Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Any UMN alum here?

Old
11-12-2008, 10:01 PM
Dr Turk

vCash: 500
Any UMN alum here?

Hey all, Im a high school senior and minnesota is one of my top 3 schools and a place I'm seriously considering going for college, I applied to the college of Biological sciences and think I have a pretty good shot to get in. Are there any alum who could share their experiences and how much they liked the school?

Thanks, and good luck to the Wild this season

Dr Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 08:22 PM
BigT2002

Loved every minute of it! So much I had to enlist in the military lol. I love the college and I love the people. Area is perfect for someone who isn't used to the Twin Cities, and you'll never run out of things to do.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 01:23 AM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Best part is going to Gopher Hockey games.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 09:39 AM
MN_Gopher

It is a great school. Everything is right there. Campus is easy to find your way around. The school itself is known world wide. It ranks higher than some Ivy's in certain programs.

I read some where a few years back. If you count all the sperate colleges with in the univeristy. Carlson and others... It is one of the biggest campuses in the world. If you want you will never have a dull moment.

Football will be on campus, Williams areana is a "barn" but it is one of the best venues i have been to in all sports. For atmosphere not structure. Mariucci is great for hockey. The girls areana and games are also fun at Ridder.

MN_Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 09:45 PM
Dr Turk

thanks for the responses guys. I am having trouble deciding between UMN and Wisconsin madison, Im not really sure I want to go to school in a big city. How are the people there in general, are they pretty laid back? and are intermural sports big there?

Old
11-15-2008, 02:12 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTurkelton View Post
thanks for the responses guys. I am having trouble deciding between UMN and Wisconsin madison, Im not really sure I want to go to school in a big city. How are the people there in general, are they pretty laid back? and are intermural sports big there?
If you go to WI, I will see to it your banned

Old
11-15-2008, 02:38 AM
mmk786

intramural sports are huge, lots of participants.
The campus is close to downtown but is kind of in its own area so you get a college feel to it. People are generally nice.

mmk786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Miss Mess

I just graduated from the U. I always liked it, met a lot of cool people over the years! The school might seem huge but it's not too bad. There is a free bus you can take to get around. And most of your freshman year classes would likely be on the same campus (east bank), near the dorms.

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 11:13 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
The big difference between Madison and Minneapolis is that Madison is a college town (the entire city revolves around UW) while Minneapolis exists as its own entity (which is great if you want something to do off-campus). At the same time, the U is large enough where it seems to be its own little town (a reason that I have found Dinkytown to be a fitting name for one of the neighborhoods) with its own college atmosphere.

And I can't speak for all intramural sports, but the ones that I played at Minnesota had great participation.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 11:06 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
The big difference between Madison and Minneapolis is that Madison is a college town (the entire city revolves around UW) while Minneapolis exists as its own entity (which is great if you want something to do off-campus). At the same time, the U is large enough where it seems to be its own little town (a reason that I have found Dinkytown to be a fitting name for one of the neighborhoods) with its own college atmosphere.

And I can't speak for all intramural sports, but the ones that I played at Minnesota had great participation.
werd. Madison wasn't that great IMO and because of that law where nothing can be higher than the capital building it also seemed kind of small. Twin Cities will keep you busy with things going on its not even funny. Plus you have all the major sports probably 15-20 miles away if that from where you'll be living. The Superdorm area was pretty sweet, girl I fooled around with though was on the St. Paul campus (about 5 miles down on Uni Ave). Dinkytown and Uptown were fun places to chill at that age.

There are a ton of intramural sports going on within the college. They'll have the stuff in the dorms bulletin board telling whats coming up. I know they had football, basketball, and hockey though.

Old
12-01-2008, 10:01 PM
Dr Turk

Thanks for all the responses. I was hoping to come on here and say I got accepted and was attending here but apparently I'm either postponed or rejected. Im not gonna lie I was a little shocked, I thought with a 3.5 gpa and 33 act score I would almost be a shoe in. Oh well, Now i can only hope they postponed me and I still have a shot. Again thanks for your insights.

Old
12-04-2008, 11:44 AM
MN_Gopher

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses. I was hoping to come on here and say I got accepted and was attending here but apparently I'm either postponed or rejected. Im not gonna lie I was a little shocked, I thought with a 3.5 gpa and 33 act score I would almost be a shoe in. Oh well, Now i can only hope they postponed me and I still have a shot. Again thanks for your insights.
Are you currently in school? So you would be a transfer student. If that is the case their are just waiting for your fall transcripts.

Old
12-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Dr Turk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher View Post
Are you currently in school? So you would be a transfer student. If that is the case their are just waiting for your fall transcripts.
Im a senior in high school.

Old
12-05-2008, 09:00 AM
MN_Gopher

Quote:
Im a senior in high school.
So you are still taking classes is what i mean. They kinda shoe your spring semester under the door. But will not send out exeption letters usully before feb 1st. If i remember correct. Then they will accept you. For me for grad school aps are not due until feb 1.

Old
12-05-2008, 09:34 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
So you are still taking classes is what i mean. They kinda shoe your spring semester under the door. But will not send out exeption letters usully before feb 1st. If i remember correct. Then they will accept you. For me for grad school aps are not due until feb 1.
Werd.

If I can offer you ANY advice right now as well. If you don't get accepted. Do your 2 years at a local Community College then put in your transfer to the U. I can't imagine out of state tuition is going to be cheap....and 4 years of it

Old
12-05-2008, 11:41 PM
Dr Turk

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Werd.

If I can offer you ANY advice right now as well. If you don't get accepted. Do your 2 years at a local Community College then put in your transfer to the U. I can't imagine out of state tuition is going to be cheap....and 4 years of it
Thanks, Yeah Im taking classes, I got the letter today and was postponed at the college of biological science.. But at least my grades this semester are decent so theres some hope.

Oh and to the tuition, you would be surprised, They have one of the lowest out of state tuitions in the country, around 14000 I think. It would end up being cheaper than my state school