HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#16 -- Flyers at Canadiens -- November 15, 2008 -- 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
11-16-2008, 01:54 PM
BerubeBox*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
Protecting your teammate also doesn't have to happen in the same game where the hit occurred. Sure, we all want that instant gratification, but it was a close game the whole time. It wasn't appropriate last night. If we took a penalty, they scored, and we miss the playoffs by 1 game, I don't think anyone will look back and say, "That's okay. We avenged Gagne".

I know that's extreme with a lot of what ifs, but my point is that the win is more important than the revenge...overall.

We meet them again. If the score gets lopsided on either way, I think you'll see Kovy's head on a swivel lookin' for the hit that's coming.
That's exactly what I made of it. We were desperate to get a win against a solid team. That was the only priority. And don't forget the refs seemed to have it out for us. It really would have been throwing the game away.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 02:27 PM
BerubeBox*

Richards hit

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 02:36 PM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
Richards hit
Solid hit, a shame the announcers were so 'blah'. He played a great game...

Mike Richard is Cannon.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 02:40 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
Richards hit
nice hit. and i really like those new habs jerseys. very classy and clean look.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 05:02 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
nice hit. and i really like those new habs jerseys. very classy and clean look.
they were a one time thing i believe (they have a bunch of special jerseys this year). They were pretty slick though.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 06:19 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Nice hit by Richards. I ****in' love that guy

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 10:00 AM
Jester

Follow Up:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Tim-P...s-Team/2/17917

Money Quote:

Quote:
I suggested to Gagne that if a Flyer had hit Saku Koivu with a head shot ... it would "THE" story in Oh Canada and splashed all over TSN, HNIC, etc. until justice was served.

To which Gagne replied, that had a Flyer done it, he'd be looking at "a 10-game suspension."
Could not agree more.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 10:08 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Follow Up:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Tim-P...s-Team/2/17917

Money Quote:

Could not agree more.
That's a comment for reporters to make, not players.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 10:12 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
That's a comment for reporters to make, not players.
Players are not allowed to have an opinion, or pay attention to what has happened over the last two years with suspensions...especially when it's their health on the line?

It's PLAYERS who should be commenting on the job that Campbell is doing. Until it's the players and not just local beat writers and fans calling Campbell's office on its BS the problem isn't going to get fixed.

Old
11-17-2008, 10:32 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Players are not allowed to have an opinion, or pay attention to what has happened over the last two years with suspensions...especially when it's their health on the line?

It's PLAYERS who should be commenting on the job that Campbell is doing. Until it's the players and not just local beat writers and fans calling Campbell's office on its BS the problem isn't going to get fixed.
The players got involved last year when Cote got suspended, so it's not like they aren't involved. The correct solution would be to fire Colin Campbell and put a former PA rep in charge of this (would also show a true partnership solidarity between the league and players).

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=255829&l...=topStory_main

Thomas Pock is a no name, who was made an example of, and he isn't complaining. In fact, Garth Snow didn't exactly whine and cry about it last year.

Jarkko Ruutu got suspended last week too, for three games, for something that last year, would have not gotten a suspension because Maxim Lapierre didn't try to play dead.

When the Flyers got made an example of, what did the Flyers do? Cry about it. Not after Downie or Boulerice or even Jones, but after Hartnell and Cote. They cried - and this after the NHLPA got involved. I spent a few years now trying to figure out what goes on in Colin Campbell's head, but I know I wouldn't want to give him a reason to be pissy at me, for all we know with him, it's the difference between no suspension and a 5-gamer. We all know the big heads at the NHL office hate it when they're talked about. Unfortunately, when you're the Flyers, for as dumb as they played last year, they lost all rights to whine and cry about it. That's not fair, but that's not how it is. That's not how I think (that not being fair about it is ok), I'm obviously all about being fair, aside form repeat troublemakers, all things considered, that's how I think Colin Campbell thinks. This is a guy who has admitted that he ignores the guidelines set forth to him.

I'm not into discussing how much discipline such a hit deserves, especially after last year (when I stopped trying to analyze it and just put a random number on it, I was closer so go figure), but for Gagne and Panaccio to come out and go out of their way to complain about how there is 'all talk, no action' is clearly off base after what's been going on the past 2 weeks.

Old
11-17-2008, 11:26 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 843
ASF's column:
Quote:

http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2...2707641747.txt

But he just wants to take it out on Kovalev, who he feels was headhunting with a hit late in the first period Saturday.

“When you go to make a hit like that usually you are going to take away the puck, but when you look at it, the puck is not even there,” Gagne said. “So, was he coming to take away the puck? I don’t think so. He was coming to hurt me. I have marks on my face so you can tell it was a hit to my head.”

The league reviewed the hit and chose not to fine or suspend Kovalev. Which aggravated Gagne even more.

“I don’t know if it’s because we’re the Flyers or what,” Gagne said. “If it was us who did the hit like that it would have been at least two minutes. We would have been suspended 10 games. We’re talking about getting rid of the blows to the head in this league. We have to do something about it.

“(Paul Holmgren) said we have to start talking about it. It’s not going to come from the league. It’s not going to come from the officials. It has to come from the players. So we have to start to do something. After what happened last night – I’m ready to be that guy.”

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 11:37 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
I hate Kovalev more then i already did.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 12:06 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
ASF's column:
It's terribly difficult to figure out what goes on with Campbell, which is the gist of any comment I have with hits to the head, and is why the Flyers should just be quiet about it. Like I said, with all the suspensions, regardless of whether or not they were proper punishment, as the team who got victimized the most by him last year, I wouldn't be leaving myself open to being made an example of by him, because Campbell will do it.

Old
11-17-2008, 12:09 PM
Jester

Quote:
The players got involved last year when Cote got suspended, so it's not like they aren't involved. The correct solution would be to fire Colin Campbell and put a former PA rep in charge of this (would also show a true partnership solidarity between the league and players).
And nothing like that is going to happen until there is a CLEAR and CONSISTENT critique of the job that Campbell is doing from within the league. Therefore, players like Gagne speaking up is exactly what needs to happen.

You really think they're going to come down hard on Gagne when there is video evidence of an illegal hit to his head?

Old
11-17-2008, 12:19 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
And nothing like that is going to happen until there is a CLEAR and CONSISTENT critique of the job that Campbell is doing from within the league. Therefore, players like Gagne speaking up is exactly what needs to happen.
Well I will say, he isn't the first. It's not like the players don't do it. I don't have all the research on all the other guys who have, but we all know there are others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
You really think they're going to come down hard on Gagne when there is video evidence of an illegal hit to his head?
Not Gagne, maybe the Flyers. Nothing in Gagne's history suggests that he would even be involved in such a hit, but since Colin Campbell has basically admitted that he just makes up the numbers, I wouldn't be looking to leave myself open to any interpretation. I know it sounds ridiculous, but just look at Colin Campbell's track record, ridiculous thoughts is the only way to come up with any conclusion to it. Remember last year when Paul Holmgren didn't like the suspension of Hartnell after the Alberts play but then Cote got a match penalty and suspended for 3 games -- a situation where the NHL was clearly looking to make an example out of the Flyers, as well as the NHLPA getting involved with the discipline, for something that most think wasn't as bad. All the players talking about is going to do is piss them off, not hold them to a higher standard. It's not like the hockey world hasn't been calling for Colin Campbell's job or at least a different standard.

Old
11-17-2008, 03:54 PM
flyersguy33*

Article by Timmy P. on the hit to Gagne. I don't know what has gotten into Timmy P. but it ain't that bad.

Quote:
imon Gagne says it’s time for players to take it upon themselves and do something about blatant, dangerous head shots.

Gagne was on the receiving end of an elbow to his head from Alexei Kovalev in Saturday’s 2-1 Flyers win at Montreal.

“Maybe I’ll be the guy because we have to do something,” Gagne said. “Talking to a lot of people here, talking to Homer [general manager Paul Holmgren] and the coaches, it has to come from the players. So, with what happened last night, I’m ready to be that guy.”

If Gagne is waiting for the National Hockey League to dispense some justice, forget it. Colin Campbell, the NHL’s Lord of Discipline, reviewed the play on Sunday and didn’t find any problem with it.

None of the officials on the ice felt it warranted a penalty in the first period.

Gagne is upset. Had that been a Flyer dispensing such an elbow to a player, “We’d be suspended 10 games,” Gagne said.
The entire article can be found here http://csnphilly.com/pages/landing_f...026&feedID=695

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 05:25 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Same thing Jester posted, I think.

Old
11-17-2008, 05:29 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
That's exactly what I'm talking about. It's about building trust in the locker room and etc which is why people should have been giving Kovy a very rough ride.

Now we have Gagne talking about having to go out and run around and protect himself which is the last thing any of us want right now.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 05:37 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
That's exactly what I'm talking about. It's about building trust in the locker room and etc which is why people should have been giving Kovy a very rough ride.

Now we have Gagne talking about having to go out and run around and protect himself which is the last thing any of us want right now.
Maybe they wrote down the number and deal with it later. Josh Gratton just got his ass-kicked by Laraque, they got them on the scoreboard, which is where it hurts the most, but to get Kovalev in a fight, you're bringing the instigator into play, or taking more penalties. The Flyers weren't in position to get in a penalty match, and they don't have a ton of fighters, and they're not feeling good after they played Boston. It could be that they will wait for another day.

Old
11-17-2008, 05:52 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Maybe they wrote down the number and deal with it later. Josh Gratton just got his ass-kicked by Laraque, they got them on the scoreboard, which is where it hurts the most, but to get Kovalev in a fight, you're bringing the instigator into play, or taking more penalties. The Flyers weren't in position to get in a penalty match, and they don't have a ton of fighters, and they're not feeling good after they played Boston. It could be that they will wait for another day.
I already talked about this, but to sum up in short, I'm not saying to fight Kovy, it's not like he would accept a challenge. But he should have been ridden all over the ice and if that meant an interference penalty or two, then so be it. But he should have ended up on his butt at least once and Gagne's teammates needed to send him the message they they were going to protect him.

That didn't happen.

And having a united locker room for the course of an entire season is more important than winning one game.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 06:37 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=256270&l...headlines_main

Well, the league has acknowledged they heard Gagne.

Old
11-17-2008, 07:13 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=256270&l...headlines_main

Well, the league has acknowledged they heard Gagne.
Sorry, but I call BS:

Quote:
"We cannot and will not tolerate blows to the head that are deliberate, avoidable and illegal.
followed by:
Quote:
The league reveiwed the Kovalev hit and will not be taking action
TSN wanted a story that would get fan response. Mission accomplished. The league will do sweet bugger all. Their response to the Gagne hit is exactly what most of us expected.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 07:14 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I said they heard him, not that they did what he wanted.

Old
11-17-2008, 07:16 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
I said they heard him, not that they did what he wanted.
Look at the timing.
1) The league issues a memo on Friday.
2) Gagne gets hit on Saturday.
3) The league responds on Sunday/Monday.

The PA has heard Gagne, and good for them. The league hasn't said squat since.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 07:18 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Oh, I read it wrong then. I thought this was a new memo after the fact.