HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

February will make or break us

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2004, 07:25 PM
dulzhok

vCash: 500
February will make or break us

Four teams currently sit tied for 6th in the west, and all four teams have played 54 games. I expect that over the next month, there will be some distance put to this traffic jam.

Thankfully, we have a very favorable schedule during the month of February.

Only 1 of the next 11 games is against a team who has more points than us (San Jose). 10 of the 11 are against teams tied or below us the standings.

If we have a good stretch over this month, we should be in prime position to make a run at the playoffs.

If we come out average or less than average, we'll probably be on the outside looking in with no confidence.

I honestly feel that this is the most crucial point in our franchise. If we make the playoffs, I think our franchise will be saved. The city of Nashville will eat up the NHL playoff action. The season ticket holders will renew their season tickets, even with the pending labor situation. And the team will probably regain and/or pick more season ticket holders. And hopefully, when the labor situation is said and done, our ability to compete will be much more to our advantage.

If we don't make the playoffs, many season ticket holders will wait before they decide whether or not to renew. Many of them will decline on their renewal, even if an agreement is reached before the start of the next season. If their is a work stoppage, the already low interest about the NHL in Nashville will fall further and further. The team will be hanging on it's last thread in Nashville.

So, in summary, we need an excellent February.

Old
02-07-2004, 08:32 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
I think we could have said this about January and will say this about March. It's about survival. If we can stay where we are by Feb. 28, March will be the critical month and so forth. But as of right now, February is the most important month. We cannot slip up.

Old
02-07-2004, 10:08 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
I think we could have said this about January and will say this about March. It's about survival. If we can stay where we are by Feb. 28, March will be the critical month and so forth. But as of right now, February is the most important month. We cannot slip up.
True, but I don't like to look at it as "not slipping up." In February, we have a chance to take control and almost solidify a playoff spot. If we can win 7 or 8 of these very winnable games, we should be able to distance ourselves from the playoff cut-off.

Old
02-07-2004, 11:45 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Vokoun has to step up his game....If he does, we win. Its really quite simple

Old
02-08-2004, 11:51 AM
Jarnberg

Yes, February is very important. Except for last year, we have folded after the all-star break, although we've never been in this good of a position. Our making the playoffs depends on how well we do after the All-Star break.

We've been a great team so far, imo. But I also think that alot of players aren't even playing their best, but the team is getting the job done.

Old
03-02-2004, 06:07 PM
dulzhok

Well, I'd say we had a good, but not great February.

I was really hoping for great one. Missing out on those four points against Columbus and Chicago was disappointing. Those four points would have given us a nice little cushion going to a very difficult March.

11 of our last 17 games are on the road. We face 6 powerhouse teams-- Ottawa (road), Detroit (road), Vancouver (road), Colorado (road), Philly (road), Boston (home). We have four games against are close competitors (CGY-2, STL-2). The remaining 7 are against teams below us the standings.

We've still got a long road ahead of us.

Old
03-02-2004, 06:49 PM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
there is no such thing as a favorable schedule for this team, as far as Im concerned.

I have faith that we can continue to contend

Old
03-03-2004, 12:53 AM
sparkle twin
On the Coooole Train

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
I prefer to just look at it in small bunches. Like the road trip, then a home game, then another road trip, then home, etc. Just get as many points as we can in one group then on to the next set of games. And we MUST get every point available at home. Because our home games are spread out, we have to make sure to take every available point we can at home to send us out on the road with a little bit of momentum.

No matter how good they may play, I wonít feel comfortable until one of the following occurs:
1) We are mathematically assured of a spot somewhere in the 8. OR
2) We played the last game of the season in Colorado and that guarantees us a spot somewhere in the 8.

Definitely going to be tough, and itís still a long ways to go, but if we just take care of our own business then everything will fall into place.

Closed Thread