HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#16 -- Flyers at Canadiens -- November 15, 2008 -- 7:00 PM (ET)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-16-2008, 03:58 AM
  #576
dbr2
Lockout Beard
 
dbr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinerary View Post
I just sent CW an e-mail.

http://cwphilly.com/contact
Sweet man, hopefully they will get back to you.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 04:05 AM
  #577
BerubeBox*
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,086
vCash: 500
Warning: Polish language. May cause damage to ears or brain.


BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 04:16 AM
  #578
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Somebody really should have went after Kovalev after that, Gagne's been one of our 3 best players this year.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 08:06 AM
  #579
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Somebody really should have went after Kovalev after that, Gagne's been one of our 3 best players this year.
I guess they were more interested in winning than some silly notion of revenge.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 08:15 AM
  #580
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
I guess they were more interested in winning than some silly notion of revenge.
Protecting your teammates is part of hockey. It's not about revenge, it's about sending a message that taking cheapshots on our star players isn't something that's going to be tolerated.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 08:29 AM
  #581
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Protecting your teammates is part of hockey. It's not about revenge, it's about sending a message that taking cheapshots on our star players isn't something that's going to be tolerated.
Detroit had the fewest PIM and majors in the league last year.

Taking penalties is not a part of winning hockey.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 08:42 AM
  #582
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Detroit had the fewest PIM and majors in the league last year.

Taking penalties is not a part of winning hockey.
Maybe the worst possible argument you could have come up with.

Why dearie me, who led the NHL in PIMs in 06-07? Wouldn't that be Anaheim? But FlyHigh, who led the NHL in major penalties in 06-07? Wouldn't that also be Anaheim?

Umm, how did Anaheim do that season? I can't remember, somebody remind me.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 08:49 AM
  #583
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Maybe the worst possible argument you could have come up with.

Why dearie me, who led the NHL in PIMs in 06-07? Wouldn't that be Anaheim? But FlyHigh, who led the NHL in major penalties in 06-07? Wouldn't that also be Anaheim?

Umm, how did Anaheim do that season? I can't remember, somebody remind me.
If we go back over time, do you really think taking penalties is conducive to success?

The Flyers responded the best possible way you can. Flyers got 2 points, Habs got 0. Go watch WWE if violence is more important than results to you.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 08:56 AM
  #584
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
If we go back over time, do you really think taking penalties is conducive to success?

The Flyers responded the best possible way you can. Flyers got 2 points, Habs got 0. Go watch WWE if violence is more important than results to you.
Yes, so the next time we play and somebody lays out Gagne for the season, I'm sure you'll still be hunky dory with that.

It's not about the violence, I'm not a huge fan of violence. But establishing boundaries is absolutely a part of the game. Guys like Cote, Gratton, Asham, whoever, need to make sure that guys like Gagne, Briere, and to a lesser extent Carter and Richards, are protected. That's the reason they're there. I'm not even saying anybody needs to fight Kovalev or even take a dumb penalty. But what I would have liked to see would be guys absolutely finishing their checks on him whenever he's around and if that meant taking an interference penalty or two, then so be it.


Last edited by FlyHigh: 11-16-2008 at 09:02 AM.
FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:06 AM
  #585
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Yes, so the next time we play and somebody lays out Gagne for the season, I'm sure you'll still be hunky dory with that.

It's not about the violence, I'm not a huge fan of violence. But establishing boundaries is absolutely a part of the game. Guys like Cote, Gratton, Asham, whoever, need to make sure that guys like Gagne, Briere, and to a lesser extent Carter and Richards, are protected. That's the reason they're there. I'm not even saying anybody needs to fight Kovalev or even take a dumb penalty. But what I would have liked to see would be guys absolutely finishing their checks on him whenever he's around and if that meant taking an interference penalty or two, then so be it.
You said 'someone should have gone after Kovalev.' Please don't act like you meant they should just finish a legal check.

Unless the NHL gets real and starts handing out 5+ game suspensions for hits to the head, you might as well accept that we are going to lose a player to concussion every season. Will it be Gagne this year, maybe. But 'going after' a player just continues the pattern of disrespect that is in the game right now.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:24 AM
  #586
danishh
Dat Stache
 
danishh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: mtl/ott/somewhere
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,654
vCash: 50
hey guys,

I was at the game last night, and just wanted to comment on a couple of things i saw:

Mike Richards was a beast. It seemed to me that whenever there was anything going on on the ice for either team, Richards was right there, either leading the attack, forchecking, or hasseling the habs defensively. Great game.

Andrew Alberts caused the 2nd (winning) goal. I followed him up the boards as he carried the puck out and made a great cross-ice pass to get an odd man rush going. He really impressed me with that play.

Biron was awarded 1st star, and he was good, but really he just had to be solid, as there weren't that many hard saves.

You guys just dominated the habs 1on1 in all aspects of the game. You would win every little battle for the puck, you wouldnt let them dump and chase but you would allways recover your dumps, etc. All around great game played by the flyers.

Habs fans are annoying. They booed everytime a habs player got touched and no penalty was called. There were a few times when habs players just got demolished with open ice hits trying to come into the flyers zone, and the crowd went crazy, when in reality it was just an awesome play by the flyers (the most memorable one was richards i believe).

anyways, the game was pretty boring to watch, but i thought i'd give you guys my opinion.

__________________
RIP Kev.
danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:30 AM
  #587
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
You said 'someone should have gone after Kovalev.' Please don't act like you meant they should just finish a legal check.

Unless the NHL gets real and starts handing out 5+ game suspensions for hits to the head, you might as well accept that we are going to lose a player to concussion every season. Will it be Gagne this year, maybe. But 'going after' a player just continues the pattern of disrespect that is in the game right now.
Yes, the phrase 'going after' is very strong language isn't it. And that's precisely what I meant. Kovalev should have been given a damn rough ride and checked all night.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:33 AM
  #588
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Yes, the phrase 'going after' is very strong language isn't it. And that's precisely what I meant. Kovalev should have been given a damn rough ride and checked all night.
If that's what you mean, there is no need to say anything. People should always be finishing their checks.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:38 AM
  #589
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,436
vCash: 5872
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Maybe the worst possible argument you could have come up with.

Why dearie me, who led the NHL in PIMs in 06-07? Wouldn't that be Anaheim? But FlyHigh, who led the NHL in major penalties in 06-07? Wouldn't that also be Anaheim?

Umm, how did Anaheim do that season? I can't remember, somebody remind me.
You're not wrong, but it's rather unconventional. Have to rack up the defense though, which the Ducks did. The Ducks were the team people said 'look you CAN win and take a ton of penalties'

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:45 AM
  #590
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
If that's what you mean, there is no need to say anything. People should always be finishing their checks.
I didn't see Kovy end up on his butt once.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:45 AM
  #591
shamski7
Registered User
 
shamski7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bucks County, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,147
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to shamski7
big win. biron stood on his head and he was great. halak was equally impressive if not more so. overall 5 points out of 6 on the 3 game roadtrip. i'll take that especially when 2 of those teams will likely finish 1 and 2 in the conference this year.

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 10:37 AM
  #592
JagerPuck
Registered User
 
JagerPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: the 215
Country: United States
Posts: 2,588
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Great game.
I watched most of the game, minus the last 8 minutes of the 3rd period.
Did anyone ever revenge that dirty hit on Gagne?

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 10:53 AM
  #593
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I didn't see Kovy end up on his butt once.
Gagne hit him back in the third. Wasn't huge or anything.

Ugly cheapshot though, no excuse for that.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 11:02 AM
  #594
Jules801
Just Some Broad
 
Jules801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Good Ol' Glassboro
Country: Israel
Posts: 6,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Protecting your teammates is part of hockey. It's not about revenge, it's about sending a message that taking cheapshots on our star players isn't something that's going to be tolerated.
Protecting your teammate also doesn't have to happen in the same game where the hit occurred. Sure, we all want that instant gratification, but it was a close game the whole time. It wasn't appropriate last night. If we took a penalty, they scored, and we miss the playoffs by 1 game, I don't think anyone will look back and say, "That's okay. We avenged Gagne".

I know that's extreme with a lot of what ifs, but my point is that the win is more important than the revenge...overall.

We meet them again. If the score gets lopsided on either way, I think you'll see Kovy's head on a swivel lookin' for the hit that's coming.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 11:14 AM
  #595
Cmoneyflyguy
Registered User
 
Cmoneyflyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wayne, Pa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,141
vCash: 500
how many shots did the flyers (carle) block last night.
That trade continues to look like a good one imo

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 11:18 AM
  #596
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 39,603
vCash: 1487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
how many shots did the flyers (carle) block last night.
That trade continues to look like a good one imo
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...9/ES020242.HTM

25 as a team: Coburn had five, Carle had 4, according to the box.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 11:19 AM
  #597
Cmoneyflyguy
Registered User
 
Cmoneyflyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wayne, Pa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...9/ES020242.HTM

25 as a team: Coburn had five, Carle had 4, according to the box.
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for!

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 11:27 AM
  #598
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Hot carle is looking good at the moment

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 12:53 PM
  #599
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,044
vCash: 500
Youtube the Richards hit!

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 12:53 PM
  #600
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
I can't find it on youtube

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.