HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Guess The Pens Next Winger Game

Old
11-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Zags91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalie_Bob View Post
No way Erat is traded, he just signed a 7 year contract. And he isn't the type of player the Pens need, he is allergic to shooting the puck.

I'm gonna go with Shane Doan.
As much as I'd love Doan, he's the heart and soul of the Coyotes and their captain. I think he just signed a decent contract last year too.

Zags91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 12:47 PM
rk50

I don't see any major splashes this year (though I didn't see Hossa last year). My guess would be an aging vet like Guerin or Tkachuk.

rk50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 12:50 PM
Triple Cheeseburglar
Loud Breathing

I'll take any one of Kariya, Stempniak, or Tkachuk from St. Louis

Triple Cheeseburglar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
Milan Hejduk. I think Colorado's going to fall way out of contention in the tough North-West Division and will deal away some of the non-future.

Hejduk has one more year left at $4 million after this season.

It's a bit of a long-shot guess...but he's a guy I'd be interested in even with his contract having another year on it.
Just what what we need...another M__an H_____.

11-12-2008, 01:00 PM
SaintRon

My guess is we don't pick up a winger.

SaintRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 01:01 PM
gopens66
25-66-92

Wasn't there a lot of buzz about Kariya wanting to play in Pittsburgh like 3-4-5 some years ago, but went with St. Louis because they offered a good deal more $?

gopens66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 01:30 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopens66 View Post
Wasn't there a lot of buzz about Kariya wanting to play in Pittsburgh like 3-4-5 some years ago, but went with St. Louis because they offered a good deal more $?
yeah, isn't kariya's contract ridiculous? as in, around $6mil per year ridiculous? that's right in the same ballpark as all these gaborik and kovalchuk proposals that don't add up because of the cap numbers.

i was all for going after kariya a few summers ago, and he was off to a very good start this year before getting banged up. if shero is going to go after a big-money player and rearrange a decent amount of the roster to make it feasible, though, i'd rather see it be someone more inclined to shoot to play with crosby.

the hejduk suggestion was a great one. would love to see that. i don't think colorado would think of dealing him this year, though.

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 01:37 PM
LetangInTheSO

My money's on Shanny...

That's not saying that I do or don't want him, I just see it as the most feasible scenario for RS.

LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 01:50 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopens66 View Post
Yeah I remember right before I went to bed one night during that FA signing period I was reading up on rumors on line and Kariya was signed, sealed, and delivered to the Pens according to TIOPS (I know, I should have known better) and I went to bed with dreams of Kariya and Sid dominating together with Recchi (lol). Then I woke up and Kariya went to the Blues for about $2m more than what the Pens were reportedly offering him. Can't blame the guy but he must have been kicking himself watching us march to the finals last year!

A day or two later we signed Sykora. This offseason reminded me of that with us losing out on Hossa and then picking up Satan, especially since both Sykora and Satan supposedly called Shero about coming here.

As for our new winger for this year I'm still holding out hope for Pesonen coming up at some point and clicking one one of the top two lines. He's not a sniper per se but he'd be the best puck handler not named Sid or Geno on the team and that's not a bad thing in my opinion.

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 01:55 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Doan, Hejduk or Shanahan would be awesome.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 02:45 PM
Goalie_Bob
1992 Vezina (2nd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zags91 View Post
As much as I'd love Doan, he's the heart and soul of the Coyotes and their captain. I think he just signed a decent contract last year too.
Yeah, after this year he has 3 years left at 4.55mil. I'm not saying there is a big chance. But I think Doan may start to see his window closing on winning a cup and that Phoenix is quite a abit from even competing for a cup.

He is one of the few players that I think would be worth going after if we trade Staal. His contract is very affordable and he would look great on one of the top 2 lines. Power forward type, right handed shot, stick him front of the net. Goal!

Goalie_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 02:48 PM
AgentM

Lets see here...

Hejduk
Goals: 8
Assists:5
Salary: $4.00m this season and next and a cap hit of $3.9m

This is pretty similar production to what Satan is giving us for a bit more money. And he's a right handed shot, right? Is he more of a sniper or sit in the crease kind of guy?

Old
11-12-2008, 03:01 PM
Goalie_Bob
1992 Vezina (2nd)

Hejduk is definitely a sniper. But there is absolutely zero chance that Colorado will trade him. He took a big home town discount a few years ago to stay there.

Goalie_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 03:06 PM
No Quarter

Martin St. Louis

No Quarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 03:20 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Quarter View Post
Martin St. Louis
A player going from Tampa to Pittsburgh??? That's just unnatural haha

Old
11-12-2008, 03:47 PM
Pon

Hejduk or Kariya seem to make the most sense for me.

They would also add some sort of playoff experience an leadership (even though i'm not sure we are in dire need of leaders this year).

...now, if only we could steal Boyes...

Pon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 03:58 PM
jr99svt

Gary Roberts

jr99svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Better 2015-16?

I would like Erik Cole. He's going to be UFA also. Hejduk would be sweet too, but I doubt too that Colorado won't let him go.

... But my money is on...

Muscles4Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 04:29 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightspore View Post
I don't think Hossa and Guerin are good comparables. The reason why is because Hossa's non-producing playoff seasons were when he was an extremely young player. As he entered his prime, he had good playoff years in Ottawa.

Guerin has never really had a good playoff that I can recall off the top of my head.
They aren't comparable players obviously, but my point is that anything can happen when you are playing with Crosby or Malkin.

Guerin isn't a fossil or someone who has lost his skills... he is on pace for another 50-60 point season despite playing for the Isles. He isn't exactly surrounded by all world talent, but is still getting it done.

He can still skate his balls off, shoot, is a bull in the corners and in front of the net... he is about the best chance they have to acquire a true power fwd. for this years playoffs, without giving up a whole lot.

It is a very legit scenario I laid out because of his UFA status and age... there is a lot better chance Shero can acquire Guerin than captain IR in Minny.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 04:55 PM
River Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Mr Jiggyfly> View Post
They aren't comparable players obviously, but my point is that anything can happen when you are playing with Crosby or Malkin.

Guerin isn't a fossil or someone who has lost his skills... he is on pace for another 50-60 point season despite playing for the Isles. He isn't exactly surrounded by all world talent, but is still getting it done.

He can still skate his balls off, shoot, is a bull in the corners and in front of the net... he is about the best chance they have to acquire a true power fwd. for this years playoffs, without giving up a whole lot.

It is a very legit scenario I laid out because of his UFA status and age... there is a lot better chance Shero can acquire Guerin than captain IR in Minny.
Guerin's a decent player and adding him wouldn't hurt the team, assuming of course that the assets required to get him would not be too great. However, if Shero is going to add a significant roster player at the deadline it's going to have to be a player that can take the team to the next level i.e. Hossa.

Perhaps you're right and Guerin is that guy who can help and fill a void in the lineup, but I'm skeptical at best because of his previous playoff history. Still, if he can be had for a 2nd rounder and a mid-level prospect then maybe it's worth looking into.

River Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 05:30 PM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

I'll go Tkachuk. He'd be the perfect remedy to our woes in front of the opposition net. We'd no longer be fretting about our inability to score ugly goals in the slot.

Warm Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 05:32 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightspore View Post
Guerin's a decent player and adding him wouldn't hurt the team, assuming of course that the assets required to get him would not be too great. However, if Shero is going to add a significant roster player at the deadline it's going to have to be a player that can take the team to the next level i.e. Hossa.

Perhaps you're right and Guerin is that guy who can help and fill a void in the lineup, but I'm skeptical at best because of his previous playoff history. Still, if he can be had for a 2nd rounder and a mid-level prospect then maybe it's worth looking into.
They don't need a big name player to take them to the top IMHO. Shero needs to make smart trades and bring in Guerin type players for this season only, without giving up too much.

We won't really ever miss Army, Christensen, or Espo. But there is really no one left that Shero can trade that won't hurt this team... Ie Talbot, TK, Staal, Letang, Gogs... trading anyone of these guys could come back to bite Shero in the ass down the line.

Then if they don't win the cup, we will look back in a few yrs and wish those guys were still here.

Guerin is a guy who can help now. Then in the Summer when so many players come off the books, Shero can find a long term answer at wing.

Shero needs to make more trades like the one for Ziggy, who wasn't a waiver wire pickup like ppl keep thinking, it was for futures.

There are a lot of wingers out there that Shero could get without giving up core players, that could really help this team.

It doesn't always take a blockbuster to win the cup, sometimes it is the overlooked trades ppl. ignore at the deadline, that have the most impact deep into the Spring.

Old
11-12-2008, 05:49 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
What's Slava Kozlovs contract situation like?

Morozov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 05:51 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
I'll go Tkachuk. He'd be the perfect remedy to our woes in front of the opposition net. We'd no longer be fretting about our inability to score ugly goals in the slot.
That's exactly who Jordan Staal reminded me of last night. That was vintage Tkachuk being an opportunistic, slot clogging, physical presence, garbage pounding force. He really showed some nifty hands.

td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 06:11 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
That's exactly who Jordan Staal reminded me of last night. That was vintage Tkachuk being an opportunistic, slot clogging, physical presence, garbage pounding force. He really showed some nifty hands.
I wish Staal played angry... but he doesn't really have anything to be angry about...

I think that's the problem... we need to find a way to make him angry every night...

Maybe we could kidnap one of his kegs or something...