HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The pinball goals

Old
11-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Chimp

vCash: 500
The pinball goals

Is it just me and my biased opinion, or are the New York Rangers extreme in the league when it comes to pinball goals against? I've followed this team closely since the lockout and the pinball goals for vs. the pinball goals against this team isn't even close.

Last season, I tried to count them. The final numbers were around 3-22 in pinball goals for/ pinball goal against.

This season has started with an incredibly high number of unlucky pinball goals. I can hardly remember a game where we haven't had at least one of those goals scored upon us.

Is it karma? Continous bad luck? My biased view? What is it?

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 01:16 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
I don't think you're mistaken in feeling that we allow a ton of those cheapies. I think it's a result of our defense-first system and our propensity to collapse in front of our own net. Combine that with a little bad luck and you're bound to give up a lot of deflections.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 01:17 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Well being that we have a top goalie in the league, it makes sense that a larger percentage of our goals against would be flukey, because straight shots don't often get by Henrik. As far as why we have so few, the answer is simple: in previous years there was not enough shooting and not enough traffic.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 02:05 PM
Shake and Bake

It's not just you...

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Tomas Sandstrom 28

pinball goals against because we keep a lot of men in front defensively and try to block a lot of shots, our d are not the best "crease-clearers" either meaning just lots of sticks and legs in the way.

Lack of pinball goals for because we do not put a lot of traffic in front of other teams' goalies, drury and voros, but that's about it...doesn't matter anyway because our Dmen can't hit the net to save their lives.

Just the way our team is, but hey whatever they're doing its still working at an above-average level

Tomas Sandstrom 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 02:30 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Sandstrom 28 View Post
pinball goals against because we keep a lot of men in front defensively and try to block a lot of shots, our d are not the best "crease-clearers" either meaning just lots of sticks and legs in the way.

Lack of pinball goals for because we do not put a lot of traffic in front of other teams' goalies, drury and voros, but that's about it...doesn't matter anyway because our Dmen can't hit the net to save their lives.

Just the way our team is, but hey whatever they're doing its still working at an above-average level
So true. While other teams stay in our crease leading to our players moving there as well, there are just so many legs, skates, sticks... to deflect off of. On the other hand, we don't have many people parked in front of there crease (besides for Voros now) to cause many of these goals.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 03:51 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Well being that we have a top goalie in the league, it makes sense that a larger percentage of our goals against would be flukey, because straight shots don't often get by Henrik. As far as why we have so few, the answer is simple: in previous years there was not enough shooting and not enough traffic.
I think it's pretty much just that. When your goalie stops 99.9% of regular shots the goofy goals definately stand out.

As far as us not getting nearly as many? We don't really shoot the puck unless it's a sure bet (then it just goes wide) this has been true ever since Jagr came in.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 03:56 PM
9darter
Soft Euro

You mean last season's pinball goals against weren't all Malik's fault?

9darter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 04:26 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9darter View Post
You mean last season's pinball goals against weren't all Malik's fault?
Blasphemy.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 05:25 PM
Celestial Black

Yeah, I've noticed this as well and it sucks.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 05:37 PM
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
I say it time and time again when watching this team.

Almost HALF the goals that beat Hank are caused by a deflection or go off Hank and in. Game of inches tho.

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 04:06 PM
McMonster

seems like whenever we play the Devils, all of their goals are ridiculous

Mike Mottau will shoot from the point, the puck will hit off Blair Betts' foot, Rozsival's knee, Elias' shoulder, Parise's stick, Henrik's blocker, deflects off the glass, hits off the jumbotron, and then somehow winds up in the net.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 04:31 PM
Shake and Bake

^^^not last game

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 04:58 PM
TheRedressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Is it just me and my biased opinion, or are the New York Rangers extreme in the league when it comes to pinball goals against? I've followed this team closely since the lockout and the pinball goals for vs. the pinball goals against this team isn't even close.

Last season, I tried to count them. The final numbers were around 3-22 in pinball goals for/ pinball goal against.

This season has started with an incredibly high number of unlucky pinball goals. I can hardly remember a game where we haven't had at least one of those goals scored upon us.

Is it karma? Continous bad luck? My biased view? What is it?

It is a direct result of the qualitiy of goaltending from Lundqvist. On most nights it takes a "pinball" type of goal to beat Henrik.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 10:15 PM
Richie Rich

I noticed this also, Lundy very rarely lets in a clean shot.

Richie Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 10:20 AM
HenriksBetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake and Bake View Post
^^^not last game
I guess you forgot the goal that hit Zajac in the back, fell right at his feet and had a wide open net because Henrik had already played the shot from the point that never got to him. I would say he falls under a lucky, pinball type goal.

HenriksBetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 10:24 AM
HenriksBetter

99% of the goals scored on Henrik are off deflections or rebounds. This tells me two things. The 5 guys in front on him are not picking up their guys and not clearing the front of the net. Now just imagine what Henriks numbers would look like if we had a blueline that could clear the crease and forwards that were more versed in picking up their guy instead of puck gazing.

Old
11-15-2008, 10:40 AM
9darter
Soft Euro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenriksBetter View Post
99% of the goals scored on Henrik are off deflections or rebounds. This tells me two things. The 5 guys in front on him are not picking up their guys and not clearing the front of the net. Now just imagine what Henriks numbers would look like if we had a blueline that could clear the crease and forwards that were more versed in picking up their guy instead of puck gazing.
Or imagine what the Rangers numbers would look like without HL...

9darter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 10:47 AM
HenriksBetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9darter View Post
Or imagine what the Rangers numbers would look like without HL...
I would rather not.

Old
11-15-2008, 11:13 AM
ColonialsHockey10

From what I have noticed we have been a little more lucky this season when it comes to pinball goals. I really feel bad for Lundqvist when those goals happen, he always roles his eyes and looks at the sky.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Blue Regime

It seems that most of the goals Hank gives up are ones where our defense takes the puck back somewhere by the goal, then tries to clear it but instead sets up their man on the point. Their guy then tries to shoot it back on goal quickly to maybe catch the Rangers sleeping, which often leads to these pinball goals.

As everyone else has said, it also comes down to the fact that our defensive style of play contributes to the high number of pinball goals against, whereas our offensive style of play contributes to the lack of pinball goals for.

Blue Regime is offline   Reply With Quote