HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Andy Bathgate

Old
11-12-2008, 05:39 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

vCash: 500
Andy Bathgate

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anybody knows if/where Andy Bathgate is ranked in the upcoming draft. I went to the same school with the guy, and we were good friends, for a while until he was drafted by Belleville. I was just talking to some of my friends the other day and his name came up, considering this would be our age's draft year (1991), so I was wondering if anybody had any actual info on his status for the draft.

Thanks

Quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 05:42 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
there is an Andy Bathgate in the upcoming draft? guess you learn something new everyday

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 05:44 PM
hlundqvist30*

Rangers clearly need to draft this guy.

Would he be allowed to wear #9?

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 06:18 PM
bruinsfan46

Is he really even close to draft material? He has 5 points in 21 games this year as a centre. I've never noticed him but I'll try and check him out next time I watch Belleville. I'm doubting he gets drafted at this point.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 09:47 PM
derbyfan

Did quite well last year with Georgetown in the OPJHL as a 16-year old, and had a full ride to Northeastern. Gave it up to sign with Belleville, which from the coaches I spoke with both this year and last was deemed a bad move.
I was speaking with a well respected coach just yesterday about Andy. His comments were that this was a kid that didn't have the physical stature or maturation in his game yet to stand out in the OHL, and that he wished he's kept with the college route because it would have given him more time to develop.
Basically, he felt Bathgate was a poster-child for what not to do in the choice between MJ and NCAA.
I hope Andy turns out OK, but it's not looking good for the draft this year...

derbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 09:55 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
I am all for the Rangers drafting him in the 7th round if he's still available.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 09:59 PM
WesternCollegeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbyfan View Post
Basically, he felt Bathgate was a poster-child for what not to do in the choice between MJ and NCAA.
That's an awfully crowded poster.

WesternCollegeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 10:05 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Is he really even close to draft material? He has 5 points in 21 games this year as a centre. I've never noticed him but I'll try and check him out next time I watch Belleville. I'm doubting he gets drafted at this point.
He isn't really getting that much playing time because of how good the top-2 lines are. He has a ton of skill and he isn't small, so it's all about putting the full package together. Should go in the 6th/7th and could be looked at as a steal like the Johnston pick by Detroit in the 7th round.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated

Old
11-13-2008, 08:15 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

any relation to the NHL legend?

Yzerplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 10:17 PM
derbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
any relation to the NHL legend?
He's the grandson of the NHL great.

derbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 01:46 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbyfan View Post
He's the grandson of the NHL great.
^^ The original used to help out at his AAA practices when he was younger.

Old
12-06-2008, 12:08 PM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
He has definitely stepped up his play as of late,
scoring 7 more points in 10 games, giving him a tally of 12 points in 31 games.

respectable, especially considering he's been seeing third line time.

But watching him play in OPJHL, and cathcing the odd highlights from Belleville, Andy definitely shows some nice talent.
He works hard night in and night out, has great sight and hockey sense and is a strong skater, placed on top of some some-what-hidden, but nice deceptive moves.

At this point, i feel he'd need to do something very special to catch the eyes of the top scouts for this draft,
but if he works on using his size a little more (respectable 6'1", 175) this guy could be a steal in the late rounds.
...but also dont be surprised to see him be skipped on this year, wait til he's older.

uncleben85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 09:56 PM
Bulls guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
He isn't really getting that much playing time because of how good the top-2 lines are. He has a ton of skill and he isn't small, so it's all about putting the full package together. Should go in the 6th/7th and could be looked at as a steal like the Johnston pick by Detroit in the 7th round.
I have to disagree with you here. He was given a ton of ice time at the start of the season. He was playing on the top line, first PP unit and was getting PK time. I dont think he can handle the physical aspect of the game almost every game he is smoke at least once along the boards and goes off immediately. He has been placed on the third line as of late and is playing wing now not centre. He seems to have good vision and reads the play well but he is a far cry from the rugged player his grandfather was. He will probably be a late round pick due to his name and bloodlines.

Bulls guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 10:35 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls guy View Post
I have to disagree with you here. He was given a ton of ice time at the start of the season. He was playing on the top line, first PP unit and was getting PK time. I dont think he can handle the physical aspect of the game almost every game he is smoke at least once along the boards and goes off immediately. He has been placed on the third line as of late and is playing wing now not centre. He seems to have good vision and reads the play well but he is a far cry from the rugged player his grandfather was. He will probably be a late round pick due to his name and bloodlines.
He got decent time at the beginning of the year but he sure wasn't as the year has gone on. Maybe im just not noticing him...I wish the OHL kept TOI statistics like the NHL did.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 05:54 PM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls guy View Post
If he saw more ice time at the start of the season, and is now see a decline in his ice time, WHILE seeing an increase in scoring, it is evident his level of play has increased. Whether it is confidence, or just he is now getting used to the play in the O, if he continues to build his skill the way he is now, we could very well see a rise in his stock.

I do agree though, his physical aspect of the game is all but gone now with the Bulls (not that he was a scraper or grinder or any kind of power forward before, but he could hold his own). He should really look into using his decent frame to bulk up his game if he wants in on this draft.

Last edited by uncleben85: 12-08-2008 at 06:04 PM.
Old
06-30-2009, 12:30 AM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleben85 View Post
If he saw more ice time at the start of the season, and is now see a decline in his ice time, WHILE seeing an increase in scoring, it is evident his level of play has increased. Whether it is confidence, or just he is now getting used to the play in the O, if he continues to build his skill the way he is now, we could very well see a rise in his stock.

I do agree though, his physical aspect of the game is all but gone now with the Bulls (not that he was a scraper or grinder or any kind of power forward before, but he could hold his own). He should really look into using his decent frame to bulk up his game if he wants in on this draft.
well, he obviously did something right! lol

Pittsburgh Penguins AND in the 5th round. pretty respectable. no offence to him but i thought he'd be more of a seventh round project.

it'll be neat watching how his career works out

Old
06-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 319
His last name sounds like a political scandal

Flour Child is offline   Reply With Quote