings season, it would have to be their resilience, hard work and proving people wrong. Add to that young players ready to play in the NHL whenever they get the call. That was the case with rookie defenseman, Denis Grebeshkov. Grebeshkov is highly touted as the Kings' top prospect. In fact, on the TSN website, he is listed as a possible future Norris Trophy candidate. Grebeshkov was the 2002 first round draft pick by the Kings. The Russian native is only 20 years old and has the talent to become a number one defenseman for an NHL team. The Kings hope he will be the number one for them in the future and for years to come. Grebeshkov logged 17:54 minutes of ice time during the Ducks/Kings game yesterday and impressed his coach. "I don't know if he has a pulse or not. He got in at about a quarter to 12 [on Friday]. Just stepped in the lineup today. Very smooth and cool with the puck." (Andy Murray). The Kings have had to use 38 players this year due to the many injuries that have plagued them all season long. Grebeshkov is wearing the number 38. Among the 38 players are rookies Tim Gleason and Tomas Zizka. Both have been paired together for the past several games and have played very solid for the Kings. The Kings may very well have one of the most inexperienced blue lines in the NHL, but the young guys are showing the Kings what they can bring to the team. Gleason had a moment in the third period of the Ducks/Kings game where he leveled star center of the Mighty Ducks, Sergei Fedorov. It drew cheers from the crowd seeing young Tim Gleason show no fear against a star like Fedorov. Tomas Zizka added a goal in the game in the first period. He has points in four straight games now and is starting to show the Kings what he could be in the future. The development of the young players is what the organization for years have been preaching. "Building from within." These players are showing us the meaning of that statement.

The Los Angeles Kings and Anaheim Mighty Ducks met at Staples Center for a matinee of Southern California hockey. Both teams wanted the two points, but it was a matter of who wanted it more. For the first two periods, it was the Kings bringing it to the Mighty Ducks as they out-shot and out-hit them for all but 10 or so minutes in the game. The game started off with the Ducks sustaining pressure but could not keep it up. Kip Brennan and Garret Burnett set the tone for the rest of the game as the two were involved in fisticuffs. Brennan got the best of Burnett as his punches connected and made him bleed. He got an ovation from the crowd. The fight seemed to have sparked the Kings as they scored first after Luc Robitaille's shot rebounded and Tomas Zizka kept wacking at the puck which got past Ducks goalie Jean-Sebastien Giguere in the first period. Giguere made 35 saves. After a scoreless second period, the Kings got back on the board in the third after Derek Armstrong's pass made it's way to Luc Robitaille. Robitaille lined up his shot and slapped it right past Giguere to give the Kings a 2-0 lead. "We were dangerous today. I think almost every shift we had a chance, and when you get a scoring chance almost every shift, you know sooner or later the puck is going to go in." (Luc Robitaille). Later in the third, Ducks' rookie Joffrey Lupul kept them in the game as he scored to make it 2-1 Kings. From then on, it was all Ducks. They had many great chances at tying the game up, but Cristobal Huet came up huge for the Kings as he only limited the Ducks to one goal. "He's been outstanding. He's our best player." (Mattias Norstrom). The game ended in a 2-1 victory for the Kings which moved them up to 7th place in the Western Conference. They jumped over the idle Calgary Flames.

For the Ducks, it was a crushing blow as they gave up two points to a team they are trying to catch in the standings. "There was a feeling that we had to get it done and we didn't. We have the standings in the room. We knew we needed to win two this weekend. We didn't seem to have any urgency or anything like that." (Joffrey Lupul). The Mighty Ducks found out they will be without Mike Leclerc after he re-aggravated a hip injury in the game. "I don't know if we put them away, I wouldn't say that. I expect their best game (Sunday), but we can't afford to lose any games or give up any points because it's too tight a race." (Luc Robitaille). The game was filled with playoff intensity, something that could be great for Southern California hockey. "This is just great for hockey. I think it's kind of a mirror image of what it would be like if the Kings and Ducks were to ever play each other in the playoff series. We have a playoff-type intensity, I don't care what anybody says, and maybe more so than the three times we played." (Murray).

Previous Meeting(s) this year: (Kings 3-0-1-0)

January 7, 2004 - Kings 4, Ducks 4 OT In a wild and up and down game, the Kings and Mighty Ducks battled to a 4-4 draw. The Kings started the scoring when Trent Klatt was parked in front of JS Giguere and scored to make it 1-0 Kings. Michael Holmqvist answered back later in the first as he scored his very first NHL goal of his career. Five minutes later, Alexander Frolov gave the Kings a 2-1 lead on the power play. However, just seconds later, Holmqvist scored his second goal of the game to tie it back up at 2-2. Two minutes later, Sergei Fedorov gave the Ducks a 3-2 lead headed into the second period. After being benched by Andy Murray for the incident against the Phoenix Coyotes, Sean Avery came back to score the tying goal in the second period. In the third, Brad Chartrand gave the Kings a 4-3 lead, but Todd Simpson, who now plays for the Ottawa Senators scored his first of the year to tie it up. Neither of the teams could take the extra point in overtime. Cristobal Huet started the game but was pulled after allowing three goals on 11 shots in the first period. Roman Cechmanek came in and allowed one goal.

January 24, 2004 - Kings 4, Ducks 2 Esa Pirnes had a big night against the Ducks. He scored his first NHL goal after a very nice set-up by fellow rookie, Dustin Brown. Brown had just returned from the IR, missing 26 games. Rob Niedermayer tied it up on a power play goal later in the first period as the Ducks really controlled the flow early on. Roman Cechmanek kept the Kings in the game and gave them a chance to regroup in the second. That's exactly what they did as Sean Avery scored as he crashed the net. Eric Belanger's shot rebounded onto Avery's stick and the puck flew over Giguere's shoulder and into the net. Two minutes later, Joe Corvo scored to give the Kings a 3-1 lead. Luc Robitaille scored late in the second to give the Kings a nice 4-1 lead. Vaclav Prospal added a goal 12 minutes into the 3rd but that was all as Cechmanek shut the door on the Ducks.

January 28, 2004 - Kings 4, Ducks 3 OT The Ducks started the scoring as Steve Rucchin netted in a power play goal. Scott Barney scored for the Kings one minute into the second period to tie the game up at one a piece. Kings then took the lead after Luc Robitaille's power play goal from Trent Klatt and Lubomir Visnovsky. Steve Rucchin tied it up once again two minutes into the third period at two a piece. A minute later, Jozef Stumpel scored to give the Kings a 3-2 lead but defenseman Ruslan Salei scored later on to send the game into overtime. Former Duck, Todd Simpson turned the puck over at center ice as Jozef Stumpel kept pressuring him. Stumpel then stole the puck and got it to an open Joe Corvo who blasted a shot past Giguere to give the Kings only their second overtime victory of the season.

February 28, 2004 - Kings 2, Ducks 1 See above.

News and Notes:
  • Today's game will be broadcasted regionally by ESPN.
  • 10 of the last 13 meetings have been decided by one goal or less.
  • Anaheim has won six of it's last seven home games.
  • Anaheim is 3-6-3-1 in Sunday games this season.
  • This is the last game of the home and home series. These two teams don't meet up again until March 14 in Los Angeles.

Injury Update:
  • Aaron Miller failed a strength test in his right shoulder but will be retested next week. (LA Times).

Team Comparisons: (from ESPN.com)

vs.

Leading Scorers:

Forwards:
Frolov, LA - 41 points (20 G, 21 A, +15)

Fedorov, ANA - 51 points (21 G, 30 A, -7)

Defensemen:
Modry, LA - 27 points (4 G, 23 A, +14)

Havelid, ANA - 21 points (5 G, 16 A, -21)

GAA:
LA - 2.56 (20th in NHL)
ANA - 2.58 (21st in NHL)

Avg. Shots Against:
LA - 26.9 (13th in NHL)
ANA - 29.2 (21st in NHL)

Save %:
LA - .905 (20th in NHL)
ANA - .912 (11th in NHL)

Shutouts:
LA - 8 (3rd in NHL)
ANA - 4 (22nd in NHL)

Avg. Shots:
LA - 28.8 (12th in NHL)
ANA - 29.8 (6th in NHL)

Avg. Goals:
LA - 2.64 (10th in NHL)
ANA - 2.17 (27th in NHL)

Power Play %:
LA - 13.9 (26th in NHL)
ANA - 16.7 (13th in NHL)

Penalty Kill %:
LA - 80.7 (28th in NHL)
ANA - 84.7 (10th in NHL)

Code:
Division Standings:
1. *San Jose Sharks - (31-16-11-6) 79 points
2. *Dallas Stars - (31-22-11-0) 73 points
3. *Los Angeles Kings - (25-17-15-7) 72 points
4. *Anaheim Mighty Ducks - (22-26-9-8) 61 points
5. *Phoenix Coyotes - (20-24-15-5) 60 points
* - play tonight (listed below)

Code:
Western Conference Standings:
1. Detroit Red Wings - 83 points
2. Colorado Avalanche - 82 points
3. San Jose Sharks - 79 points
4. Vancouver Canucks - 81 points
5. Nashville Predators - 73 points
6. Dallas Stars - 73 points
7. Los Angeles Kings - 72 points
8. Calgary Flames - 70 points
---------------------------------------------
9. St. Louis Blues - 68 points
10. Edmonton Oilers - 63 points 
11. Anaheim Mighty Ducks - 61 points
12. Minnesota Wild - 60 points
13. Phoenix Coyotes - 59 points
14. Columbus Blue Jackets - 50 points
15. Chicago Blackhawks - 48 points
Key/Divisional Games Tonight:
Stars vs. Oilers 12:00 PM PST | 3:00 PM EST
Kings vs. Ducks 1:00 PM PST | 4:00 PM EST
Coyotes vs. Flames 5:00 PM PST | 8:00 PM EST
Sharks vs. Blues 5:00 PM PST | 8:00 PM EST
**(images from NHL.com and ESPN.com)**

Old
02-29-2004, 02:04 PM
LuckyLUC20

I figured I'd do the GDT for the last of the home and home.

Kings need to win this game. Dallas, Calgary, and St. Louis play today. I figure the Flames will beat the struggling Coyotes, Stars will take care of the Oilers (on paper they should anyway, but paper means nothing in hockey, look at our Kings ... hopefully the Yotes and Oilers defy the odds today!) and hopefully our buddies up north will take care of the Blues. I know they're leading our division, but at this point, we need as much separation between the 9th seed as possible. It's about making the playoffs. Go Kings!!!!!

Old
02-29-2004, 02:13 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Let's Go Kings!!!

Old
02-29-2004, 02:24 PM
punchy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
Let's Go Kings!!!

I nominate you for all of them lucky, they are simply the best I have ever seen. Cheers for the hard work. Looks right propper.

Today we will tie in a 2-2 game. Fedorov and Prospal for the duckies, Frolov and Corvo for the Kings to tie it towards the end. Either that or I have to feel we will lose the game 4-1 as the team has a let down in effort while the ducks are playing for thier lives.

Old
02-29-2004, 03:02 PM
LuckyLUC20

Thanks, punchy

Old
02-29-2004, 03:06 PM
Beiers

I agree your GDT is awesome, i was curious if any of you LA faithful know when Roman is eligible to come off the IR. The reason i ask is because i have huet in my yahoo league and i was wanting to see if he will be starting the 2 games next week.

I appreciate the help.

Old
02-29-2004, 03:55 PM
guzmania

I guess racing won't finnish in time for our game so tune up the radios.

Old
02-29-2004, 03:59 PM
punchy1

If you look on our boards we tend to keep injury info updated on the thread that says "before you go posting about Allison or Deadmarsh" (or whatever it says like that).

Last I recalled he was to be out for a few weeks longer but nobody were sure. If you go to ESPN.com and go to the Kings page they had a blurb on him and his injury. Lucky and Navigator are our injury experts and I would send them a pm if I truly couldn't find it here on the boards.

hope that helps.

Old
02-29-2004, 04:00 PM
Capn Brown

I wonder if AM would start Chouinard instead of Huet as there's no telling when RC is coming back and this would be the ideal time to give Huet a break. Afterall, it's only the Ducks. LoL

Old
02-29-2004, 04:02 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Pisani just scored a shorthander! 3-1 Oilers over Dallas!

Old
02-29-2004, 04:06 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmaniac
I guess racing won't finnish in time for our game so tune up the radios.
I ****ing hate ESPN!!!!!!

Old
02-29-2004, 04:10 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
I ****ing hate ESPN!!!!!!
At least the game hasn't started yet.

Old
02-29-2004, 04:14 PM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Daleks
I wonder if AM would start Chouinard instead of Huet as there's no telling when RC is coming back and this would be the ideal time to give Huet a break. Afterall, it's only the Ducks. LoL
you just read my mind...i really think chouinard should start and give huet abit of a break...

02-29-2004, 04:15 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Huet starts

Old
02-29-2004, 04:16 PM
punchy1

I can't get any coverage, at least you lot will get some of the game. ESPN is out and has been for a day and a half for me. I will be listening on NHLradio. (if they have it)

I can say that the things going into this season that I wanted to see (other than us win the cup as always) were Frolov make a min of 40 points, Grebeshkov on the team (I thought he would start with us) and playing as well as I hoped he would, Cammelleri proving he could stick and produce at the NHL level (which he is doing very well at) Luc shutting the mouths of his detractors who said he would be "lucky" to reach 30 points and how he were washed up and finally, that we finished ahead of the ducks.

So far, with the exception of the injuries and our not being the favourite I reckoned we would be (if healthy) I have been given vastly more than I ever hoped for by the team.

Along with seeing Frolov/Grebshkov and Camms come up and do so well, I have been absolutely stoked to see the play of our other lads like Zizka, who I berated as often as I could, Barney, who I never reckoned would play in the NHL, Corvo, who has shown he is one of the top ten young two way defencemen in the game(with an edge to the offence), Gleason who I truly feel will be a number one with Grebeshkov in a couple of short years and a few other great young players as well.

Klatt is better than I thought he would be. Luc has done exactly what I thought he would. Huet has shown he can play (inconsistantly so far but better all the time) at the NHL level and even be grand at time. But all of that, is only AS great as our being better than the ducks so far this year.

NO MATTY!!!

Old
02-29-2004, 04:17 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Norstrom out, Norton in. Wife is having a baby. Congrats Matty and family!

Let's Go Kings!!!

Old
punchy1

No Matty! Replaced By Norton! God Help Us!

Old
Sydor25
LA Kings

Norstrom a healthy scratch to be with his wife for the birth of their child.

Brad Norton playing today.

Old
02-29-2004, 04:19 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Giggy going after Avery..lol

Old
02-29-2004, 04:23 PM
kingsfan25

Well this is just great.

My Center Ice is out yet again and I can't seem to get the internet radio feed to work.

I'm going to need frequent and detailed updates.

PLEASE.

Old
02-29-2004, 04:24 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Norton vs Burnett after Burnett goes nails Grebs. Good work sticking up for your teammate Norton, but he gets the instigator.

Old
02-29-2004, 04:25 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Nice to see Norton stepping up for Grebs!!

The instigator rule is ruining the NHL. :mad:

Old
02-29-2004, 04:26 PM
punchy1

I see, That pile of crap Bruennette boards grebeshkov or does everything he can to and comes up with his gloves off and WE get the instigator. I can understand no call on the boarding as Dgreb managed to turn his body, not that the crapheap would have stopped if he hadn't but the instigator is just such rubbish.

Old
02-29-2004, 04:27 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25
Well this is just great.

My Center Ice is out yet again and I can't seem to get the internet radio feed to work.

I'm going to need frequent and detailed updates.

PLEASE.
Join the chat room.

Old
02-29-2004, 04:27 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

WTF...Pirnes takes an interference penalty?

Closed Thread