HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Good, The Bad and the W T F

Old
11-14-2008, 09:34 PM
whiplash

vCash: 500
The Good, The Bad and the W T F

The Good:
... Miller didn't let in any goals?

The Bad: Almost Everything

The W T F:
Everything else.

I only got to see 2/3 of the game but my god. We couldn't capitalize on anything, couldn't stop anything, most of our shots were useless potshots from the outside... Just a mediocre showing overall, thrown in with some really bad breaks and a very disappointing game.

I blame my friend John in Florida. Every time he watches... EVERY TIME

whiplash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 09:42 PM
jflory81
Garbo is coming

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
The Good:
... Miller didn't let in any goals?

The Bad: Almost Everything

The W T F:
Everything else.

I only got to see 2/3 of the game but my god. We couldn't capitalize on anything, couldn't stop anything, most of our shots were useless potshots from the outside... Just a mediocre showing overall, thrown in with some really bad breaks and a very disappointing game.

I blame my friend John in Florida. Every time he watches... EVERY TIME
Break his TV

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 09:55 PM
Sabres4theCup

G: Ryan Miller coming in for the second I guess.
Pominville's shot.

B: Lalime.
Not playing with any heart.
Our defense.

U: Lalime needs to be better

Sabres4theCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 09:58 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres4theCup View Post
G: Ryan Miller coming in for the second I guess.
Pominville's shot.

B: Lalime.
Not playing with any heart.
Our defense.

U: Lalime needs to be better:shakehead

You've got to be joking. He was at fault for the 4th goal, thats it.

As Ruff said in his post game presser (paraphrasing). You're counting on miracles from your goalie when you play like that defensively

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 10:04 PM
Sabres4theCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
You've got to be joking. He was at fault for the 4th goal, thats it.

As Ruff said in his post game presser (paraphrasing). You're counting on miracles from your goalie when you play like that defensively
I'm sorry if I expect Lalime to be better, I'm not faulting him for all the goals, but he did give up 6.

Old
11-14-2008, 10:05 PM
SpachoMan

Send a message via AIM to SpachoMan
Lalime belongs in the bad for sure, but the team in front of him deserves a spot in the ugly.

SpachoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 10:18 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Wow. Glad I missed it.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Sabres4theCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpachoMan View Post
Lalime belongs in the bad for sure, but the team in front of him deserves a spot in the ugly.
yeap.

Old
11-14-2008, 10:31 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres4theCup View Post
I'm sorry if I expect Lalime to be better, I'm not faulting him for all the goals, but he did give up 6.
If you can't understand the context and want this to be as simplistic as 'but he let in 6' then I don't know what to tell you. But I feel comfortable having my opinion seconded by the head coach.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 11:11 PM
Vito_81

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpachoMan View Post
That sums it up nicely.

17 saves on 23 shots isn't good in any game at any time. But when you're hung out to dry for most of them, what can you do. Lalime's lost his last two starts and has allowed 11 goals in the two games, but I'm still much more comfortable with him in there opposed to Thibault.

Miller should get the next few games (PIT tomorrow,BOS and PHI next week) but I expect to see Patty back in their next Saturday at home against NYI, hopefully a game that he can pick up the W in after playing 60 solid minutes.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 11:16 PM
Sabres4theCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
If you can't understand the context and want this to be as simplistic as 'but he let in 6' then I don't know what to tell you. But I feel comfortable having my opinion seconded by the head coach.
Yes, Lalime was hung out to dry some of the time, but we need to count on him to make the BIG saves when we need him too. I have my own views on how Lalime played tonight, and IMO yes, he did let in some softies.

Old
11-15-2008, 12:06 AM
sabresfan129103
So it begins...

I'm sorry this game is not on Lalime. not only did the guy have no chance on a bunch of those goals, but the guy has not seen any action in 3 WEEKS. This is all on Ruff. I'm sorry Lindy the days of hasek are long behind us. you cannot ride your starting goaltender (miller) for 70 + games. He needs to learn how to use his backup. that game in Boston last week would have been perfect.

the defense was brutal, especially spacek, who i thought was downright awful tonight.

props to Columbus though. they came into our house and took it to us. they got a great young team. that brassard is gonna be a hell of a player.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 12:58 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Again, many of you continue to be too lenient with the goalkeeping. YES, the defense was at fault as well. But Lalime was just as much accountable for some of these goals that people aren't pointing out.

