HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could Salvation Be At Hand For The Florida Panthers?

Old
11-13-2008, 10:50 AM
Georgia Panther

vCash: 500
Could Salvation Be At Hand For The Florida Panthers?

ESPN's Scott Burnside lists Florida as one of the landing spots for Brian Burke.

Florida Panthers
Speaking of franchises with myriad problems, is there a worse team from top to bottom in the NHL? We suggest not. But if owner Alan Cohen ever wanted to turn this tub around, he should be on the phone to Burke at the earliest opportunity. With all due respect to GM Jacques Martin, he is ill-qualified to do the job, and the team's moribund performance so far this season (14th in the Eastern Conference as of Wednesday) suggests yet another year without playoffs in a market where the team already has laid off staff because of the economy.

The Panthers must decide what to do with top defenseman Jay Bouwmeester, who will become an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season; and, after the team botched the June 2006 trade of franchise netminder Roberto Luongo, this stands as a seminal moment in the team's history. Which would you rather have pulling the trigger on such a deal: Martin, who was forced to become a GM after failing as a coach, or Burke? Asked and answered.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...ott&id=3699161

I'll believe it when it happens though if Cohen wanted to give Panther Fans a Christmas present this would be an excellent one.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 11:00 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
I really hate Burnside. Like really, really hate him. He always trashes this team to no end. Go figure, he used to be a Thrashers writer. What a bum.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 11:01 AM
FlaPanthers7

I just can't see Cohen making a move like this after signing JM to a long-term deal. Cohen's been pushing for stability in the organization and that would fly in the face of that mantra, regardless of how much sense it could potentially make.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 11:02 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
I really hate Burnside. Like really, really hate him. He always trashes this team to no end. Go figure, he used to be a Thrashers writer. What a bum.
Well, it's not like we don't deserve it!

Old
11-13-2008, 11:07 AM
Rattrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Well, it's not like we don't deserve it!
Oh, we most definitely deserve criticism. But to say top to bottom we are the worst team? ********! Our offense sucks and our defense and goaltending is far above average. I can name at least 5 teams who are way worse off then we are.

Old
11-13-2008, 11:20 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Burnside's worse than your other favorite writer GP...

11-13-2008, 11:22 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Oh, we most definitely deserve criticism. But to say top to bottom we are the worst team? ********! Our offense sucks and our defense and goaltending is far above average. I can name at least 5 teams who are way worse off then we are.
Add Rochester to the equation and yes, an arguement can be made that we are the worst, top to bottom or bottom to the top, take your pick. I really don't think we are the NHL's worst team, but worst Franchise including Organization and fan support over a period of years? That point is hard to argue against.

Old
11-13-2008, 11:23 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Burnside's worse than your other favorite writer GP...
I agree, Burnside is worse than GR.

Old
11-13-2008, 11:34 AM
Laus723
Future Now

lol, not who I was talking about.

I woouldn't mind landing Burke at all, he did great in Anaheim during their years around their winning the Cup. But, I've questioned a bit his abilities of late. Honestly, who doesn't see him landing in Toronoto, anyway?

Cohen's the main culprit here and I like what DeBoer beings to this team. If a new GM is brought, I'll be mad if DeBoer isn't retained.

Laus723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 11:53 AM
Biggzy*

I would love to have Brian Burke here, he could be the Bill Parcells of the Panthers, but why would he leave Anaheim? Is his contract almost up or something?

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 12:03 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post
I would love to have Brian Burke here, he could be the Bill Parcells of the Panthers, but why would he leave Anaheim? Is his contract almost up or something?
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stor...d.html?ref=rss

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 12:26 PM
Acadmus

As I've said before (but with a caveat I'll repeat after) Martin should have 3-4 years in the General Manager's role (and not including the year as GM-Coach) to stabilize the franchise. If there's no results after that time, he can be replaced.

But the caveat to that is the Panthers need to be showing some improvement on the ice, enough to end the ridiculous playoff drought.

I'm also thinking I should get onboard with GP's idea that the team needs a hockey-minded President and Cohen should step down. This would actually preclude the need for keeping Martin, since the President could provide the stability by vetoing stupid ego-driven moves by any new GM (i.e. dismantling the entire prospect pool like Keenan did) but also being smart enough to let the GM make the moves that need to be made (i.e. trading JBo now).

That's not to trash Martin - despite I don't like the current on-ice product, I really did like the moves he made this off-season. I've no problem with the Olli trade, the defense is really solid, and Cory Stillman was a genius signing. But moves not made - the lack of an impact scorer, the fact JBo wasn't dealt when it became glaringly obvious he wasn't interested in being in Florida anymore...even holding on to Horton when his drive is questionable (though he's up to 6 goals now, so who knows - I can't see games like you guys can) suggest Martin isn't the perfect person for the job. But then again, how much of these issues can be blamed on him, and how many are due to Cohen's meddling? I know I don't have an inside line on how the team is managed.

11-13-2008, 12:35 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Burke is NOT the answer. You can kiss our future goodbye if he comes in.

Let's see where Anaheim is in 3 seasons.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 01:13 PM
Ismellofhockey

I don't understand why the Panthers are so bad this year, top 10 netminding, top 3 defence in the East, decent top 6 players in Horton, Stillman, Weiss, Booth and hopefully Frolik...

There are only 2 things I see explaining this slow start:
- adapting to a new coach
or
- Bouwmeester has become a distraction

In either case, Burke wouldn't be an answer as he can't anything about #1 and Martin has been great with his trades no?

Ismellofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 01:14 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthiasitchy View Post
Burke is NOT the answer. You can kiss our future goodbye if he comes in.

Let's see where Anaheim is in 3 seasons.
Getzlaf, Perry, Carter, Moen, Beauchemin, Ryan, and Giggy's still only 31. He hasn't ransomed their future, though, that team does need to have careful handling. With their aged vets getting older, they're going to need some capable guys to come in and take their place.

Old
11-13-2008, 01:24 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ismellofhockey View Post
I don't understand why the Panthers are so bad this year, top 10 netminding, top 3 defence in the East, decent top 6 players in Horton, Stillman, Weiss, Booth and hopefully Frolik...

There are only 2 things I see explaining this slow start:
- adapting to a new coach
or
- Bouwmeester has become a distraction

In either case, Burke wouldn't be an answer as he can't anything about #1 and Martin has been great with his trades no?
I think it's a combination of things. Adapting to a new coach and trying to get rid of that culture of losing. Part of the reason for the losing streak was their psyche and their getting away from DeBoer's system. In all their wins, they do what he's telling him to do, it the losses, they get away from that and start up with the bad habits.

I don't think Bouw's a distraction to anyone other than himself. He's not playing how he's played in the past.

Old
11-13-2008, 01:28 PM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
Quote:
I think it's a combination of things. Adapting to a new coach and trying to get rid of that culture of losing. Part of the reason for the losing streak was their psyche and their getting away from DeBoer's system. In all their wins, they do what he's telling him to do, it the losses, they get away from that and start up with the bad habits.

I don't think Bouw's a distraction to anyone other than himself. He's not playing how he's played in the past.
Not to mention that his system makes them tired by the third, and those losses further demoralize the team.

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 01:34 PM
zeroG

Quote:

greetings from marakkech. just wanted to check in on the cats and saw we got 2 good wins in a row and look to be getting healthy (coincidence?). come to the boards to see this garbage? cmon GP (and burnside). this team is more than fine if they can just stay healthy.

regarding the bolded part above, isnt that the way it always is? that's how it was last year.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 01:52 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDoggFL View Post
Not to mention that his system makes them tired by the third, and those losses further demoralize the team.
He works them hard in practices, he's building up their stamina. I think that's taking somewhat of a toll right now, but by season's end they should be acclimated(sp).

Old
11-13-2008, 01:55 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post

I'm also thinking I should get onboard with GP's idea that the team needs a hockey-minded President and Cohen should step down. This would actually preclude the need for keeping Martin, since the President could provide the stability by vetoing stupid ego-driven moves by any new GM (i.e. dismantling the entire prospect pool like Keenan did) but also being smart enough to let the GM make the moves that need to be made (i.e. trading JBo now).
Welcome to the Dark Side!!!

Old
11-13-2008, 02:01 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Three important points:

1. Burnside is an idiot.

2. Burke will not come to Florida.

3. Burnside is an idiot.

That is all.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Rattrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Three important points:

1. Burnside is an idiot.

2. Burke will not come to Florida.

3. Burnside is an idiot.

That is all.
4. Burnside is an idiot.

Old
11-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
greetings from marakkech. just wanted to check in on the cats and saw we got 2 good wins in a row and look to be getting healthy (coincidence?). come to the boards to see this garbage? cmon GP (and burnside). this team is more than fine if they can just stay healthy.

regarding the bolded part above, isnt that the way it always is? that's how it was last year.
Marakkech? Where's that? What're you doing there?

I think it's a lot more than "this team sucks," etc. There's a lot to this team's psyche, it's fragile. They're riding high right now.

yeah, that does seem to be how it always is.

Old
11-13-2008, 02:18 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Welcome to the Dark Side!!!
Not quite - the Dark Side would be raging against Martin and praising Keenan. I'll never join you there...never I'd rather have my hand cut off by a beam of light that's mysteriously just four feet long and then get it replaced by a really cool robotic replacement that's just like the real thing.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 02:36 PM
Madhatter73

Stay
the
Course

Madhatter73 is offline   Reply With Quote