HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#15 -- Flyers at Penguins -- November 13, 2008 -- 7:30 PM (ET)

Old
11-14-2008, 12:00 AM
BerubeBox*

vCash: 500
On a related note, Pens fans are extremely impressed by the witty expressions we come up with for the term "shoot out". I think it's cute that they take it to heart. The nerve of us not to like a relatively new rule that changed the dynamic of the game.

It's also encouraging to see that even their mods have slammed shot after shot of the 'Flyers are Evil and Make Innocent Players Evil' koolaid.

schema

Last edited by BerubeBox*: 11-14-2008 at 12:07 AM.
BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 12:08 AM
kicksave27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
I swear I sat and said the same thing.

Over.

And over.

I don't know why NO ONE just gets between the circles and !!!BLASTS!!!
Alot if it has to do with the depth of the goalie, if they come out and cut down the angle too much, not alot you can do but go for the move. If you move back to quickly or don't come out far enough the shooters will pick you apart, which up until tonight has been biron's problem. My seats are behind the goalie in the upper deck, so those things are easy to see and just infuriates me.

A slap shot between the circles is fairly low % shot, gives the goalie both time to set and probably move out to take the angle. Considering most NHL goalies are 6'3" and over, doesn't give you much space with the lower accuracy of the slap shot. If you can get the goalie moving with a deke or move some kind your more likely to score. As a goalie, I want the guy to shoot, i'm set and waiting for it, I like my odds.

The lone exception on the flyers is Jeff Carter, his wrist shot is ungodly, it handcuffs goalies like crazy from pretty far out. He beat vallequett against the NYR last year with wrist shot that unfortunately hit the post. Vally didn't react to it until it had hit the post and came back past him, then had the nerve to steal carters fist pump when he won the shootout. i hate that guy, his only skill is size.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 12:11 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
how did lasse look at center?

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 12:23 AM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
how did lasse look at center?
He wasn't there long, Vaananen left late in the 1st and Kukks took over. I'm usually a Kukkonen Hater but he played a strong game tonight.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 01:09 AM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Eklund said Holmgren was scouting the Phoenix-Minnesota game tonight:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...dYotes/1/17854
what would we possibly want from either of those two teams. BRING BACK KIM!!!!!!

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 01:59 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
i'd love to know who he was scouting.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 02:08 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Finally saw the Sabourin save. Richards will never miss a chance like that again.

I, too, wonder who Holmgren was scouting.... Zbynek Michalek? *crosses fingers*

11-14-2008, 02:15 AM
TheTaekster

i'd love seeing kim back here...damn.

TheTaekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 03:27 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaCrowdMosh View Post
i'd love seeing kim back here...damn.
not at a 4.85 million cap hit

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 06:10 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
If we get Zbynek Michalek I will be so pumped. One of the most underrated defensemen in the NHL.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 07:21 AM
rayearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Finally saw the Sabourin save. Richards will never miss a chance like that again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVMaHMwUv7U&fmt=18

I really wanted to find the Hartnell one.

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 07:51 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
And it was, to me, totally representative of what is probably the most negative aspect of Richards play on a regular basis. I love the guy, and there's very little that he does out there that I see as negative...but he definitely has a penchant for trying to force passes that aren't really there.
I often see and think the same thing. In some circles it's called "trying to do too much".

Just another step along the way to maturity.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 07:55 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
A slap shot between the circles is fairly low % shot, gives the goalie both time to set and probably move out to take the angle. Considering most NHL goalies are 6'3" and over, doesn't give you much space with the lower accuracy of the slap shot. If you can get the goalie moving with a deke or move some kind your more likely to score. As a goalie, I want the guy to shoot, i'm set and waiting for it, I like my odds.
I know. There's a reason why nearly everyone dekes every time. But because they do I just feel like actually shooting the puck might see some success.

Famous Non Deke ==>

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 07:59 AM
BringBackStevens

The Hartnell attempt sucked, however...

1) One of our top 4 has to score if marty stops 4 shots (rarest thing ever)

2) Hartnell is not a breakaway, skill player who will beat you with his moves. It was an awful idea to put him anywhere above 6th in the shootout order.

3) Incidientally, Andreas Nodl was amazing at shootouts attempts in the preseason camps i attended. He was a no brainer at that spot. I would have even put him in before Lupul (whose attempt was only not seen as worse becuase he didnt run into the goalie)

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 08:10 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
the puck deflected twice on that play. i get that he'll still beat himself up for it, but i don't get how anyone other than himself can hold him accountable for that.

with the way all the bounces were going tonight, the flyers weren't meant to win.
That was a classic case of Richards trying to do too much below the circles with the puck--he's guilty of this with some regularity. When he gets away with it, looks great...when he doesn't, it can end up in the back of the net. At that point in the game, with a one-goal lead, the puck needs to be going up the boards hard...safe, easy play.