Goal #1 - Spacek poor decision, Sekera poor slide. But one of the big things in the "goaltending rulebook" is to NEVER LET PASSES GO THRU YOUR BLUE PAINT. You paddle them ***** out of there. That's your area, inexcusable.

3rd goal was a wash. Arguable.

4th goal was poor communication, but if I'm a defenseman, and my goalie puts the puck on his stick side right next to his pad, and THEN goes to kick it, I don't know if I go try to play with it. I'm thinking my goalie wants to do something.

6th goal went thru the top of the paint, but that one was excusable. That wasn't right through him.

Point is, he didn't play well. Despite what Ruff says to the media, you have to think that there are some hesitations regarding LOLime. I just hope we don't see another version of last year.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 01:01 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Lalime definitely was not good but I'd have trouble putting him in the bad as well. The only goal he had a chance on is the 4th. Sure he let in 6 goals, but if you can't blame him on 5 of them, how can you say he was bad?

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 01:04 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
Lalime definitely was not good but I'd have trouble putting him in the bad as well. The only goal he had a chance on is the 4th. Sure he let in 6 goals, but if you can't blame him on 5 of them, how can you say he was bad?
He made 17 saves on 23 shots

Old
11-15-2008, 01:04 AM
jflory81
Garbo is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Again, many of you continue to be too lenient with the goalkeeping. YES, the defense was at fault as well. But Lalime was just as much accountable for some of these goals that people aren't pointing out.

Goal #1 - Spacek poor decision, Sekera poor slide. But one of the big things in the "goaltending rulebook" is to NEVER LET PASSES GO THRU YOUR BLUE PAINT. You paddle them ***** out of there. That's your area, inexcusable.

3rd goal was a wash. Arguable.

4th goal was poor communication, but if I'm a defenseman, and my goalie puts the puck on his stick side right next to his pad, and THEN goes to kick it, I don't know if I go try to play with it. I'm thinking my goalie wants to do something.

6th goal went thru the top of the paint, but that one was excusable. That wasn't right through him.

Point is, he didn't play well. Despite what Ruff says to the media, you have to think that there are some hesitations regarding LOLime. I just hope we don't see another version of last year.
I didn't see the 5th and 6th goal (and it was over by then anyway).....and I blamed Lalime for the 4th one. But the 1st? You've gotta be kidding me. With a defenseman sliding near the top of your crease, and you having to cover the shot, there is NO WAY he could have defended that pass. It's a joke that you're even mentioning it.

Old
11-15-2008, 01:05 AM
jflory81
Garbo is coming

Quote:
He made 17 saves on 23 shots
Meaningless stats.

Old
11-15-2008, 01:09 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
I didn't see the 5th and 6th goal (and it was over by then anyway).....and I blamed Lalime for the 4th one. But the 1st? You've gotta be kidding me. With a defenseman sliding near the top of your crease, and you having to cover the shot, there is NO WAY he could have defended that pass. It's a joke that you're even mentioning it.
http://gamecenter.nhl.com/nhlgc/cons...?id=2008020237

Watch how he played it. Not well. And again... pass went right thru the corner of his crease... paddle down, sneak your knee a bit forward if you can... and that's only if you're playing it as he did. He was hugging the post with Boll right below the dot... he didn't square off to the shooter. It's technicalities. He started to hug way too early.

Sekera didn't slide well, Spacek made a poor decision. Lalime didn't play it well enough, results = goal.

Old
11-15-2008, 01:14 AM
jflory81
Garbo is coming

Quote:
http://gamecenter.nhl.com/nhlgc/cons...?id=2008020237

Watch how he played it. Not well. And again... pass went right thru the corner of his crease... paddle down, sneak your knee a bit forward if you can... and that's only if you're playing it as he did. He was hugging the post with Boll right below the dot... he didn't square off to the shooter. It's technicalities. He started to hug way too early.

Sekera didn't slide well, Spacek made a poor decision. Lalime didn't play it well enough, results = goal.
It's a 3 on 1. You cannot even start to sneak your knee forward, because not only is there no guarentee of the pass going through the crease, chances are it's NOT going to.....and doing so leaves a wide open net for the trailer.

I put 0.0% blame on the goaltender for that goal...and about 85% of it on Spacek for the horrendously stupid decision to go for the hit. The other 15% can go to Roy. Like Lalime, Sekera was stuck in an impossible position.

Old
11-15-2008, 01:22 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
It's a 3 on 1. You cannot even start to sneak your knee forward, because not only is there no guarentee of the pass going through the crease, chances are it's NOT going to.....and doing so leaves a wide open net for the trailer.

I put 0.0% blame on the goaltender for that goal...and about 85% of it on Spacek for the horrendously stupid decision to go for the hit. The other 15% can go to Roy. Like Lalime, Sekera was stuck in an impossible position.
You're already idiotically hugging the post too early, a little anticipation is not uncommon in the goaltending area. And what happens if Lalime goes down a bit early once Boll approaches the goalline? Boll holds the shot and takes a wide loop around the net? He would have had plenty of time to recover and get over. It's called "goaltending". Not waiting until a pass goes through your crease and painting a picture that only a miraculous save could have kept that puck out.

Is that a lot to ask? No, but that's why he's our backup.... he's not that good at the position at this level. But stop exonerating him on every goal completely. He didn't play well. I'm not blaming the game on him, and I'm very dissatisfied with the team defense.

Old
11-15-2008, 01:25 AM
jflory81
Garbo is coming

Quote:
You're already idiotically hugging the post too early, a little anticipation is not uncommon in the goaltending area. And what happens if Lalime goes down a bit early once Boll approaches the goalline? Boll holds the shot and takes a wide loop around the net? He would have had plenty of time to recover and get over. It's called "goaltending". Not waiting until a pass goes through your crease and painting a picture that only a miraculous save could have kept that puck out.

Is that a lot to ask? No, but that's why he's our backup.... he's not that good at the position at this level. But stop exonerating him on every goal completely. He didn't play well. I'm not blaming the game on him, and I'm very dissatisfied with the team defense.
I think you're completely wrong, but since I'm clearly not going to convince you (and since every Sabres goalie clearly must be perfect) I'm gonig to leave it at that.

Old
11-15-2008, 01:26 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
I think you're completely wrong, but since I'm clearly not going to convince you (and since every Sabres goalie clearly must be perfect) I'm gonig to leave it at that.
At least we've come to blows on this topic so many times that you know what my expectations truly are

Old
11-15-2008, 07:57 AM
jpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Wow. Glad I missed it.
It was 3-0 when I turned it on. I turned it off at 4-0.

jpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 07:57 AM
OpethianSabre20

The Good:
-I thought Connolly looked pretty good.
-Not getting shutout.

The Bad:
-Lalime on the 3rd and 4th goals; got beat by what looked like just a straight wrist shot to me on the 3rd and he misplayed the puck on the 4th one.

The Ugly:
-The team defense was an absolute joke, enough said. I just wish that Columbus had put up 10 goals to teach these guys a lesson and possibly get rid of that "hollier than thou" attitude that they play with; I don't understand how they can still think that they can just show up and walk over everyone after last year.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 08:04 AM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethianSabre20 View Post
The Good:
-I thought Connolly looked pretty good.
-Not getting shutout.

The Bad:
-Lalime on the 3rd and 4th goals; got beat by what looked like just a straight wrist shot to me on the 3rd and he misplayed the puck on the 4th one.

The Ugly:
-The team defense was an absolute joke, enough said. I just wish that Columbus had put up 10 goals to teach these guys a lesson and possibly get rid of that "hollier than thou" attitude that they play with; I don't understand how they can still think that they can just show up and walk over everyone after last year.
Especially when you consider the franchise's inability to beat Columbus. It seems that every year they get their collective arses handed to them by the Jackets.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote