HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

There are apparently some Brian Burke to NY rumors on Toronto radio

Old
11-15-2008, 09:00 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
It shouldnt be overlooked that "IF" in fact Sathers thinking of stepping down, someone has to be GM.

Would you rather have Messier? Because you know that could happen?

11-15-2008, 10:15 AM
Thefalkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromDubiToZherdev View Post
No way. Did you see what he has done to Anaheim? They are literally ****ed for the future.
He brought them a cup.

Thefalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
he was handed a very good position and, yes made the moves that lead to a Cup win. but it's unfair to compare him to our GM
I never made that comparison. No comparison is needed.

Quote:
the Cup was the exception to the rule, IMO.
As opposed to the vast majority of GMs in the history of the NHL who never had "an exception"? Getting picky here. Winning one Cup, as a player, coach or GM is a monumental feat. Ask the members of the 1993-94 NYR organization....and the members of the other 67 NYR teams that haven't won since 1940.

Quote:
of course I may be biased because I live in the Vancouver area and had to withstand his obnoxiousness for more than a few years and can't stand the guy.
I'll take an ass who wins. Heck, Sather is no Miss Congeniality. And since you brought up Vancouver, it does strike me as somewhat funny, how Burke and Messier are loathed by that fanbase.

Quote:
I think 2007 was an irregularity, and you'll see a regression towards the mean (mediocrity in Burke's case).
But the fact is - he won. To try to diminish that accomplishment, as some do here daily simply validates my signature (Saul Bellow quote) below. Why is Burke's services in demand?...Because in the NHL, those who win Cups are cherished. Not so much on HF.

I'm not suggesting for a nanosecond that he makes any sense for NYR. You have a five-time Cup winning exec at the helm, a guy who has turned around your franchise in the last three years. (Irony of ironies is that a few geniuses on HF try to diminish Sather's HOF executive career, suggesting that he hasn't won in some time and that "anyone" could have assembled and won with those Oilers teams.)

I do laugh at the idea that Burke "ruined" the Ducks and their future. Pure bunk. And again, it points to the priorities of some on HF(not suggesting you)...stocking up for some abstract future is more important that raising the Cup in June.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 05:34 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
As opposed to the vast majority of GMs in the history of the NHL who never had "an exception"? Getting picky here. Winning one Cup, as a player, coach or GM is a monumental feat. Ask the members of the 1993-94 NYR organization....and the members of the other 67 NYR teams that haven't won since 1940.
no dispute here. I'm not downplaying his accomplishments, I'm questioning his ability to repeat them.

Quote:
I'll take an ass who wins. Heck, Sather is no Miss Congeniality. And since you brought up Vancouver, it does strike me as somewhat funny, how Burke and Messier are loathed by that fanbase.
I would too, but I'm doubting how capable he is of winning. the only time I care about personality is when it gets in the way of winning.

most Canuck fans I know love Burke.

Quote:
I do laugh at the idea that Burke "ruined" the Ducks and their future. Pure bunk. And again, it points to the priorities of some on HF(not suggesting you)...stocking up for some abstract future is more important that raising the Cup in June.
I'm in 100% agreement here.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote