HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Ryan McDonaugh

Old
11-17-2008, 05:58 PM
johnnyboo

vCash: 500
Ryan McDonaugh

Up to date scouting report by Mckeen's..very intriguing

Ryan McDonaugh:

(Mtl), D, Wisconsin Badgers
Robust two-way defenseman .. commanding all-access skater that is strong on his edges with sharp acceleration .. has become more productive this season because he's anticipating the play incisively and is asserting himself more offensively with the puck .. has underrated hand skill and a quick shot that he is beginning to get on net with more frequency, as he's already surpassed his career high with four goals on the year .. his on-ice vision and creativity with the puck are mediocre, although he makes calculated decisions and doesn't rush into many mistakes .. suffocating one-on-one defender that is a pillar of strength on the backend and is one of the most physically imposing defenders in college hockey .. lacks prototypical height but it doesn't matter because he boasts tremendous strength and has a mean streak .. his influential backwards and lateral mobility allows him to maintain tight gaps before angling off his man to the wall .. fiercely covers his net and clears his crease area with conviction .. a safe bet to play in the NHL sooner rather than later

johnnyboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 06:28 PM
le_sean

Thanks for that scouting report. I hope the Habs pick another mean defenceman in this year's draft. Having Price in net and tough imposing dmen in front of him is going to make opponents cry like babies.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 06:29 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboo View Post
Up to date scouting report by Mckeen's..very intriguing

Ryan McDonaugh:

(Mtl), D, Wisconsin Badgers
Robust two-way defenseman .. commanding all-access skater that is strong on his edges with sharp acceleration .. has become more productive this season because he's anticipating the play incisively and is asserting himself more offensively with the puck .. has underrated hand skill and a quick shot that he is beginning to get on net with more frequency, as he's already surpassed his career high with four goals on the year .. his on-ice vision and creativity with the puck are mediocre, although he makes calculated decisions and doesn't rush into many mistakes .. suffocating one-on-one defender that is a pillar of strength on the backend and is one of the most physically imposing defenders in college hockey .. lacks prototypical height but it doesn't matter because he boasts tremendous strength and has a mean streak .. his influential backwards and lateral mobility allows him to maintain tight gaps before angling off his man to the wall .. fiercely covers his net and clears his crease area with conviction .. a safe bet to play in the NHL sooner rather than later
I don't like having his vision called mediocre

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 06:32 PM
Erika

I see him as a Poor's men Roman Hamrlik. Eric Brewer is also a good comparison IMO.

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 06:37 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
I don't like having his vision called mediocre
I don't think it matters with guys like Subban and Weber being drafted as the creative players from the backend.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 06:48 PM
BulldogFever

I love all the D prospects and McDonagh looks like a slam dunk top pairing d-man. Has anybody seen Stesjkal play? He's already got six goals and he playing lights out for the Big Green - the top ranked team in their division.

BulldogFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 06:50 PM
znk

I heard the other day on the radio somewhere that he was having a really bad season and that his coach was concerned.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 07:02 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
I heard the other day on the radio somewhere that he was having a really bad season and that his coach was concerned.
It was one game that Mathias Brunet took wayyyy too seriously

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
I see him as a Poor's men Roman Hamrlik. Eric Brewer is also a good comparison IMO.

When we drafted McD, Trevor Timmins compared him to Ryan Suter from the Predators.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 07:07 PM
znk

Quote:
Didnt they quote his coach? I think It was on the team 990.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 07:17 PM
Kosti46

Thanks for the great report on Mac.

Ah one can dream of the day he suits up in a habs uniform and plays some STRONG D for us.

Kosti46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 07:23 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Wow, that's a downer. I thought McKeen's "mediocre creativity" was bad enough.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 07:28 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
I took that game seriously as well...I was not expecting to see that kind of performance from a high pick like him who was supposed to be one of the steal of the 1st round.

Having said that, here's the article from Brunet who did indeed talked to his coach who was indeed concerned....

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...n-mcdonagh.php

I'm stunned by the on-ice vision and creativity report...not that I agree or not but that's definately not what we thought we had drafted at the time.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 07:29 PM
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Vinceee
holly crap at Joe Stejskal's stats!

Vinceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 07:43 PM
rocketlives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I took that game seriously as well...I was not expecting to see that kind of performance from a high pick like him who was supposed to be one of the steal of the 1st round.

Having said that, here's the article from Brunet who did indeed talked to his coach who was indeed concerned....

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...n-mcdonagh.php

I'm stunned by the on-ice vision and creativity report...not that I agree or not but that's definately not what we thought we had drafted at the time.

These college kids take years to pan out. Look at Komisarek and O'Byrne; even today they lack vision and creativity.

rocketlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 08:10 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives View Post
These college kids take years to pan out. Look at Komisarek and O'Byrne; even today they lack vision and creativity.
Panning out is one thing. Developing vision and creativity is another. Seems to me that this report is too negative. I think that we can't have it both ways. Most people were so proud to say that as a freshman, he was doing what just a few guys were doing which is being on the top pairing of an already strong squad. Was playing in all situations and so on.....So now as a sophomore, the normal expectations was to see his racking the points, which he does but not at the expense as suddenly becoming way less reliable, a turnover machine, not a lot of PP time and NOT on the 1st pairing anymore. Things could and should turn around for him. But even in a developement learning curve, to not say that it's somewhat surprising to see him struggle like that would be lying.

