HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mathias Brunet: A new David Fischer

Old
11-15-2008, 11:02 AM
Le depisteur

vCash: 500
Mathias Brunet: A new David Fischer

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...id-fischer.php

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 11:07 AM
Bill McNeal

Good article.

He's kind of viewed as the red-headed stepchild of Habs prospects by many fans, so hopefully he can prove them wrong.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 11:10 AM
Iwishihadacup

I love this prospect!

good thing he bloomed

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 11:11 AM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Can anyone kindly translate the good parts?

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 11:20 AM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Can anyone kindly translate the good parts?
Highlights:

- Fischer had two very ordinary seasons to start off with the Gophers.
- He started this season with 7 pts in his first 7 games, all the while being a +8, the highest on his team.
- Don Lucia, Gophers coach, says he's one of the main reasons for the team's success (5-0-2) and he uses him in every situation.
- Coach said they may have put too much pressure on him last year but they had to with the departures of Johnson and Goligoski.
- Both former coach and current coach compare him to Paul Martin of the Devils, in that they both use their stick more than their body. Differences being Fischer is bigger and Paul Martin moved the puck better at this stage of his career, but Fischer has a better vision.
- He's making passes faster as opposed to holding onto the puck too long as he used to.
- Lucia feels he may not be ready for the NHL in the immediate future, and may not reach his physical maturity until he's 25, but he will one day be an NHLer and probably way 220 lbs by then.
- Timmins is very pleased with his development, and the decision of one more year in Uni or the AHL next year hasn't been made.

Last edited by Bill McNeal: 11-15-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old
11-15-2008, 11:28 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Timmins. Too much of a good thing.

Hopefully Fletcher is still around when Gainey has to move one of our D prospects...

Seriously though, great to hear about Fischer. Some people never learn to be patient with prospects.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 11:33 AM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
- Lucia feels he may not be ready for the NHL until he's 25, but he will one day be an NHLer and probably way 220 lbs by then..
I took this as he was saying Fisher will hit his prime or full potential at 25, not necessarily that he "wouldn't make the nhl until he's 25."

HankyZetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 11:37 AM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi2teD View Post
I took this as he was saying Fisher will hit his prime or full potential at 25, not necessarily that he "wouldn't make the nhl until he's 25."
Sorry, you're right. I misread that.

Old
11-15-2008, 11:42 AM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
This guy reminds me alot like Hainsey. Tall, lanky, offense first yet struggling at it, soft, uses the stick more, and alot of people will think he's a bust for a very long time. Wasn't Hainsey also 25 when he nailed down an NHL job?

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 11:45 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I actually think that's a good time frame for him making the NHL full time. He'll turn 21 in a couple months, so if he returns for senior year, he'd turn pro at 22 and I would think he'd need a good year or two at least to get his feet wet. In his 3rd pro year he'll be 24 and turning 25 mid season.

I saw how Timmins said that he will have to see if Fischer is ready to turn pro in March. With Subban and Paquet looking to be in Hamilton next year, and there's Carle and Weber already there, that's 4 RD's. Granted if one of them moves up the NHL, or if Paquet is sent to the ECHL, it might be crowded. If he's really ready, which he might be, then turning pro this summer would be cool to see but could leave Hamilton crowded at RD.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 12:39 PM
Belso

It's about flipping time he does something. I hope to eat crow one day, but I don't have much faith in Fischer. I hope as a Habs fan that he proves me wrong...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 12:50 PM
Ra
satan is my homie

Quote:
He said he think David wont hit his physical maturity before 25. In comparison, someone like Pacioretty or Latendresse are probably already near it.

Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 01:17 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Most of us knew he'd be a long term project, it was stated basically at the point of the draft.

It's kind of good though, he's going to be NHL ready at 25.. we'll have his rights for the majority of his prime. It sucks waiting so long for a prospect, but when you ave as many good d prospects as we do, we can afford to wait.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 01:54 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Most of us knew he'd be a long term project, it was stated basically at the point of the draft.

It's kind of good though, he's going to be NHL ready at 25.. we'll have his rights for the majority of his prime. It sucks waiting so long for a prospect, but when you ave as many good d prospects as we do, we can afford to wait.
I think it's good to have guys in the system that take a while to get there, when you already have a good team and a good farm system. This way he's learns along the way and if things go well, you have another asset down the road. With a mix of CHL and NCAA prospects, you get some guys into the farm quickly, then you have some NCAA guys to fill in here and there as well over the course of several years as some will leave early while others stay all 4, or even 5 for the high school picks. Add in your Euro prospect here and there and if your picks on average are good, you should have a good nhl team, a solid minor league system that brings in new players from time to time and has the ability to fill in the gaps when injuries hit, with additional interesting players on the horizon for the following season for both the NHL and AHL clubs.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 03:57 PM
CanadienErrant*

Another 3-4 years to wait before seeing this guy in the NHL.

Claude Giroux is already doing fine in the NHL and is probably the next Phantom's guy to be called up by the Flyers.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post

Claude Giroux is already doing fine in the NHL and is probably the next Phantom's guy to be called up by the Flyers.
While Giroux is in the AHL Lucic is scoring goals in the NHL!

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 04:18 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
While Giroux is in the AHL Lucic is scoring goals in the NHL!
And what is your point ? The Habs drafted Maxwell just ahead of Lucic. Another mistake.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 04:27 PM
Seifer

Quote:
And what is your point ? The Habs drafted Maxwell just ahead of Lucic. Another mistake.
So you really never learn, do you?

Just chek the thread in wich you're posting, proving that some gave up to early on Fischer. By the way, Maxwell is doing really fine in the AHL as a rookie

Seifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 04:30 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

How is Giroux already doing fine in the NHL without being in it?

Again....it's never about who reaches the league first but who will end up help his team more. Gilbert Brûlé played 1 year early than some other great prospects....and I'm pretty sure he's not the best player out there....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 04:32 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
How do you know? Is Maxwell a bust already?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 04:40 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:

D'Agostini is doing a lot more than Giroux is down in the AHL and he still hasn't got a call up this year yet, so who cares how long we have to wait for Fischer. Also i'm pretty sure the biggest weakness on the team right now is having too many "soft" forwards in our top 9 so I don't see how Giroux helps.

Quote:
Lucic scored 9 goals in the WHL the year he was drafted while Maxwell had the potential to go in the first round. Also, when you look at our weaknesses in our prospect pool we are lacking offensive centerman which makes Maxwell a very important prospect for us and there is no reason to call that pick a mistake.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 04:43 PM
Erika

Good to hear that Fischer is doing great. I didn't agree with the pick at that time, but it's easier to swallow because he is a defencemen with good long term potential and that's fine with me... Not like some career AHLer/4th liner... Hope he turn out to be Ron Hainsey version 2.0... Another one of the Ex-Habs that I loved and still does.

Last edited by Erika: 11-15-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 06:01 PM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
This guy reminds me alot like Hainsey. Tall, lanky, offense first yet struggling at it, soft, uses the stick more, and alot of people will think he's a bust for a very long time. Wasn't Hainsey also 25 when he nailed down an NHL job?
On the ice, his game and physical stature is very reminiscent of Hainsey's. However, lucky for us he is grooming his game and growing a bigger body in the collegial ranks instead of the AHL where Hainsey used up his waiver recall status before he truly "emerged" as an NHL player.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Lone Rogue

It's sometimes tough to be patient, like others have said, but we'll actually have a future 5 years from now. What other teams can say that with confidence? We can continue to rebuild from our ranks and don't feel as though we're crippled because a generation of draft picks left (Ribiero, Ryder, Hainsey, Beauchemin, Vokoun).

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 06:22 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I don't give two ***** about Claude Giroux.

You guys talk about us having too many skill players with no pride, why would we want Giroux? He's the exact description of that, except he's rarely physical in anyway. Good first period player, but that's about it. Never was a big fan of him in the Q.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote