HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

KHL Having Financial Issues - Future of our Russian Prospects??

Old
11-14-2008, 09:46 PM
OneSharpMarble

vCash: 500
KHL Having Financial Issues - Future of our Russian Prospects??

Just found this over on the leafs board. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...beSportsHockey

Larionov worries about future of KHL

Quote:
The Continental Hockey League, considered to be the greatest threat to NHL stability since the World Hockey Association, is undergoing growing pains in its inaugural season.

Clubs in the Russian league, commonly known by its Russian initials, KHL, have missed payroll and there's uncertainty about its smaller franchises. Worries are also mounting about the possible impact of the world economic crisis on its well-moneyed backers, many of them who rely on high world oil prices for their wealth.

"I should be, and I must be, and I will be honest with you — that is a big concern," Igor Larionov said yesterday before he was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in recognition of his distinguished 27-year career, mixed between international and NHL play.
Maybe we get Perezhogin, Emelin and Valentenko back next season?

Last edited by Beakermania*: 11-14-2008 at 11:42 PM.
OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 02:43 AM
Beakermania*

It'd be nice to get Trunev and Korneev over here too.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 03:51 AM
GNick42

The global recession may bring some good news to us along with the bad. Great news

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 08:08 AM
Phil Parent
HALL PASS BRAH!!

Well, well, well, that's a surprise.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 08:10 AM
Belso

Didn't Emelin almost not get paid last year??

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 09:46 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

vCash: 50
They should have started small, but they wanted to become big too fast.

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Why does this news conjure up this image in my head?

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 10:21 AM
Phil Parent
HALL PASS BRAH!!

It brings images of Gainey going all "Well, well, well; look who's crawling back!" at Perezhoghin.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
It brings images of Gainey going all "Well, well, well; look who's crawling back!" at Perezhoghin.
epic scene

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 10:33 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
Didn't Emelin almost not get paid last year??
That was 2 years ago when he was with Lada but yes he didn't get paid and was taking his team to court but they it got settled.

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 11:28 AM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
That was 2 years ago when he was with Lada but yes he didn't get paid and was taking his team to court but they it got settled.
Ah, yes, Lada.. I knew he got paid, but I remember that if he didn't then his contract would have been void and could have come to play in NA I remember thinking that it was too bad that they did pay him...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 11:31 AM
KT7

Is Perezhogin still MTL property, or would he be free to sign anywhere?

I thought that the Russian prospects had different rules...or did he sign an ELC?

KT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 11:36 AM
Pascal

I'm floored! I never thought the KHL would go under so fast. I thought that eventually the NHL would have to fold.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 11:40 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Really?..KHL in financial problems?..who would have ever foreseen that??

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 12:26 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
lmao, we'd be deadly with that influx of russian talent

Perezhogin, Emelin, Valentenko, Korneev and Trunev.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 01:12 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayzed1 View Post
Is Perezhogin still MTL property, or would he be free to sign anywhere?

I thought that the Russian prospects had different rules...or did he sign an ELC?
Yes Perezhogin is still a Hab, he can only sign with the Habs at this point if he were to come back next year.

Old
11-15-2008, 01:40 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
lmao, we'd be deadly with that influx of russian talent

Perezhogin, Emelin, Valentenko, Korneev and Trunev.
Our AHL team would be disgusting.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 01:53 PM
HCH

Before we gloat to much about the KHL, we should take a careful look at the NHL and the economy of North America.

George Gillett is having trouble getting financing for his soccer team, Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys are facing finaincial hurdles with their stadium construction and the list goes on. Big money sports have some challenges facing them.

In the NHL Nashville, Phoenix, Florida and Atlanta must be struggling. What about the next tier of franchises.

If this recession continues, coporate support will dwindle. It is almost laughable already. Stadiums are already named after bankrupt companies. I don't imagine those deals will be renewed at the same levels when contracts come up.

Then there's the crazy deal between the NHL and the NHLPA. The minimum salary floor is forcing teams to pay more than can afford.

JUst like with the real world economy, some of the excesses in the sports entertainment industry will have to be purged from the system. The NHL is probably in that group.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 02:35 PM
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?

Man, it'd be nice to get Perez Hilton back. *praying*

Charlie Milles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 02:53 PM
CanadienErrant*

They have problems, and some NHL teams will also (have already) serious financial problems.

The KHL will just shrink to lesser teams, as well as the NHL.

The best players - wherever they are playing - will keep their jobs.

The KHL will keep their Russia born players first and throw away the Foreign players first.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 05:37 PM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

Hahahahahah, They've always had problems with Payrolls! Just because they changed their League Names, did anyone think the finances would change too?

Bush League!

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 03:48 PM
RussianProspects

KHL is not really all that different from the Super League before it, just better organized and spread out to a few other countries (Belarus, Latvia, Kazakhstan). I'd say that some of the lesser clubs that have always had payroll issues will continue to have them and may change ownership or just fold and become High League clubs. The financial crisis will definitely have a big impact on the KHL, but the league will by no means fold or collapse. It's a good effort to make the league better organized and transparent. The salaries will likely just be less ridiculous then the are right now. As far as the guys you listed, I wouldn't be surprised to see them in Montreal, but I doubt that some of those guys (for better or worse) will be in the AHL for long. Look - if a guy can go back and make close to a million bucks, it's hard to convince to make him play for peanuts over here just for a chance to play in the NHL, if that chance is not legitimate. Look at Alexander Nikulin and Andrei Taratukhin - they worked very hard in the AHL and then got nothing for it besides "You are not in our plans" and "maybe" - I really liked how Nikulin handled it btw - he at least did not go back and looked for a second chance in the NHL, even if it meant working in the farm-team of another NHL club.

It is a problem with the NHL where the attitude is - we will develop you and hold you back until you fit our plans or it's convenient for us. This works well if there is no plan B - which now the Russian league provides and has provided for the past 3 years or so....it has actually improved significantly over the past few years and the whole Cherepanov fiasco is only making it stronger because it's forcing it to make the rules tighter. Similar stuff happened in the NHL with on-ice injuries where the rules of the game or equipment rules were tightened. I realize accidents on the ice and arena negligence are very different, but they both improved respective leagues.

RussianProspects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 03:56 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianProspects View Post
KHL is not really all that different from the Super League before it, just better organized and spread out to a few other countries (Belarus, Latvia, Kazakhstan). I'd say that some of the lesser clubs that have always had payroll issues will continue to have them and may change ownership or just fold and become High League clubs. The financial crisis will definitely have a big impact on the KHL, but the league will by no means fold or collapse. It's a good effort to make the league better organized and transparent. The salaries will likely just be less ridiculous then the are right now. As far as the guys you listed, I wouldn't be surprised to see them in Montreal, but I doubt that some of those guys (for better or worse) will be in the AHL for long. Look - if a guy can go back and make close to a million bucks, it's hard to convince to make him play for peanuts over here just for a chance to play in the NHL, if that chance is not legitimate. Look at Alexander Nikulin and Andrei Taratukhin - they worked very hard in the AHL and then got nothing for it besides "You are not in our plans" and "maybe" - I really liked how Nikulin handled it btw - he at least did not go back and looked for a second chance in the NHL, even if it meant working in the farm-team of another NHL club.

It is a problem with the NHL where the attitude is - we will develop you and hold you back until you fit our plans or it's convenient for us. This works well if there is no plan B - which now the Russian league provides and has provided for the past 3 years or so....it has actually improved significantly over the past few years and the whole Cherepanov fiasco is only making it stronger because it's forcing it to make the rules tighter. Similar stuff happened in the NHL with on-ice injuries where the rules of the game or equipment rules were tightened. I realize accidents on the ice and arena negligence are very different, but they both improved respective leagues.
Wondering whether or not you will get paid is a rather large incentive. When seat sales total a couple thousand and each ticket goes for like $5-$10 you gotta wonder maybe this league isn't so stable.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 04:33 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianProspects View Post
As far as the guys you listed, I wouldn't be surprised to see them in Montreal, but I doubt that some of those guys (for better or worse) will be in the AHL for long. Look - if a guy can go back and make close to a million bucks, it's hard to convince to make him play for peanuts over here just for a chance to play in the NHL, if that chance is not legitimate. Look at Alexander Nikulin and Andrei Taratukhin - they worked very hard in the AHL and then got nothing for it besides "You are not in our plans" and "maybe" - I really liked how Nikulin handled it btw - he at least did not go back and looked for a second chance in the NHL, even if it meant working in the farm-team of another NHL club.

It is a problem with the NHL where the attitude is - we will develop you and hold you back until you fit our plans or it's convenient for us. This works well if there is no plan B - which now the Russian league provides and has provided for the past 3 years or so.
With losing Perezhogin and Valentenko to the KHL, fans here know that it will be tough to keep some of the young Russians when they can make a lot more in the KHL. Valentenko went from making 3K a month to 30K, what a huge, huge difference in pay, don't see how the nhl can compete with that.

As for the NHL holding back Russian players, I can't speak for the rest of the NHL, but that hasn't been the case for the Habs, as Perezhogin needed time in the AHL to adjust to the more physical brand of hockey. Valentenko wasn't ready for the NHL yet imo, A.Kostitsyn needed a lot of time in the AHL to work on his defensive and overall game, so I think that at least the Habs do a good job with their Russian draft picks.

Old
11-16-2008, 04:44 PM
HockeyF3ind

I was saying this to a friend recently.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote