HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Alexei Kovalev with a late elbow on Simon Gagne

Old
11-18-2008, 08:53 AM
Rushin Joo

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rushin Joo
Gagne's just mad cause he didn't expect to be nailed while admiring his pass by Kovalev of all people. Lesson learned.

Rushin Joo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 09:59 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisinpa View Post
Here is the video (should be processing right now). This was the Philadelphia feed. I had no idea this thread was going on or I wouldve got it up earlier. Sorry for the choppiness of the video.

THIS is what you guys were whining about? Doesn't come as a surprise, this is exactly how Primeau ended his career -skating with his head down right into the arm/shoulder of a Canadien. And you guys whined about that for years.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 10:01 AM
Ross MacLochness

Should've been kicked outta the league.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 10:05 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
Should've been kicked outta the league.
That's just the type of soft attitude that's ruining our sport. Kovalev had time to swerve & avoid Gagne.

Public caning at center ice ought to learn 'em.

Old
11-18-2008, 10:08 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
THIS is what you guys were whining about? Doesn't come as a surprise, this is exactly how Primeau ended his career -skating with his head down right into the arm/shoulder of a Canadien. And you guys whined about that for years.
i seem to recall primeau getting hit from behind, but i could be wrong. if i am in fact right, the two hits are not similar at all. another thing to remember is that primeau's career was effectively ended by a high-hit; that's going to rub any fan the wrong way.

the hit on gagne isn't suspension worthy because yes, it's relatively common. however, it is an elbow to the head, and should have been penalized appropriately.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 10:12 AM
Mue

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
i seem to recall primeau getting hit from behind, but i could be wrong. if i am in fact right, the two hits are not similar at all. another thing to remember is that primeau's career was effectively ended by a high-hit; that's going to rub any fan the wrong way.
The Perezhogin hit on Primeau was hardly even a hit. It was accidental contact, and not from behind. I'm trying to find the hit on youtube but with no luck, I'll post it if I find it.

If it happened the way I remember it though Perezhogin wasn't even looking for a hit on the play. I think even Cherry defended Perezhogin on it.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 10:17 AM
Skrudland

Flyers GM Holmgren agrees with the league.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...heap_shot.html

Quote:
But when it came to Kovalev's hit on Gagne, a late shoulder hit to the head, Holmgren agreed with the league's position that it was not the kind of hit they were referring to.

Holmgren said he didn't see the hit until Sunday night, when the Flyers played Atlanta at the Wachovia Center.

"I talked to Colin Campbell just because when I talked to [coach John Stevens] after the game, he told me that Simon was upset," Holmgren said. "So I called [Campbell], we talked and they looked at it, and in their opinion, it was not a bad hit.

"I think he said it was a little bit late, but it was one of those things," Holmgren said. "And because of the player - it's Kovalev, he's not that kind of player - and in this case, he doesn't have time to react one way or the other.

"It was not an elbow," Holmgren said. "I have a lot of trouble calling that a head shot."

Last edited by Skrudland: 11-18-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Skrudland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 10:24 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
The Perezhogin hit on Primeau was hardly even a hit. It was accidental contact, and not from behind. I'm trying to find the hit on youtube but with no luck, I'll post it if I find it.

If it happened the way I remember it though Perezhogin wasn't even looking for a hit on the play. I think even Cherry defended Perezhogin on it.
yeah, i've been looking for it too. that's why i'm unsure of the actual circumstances, haven't seen the actual hit.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 10:28 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
It wasn't even a hit, let alone a hit from behind. It was a collision. Neither player saw the other one coming. To be honest, Primeau must have already had a pre-existing injury that was aggravated by the collision, because it didn't seem that bad. You'd think Perezhogin should have got the worst out of a collision with a much larger player.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 10:33 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrudland View Post
Flyers GM Holmgren agrees with the league.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...heap_shot.html
Heh, I dunno about Kovalev being "not that kind of player" - he's definitely not afraid to get his elbow up on a guy...but he usually only does it when he's pissed off (Tucker, Hollweg).

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 10:35 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
yeah, i've been looking for it too. that's why i'm unsure of the actual circumstances, haven't seen the actual hit.
It was a collision, if anything. I had to post the Youtube vid about 6 times for Flyer trolls a few years ago. I can't find it now, though.

Old
11-18-2008, 10:39 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Any late hits should be avoided, head shots or not 'cause even if it's not a head shot at first, the guy who doesn't expect it, can have a serious injury just by falling.

Having said that, doesn't the YouTube clip show that in SLOMOTION there's close to 2 seconds before the puck leaves Gagne's stick and the hit....so how many seconds in real time? Was that really avoidable? If so, yes I agree it should.

But I just find it funny that everybody is calling for a head shot while there's no proofs of it...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 12:30 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrychair View Post
Gagne's just mad cause he didn't expect to be nailed while admiring his pass by Kovalev of all people. Lesson learned.
I agree with this, while I also thought there was an elbow, sometimes it happens, and it doesn't mean it's ok, but it also doesn't deserve a major outcry. Like I said, the lack of it shows it's not a big deal.

Last edited by GKJ: 11-18-2008 at 01:32 PM.
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 01:20 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Much ado about nothing. Like I've said, Simon, keep your head up.
I wouldn't blame Simon for his reaction though. The guy was probably really afraid to see his career ended just there. Reacted after the game on the adrenaline is still is frustrated about it. Understandable reaction for him also even though it wasn't in the end that big of a deal...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 02:42 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I wouldn't blame Simon for his reaction though. The guy was probably really afraid to see his career ended just there. Reacted after the game on the adrenaline is still is frustrated about it. Understandable reaction for him also even though it wasn't in the end that big of a deal...
If he wants to complain that it was a late hit, then it's different. We're talking about a player who had concussions last year (the elbow Rachunek gave him was far worse than this), but we're talking about someone who turned his head almost completely around from when he touched the puck. At the very least he should have been able to defend himself regardless of whether or not it was an elbow.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote