HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Powerplay Problems: Missing a shooter?

Old
11-15-2008, 09:14 PM
Namso

vCash: 500
Powerplay Problems: Missing a shooter?

So our powerplay this year is near the bottom of the league which can never be a good thing. I think we really miss a straight-up shooter like Souray/Streit in this area.

Now, if you look at the PP you see that the pk doesnt give the right point man that much respect and focuses more on Kovalev on the boards. This leads to Kovalev not being able to set up properly.

I wonder if calling up Weber would really make a difference? He is a shooter but I'm not sure if he is ready for the NHL yet. I feel like all our pointman Markov, Tanguay, S.Kost, Brisebois are all pass-oriented and that is hurting us.

THoughts?

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 09:15 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
We have one, but he's standing in front of the net and no one gets the puck to him.

A. Kost should not be in front of the net, reserve that for Higgins, Lats or even ****ing Laraque.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 09:19 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

I've been saying that for the past week now. We're ready to live with O'Byrne's mistakes, we should be ready to live with Weber's....though the reports from Hamilton is that he's OK defensively at the AHL Level....seems to me that O'Byrne would me more than just OK........But offensively, it could do the job. If Streit really would have been interested at the start of last year to sign for 2 or 2.5 but with the guarantee that he had to play only on defense.....that was a bad call by Gainey. He was not as awful as people said he was defensively with us. He had a good transition game and great on the PP. I was ready to live with him being outmuscled from time to time. And then if not for Streit, we had to be proactive in getting somebody else.

We'll see how Bob handles that from now on till the deadline.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 09:21 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I've been saying that for the past week now. We're ready to live with O'Byrne's mistakes, we should be ready to live with Weber's....though the reports from Hamilton is that he's OK defensively at the AHL Level....seems to me that O'Byrne would me more than just OK........But offensively, it could do the job. If Streit really would have been interested at the start of last year to sign for 2 or 2.5 but with the guarantee that he had to play only on defense.....that was a bad call by Gainey. He was not as awful as people said he was defensively with us. He had a good transition game and great on the PP. I was ready to live with him being outmuscled from time to time. And then if not for Streit, we had to be proactive in getting somebody else.

We could use Weber for the transition and the PP that's for sure.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 09:22 PM
Dripper

I agree, bring Weber. At least he'll bring something offensively.

Dripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I think puck retrieval is an issue. There's lots of talent but nobody really wants to do the dirty work when the puck get dumped in. Some PK teams dont allow you to gain the zone without the dump.

Also, it does appear that there are too many chefs in the kitchen.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
zx81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

Anyway Weber can`t do worse than O'byrne defensively and we need another good offensive D.

And Tanguay on the point does not work. Even his PPP were from down low.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 09:24 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I think puck retrieval is an issue. There's lots of talent but nobody really wants to do the dirty work when the puck get dumped in. Some PK teams dont allow you to gain the zone without the dump.

Also, it does appear that there are too many chefs in the kitchen.
Franzens are rare in this league. The only one that looks similar to him is not on the PP waves.

Old
m00ks

Shooter would be nice. Keep Markov on the left, Kovy on the right. I haven't seen the deadly pinch that made it so dangerous. Pass should come from the low player rather than Kovalev all the time.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
couz

Dany Dube gets regular reports from Hamilton and he says Carle is ahead of Weber because he's better in his own zone.

#1...Markov has to go back to his old spot at set up man.

couz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Franzens are rare in this league. The only one that looks similar to him is not on the PP waves.
Puck retrieval should not be difficult on a good PP. All I'm saying is that nobody wants to get the puck when it gets dumped in. You dont need a Johan Franzen to do that. You just need to pressure the D and not get outworked.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 09:32 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Puck retrieval should not be difficult on a good PP. All I'm saying is that nobody wants to get the puck when it gets dumped in. You dont need a Johan Franzen to do that. You just need to pressure the D and not get outworked.
I was just saying that Lats should be on the PP doing that if nobody else is willing to do it. But yes, this team needs dump and chase lessons.

Old
11-15-2008, 09:49 PM
Garnet

a. Kosts

Andrei played the point in Hamilton AK should be tried on point in montreal

Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 09:57 PM
couz

Tanguay has to play forward on the PP...he's too good around the net to be left on the point.

Old
11-15-2008, 10:01 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Some movement from the forwards is what's lacking to this year's PP... Last year the boys were literally flying inthe offensive zone... This year, they just seem to float out there most of the time. Minus maybe Latendresse, Higgins and Koivu.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 10:03 PM
couz

Markov isn't distributing the puck anymore, that's the problem.

#1 get Markov as setup man

#2 Get Tanguay on forward

#3 start auditioning trigger men (SKos,AKos,Hammer)

Old
11-15-2008, 10:08 PM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by couz View Post
Dany Dube gets regular reports from Hamilton and he says Carle is ahead of Weber because he's better in his own zone.

#1...Markov has to go back to his old spot at set up man.
Exactly Then Kovy and Markov can make those cross passes back and fourth to **** up the defensive/goalie positions open up some passing lanes and bam a goal occurs.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 10:19 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by couz View Post
I'd be interested in hearing that persons reasoning for such a statement. In my eyes, in terms of general play in their own zone, it's fairly close between the two with Weber just being a notch or so better when in close on the opponent. The kicker for me is that Weber makes less mistakes in/around his own zone. Carle had another tonight which led to a goal for the Amerks. Carle has more experience, but as far as I can see, he doesn't show it. Both are good going forward, Weber better when shooting, Carle better when passing, but it's the mistakes Carle makes with the puck that trouble me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet View Post
Andrei played the point in Hamilton AK should be tried on point in montreal
He was there at times in his first two years, not very often during his third year as I remember it. During his last year, he played the 'Kovalev' position on the right half boards with Grabovski down low on his side of the ice and it worked very well. I'd be interested in seeing what Andrei can do from the point with his shot in Montreal though, although I don't think he has what it takes to be Carbo's guy at the blueline just yet. I'd like to see him in that half-boards position at some point though. With the extra time and space the PP affords players, giving the puck to the guy with the hardest shot, two of the best hands on the team and a guy who can make great passes makes sense to me. Not sure we'll see it this year unless the PP faulters so much that Laraque gets front of the net duties.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 12:25 AM
ari1160

put back markov on the left, as the set up man not as a shooter.

ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 12:27 AM
Iwishihadacup

Lets cal up Carle, He deserves it a lot

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 12:29 AM
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Vinceee
i would do everything to bring back Mark Streit(won't happen), i guess we must give Yannick Weber a chance!

Vinceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 12:30 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinceee View Post
i would do everything to bring back Mark Streit(won't happen), i guess we must give Yannick Weber a chance!
Or Carle

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 12:54 AM

I'd like Carbo to try this as 1st PP unit:

S. Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev
Markov-A. Kostitsyn

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 12:56 AM
JGRB