But then NOBODY is pressing on the panic button here...Like I keep saying, and I'm not disrespecting the CHL, chances are either Fish and McDo would be playing in that league and they'll be close to all-stars....(I'M exagerating but you see the point...)

As far as the Komi and O'B comparison, despite Komi's last season in Michigan, both guys were not suppose to become an anchor on the PP and great 2-way d-men. Something McDonagh was and still is suppose to become.

Old
11-17-2008, 08:35 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Panning out is one thing. Developing vision and creativity is another. Seems to me that this report is too negative. I think that we can't have it both ways. Most people were so proud to say that as a freshman, he was doing what just a few guys were doing which is being on the top pairing of an already strong squad. Was playing in all situations and so on.....So now as a sophomore, the normal expectations was to see his racking the points, which he does but not at the expense as suddenly becoming way less reliable, a turnover machine, not a lot of PP time and NOT on the 1st pairing anymore. Things could and should turn around for him. But even in a developement learning curve, to not say that it's somewhat surprising to see him struggle like that would be lying.

But then NOBODY is pressing on the panic button here...Like I keep saying, and I'm not disrespecting the CHL, chances are either Fish and McDo would be playing in that league and they'll be close to all-stars....(I'M exagerating but you see the point...)

As far as the Komi and O'B comparison, despite Komi's last season in Michigan, both guys were not suppose to become an anchor on the PP and great 2-way d-men. Something McDonagh was and still is suppose to become.
Keep in mind that two hockey teams in the world have 5 defencemen who were drafted in the first two rounds. They are the Florida Panthers and the Wisconsin Badgers. Eaves has some juggling to do to get all his NHL prospect Dmen significant ice-time.

McD might be on the PP on a lot of NCAA teams (including Fischer's Gophers). I think the WJC will be a telling tale of how McD ranks against his peers (assuming he makes Team USA).

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 09:11 PM
Roulin

The way I see things, if McDonagh was going to be a PP QB and offensive catalyst in the big leagues, he would be one already in Wisconsin. The fact that Brendan Smith, a fellow '07 draftee, grabbed that role before McDonagh, says a lot about McDonagh's "creativity and vision," IMO. That doesn't mean McDonagh can't be extremely valuable as a Chris Phillips type, it doesn't mean he can't move the puck intelligently. Just means he probably won't be our guy on the PP. That's fine - Subban, Weber and Carle are being groomed for that role.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 09:12 PM
mariolemieux66

Send a message via Skype™ to mariolemieux66
Quote:
I heard the same thing on CKAC ( french radio)
He started the season really strong but has struggle as of lately.
His coach was saying that McDonagh was trying to do to much, wich is not such a bad thing, it shows that the guy really wants to win and as some drive.

mariolemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 09:25 PM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
The way I see things, if McDonagh was going to be a PP QB and offensive catalyst in the big leagues, he would be one already in Wisconsin. The fact that Brendan Smith, a fellow '07 draftee, grabbed that role before McDonagh, says a lot about McDonagh's "creativity and vision," IMO. That doesn't mean McDonagh can't be extremely valuable as a Chris Phillips type, it doesn't mean he can't move the puck intelligently. Just means he probably won't be our guy on the PP. That's fine - Subban, Weber and Carle are being groomed for that role.
I'd just like to throw in that whenever I played against Brendan Smith in high school hockey he was always a forward. In fact I always assumed he was a forward and was surprised when I checked Wisconsin's stats and he was listed as a D. So that could be why their coaches think he has more offensive potential than McDonagh (which I would agree with)

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 10:42 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Keep in mind that two hockey teams in the world have 5 defencemen who were drafted in the first two rounds. They are the Florida Panthers and the Wisconsin Badgers. Eaves has some juggling to do to get all his NHL prospect Dmen significant ice-time.

McD might be on the PP on a lot of NCAA teams (including Fischer's Gophers). I think the WJC will be a telling tale of how McD ranks against his peers (assuming he makes Team USA).
I know. Still as a freshman, they had 4 drafted d-men in there in 2007-2008.

Old
11-17-2008, 10:46 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Montreal said it once and it's pretty interesting. You watch McDo and you end up thiking that everything he does is fine. But nothing is great. I like to watch Brendan Smith play. I remember hearing at the draft that he has the potential of being a steal and I wouldn't be surprised. But the other guy who struck and who definately has the potential to be the quarterback that we thought or still think McDo could be is freshman Gardiner. I remember that I didn't know who I liked more at last year's draft between Carlson and Gardiner to end up finishing to think that Carlson would be a more complete d-man. But Gardiner's skating is fluid as it can be and he has a great offensive flair. So chances are Gardiner the freshman will be ahead of McDo when it comes to who should run a PP.

Old
11-17-2008, 11:02 PM
Carboneer

Saw a game on NHL network about 3 weeks ago against North Dakota... logged almost no minutes and his play was far from impressive.

Carboneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 11:14 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carboneer View Post
Saw a game on NHL network about 3 weeks ago against North Dakota... logged almost no minutes and his play was far from impressive.
Don't worry....we saw all the same game and we're panicking since then....

Seriously, from what I read and heard, seems that he chose that game to be at his worst. Doesn't seem to be as bad as he was in the following games.

Old
11-18-2008, 01:30 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
I expected him to be of the hamrlik mold, this report does not make me lose any confidence in that.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote