HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Guess The Pens Next Winger Game

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-12-2008, 06:37 PM
  #51
td_ice
Peter shows the way
 
td_ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by <Mr Jiggyfly> View Post
I wish Staal played angry... but he doesn't really have anything to be angry about...

I think that's the problem... we need to find a way to make him angry every night...

Maybe we could kidnap one of his kegs or something...
I agree Jig.

I hate when he plays gentle giant. I wanna see him use that big frame with a bit more ill temper.

td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 06:51 PM
  #52
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist
 
TravisUlrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,762
vCash: 500
Janne Pesonen.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 07:11 PM
  #53
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,042
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by <Mr Jiggyfly> View Post
I wish Staal played angry... but he doesn't really have anything to be angry about...

I think that's the problem... we need to find a way to make him angry every night...

Maybe we could kidnap one of his kegs or something...
It's hard to make a guy be angry every night, you need the personality that enjoys going out and being the big man and getting involved in physical stuff. If they can get Jordan using his big body to dominate people and get him to enjoy doing it he will do it more and more, we all know he is capable of it.

Or we can perform some sort of fusion between him and TFK.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 07:26 PM
  #54
SuburbanRhythm
ThorntonSezNoHittin
 
SuburbanRhythm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post

Or we can perform some sort of fusion between him and TFK.

Giant ManBearPig?

First choice would be Doan, but I don't know that he'd be available, and having 3 seasons on a relatively palatable salary, we'd have to overpay. Not sure Phoenix would take any prospect, and we'd most definitely have to include our 1st again. As mentioned, we might be talking Staal.

Tkchuk makes the most sense after that, front of the net PP guy.

From the Isles, rather than Guerin...didn't Comrie only sign a 1 year extension last year? He's not a big body, but he could skate with Sid.

That all said...I see Alexei Ponikarovsky in our future.

SuburbanRhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 08:00 PM
  #55
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 14,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanRhythm View Post
That all said...I see Alexei Ponikarovsky in our future.
My g/f is a huge Leafs fan so I watch them a lot...

Ponikarovsky is a huge floater and is streaky as hell... I honestly can't see him helping much... he doesn't really bring anything to the team they don't already have.

But I also said at the deadline that I saw Gill play 100 times and he would hurt the Pens... so what do I know.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 08:11 PM
  #56
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 14,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
It's hard to make a guy be angry every night, you need the personality that enjoys going out and being the big man and getting involved in physical stuff. If they can get Jordan using his big body to dominate people and get him to enjoy doing it he will do it more and more, we all know he is capable of it.

Or we can perform some sort of fusion between him and TFK.
Some guys are just angry and some aren't...

This team would be absolutely sick if Staal brought it like he did Tuesday night, every time he stepped on the ice. I'm not even talking about his goals, just the dominating effort he put forth.

If he was hungry and played with an edge like Crosby.. like TK.... like Talbot... the Pens would be as close to unstoppable as a team can get.

That's why it's hard to be patient with him because the Pens need him now... and you just never know when he is going to truly breakout, or go back to being invisible for the next 10 games.

Crosby, TK and Talbbot may not have great games every night, but you always know they left it all out on the ice. I wish some of that hunger and desire would rub off on Staal...

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 08:46 PM
  #57
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,042
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanRhythm View Post
Giant ManBearPig?

First choice would be Doan, but I don't know that he'd be available, and having 3 seasons on a relatively palatable salary, we'd have to overpay. Not sure Phoenix would take any prospect, and we'd most definitely have to include our 1st again. As mentioned, we might be talking Staal.

Tkchuk makes the most sense after that, front of the net PP guy.

From the Isles, rather than Guerin...didn't Comrie only sign a 1 year extension last year? He's not a big body, but he could skate with Sid.

That all said...I see Alexei Ponikarovsky in our future.
ManBearPterodactyl would be a force to be reckoned with.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 09:10 PM
  #58
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 41,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
That's exactly who Jordan Staal reminded me of last night. That was vintage Tkachuk being an opportunistic, slot clogging, physical presence, garbage pounding force. He really showed some nifty hands.
Oh yeah, if Staal can be that player semi-regularly, I'd be beyond ecstatic. Our slot presence with Tkachuk and Staal could be comparable to Detroit's duo.

*drool*

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 09:12 PM
  #59
Ziggyjoe21
Registered User
 
Ziggyjoe21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Pitt
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 7,260
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
I have a feeling Shero will make a pitch for Havlat. Tkachuk would be sick, I never thought about him.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 09:18 PM
  #60
The Pens Are Back*
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by <Mr Jiggyfly> View Post
That's what FA is for... Guerin isn't going to become a fossil by the Spring.

Anyone who doesn't want Guerin on the team this season hasn't watched him play. You think he couldn't make a big impact on Malkin or Croby's line? Please...

I'm looking at wingers who can make an impact this year without giving up any valuable pieces and let Shero worry about finding long term solutions this Summer.
i've been saying guerin would be a good fit the last 2 trading deadlines

and agree about staal.

he also played like that vs. the blues.

maybe he's protecting his looks. someone needs to make him look not so 'pretty'. then he's got nothing to lose


Last edited by The Pens Are Back*: 11-12-2008 at 09:29 PM.
The Pens Are Back* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 09:23 AM
  #61
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Lesshaus > Morehaus
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,380
vCash: 500
9 out of 10 Obamas agree: this thread is useless without a poll.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 10:51 AM
  #62
River Man
Registered User
 
River Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
Oh yeah, if Staal can be that player semi-regularly, I'd be beyond ecstatic. Our slot presence with Tkachuk and Staal could be comparable to Detroit's duo.

*drool*
Tkachuk would be a great addition for the playoffs. He would definitely be great for getting those garbage goals in front of the net.

River Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 12:18 PM
  #63
Tek_Jansen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,212
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Tek_Jansen
I would take Tkachuk in less than a heartbeat. That guy is good good good at his job, very comparable to Holmstrom and he brings more overall I feel.

Tek_Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 12:27 PM
  #64
Gooch
Registered User
 
Gooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Country: United States
Posts: 13,890
vCash: 500
Yeah I'd be for Tkachuk as well. That is the type of guy we need, not these soft floaters that people are bringing up. I don't see it happening for us though

I wonder though if it would be possible to work something out with Anaheim about Bobby Ryan. I know it will probably be difficult since they are in cap peril and would most likely be open to high draft picks or top not prospects, two things we are kinda short on but it would be nice to see if Shero showed interest.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 12:30 PM
  #65
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 14,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
I wonder though if it would be possible to work something out with Anaheim about Bobby Ryan. I know it will probably be difficult since they are in cap peril and would most likely be open to high draft picks or top not prospects, two things we are kinda short on but it would be nice to see if Shero showed interest.
Going to go out on a limb and say you haven't seen Ryan play much before...

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 02:38 AM
  #66
Lt Screwloose
Registered User
 
Lt Screwloose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 111
vCash: 500
....Zednik?

Lt Screwloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 02:55 AM
  #67
King City Warrior
Registered User
 
King City Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,848
vCash: 500
Considering ottawa's struggles, and the current talk around there of trading several of heatley,vermette,fisher,kelly, or spezza.

Bryan murray has been in serious discussions about moving some pieces, pittsburgh may be able to acquire an elite winger such as heatley, or a top six forward like vermette, as well as the other mentioned guys.

Dany heatley's name has been mentioned a fair bit, and he may be traded, could pittsburgh afford his salary?

King City Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 11:02 AM
  #68
td_ice
Peter shows the way
 
td_ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by <Mr Jiggyfly> View Post
Going to go out on a limb and say you haven't seen Ryan play much before...
From what I have seen in the past, the kid can't skate that well. Something you kinda have to do VERY WELL in today's NHL.

(Still early, but that is looking like a horrible pick from Mr. BB)

td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 11:07 AM
  #69
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 14,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
From what I have seen in the past, the kid can't skate that well. Something you kinda have to do VERY WELL in today's NHL.

(Still early, but that is looking like a horrible pick from Mr. BB)
Let's just say he makes Kris Beech and Milan Kraft look like Paul Coffey...

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 12:33 PM
  #70
Guins71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 951
vCash: 500
Goligoski and Letang continue to make great strides before the deadline and we ship Ryan Whitney to Florida for Nathan Horton.

Guins71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 01:44 PM
  #71
pensown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guins71 View Post
Goligoski and Letang continue to make great strides before the deadline and we ship Ryan Whitney to Florida for Nathan Horton.
I would love that. Could play left wing as a right hander, hes young at 23, and signed long term for 500,000 less than whitney.

pensown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 02:06 PM
  #72
Guins71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 951
vCash: 500
My guess is the pens would have to add a young winger to the mix to get the deal done.

Guins71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 02:58 PM
  #73
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 14,241
vCash: 500
Again, I just can't see Shero dealing any of their young players to find a winger... when he knows he can get one next Summer without giving up a thing.

I think the smartest thing he can do is find a winger who has top 6 potential, but has low trade value.

It happens all the time when a player struggles on one team, then finds new life on another. Especially when you have Crosby/Malkin.

I just can't think of any players I want to loose in a trade...

TK, Letang, Talbot, Whitney, Gogs and of course Staal (unless he refuses to sign).

Those are the players who would have to be moved to land a Horton type player.

I want this team to grow and build on it's youth.. not to keep going for the big Hossa deals. Then in 3-4 years we look around an dall of the good young players are gone...

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 03:17 PM
  #74
SkullSplitter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,845
vCash: 500
I bet you they bring in a playoff warrior. No scoring winger at the deadline. . . Pens are scoring enough. They need more grit than anything.

I'd say they sign a UFA this summer.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:07 PM
  #75
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectraljulian View Post
I bet you they bring in a playoff warrior. No scoring winger at the deadline. . . Pens are scoring enough. They need more grit than anything.

I'd say they sign a UFA this summer.
Combine the two. A top-six winger who is a playoff warrior.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.