HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Choose the player

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2004, 10:53 PM
Perez

vCash: 500
Group 2

Todd Bertuzzi vs. Milan Hejduk
Bertuzzi, he's got a edge..

Sergi Federov vs. Robert Lang
Federov, better overall

Pavel Datsyuk vs. Vincent Lecavalier
Hard choice, Datsyuk seems interesting right now but I'm going to have to go wtih Vinnie..

Daniel Alfredsson vs. Glen Murray
Alfredsson

Alex Tanguay vs. Alexi Kovalev
Tanguay, Kov is probably better now but not by much (imo) and in long-terme Tanguay wins it..

Peter Bondra vs. Brendan Morrison
Morrison

Nick Lidstrom vs. Bob Blake
Blake

Scott Niedermayer vs. Ed Jovanoski
Niedermayer

Marty Turco vs. Jose Theodore
Theodore, and I doubt that i'm biased ( am I?)

Group 1

Jeremy Roenick vs Jere Lehtinen
Right now because of the injurys of JR, I'll choose Lehtinen..
But a healthy JR is better

Mike Modano vs Joe Sakic
Sakic

Martin St Louis vs Marian Hossa
Hossa even if STL is the top scorer now

Markus Naslund vs Ilya Kovalchuk
Hard one... Kovalchuk

Jarome Iginla vs Martin Havlat
Iginla

Mats Sundin vs Rick Nash
Nash.. but not by much..

Brian Mccabe vs Sheldon Sourray
McCabe, Souray when healthy is better (IMO) but he's injury prone

Zdeno Chara vs Chris Pronger
Chara.. Pronger seems like he could be injury prone but they both are almost equal

Roberto Luongo vs Martin Brodeaur
Luongo he probably already is better if not in 2 years for sure

Last edited by Perez: 03-01-2004 at 10:58 PM.
Old
03-01-2004, 11:35 PM
CanadaAvalanche

Group 2

Todd Bertuzzi vs. Milan Hejduk - Bertuzzi (Big and Strong with good hands)

Sergi Federov vs. Robert Lang - Fedorov (is dominating at both ends of the ice)

Pavel Datsyuk vs. Vincent Lecavalier - Lecavalier (amazing talent for a guy that size)

Daniel Alfredsson vs. Glen Murray - Alfredsson (Alfredsson is just better)

Alex Tanguay vs. Alexi Kovalev - Tanguay (Tanguay is a team player and leading the league in assists!)

Peter Bondra vs. Brendan Morrison - Morrison (solid two way player)

Nick Lidstrom vs. Rob Blake - Blake (One of the most punishing players in the league)

Scott Neidermayer vs. Ed Jovanoski - Niedermayer (amazng speed and is solid at both ends)

Marty Turco vs. Jose Theodore - Theodore (Theodore has proven more in the playoffs)

Group 1

Jeremy Roenick vs Jere Lehtinen - Roenick (seems like a great leader, love to have him as an Av)

Mike Modano vs Joe Sakic - Sakic (I could be bias, but C'mon! look at the history)

Martin St Louis vs Marian Hossa - St. Louis (St.Louis has amazing speed and has a ton of heart)

Markus Naslund vs Ilya Kovalchuk - Naslund (I just cannot stand Kovalchuk and Naslund is amazing)

Jarome Iginla vs Martin Havlat - Iginla (One of the best power forwards in the game)

Mats Sundin vs Rick Nash - Nash (great potential and has the credentials to be the best in the game)

Brian Mccabe vs Sheldon Souray - McCabe (seems more durable)

Zdeno Chara vs Chris Pronger - Pronger (tough call but I had to go with Pronger, but it's extremely close)

Roberto Luongo vs Martin Brodeur - Brodeur (could be the greatest goalie of all-time)

Last edited by CanadaAvalanche: 03-01-2004 at 11:43 PM.
Old
03-02-2004, 12:13 AM
Prongs

Group 2

Todd Bertuzzi
Sergi Federov
Pavel Datsyuk
Daniel Alfredsson
Alex Tanguay
Peter Bondra
Rob Blake
Scott Neidermayer
Marty Turco

Group 1
Jeremy Roenick
Joe Sakic
Marian Hossa
Markus Naslund
Jarome Iginla
Mats Sundin
Brian Mccabe
Chris Pronger
Martin Brodeaur

Old
03-02-2004, 01:24 AM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Group 2

Consistantly puts the puck in the net.

Sergei Federov vs. Robert Lang

Best all-around player in league

Pavel Datsyuk vs. Vincent Lecavallier-Even

Datsyuk would have my vote if he does it again next year. I based this one on skill set.

Scores goals and is a tank. He's been the best offensive player on the Bruins this year.

Puts up the points while Kovalev sits in his beemer.

Peter Bondra vs. Brendan Morrison-Even

One scores, the other sets them up. Both about even at eachothers position

Top 3 defensman of all-time.

Scott Neidermayer vs. Ed Jovanoski

Consistantly one of leagues top defensman

Rather have Theo in playoffs, Turco has looked shakey at times.

Group 1

Leadership

Mike Modano vs Joe Sakic

2nd best all-around player in league.

Love this guy; shifty and small by NHL standards, yet he's still among the NHL's elite

Best pure talent in NHL, and has a better wrist shot than Naslund

Near the NHL lead in goals, and he leads his team. Without him, the Flames wouldn't be anywhere near the playoffs.

Mats Sundin vs Rick Nash

Huge PF, leads the league in goals i believe(if not, close to it.)

Brian Mccabe vs Sheldon Souray

Souray wouldn't be in this if it wasn't for this year. McCabe has been much better for his career

Has come into his own as an elite defensman

Roberto Luongo vs Martin Brodeur-tough one, i'd say even.

Broduer has better stats no question, but i think Luongo has the better skill set. He's just amazing. I'd say he would have just as good as record if he played for NJ, maybe even better than Broduer.

Last edited by Vatican Roulette: 03-02-2004 at 01:37 AM.
Old
03-02-2004, 01:40 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Group 2

Hedjuk is more consistent, better defensively, whines less, takes less penalties, and developed more quickly.

This isn't even close when you consider that Fedorov is one of the best playoff performers in history.

Pavel Datsyuk vs. Vincent Lecavallier
I love Datsyuk and am not enamored by Lecavalier, but he's got so much skill and is quite a bit younger with a lot of time to become consistently good.

Aldredsson brings way more to the table.

Tanguay has shown he can perform with or without Forsberg; Kovalev has performed poorly outside of Pittsburgh.

Morrison simply offers more at this point.

Niklas Lidstrom vs. Bob Blake
Lidstrom will be top 5 all-time when he retires, Blake won't even be top 20.

Scott Neidermayer vs. Ed Jovanovski
Niedermayer is much more dependable player.

Turco is probably my favorite young goaltender.

Group 1

Lehtinen is the best two-way player in the game and doesn't have nine concussions.

Mike Modano vs Joe Sakic
Sakic has outperformed Modano consistently, both great players though.

Really tough one here, but Hossa wins out because he's getting better all the time and his skill level is off the charts.

Kovalchuk isn't as good as Naslund yet but he's catching up rapidly and will be at Naslund's current level while Marcus was still fighting for ice-time and on the verge of being traded.

Havlat is very good but Iginla is more of a game-breaker, and I don't think Havlat's best season will be as good as what Iginla has already done.

Mats Sundin vs Rick Nash
Long-term of course I'd take Nash but as of right now he's fairly one-dimensional while Sundin is a great leader and consistent point producer.

McCabe has more upside and is performing at a similar level this season; expect the gap to get bigger in the future.

Chara simply isn't at Pronger's level yet, despite being in the middle of a great season, and might never get there.

Roberto Luongo vs Martin Brodeur
I'm not sold on the Luongo hype yet, in terms of him being the greatest thing since sliced bread, and I'll go with the perrenial winner who still has a ton of gas left in the tank.

Old
03-02-2004, 02:03 AM
sandman08

Group 2

<b>Todd Bertuzzi</b> vs. Milan Hejduk
Bert.. hes good offensively and if i were building a team you basically have to have some sorta power forward and he fits the bill
<b>Sergei Federov</b> vs. Robert Lang
federov has been doin his thing for a very long time now, not that lang isnt good or theres anything wrong w/ bein a late bloomer but consistency wins this one.. of course i will contradict myself later im sure but whatever.
Pavel Datsyuk vs. <b>Vincent Lecavallier</b>
i love watching that guy skate. i saw him play for rimouski and well he and tanguay put on a show (then promptly got drafted 1st and 12th overall in the next draft)
<b>Daniel Alfredsson</b> vs. Glen Murray
i just like the guy
<b>Alex Tanguay</b> vs. Alexi Kovalev
in addition to what i mentioned above.. he also went to my highschool lol
<b>Peter Bondra</b> vs. Brendan Morrison
ive always loved bondra.. i think its his shot from the point and his speed
Nick Lidstrom vs. <b>Rob Blake</b>
lidstrom is an amazing defencemen but i'm going to have to go w/ blake because of his physical nature and his open ice hitting (although not as good as it used to be, or atleast he doesnt do it as much) although this is definately a close one, seeing as lidstrom is very humble (something i absolutely love in pro atheletes).. either way they make great role models and thats important
<b>Scott Neidermayer</b> vs. Ed Jovanoski
is there a better skating defencemen in the league today? i think not. although i would love to see jovocop patrolling the habs blue line i still dont think he has anything (yet) on neids (other than the better nickname)
Marty Turco vs. <b><u>Jose Theodore</b></u>
not as totally a homer pick as it seems but i do think theo has shown more in the playoffs to lead the team to the "promised" land (so far) then turco has.. thats all it comes down to right now.. (yes im aware that theo went 1 round further than turco but theo did play amazing later in that series and was instrumental in the win and us getting to the playoffs in the first place)
Group 1

<b>Jeremy Roenick</b> vs Jere Lehtinen
ive always hated JR (mainly due to the teams hes been with i guess) but i have respect for him none the less as a fearless competitor
Mike Modano vs <b>Joe Sakic</b>
complete package of skill, smarts and intensity.. hes everything the game embodies for me, defensively and offensively smart, gifted passer, great shot, hard worker.. etc etc.. hes an amazing player to say the least
Martin St Louis vs <b>Marian Hossa</b>
i love hossa.. hes a great player w/ and w/o the puck and goes strong to the net.. he may not put up the huge numbers st louis is but he is still amazing.
although at the same time i do have a very big soft spot for st. louis based solely on his perserverance and his size and i respect him very much for never giving up.
<b>Markus Naslund</b> vs Ilya Kovalchuk
the definition of classy. thats the only reason so far (not that ilya isnt classy but markus is one of the classiest in the league and i respect that)
<b>Jarome Iginla</b> vs Martin Havlat
size, skill, intensity, leadership qualities, looks, classy, humility, respect for others and for the game itself.. everything that a young player needs
Mats Sundin vs <b>Rick Nash</b>
i dont like mats balding nature and the fact that he was voted to some list of toronto's sexiest players or some BS like that (just kidding as that being my reason but he was on some list in some newspaper when i lived there) .. seriously though i like nash cause hes a kid and i seem to have a soft spot for younger players in general
Brian Mccabe vs <b>Sheldon Sourray</b>
im very biased, but ive always hated the 'can opener" move that mccabe throws out (appears to be less this year from ive seen) and i just love how souray has comeback from injuries and how he plays
this is a toss up.. pronger is a great player and a great leader who is dominant but he hasnt played to the same calibre as before his injuries IMO and that hurts his "stock" .. on the other hand chara is playing great this year but didnt play as great as he can and should in the playoffs last year and that in turn hurts his stock.. when it all comes down to it, when theyre both on their games and all that, it would still be a tossup for me seein as though they both are physical and hard hitting players and they can sure as hell clear the front of the net.. and pair either of these 2 w/ souray and blake neids and you have quite possibly the best top 4 ever put together.period.
Roberto Luongo vs <b>Martin Brodeaur</b>
what can i say? marty's on pace to break roy's records, although luongo has a legitimate shot at it.. i think brodeur now and over the next 4-5 years is gonna be the "brodeur we know and have come to see" so i still would take him.. and even though the league is getting rid of the puckhandling and all that.. the rule for all intents and purposes will be known as the "martin brodeur rule" so that speaks volumes about his ability as a player

Old
03-02-2004, 02:46 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumOfUs

Group 2

Sergi Fedorov vs. Robert Land

Old
03-02-2004, 03:07 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Group 2

Even though Hejduk is sick, you can't pass on Bertuzzi--great power forwards are too rare of a breed to ignore.

Sergei Federov vs. Robert Lang
Lang's just been playing like the better player.

Toughie, but Datsyuk has been better at creating stuff this season.

Alfie brings a better overall game and leadership skills.

Tanguay has just played awesome this season, Kovalev, has not.

No comparison. Morrison isn't one dimensional.

I'd take Blake over every dman this season.

More consistant and a better offensive game overshadows the lesser physical game brought by Neidermayer.

The more talented of the two.

Group 1

Mike Modano vs Joe Sakic
Easy choice--no explaination needed, this season they are worlds apart.

I think given similar skillsets, Hossa brings a stronger game and is harder to contain.

Best winger in the NHL.

Worlds apart here too.

Mats Sundin vs Rick Nash
See Iginla/Havlat.

I'm still not totally sold on Souray, however this season they've been playing relatively similar. I've always been a Mccabe fan, so my bias gives him the nod.

This season, I'd take Pronger over every dman in the NHL--except Blake.

I'll go with the more proven of the two, however this one was close.

Old
03-02-2004, 04:18 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Group 2

Hedjuk might be more consistant and a better sniper, but Bert, when on, is the most dominating forward in the NHL. I prefer the powerforward above the sniper.

Not even close. Lang is enjoying a fluke season while Fedorov is one of the best all-round players in the game.

Younger, more upside, stronger, better all-round. #4 With rather ease..

One sided sniper or consistant all-round leader? I take Alffie with no hesitations, he's also money in the playoffs and plays intense hockey.

Alex Tanguay vs. Alexei Kovalev

- Kovalev is one of the most talented players in the game, his shot is probably top 3 and if he never were to join the Rags, he'd be mentioned with Naslund instead of Tanguay.

- A draw but there's bias involved, as Bondra is one of my favorite players. He's way more lethal with the puck and just oozes with speed, skill and emotion. He's also solid defensively. Morrison is a better two-way player, but I think the difference in eachother's offense and defense is pretty close, if not an edge to Bondra.

- Niklas easily. Best player in the game, the only defenseman that could challenge him is Pronger. Blake would come 3rd but his inconsistencies in his own end makes me hesitant to mention him in the same breath as the league's top player over the past 5 seasons.

- One of the most complete defensemen in the game today. He's a proven performer in the playoffs, and would be even a bigger offensive threat of he weren't playing in Jersey. Jovo, however, does has simular upside and isn't far behind..

- Came in the NHL, won the Jennings and the Roger Crozier MBNA Saving Grace Award in his first season as a backup. Then went on to take over from franchise's best netminder in Belfour in 2002, being voted the best backup in the NHL, while chasing "the Eagle" out of town. Recorded the lowest goals against average as well as the 2nd highest save percentage since WOII in his first year as a starter. Was the runner up for the Vezina and finished in the top 10 for the Hart. Right now once again the undisputed MVP of this team, he's in contention for the Vezina and maybe even Hart is he keeps this up. He's even on pace to brake another record, minutes played.

Aside from Theo's magical season in 2002, he hasn't been as consistant and steady as Marty. And I am not sure whether Theo's 2002 season is that much better than Turco's 2003 season, if at all.

Group 1

- I take the consistant franchise player above an inconsistant two-way center. Jere Lehtinen is by far the best defensive player in the game today, can score you 30+ goals as well as being your best player in everything else.

Mike Modano vs Joe Sakic

- A draw. Modano is deemed more complete but Sakic just keeps on racking up points at a rediculous pace. Both are elite superstar centers.

- Better scorer and I just prefer the big, well balanced sniper over the gritty smallish smurf with flashy moves and rediculous speed.

- Naslund is still the best offensive producer in the game today, he has been for 5 straight seasons now. Ilya while probably being more talented, has an upside that goes beyond Naslund's prime years, but he isn't quite there yet.

- Iginla. He brings more to the game and while not as flashy, is more effective and can change momentum on more ways than one.

Mats Sundin vs Rick Nash

- Pretty laughable comparison if you ask me. A proven elite center or the surprising sophomore who plays an entirely different position? Sundin with ease..

- Bryan McCabe. Because he has enjoyed a nearly simular stud season 2 years ago, making him a saver bet to do so on a consistant base. He's also more physical..

- Pronger by a landside. Just as good defensively, if not better, while being superior offensively (though Chara's offense is coming on just nicely). Also a better leader and much more proven..

- Voted Luongo on the same question asked at the poll board because it's to rediculous for words how much the youth at HF gets overrated.

Old
03-02-2004, 04:22 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa

Roenick without a doubt. He's a leader, he's his team's best player. That's not Lehtinen, that's Modano.
[/B]
Uum no.. Jere has been the Stars best player for the last 5 seasons or so, if not more. Modano just got far more credit for it because he racked up more points..

Old
03-02-2004, 08:04 AM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
Group 2