HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Research paper

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2008, 08:59 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

vCash: 500
Research paper

I have been thinking of a research paper to do for my English class and I went from music piracy to the media's viewpoints on the news and how they twist stories. A few of my classmates gave proposal's today about their topics and one of them was the fact that MLB does not have a salary cap. I thought about it and figured I would like to do something Flyers based or something that is controversial in hockey. I need a few topics but I am not in the thinking mood right now. Do any of you have any ideas that I can write about with different things that have to do with the Flyers or with hockey in general? Be serious please because I need to figure out a topic by tomorrow. Thanks guys.

P.S. Something real interesting.

Old
11-11-2008, 09:00 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
How long of a paper?

My first thought would be the Miracle on Ice, and the impact on the American psyche. There is an argument that the MoI was part of a series of events around that time that made the US the superpower it is today.

Old
11-11-2008, 09:01 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
How long of a paper?
6-8 pages with a minimum of 5 sources.

Old
11-11-2008, 09:02 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
My suggestion might work for that length.

Old
11-11-2008, 09:03 PM
PhillyFan4Ever

the attempted banishment of fighting in the nhl and the reasons its needed..

get the book " the code"

Old
11-11-2008, 09:08 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan4Ever View Post
the attempted banishment of fighting in the nhl and the reasons its needed..

get the book " the code"
That is one source. I may need another 4.

Old
11-11-2008, 09:22 PM
Opus

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
That is one source. I may need another 4.
HFBoards?

Old
11-11-2008, 09:24 PM
Unstable

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
HFBoards?
lol

I would suggest interviews with he who must not be named, and perhaps a slew of media articles from tsn espn etc. regarding the pro-con of having fighting in the sport. There's lots out there.

Old
11-11-2008, 09:30 PM
Ri hards

Are we talking highschool or university level? Maybe something about Junior hockey in small town canada? The leading role that those players can take in the community and whether it's good or bad? Two sources off the bat would be Gare Joyce's book "Future Greats and Heartbreaks" and Laura Robinson's "Crossing the Line: Violence and Sexual Assault in Canada's National Sport"

Old
11-11-2008, 09:41 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hole Sun View Post
Are we talking highschool or university level? Maybe something about Junior hockey in small town canada? The leading role that those players can take in the community and whether it's good or bad? Two sources off the bat would be Gare Joyce's book "Future Greats and Heartbreaks" and Laura Robinson's "Crossing the Line: Violence and Sexual Assault in Canada's National Sport"
Its university level. I had a thought of writing about which style of hockey is better, North American or European (specifically Russian), but I just cant think of where I would find sources for that. I think its a damn good topic.

Old
11-11-2008, 09:41 PM
turkinaa

Not exactly Flyers related, but currently you can do something about the KHL and the NHL (contracts, talking about stealing players, the tragic death of Chere). You can also include media coverage about what happened, the difficulties with sharing information (the KHL says the NHL might have known about Chere's health disorder), and differences in the media in the US and in Russia (such as censorship).

Old
11-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Ri hards

Quote:
Its university level. I had a thought of writing about which style of hockey is better, North American or European (specifically Russian), but I just cant think of where I would find sources for that. I think its a damn good topic.
The trouble with your idea there is that you need to define "better" which lends itself to criticism. As for my idea...you probably want to disregard it for university level...sources aren't good enough for that.

Perhaps make an arguement about international ice vs NA ice and which lends itself to more goal scoring (which is an ongoing debate). You'd need to be careful about where you draw your samples. I'd suggest looking at Olympics or World Championships from year to year and whether they are in the NA or Europe. The trouble with the Olympics is the frequency.

Old
11-11-2008, 09:53 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkinaa View Post
Not exactly Flyers related, but currently you can do something about the KHL and the NHL (contracts, talking about stealing players, the tragic death of Chere). You can also include media coverage about what happened, the difficulties with sharing information (the KHL says the NHL might have known about Chere's health disorder), and differences in the media in the US and in Russia (such as censorship).
That sounds intriguing. Actually, very intriguing. Any idea of where to find sources for it. I do speak Russian but I may not be able to use Russian sites for my research.

Old
11-11-2008, 10:05 PM
Ri hards

Edit: Hah...thought what you wrote above was replying to me...and here I wrote a short story. Anyways...some further ideas about what I had above.

Goal scoring is quantified which makes it a good start. Official league sites would be obviously places for that. Another harder stat to look at given that they aren't officially recorded might be scoring chances. The important thing will be picking your sample and how you construct your arguement.

One idea might be looking at the lockout year specifically at teams with a bunch of NHL players. You could compare the stats of Thornton-Nash-Husellius (I think they were on the same line) or Morrison-Knuble-???? in Europe as a line and compare them to what they do in the NHL. The problem with this is that there are a lot of variables...what was the competition like? Where they put in a similar role? Does this affect the amount of penalties called?

Another idea as I alluded to earlier would be looking at IIHF sanctioned tournaments and looking at changes to scoring when host countries change. You'll need to find tournaments where team rosters can stay relatively stable and where the drop-off in talent amongst the top teams isn't huge. Olympics would be bad because of the four year cycle, WJC would be bad because the rosters are guaranteed to change every year. One idea might be the World Championships...the only issue there would again be fluctuating rosters although it should be more stable for European teams (maybe focus on them).

Maybe you look at the Women's side of international events? Rosters are pretty set, happens every year (I think? Four nations cup). Maybe look primarily at Canada and USA although the sample size may be too small.

Maybe you look at scoring statistics for the Lightning-Rangers and the Penguins-Senators from their time in Europe at the start of the season. Maybe even look at the exhibition games.

The trouble with all of these are that stats are coming from pretty much the same sources...probably aren't the kinds of sources you'd be needing.

Old
11-11-2008, 10:15 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hole Sun View Post
Edit: Hah...thought what you wrote above was replying to me...and here I wrote a short story. Anyways...some further ideas about what I had above.

Goal scoring is quantified which makes it a good start. Official league sites would be obviously places for that. Another harder stat to look at given that they aren't officially recorded might be scoring chances. The important thing will be picking your sample and how you construct your arguement.

One idea might be looking at the lockout year specifically at teams with a bunch of NHL players. You could compare the stats of Thornton-Nash-Husellius (I think they were on the same line) or Morrison-Knuble-???? in Europe as a line and compare them to what they do in the NHL. The problem with this is that there are a lot of variables...what was the competition like? Where they put in a similar role? Does this affect the amount of penalties called?

Another idea as I alluded to earlier would be looking at IIHF sanctioned tournaments and looking at changes to scoring when host countries change. You'll need to find tournaments where team rosters can stay relatively stable and where the drop-off in talent amongst the top teams isn't huge. Olympics would be bad because of the four year cycle, WJC would be bad because the rosters are guaranteed to change every year. One idea might be the World Championships...the only issue there would again be fluctuating rosters although it should be more stable for European teams (maybe focus on them).

Maybe you look at the Women's side of international events? Rosters are pretty set, happens every year (I think? Four nations cup). Maybe look primarily at Canada and USA although the sample size may be too small.

Maybe you look at scoring statistics for the Lightning-Rangers and the Penguins-Senators from their time in Europe at the start of the season. Maybe even look at the exhibition games.

The trouble with all of these are that stats are coming from pretty much the same sources...probably aren't the kinds of sources you'd be needing.
Actually all are damn good ideas, just the constant changing of players on national teams. I will definitely take into consideration the different games played on various rinks. I just want to hear a few more ideas. I know its pretty late on the East Coast so not everyone may be up and reading this right now. I am hoping tomorrow brings a bunch of new topics. Thanks for the help though, Black Hole

Old
11-11-2008, 10:23 PM
Ri hards

Oh, what if you looked at the development programs of Canada vs Russia and make an arguement about which is more effective. Or maybe look at how development programs or sports training for hockey in these countries have changed over time. Russian Sports institues vs hockey canada from the mid-19th C to 20th...something like that.

Old
11-11-2008, 10:33 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Most of the above requires lots of opinion, why ban fighting, comparison of programs, etc.

I'd say something less so might be the influx of players from Russian (or the Soviet Bloc) into North American hockey.

If I recall correctly (someone older than me here can maybe chime in), Fred Shero was among the first North American coaches to delve into Soviet methods and systems.

Last edited by JXC: 11-11-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Old
11-11-2008, 11:03 PM
turkinaa

Quote:
That sounds intriguing. Actually, very intriguing. Any idea of where to find sources for it. I do speak Russian but I may not be able to use Russian sites for my research.
That's the problem, it will take some time to find sources. I'm sure if you do a google search you can find something.

Example:
http://ejc.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/21/2/189
http://www.spiegel.de/international/...479023,00.html

Khl stuff:
http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...oads-of-money/
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3692472 [Chere article]
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/25713355/
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...beSportsHockey

Right there are 6 sources about the KHL and Russian Media Censorship. I wouldn't stop there, but it's something to build on. Just becareful about blogs and don't use Wiki.

Old
11-11-2008, 11:31 PM
McNasty

Quote:
6-8 pages with a minimum of 5 sources.
I did this in my college writing class it was 10 pages on why hockey is the least popular of the 4 major sports. My key points were the poor television coverage, the cost of hockey keeps kids from playing it, and the pros and cons of fighting in hockey.

Honestly writing on this subject was easy, finding sources to back it up might be a pain but I needed 10 sources so you should be able to find 5 relatively easy.

Old
11-12-2008, 12:17 AM
Richyrich

Quote:
You should probably avoid falling into the better or worse type of deal unless this is meant to be a persuavie paper. The same goes for why fighting is necessary...

If it is an expository piece MoHawk's idea would be a really good one.... I have some ideas on the tip of my tongue but can't get them out... so I'll get to sleep....

I hope to have some ideas for you tomorrow

Old
11-12-2008, 12:27 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

You could do something like the paper I wrote in the 4th grade. It went something like this:

"My favorite player on the Flyers is Paul Holmgren because he fights a lot, and one time he even punched a ref."

Feel free to use me as a source/reference.

Old
11-12-2008, 02:04 AM
Pwood
B-B-B-Bus can't swim

Send a message via AIM to Pwood Send a message via Yahoo to Pwood
I actually wrote a research/opinion paper about why fighting is hockey is beneficial to the sport. It was 10 pages and I had a lot of sources. Got an A on it so they should be good enough lol. I should still have that paper, along with the bibliography if you need any of those. Just PM me.

Old
11-12-2008, 07:13 AM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Quote:
I have been thinking of a research paper to do for my English class and I went from music piracy to the media's viewpoints on the news and how they twist stories. A few of my classmates gave proposal's today about their topics and one of them was the fact that MLB does not have a salary cap. I thought about it and figured I would like to do something Flyers based or something that is controversial in hockey. I need a few topics but I am not in the thinking mood right now. Do any of you have any ideas that I can write about with different things that have to do with the Flyers or with hockey in general? Be serious please because I need to figure out a topic by tomorrow. Thanks guys.

P.S. Something real interesting.
Email Riley Cote.
Maybe hell make some quotes for you to use.
Even go as far as to email the Hammer.

Old
11-12-2008, 02:31 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
I have to end this here.

We're actually not allowed to have homework help threads.

Closed Thread