Mike Richards makes the safe play, we probably win that game. Instead he tried to get cute and pump the puck between two Pens, it bounced off one and out to the front of the net it went.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 08:17 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
That was a classic case of Richards trying to do too much below the circles with the puck--he's guilty of this with some regularity. When he gets away with it, looks great...when he doesn't, it can end up in the back of the net. At that point in the game, with a one-goal lead, the puck needs to be going up the boards hard...safe, easy play.

Mike Richards makes the safe play, we probably win that game. Instead he tried to get cute and pump the puck between two Pens, it bounced off one and out to the front of the net it went.

Yeah, it was downright novice. Not what we come to expect from such a cerebral player. The only play to be made in that situation was blasting it around the wall. I hate the way we cycle the puck backwards, it invites disaster.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 08:17 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post

Against two arguable best players in the league. Not just some players.

Mike will learn. I am not worried:

"I was just trying to go hard off the boards and if the winger's there, he could chip it out and if not, it could go directly out," Richards said of the third-period play. "I don't know if it hit a skate or a shin pad, I don't know but it was just a poor play by me."

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 08:52 AM
kicksave27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
I know. There's a reason why nearly everyone dekes every time. But because they do I just feel like actually shooting the puck might see some success.

Famous Non Deke ==>
Joe Sakic probably shoots more than most, but he has one of the quickest releases in history. And the older guys like sakic and JR, seem to be more accurate. Routinely going 4 for 4 in the accuracy competition. Once the composite sticks really started going, shooting became more about velocity than accuracy. A well placed shot doing 80 has a better chance than a 100mph shot at the goalie's chest or the glass. But you can't tell shooters anything, they are busy flexing sticks in the hall trying to see which one gives them the most kick.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 08:52 AM
Richyrich

This team has yet to beat a serious playoff threat.

Anyone else concerned about this fact?

Richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 08:54 AM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post

I, too, wonder who Holmgren was scouting.... Zbynek Michalek? *crosses fingers*
Zidlicky is like 4.5 mil too.
Not happening.

edit. 3.75

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 08:59 AM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
The Hartnell attempt sucked, however...

1) One of our top 4 has to score if marty stops 4 shots (rarest thing ever)

2) Hartnell is not a breakaway, skill player who will beat you with his moves. It was an awful idea to put him anywhere above 6th in the shootout order.

3) Incidientally, Andreas Nodl was amazing at shootouts attempts in the preseason camps i attended. He was a no brainer at that spot. I would have even put him in before Lupul (whose attempt was only not seen as worse becuase he didnt run into the goalie)
Why not Upshall in that situation?

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 09:09 AM
Crosscheck42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richyrich View Post
This team has yet to beat a serious playoff threat.

Anyone else concerned about this fact?
I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised to hear that. They haven't looked like a playoff team yet this year.

In short, there's a lot more to be concerned about than how they play the good teams, because they can't even sustain a 2-way effort against the bad ones, either.

Aside from the Atlanta game, they haven't played a 60 minute game all year. That's a legitimate concern.

Crosscheck42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 09:15 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

Blaming this L on hartnell is ********. As with blaming it on Stevens. Whatever he said in that TO worked. That's a fact.
Blame it on the team for giving up 3 goals to start (though crosby and Malkin's goals were sick)

Say a player had a game with a terrible defensive giveaway, leading to a tying goal. Then in a shootout, had the goalie beat, but lazily tried to push the puck into the net and tried to look pretty instead of slamming it home and it got stopped.

Now let's call that player Lupul. You vultures would be all over him.

But it was Richards.

You flame Stevens for playing favorites when it comes to accountability, but you do the same thing.

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 09:19 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerPuck View Post
Zidlicky is like 4.5 mil too.
Not happening.

edit. 3.75
Dude.

DUDE.

Zbynek Michalek's cap hit is $1.25 and he is signed thru '09-'10.

No one mentioned Zidlicky at all.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 09:24 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
Blaming this L on hartnell is ********. As with blaming it on Stevens. Whatever he said in that TO worked. That's a fact.
Blame it on the team for giving up 3 goals to start (though crosby and Malkin's goals were sick)

Say a player had a game with a terrible defensive giveaway, leading to a tying goal. Then in a shootout, had the goalie beat, but lazily tried to push the puck into the net and tried to look pretty instead of slamming it home and it got stopped.

Now let's call that player Lupul. You vultures would be all over him.

But it was Richards.

You flame Stevens for playing favorites when it comes to accountability, but you do the same thing.
Richards defensive giveaway sucked for us, but it was a tough play. He knows he screwed up, in many ways it was bad luck also, it deflected off a skate or something right in front of Biron and right onto Crosby's stick.

However, the Sabourin save was sick. Richards should have buried that, and I screamed when I saw that, I would pound that ****ing puck in and make sure we win. However, whats done is done and once again the Flyers find a way to lose.

These guys need to practice shootouts more. Biron actually looked good, but none of the shooters did anything, Hartnell looked particularly awful.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote