HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Trade Kovalev?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-14-2008, 01:00 PM
  #1
crystal ball
Registered User
 
crystal ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Ireland
Posts: 518
vCash: 500
Trade Kovalev?

Okay, before everyone gets all p*ssed, this isn't a reactionary post. I'm as mad as anyone about the way the team is going, and I agree with many here that Carbo's got to shake things up somehow. But looking at the situation logically, the team obviously has needs and will have to give something to get something. I really think Kovalev was a big part in making the team what it was last year. He used his linemates and tried hard in 95% of the games. This year it's all about the long, low-percentage pass, the puck-ragging and the shots on poor targets. His play is bringing Plekanec and Andrei down because they either don't get the puck, or they get it when there's no scoring chance available.

I like Kovalev. I find him a pretty thrilling player to watch when he's on. But we know Gainey's closely evaluating everyone who's up for new contracts. If Kovalev is proceeding to have a season like the one two years ago, rather than last year, I can see Gainey getting pretty tired of his play and deciding not to offer him a new deal. Carbonneau's already using Kovalev in a diminished role. Even so, right now, Kovalev's value is still high based on last year's performance. Should Gainey trade him in for a fourth D, then bring in someone like Sundin up front?

crystal ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 01:11 PM
  #2
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal ball View Post
Okay, before everyone gets all p*ssed, this isn't a reactionary post. I'm as mad as anyone about the way the team is going, and I agree with many here that Carbo's got to shake things up somehow. But looking at the situation logically, the team obviously has needs and will have to give something to get something. I really think Kovalev was a big part in making the team what it was last year. He used his linemates and tried hard in 95% of the games. This year it's all about the long, low-percentage pass, the puck-ragging and the shots on poor targets. His play is bringing Plekanec and Andrei down because they either don't get the puck, or they get it when there's no scoring chance available.

I like Kovalev. I find him a pretty thrilling player to watch when he's on. But we know Gainey's closely evaluating everyone who's up for new contracts. If Kovalev is proceeding to have a season like the one two years ago, rather than last year, I can see Gainey getting pretty tired of his play and deciding not to offer him a new deal. Carbonneau's already using Kovalev in a diminished role. Even so, right now, Kovalev's value is still high based on last year's performance. Should Gainey trade him in for a fourth D, then bring in someone like Sundin up front?
absolutely

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 01:16 PM
  #3
King Kovalev
Registered User
 
King Kovalev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Poland
Posts: 300
vCash: 500
Oh gawwddd
I need to find the head and cut it off before he makes more victims.
Say what you want but hes still almost a PPG, who is going to replace him right now? 1 goal I look like im dying Kostitsyn?? MaxPac??

King Kovalev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 01:17 PM
  #4
SergeConstantin74
Always right.
 
SergeConstantin74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,629
vCash: 500
Yeah for sure, he's third on the team for the most minutes, fourth in points and third in goals, but like you said, he's not that useful. Let's trade him.

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 01:20 PM
  #5
smon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 500
Won't happen, bad idea. Hate to burst the bubble, but if Sundin wanted to come here, why he didn't agree to when he had umpteen chances to do so last season and during the offseason?

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 01:22 PM
  #6
TheCH*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
Won't happen, bad idea. Hate to burst the bubble, but if Sundin wanted to come here, why he didn't agree to when he had umpteen chances to do so last season and during the offseason?
For the same reason why he never agreed to go anywhere else. But still, he is rumored to be making a return.

This is not to say Sundin wants to play here, because i don't think thats gonna happen either.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 01:28 PM
  #7
LesCanadiens
Registered User
 
LesCanadiens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The Okanagan Baby!
Posts: 2,822
vCash: 500
I would trade Plekanec + ? for a skilled, physical top 6 forward. Plekanec is just plain totally useless when things get physical.

Kovalev can at least play through physical hockey. He's got the size to make life miserable for even the biggest defenders.

Koivu is IMO untouchable.

I'd say my first choice to go for some quality return is Pleks, then AK. When is this guy going to bring it consistently? I think he definitely has more to offer....when he drives to the net he's very productive...but he doesn't do it consistently enough.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 01:44 PM
  #8
Mother Pucker
Registered User
 
Mother Pucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Tibet
Posts: 1,367
vCash: 500
Trade Kovalev you say?

Trade all the team for draft picks, then bring on up the Hamilton roster. Then tank like hell in order to finish last and get the Tavares pick next year. Then trade him for other picks which will then be all traded for other picks.

Just my two cents.

Mother Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 01:46 PM
  #9
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Pucker View Post
Trade Kovalev you say?

Trade all the team for draft picks, then bring on up the Hamilton roster. Then tank like hell in order to finish last and get the Tavares pick next year. Then trade these picks for other picks which will then be all traded for other picks.

Just my two cents.
I think you're on to something. Or just on something.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 01:48 PM
  #10
Athlétique_Canadien
Registered User
 
Athlétique_Canadien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,540
vCash: 500
Why not trade Price, Markov and Koivu instead?

Yes folks it's official and prepare yourself for more. Last night is the beginning of the Habs faithful preparing for a falling sky.

Athlétique_Canadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 01:51 PM
  #11
Mother Pucker
Registered User
 
Mother Pucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Tibet
Posts: 1,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
I think you're on to something. Or just on something.
Actually, both.

Mother Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 01:52 PM
  #12
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,201
vCash: 500
Decide at seasons end. If his year is like last re-sign him, if it is like the year before he can walk.

Either you try every game or get lost, the last two years have been roller coasters with this guy and if he reverts back to his garbage play he is not the top priority now that Tanguay is around.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 01:58 PM
  #13
Chomsky
Registered User
 
Chomsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,982
vCash: 500
Damn I lost my bet. Couldn't the OP have created the thread in a week or so?

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 02:00 PM
  #14
Darz
Registered User
 
Darz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Where's the ANY key?
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Pucker View Post
Trade Kovalev you say?

Trade all the team for draft picks, then bring on up the Hamilton roster. Then tank like hell in order to finish last and get the Tavares pick next year. Then trade him for other picks which will then be all traded for other picks.

Just my two cents.


...you forgot to add...

Overreact after every loss, and make knee jerk moves in order to fix things.

__________________
Hey look, it's Duffman; the guy in a costume that creates awareness of Duff!
Darz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 02:03 PM
  #15
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,965
vCash: 500
Dumbest idea for a thread this week.... and that is saying something.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 02:15 PM
  #16
crystal ball
Registered User
 
crystal ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Ireland
Posts: 518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Damn I lost my bet. Couldn't the OP have created the thread in a week or so?
See, this is what I didn't want to happen. I'm not crapping on Kovy for being any worse than the rest of the team. I'm just saying if Gainey plans to let him go next year, then maybe now is a good time to get something the team really needs in return. But, that said, I'd much rather Kovalev pick up his game and spark his line. I don't want him to go.

crystal ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 02:17 PM
  #17
Nedved
Registered User
 
Nedved's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,755
vCash: 500
good luck trading kovalev. hes playing so bad right now, i doubt anyone would want to trade for him. hell, hed probably make it through waivers hes sucks so much.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 02:19 PM
  #18
kovalev47
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kovalev View Post

I need to find the head and cut it off before he makes more victims.
Say what you want but hes still almost a PPG, who is going to replace him right now? 1 goal I look like im dying Kostitsyn?? MaxPac??
Agreed. As soon as the team struggles, some people here like to put all the blame on Kovy. What about the rest of the team? They don't seem to be playing well either.

kovalev47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 02:20 PM
  #19
m00ks
Registered User
 
m00ks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,887
vCash: 500
LOL, that's like trading away 30% of our offensive zone entry.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 02:21 PM
  #20
Darz
Registered User
 
Darz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Where's the ANY key?
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanwuc View Post
good luck trading kovalev. hes playing so bad right now, i doubt anyone would want to trade for him. hell, hed probably make it through waivers hes sucks so much.
Um....sure. Ya alot of second all-star team players from last year would make it through waivers right now.



One of the stupidest comments I've read, on a day with ALOT of stupid comments.

I'm sure when you cool down, you won't feel the same way.

Darz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 02:21 PM
  #21
BadKiwi
 
BadKiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 563
vCash: 500
I think Kovalev is blamed because he can make a difference. Players like Koivu or Higgins give their all every game, they are good players, but they cannot win a game by themselves...Kovalev can. So when we lose, it's Kovalev's fault! Trade the bum!

BadKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 02:23 PM
  #22
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
i still prefer his idea than the one to fire Carbonneau

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 02:24 PM
  #23
Mats NAslund
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,154
vCash: 50
Andrei Kostitsyn Sergei Kostitsyn Plekanec and Halak

for

Kovalchuk - needs no explination and he's still only 25
Hainsey - Solid puck mover (matured)
1st rounder

Flame away...but it's a solid offer I think! Aside maybe for the 1st rounder

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 02:26 PM
  #24
BadKiwi
 
BadKiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
Andrei Kostitsyn Sergei Kostitsyn Plekanec and Halak

for

Kovalchuk - needs no explination and he's still only 25
Hainsey - Solid puck mover (matured)
1st rounder

Flame away...but it's a solid offer I think! Aside maybe for the 1st rounder
If you remove Hainsey, the first rounder and Plekanec, Maybe... But we don't need offense anyways. So bleh.

BadKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 02:29 PM
  #25
Nedved
Registered User
 
Nedved's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
Um....sure. Ya alot of second all-star team players from last year would make it through waivers right now.



One of the stupidest comments I've read, on a day with ALOT of stupid comments.

I'm sure when you cool down, you won't feel the same way.
i guess i should of added

actually, i like our team. i think we need another dman. but besides that, i like where are team is going.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.