HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Bure, Fedorov, Mogilny or Kovalchuk, Malkin, Ovechkin?

View Poll Results: Which era of Russians is better?
Bure, Fedorov, Mogilny 157 49.68%
Kovalchuk, Malkin, Ovechkin 159 50.32%
Voters: 316. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-15-2008, 11:03 AM
mytor4*

vCash: 500
Bure, Fedorov, Mogilny
Kovalchuk, Malkin, Ovechkin

You have to give the edge to Bure, Fedorov, Mogilny for now but when Kovalchuk, Malkin, Ovechkin careers are done i'm quite sure they will have surpassed Bure, Fedorov, Mogilny in terms of accomplished players.

Ovechkin -Good all aroung player. Plays a rough game and can score. Does it all.
Fedorov- another good all around player. Can adapt to playing the rough style game when needed to.
Malkin-More of a set up man like Thornton but can also score the goals
Mogilny and Kovalchuk imo seem to be the same type of player. Fast with a booming shot.Both can pass and both could do those end to end rushes.
Bure-Sure could put the puck in the net but thats it. A one dementional player that made his career by hangung around the blueline waithing for that breakaway pass.

When all is said and done i would rate them in order

Ovechkin
Malkin
Fedorov
with the top 3 order interchanable .I really like what all 3 bring to the game.
The bottom 3 stay in the order given.
Kovalchuk -on a different could join the top 3.
Mogilny
Bure

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 11:24 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by goliath5151 View Post
Ill take Kovalchuck, Malkin and Ovechkin

I see all 3 as 500+ goal scorers
They're all more physical as well
Overall this group I find to be better defensively, even if Fedorov was the best individually

If we're talking better-at-their-peak, then I might go with Bure-Fedorov-Mogilny

But career wise, ill give it to the younger generation

Bure vs Ovechkin
Id have to go with ovechkin. Seems almost if not equally adept at scoring, but much better defensively and more physical
Ovechkin

Mogilny Vs Kovalchuck
Mogilny had one amazing season, and some great ones. But overall i feel Kovalchuck will get more career goals. Also Kovalchuck does get a bit edgy when he wants to
Kovalchuck

Fedorov vs Malkin
Both are the best defensively and best playmakers of the two groups. Malkin will be better offensively, but Fedorov is better defensively
Tie
Best post of the thread. I agree with everything you said. Though if Malkin doesn't get lazy late in his career, he'll end up with a better career than Fedorov (who only cared in the playoffs after he signed the big contract).

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 11:28 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
Bure, Fedorov, Mogilny

You have to give the edge to Bure, Fedorov, Mogilny for now but when Kovalchuk, Malkin, Ovechkin careers are done i'm quite sure they will have surpassed Bure, Fedorov, Mogilny in terms of accomplished players.

Ovechkin -Good all aroung player. Plays a rough game and can score. Does it all.
Fedorov- another good all around player. Can adapt to playing the rough style game when needed to.
Mogilny and Kovalchuk imo seem to be the same type of player. Fast with a booming shot.Both can pass and both could do those end to end rushes.
Bure-Sure could put the puck in the net but thats it. A one dementional player that made his career by hangung around the blueline waithing for that breakaway pass.

Ovechkin
Malkin
Fedorov
Mogilny
Bure
Mogilny was just as one dimensional as Bure, and much less consistent.

I do strongly agree, however, that Ovechkin, Malkin, and Fedorov are the top 3, with their order not yet to be determined.

I would then have Bure 4th. Kovalchuk and Mogilny play a similar game, but neither is as consistent as Bure was.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 09:53 PM
CANUCKER4LIFE19*

Quote:
Bure, Fedorov, Mogilny

Ovechkin
Malkin
Fedorov
Mogilny
Bure
bure in the bottom
bure should be at the top

CANUCKER4LIFE19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 10:49 AM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestfall77 View Post
bure in the bottom
bure should be at the top
I'm sure the op wanted the best players not a one dimensional player that just hovered around the blueline. Like i said Bure was a great goal scorer, a great break away player.But other than that he was useless to his team. He couldn't or never played defensively,He never tried backchecking, He couldn't play phyiscal, He never checked.When the opposing team had controll of the puck in Bure's end when Bure was on the ice it was like playing shorthanded for all he did.That not the sign of a great player.

Old
11-16-2008, 01:16 PM
kmart

Send a message via MSN to kmart
Quote:
Bure, Fedorov, Mogilny

Ovechkin
Malkin
Fedorov
Mogilny
Bure

thats what i hear from the typical bure haters here... "he only waited for the pass!" but that is what a player with his skill and speed had to do and thats why he will be remembered as one the best goal scorers in history. i am sure if he battled more in the boards in defense like all haters seem to want, we wouldnt call him russian rocket now.

kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 02:06 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post
thats what i hear from the typical bure haters here... "he only waited for the pass!" but that is what a player with his skill and speed had to do and thats why he will be remembered as one the best goal scorers in history. i am sure if he battled more in the boards in defense like all haters seem to want, we wouldnt call him russian rocket now.
So was Fedorov missing skill or speed?

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
Bure vs Ovechkin
Federov vs Malkin
Mogilny vs Kovalchuk

.. Honestly I have no idea, it looks close to me.

1: Fedorov
2: Ovechkin
3: Malkin
4: Bure
5: Kovalchuk
6: Moginly

As a trio, I'd have to take the current guns, despite Fedorovs awesomeness.

Malkin & Ovy haven't even reached their peaks yet. I'd swap Kovy for Semin btw, I always found Kovalchuk a tad overrated.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 02:57 PM
nvan97

First, and foremost, if Ovechkin was playing at the same time as Lemiuex, Lindros, and Messier he wouldn't have been winning any Hart trophies either.
Bure would've won 3 Richard trophies if they had been giving out that award.

Fedorov is unquestionably the best player in that group. He has had a phenomenal career on both sides of the puck. On top of the fact that he is in the top 30 all-time for playoff points with just under a PPG in the post season. 3 cups, a Hart, 2 Selkes, and a Lester B. and the highest scoring russian of all time. He is a guaranteed hall of famer.
Bure is probably the greatest scorer in the NHL in the last 15 years. He was electrifying and was one game away from bringing the cup to Vancouver. He would have 3 Richard trophies to his name.
Mogilny had one phenomenal season and a handful of good seasons. A solid playoff performer he won one cup with the Devils and reached game 7 the year after. He also won a Lady Byng trophy.
Kovalchuk might be (from what I've heard) one of the worst team players in the league. An exceptional goal scorer and seemingly immune to injuries.
Malkin is going to be a great player but is in his 3rd NHL season. He won the Calder but hasn't done anything else to warrant being compare to Bure.
Ovechkin is the best player in the league today. Fast, strong, and winning multiple awards. But he has 300+ goals and 800+ points to surpass Fedorov. He might do it but Crosby might catch Jagr someday as well. It's sheer speculation.

If the current guys can continue to stay relatively injury free they will probably be the better group but they have a lot of games, goals, assists, and Stanley Cups to go. I give this one to the old guys, for now.

nvan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 03:00 PM
kmart

Send a message via MSN to kmart
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
So was Fedorov missing skill or speed?

if u compare him to bure, the answer is yes in both category's. but if u put bure as a center on a detroit redwings team, of course he would fail. both dominated in their own ways

kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 06:46 PM
TimeZone
Swedish Sensation

New era.

TimeZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 06:47 PM
AgentNaslund*

go to www.youtube.com type in Pavel Bure.

Him alone can probably alter decision's for those who wanna select Kovalchuk and company. Just an amazing player Bure is.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 06:59 PM
harmonica

If Ovey and Geno continue to progress and hit their absolute potentials, the new guys will win it as a group.

harmonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 07:05 PM
Saw Jiris Tlusty

Some great arguments in this thread. As for the poll its too hard to decide but I went with the new guys based solely on potential.

Saw Jiris Tlusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 07:25 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post

Agree one of the best goal scorers in history but also one of the worst players in history if counted on for anything else except suckhole around the blueline.

Old
11-16-2008, 08:29 PM
CANUCKER4LIFE19*

Quote:
I'm sure the op wanted the best players not a one dimensional player that just hovered around the blueline. Like i said Bure was a great goal scorer, a great break away player.But other than that he was useless to his team. He couldn't or never played defensively,He never tried backchecking, He couldn't play phyiscal, He never checked.When the opposing team had controll of the puck in Bure's end when Bure was on the ice it was like playing shorthanded for all he did.That not the sign of a great player.
He can play physical. Look what he did to simpson and that minnesota star player (don't know what his name is though). Bure when angry can play physical imo

Old
11-16-2008, 08:31 PM
CANUCKER4LIFE19*

I personally think that bure is the best out of all these great russian superstars.

Old
11-16-2008, 11:13 PM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

the fact that a poll exists like this when the second group are in their early 20's, suggests they have a very good and likely chance of surpassing the older 3 very quickly.

Portable Mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 01:04 AM
MG91

Old School

MG91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 01:08 AM
God
Free Citizen

I voted for the old era and now it's dead even =O

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 07:24 AM
KingLundqvistXXX
Confetti & Balloons

I agree with everyone who thinks Bure should be at the top. Sure he wasn't a complete player but he could COMPLETELY dominate and win games BY HIMSELF. No one else could do that!

These Bure haters are ridiculous around here. Maybe I am a little biased because he is seriously one of my favorite players of all time but some of you are just ridiculous that thinks he just was a cherry picker. I wish they made a Pavel Bure DVD so some of the footage could be posted to prove to you that he did more than just "stand at the red line".

KingLundqvistXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 08:27 AM
Nordic*

Fedorov was faster than Bure.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 10:19 AM
pouskin74*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvan97 View Post
First, and foremost, if Ovechkin was playing at the same time as Lemiuex, Lindros, and Messier he wouldn't have been winning any Hart trophies either.
Bure would've won 3 Richard trophies if they had been giving out that award.

Fedorov is unquestionably the best player in that group. He has had a phenomenal career on both sides of the puck. On top of the fact that he is in the top 30 all-time for playoff points with just under a PPG in the post season. 3 cups, a Hart, 2 Selkes, and a Lester B. and the highest scoring russian of all time. He is a guaranteed hall of famer.
Bure is probably the greatest scorer in the NHL in the last 15 years. He was electrifying and was one game away from bringing the cup to Vancouver. He would have 3 Richard trophies to his name.
Mogilny had one phenomenal season and a handful of good seasons. A solid playoff performer he won one cup with the Devils and reached game 7 the year after. He also won a Lady Byng trophy.
Kovalchuk might be (from what I've heard) one of the worst team players in the league. An exceptional goal scorer and seemingly immune to injuries.
Malkin is going to be a great player but is in his 3rd NHL season. He won the Calder but hasn't done anything else to warrant being compare to Bure.
Ovechkin is the best player in the league today. Fast, strong, and winning multiple awards. But he has 300+ goals and 800+ points to surpass Fedorov. He might do it but Crosby might catch Jagr someday as well. It's sheer speculation.

If the current guys can continue to stay relatively injury free they will probably be the better group but they have a lot of games, goals, assists, and Stanley Cups to go. I give this one to the old guys, for now.
how can you say that he wouldnt win !? especially i like that you put Lindros on that list!!!

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 12:43 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilros View Post
Fedorov was faster than Bure.
Not with the puck imo.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 01:00 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLundqvistXXX View Post
I agree with everyone who thinks Bure should be at the top. Sure he wasn't a complete player but he could COMPLETELY dominate and win games BY HIMSELF. No one else could do that!

These Bure haters are ridiculous around here. Maybe I am a little biased because he is seriously one of my favorite players of all time but some of you are just ridiculous that thinks he just was a cherry picker. I wish they made a Pavel Bure DVD so some of the footage could be posted to prove to you that he did more than just "stand at the red line".
They can and have.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote