HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Bettman: Construction MUST begin in 09' for New York Islanders

Old
11-16-2008, 12:35 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

vCash: 500
Bettman: Construction MUST begin in 09' for New York Islanders

I understand that there is a thread already in the Business part of this forum. But this is pretty big news for most Islander fans. Earlier this season, I created a thread where I touched on how we needed severe help from NHL notables. Well it seems that Gary Bettman has taken his involvement with the Islanders cause a step further.

On 1050 ESPN Radio tonight around 6 PM, Bettman touched on the Islanders and said that construction must begin this upcoming summer. He didn't say "OR ELSE", but we all understand what's going on here. The New York Islanders are on life support people. Keep your eye on this franchise, because this could be one of the last on Long Island.

A quote from Chris Botta's blog, a very in-the-know person with the Islanders. Sort of acts like our beat writer.

Quote:
:55 pm - In an interview recorded this afternoon, NHL commisioner Gary Bettman said Nassau County and the Town of Hempstead must pave the way for ground-breaking on the Coliseum property by next summer.

The interview is part of “NY Hockey This Week” with Don La Greca and I on 1050 ESPN Radio and will be played at approximately 6:00 pm tonight.

I asked the commisioner if, after spending plenty of time with Islanders owner Charles Wang at the Coliseum on Tuesday, he knew for sure the process to transform the arena property will begin in the offseason of 2009. Bettman could not guarantee that, but he made it clear it’s a must. “It has to,” he said.

In the interview, Bettman praised Wang twice for saving the Islanders and for having the “character” to focus on keeping the Islanders in Nassau County and not issuing threats. He said he was very supportive of the efforts of Wang and Scott Rechler to finalize a deal with Nassau and the Town of Hempstead and said he was available to them at all times to assist in their efforts to complete a deal.
Keeping this in the NHL forum because I view it as a pretty substantial development, what are other NHL fans opinion of what's going on here? The Islanders are in a very serious stage right now, and this could be the beginning of the end for a franchise that has a very rich history in a short amount of time in this league. It's so freaking sad what has become of this organization because not many professional teams can lay claim to a dynasty.

It's just unbelievable to think that team's like Atlanta and Florida could be around in 2010 while the Islanders may not be. Just freaking unbelievable.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 03:55 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

They have a lot of history there, but if they can't make it work...

The Baltimore Colts moved.
The Minneapolis Lakers moved.
It happens.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 04:00 AM
guyincognito

Sounds similiar to the Pens stuff. I would be wary of Bettman's involvement because it definately means the BoG has a Plan B.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 04:04 AM
MVP of West Hollywd

Wow that would suck, but would make somewhat sense considering the struggling ecnomy and the fact that they literally have not been good at any time since the dynasty. They had one cinderella run to the semis and that's about it. But still... it's New York, and it's the Islanders. I mean the Clippers don't seem to be in much danger and they've made the playoffs like 3 times in 30 years and didn't win a series until like 3 years ago.

I think they'd have to keep the name the Islanders if they moved... there's just too much history. But yea, sad.

MVP of West Hollywd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 04:12 AM
1234rer

Sucks to hear, but could this mean the Islanders will try to seek a bigger profit sharing percentage from the thriving franchises? Can/will that happen?

1234rer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 04:12 AM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Sucks, but not that out of the blue. The Islanders need a new building pretty badly. Seems kinda like the Sonics all over again, maybe they'll move to Kansas City too.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 04:33 AM
Miss Mess

I didn't realize that they might be in danger of losing their franchise. How sad. I'm sure it'll turn around, it's a huge market and a better arena property should help.

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 05:37 AM
Iggy-4-50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP of West Hollywd View Post

I think they'd have to keep the name the Islanders if they moved...
Victoria Islanders
Cape Bretion Islanders
Summerside Islanders

Iggy-4-50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 06:34 AM
number22

A formal announcement will happen in January that phase 1 of construction will happen right when this season is over.
Right now they are waiting for the environmental to be sorted out.

I know somebody big in the town of hempstead and this is what he keeps telling me. Apparently the project has overwhelming support from all the local communities and the Town of Hempstead wants it to happen.

So all rumors about the Islanders moving end right here.

number22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 08:18 AM
Twister mtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy-4-50 View Post
Victoria Islanders
Cape Bretion Islanders
Summerside Islanders

Prince Edward Island Islanders

Twister mtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 08:32 AM
Bougieman

Considering that this team has the worst attendance in the NHL -- even worse than Phoenix (which is really saying something!!) I can't say that I'm shocked to hear this news.

The Islanders have a rich tradition, yes. But if the city won't support the team, move them to Winnipeg where an NHL quality building awaits, and a community that lives and breathes hockey as a religion will take that team under their wing and sell out the building every damn night. I won't be happy to see them leave NY, but I'd be even more unhappy to see Winnipeg go without for no good reason.

Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 08:34 AM
number22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bougieman View Post
Considering that this team has the worst attendance in the NHL -- even worse than Phoenix (which is really saying something!!) I can't say that I'm shocked to hear this news.

The Islanders have a rich tradition, yes. But if the city won't support the team, move them to Winnipeg where an NHL quality building awaits, and a community that lives and breathes hockey as a religion will take that team under their wing and sell out the building every damn night. I won't be happy to see them leave NY, but I'd be even more unhappy to see Winnipeg go without for no good reason.

didn't you see what I just wrote? they aren't moving.

number22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 08:37 AM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:

Yeah, no. Winnipeg's building isn't NHL quality in the slightest. 15,015? Come on.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 08:42 AM
caseygraves
Don Cherry apologist

vCash: 214
Yes! a team in Winnipeg means the Red Wings can move to the eastern conference

caseygraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 08:46 AM
OpAck

Quote:
Victoria Islanders
Cape Bretion Islanders
Summerside Islanders

Come on...this is Gary Bettman's NHL. So, with that said...

Hilton Head Islanders
Key West Islanders
Cape Hatteras Islanders

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:00 AM
BJo

If they move i will kill myself

And I'll also deactivate my account

BJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:02 AM
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?

Quote:
Victoria Islanders
Cape Bretion Islanders
Summerside Islanders

Charlie Milles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:18 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrrunkis! View Post
Come on...this is Gary Bettman's NHL. So, with that said...

Hilton Head Islanders
Key West Islanders
Cape Hatteras Islanders
With Bettman focusing more on Europe we could throw Orkney Islanders out there. And then there's Diego Garcia and the Isle of Man and ...

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 10:41 AM
Nolanitis

Yes the isles have worst attendance in the league..... but when there was hope in 2001, the attendance issue was reversed. But with that being said, the arena only holds 16, 214 fans, which would make them in the lower half of the league if they sold out every night.

But there are some issues still. Yes Nassau wants the new Coliseum and some of the amenities proposed by Wang. But do they really need the "grand scheme" Wang proposes without appropriate public transportation.

The Isles will sell out when the team has a legitimate chance of competing, as it did in 1993 and 2001.
But for mediocrity, fighting traffic (among the worst in the league) with no option of public transportation, paying for tickets (although the Isles prices are not too bad), and dealing with the worst arena in professional sports as far as concessions and bathrooms. Honestly, the line at Nathan's was soooo long on opening night you would have missed 1/2 the period if you got on line at the end of the previous period. And the bathrooms are a plain out joke on sold out nights. Plan on a 15 minute piss break at least. And all of this to see them lose 70% of the time, usually late in the 3rd period.

Sure the Isles need a new arena, but does Nassau have to bend over to let Wang get his way. Wang could sell the team yet again, and the new owners could build a new arena and a restaurant/bar section nearby and make a profit. But Wang wants to become even richer off the Islanders and their fanatics! The question is, will the Town of Hempstead allow him to? My guess is yes.

As for Wang, he should continue to do exactly what he is doing. He knows the county executive (Souzzi is supporting it) personally and does not want to "show him up", and more importantly Wang most likely should be in prison as he former partner Kumor is for the Computer Associates fiasco

Nolanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 10:58 AM
Pascal

All I have to say is that it's a shame that the NYI fans have to deal with such a crappy ownership. They deserve a lot better and I hope they can fix all their issues quickly. It's one of those teams that should be solid, stable and not sucking so much.. I felt the same about Chicago in the last couple of years.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 12:39 PM
SchwenningerWildWing

Send a message via ICQ to SchwenningerWildWing
Quote:

11 posts until Winnipeg came up

SchwenningerWildWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 01:01 PM
McMonster

As a Rangers fan, I don't know what to think about this...

I would never want to see hockey fans lose their team though

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 01:01 PM
estevao
Human Person

NYI might be the biggest reason for the NHL to adopt 20-team playoffs (which would suck, IMO).

The Isles should do what the Packers have done - small-town team, 'owned' by the fans (but do they really have enough fans for people to buy stock?)

estevao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
All I have to say is that it's a shame that the NYI fans have to deal with such a crappy ownership. They deserve a lot better and I hope they can fix all their issues quickly. It's one of those teams that should be solid, stable and not sucking so much.. I felt the same about Chicago in the last couple of years.
True, but this isn't about ownership. If anything, this is the best part about having Charles Wang - he wants this to work, even if it's only for the real estate area around the Coliseum. If Wang were to sell the team, I don't even want to think about what would happen.

Major Catch-22.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 01:37 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
With Bettman focusing more on Europe we could throw Orkney Islanders out there. And then there's Diego Garcia and the Isle of Man and ...
One of those three doesnt belong and is nowhere close to Europe.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote