HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Bettman: Construction MUST begin in 09' for New York Islanders

Old
11-16-2008, 01:41 PM
BJo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante 71 View Post
As a Rangers fan, I don't know what to think about this...

I would never want to see hockey fans lose their team though
It would be pretty crappy for Rangers fans to root for an Islander move.

BJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 01:44 PM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrrunkis! View Post
Come on...this is Gary Bettman's NHL. So, with that said...

Hilton Head Islanders
Key West Islanders
Cape Hatteras Islanders
With the successful expansion in non-hockey areas of the US, why not take it full out?

Oahu Islanders

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 01:48 PM
Titan124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
All I have to say is that it's a shame that the NYI fans have to deal with such a crappy ownership. They deserve a lot better and I hope they can fix all their issues quickly. It's one of those teams that should be solid, stable and not sucking so much.. I felt the same about Chicago in the last couple of years.
The arena problem has nothing to do with the ownership. I appreciate your empathy, but I just wish people would get facts straight. Wang is offering to build a stadium and develop the surrounding land for no charge to the county except the land that it is to be built on. The county says yes to this, but the town says No because of traffic. The entire situation is a farce but Wang is a saint in this situation and as far as I'm concerned he saved this franchise and made it competetive for a brief period of time.

At least we know we have an owner with the money to compete with teams in terms of salary, which is something that the Islanders didn't have for years before he bought the team (remember, they also had an owner who bought the team through fraud and had no more than 2 million dollars).

Titan124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 01:52 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

My hate for them is more appaent than a boner in sweatpants, but I wouldn't want them to move. I hate to say it, but they NEED one of Tavares/Hedman

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 01:55 PM
one2gamble

they will figure it out

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 02:32 PM
TorontoSports

Are they still trying to get a new arena in Hartford? I wouldn't mind hearing the brass bonanza again.

TorontoSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 02:58 PM
Trottier
Very Random

This is called lobbying, placing pressure on the local government.

The sky is not falling (yet). And political posturing is never as black and white as one wishes it to seem.

Concern here is even if a great new arena is built tomorrow, in today's world, that alone will not be enough to drive attendance/revenue up for a sustainable period.

That is to say, unless the on-ice product improves, measurably, the novelty of a new arena will wane rapidly.

Worth noting that the Isles attendance has been dubious for many years, dating back a decade+, even prior to the call for a new arena. This coincided with the team's multiple-decades-long lack of competitiveness.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 03:45 PM
jared37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Yeah, no. Winnipeg's building isn't NHL quality in the slightest. 15,015? Come on.
last i heard is that when they built the mts center in winnipeg they set it up so they could expand and add on another upper bowl adding probably close to 5 thousand seats, not sure how this is posible but this is what was said during construction

jared37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 04:03 PM
8BostonRocker24

The one thing I love about Boston, is citizens here do not play for stadiums or arenas. The tax payers are not paying hundreds of millions of dollars for a building, so billionaires can make more money.

I have never understood why places like Pittsburgh & Philadelphia have paid for these places.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
Sounds similiar to the Pens stuff. I would be wary of Bettman's involvement because it definately means the BoG has a Plan B.
...has a Plan B that is ready to go right now if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
I understand that there is a thread already in the Business part of this forum. But this is pretty big news for most Islander fans. Earlier this season, I created a thread where I touched on how we needed severe help from NHL notables. Well it seems that Gary Bettman has taken his involvement with the Islanders cause a step further.

On 1050 ESPN Radio tonight around 6 PM, Bettman touched on the Islanders and said that construction must begin this upcoming summer. He didn't say "OR ELSE", but we all understand what's going on here. The New York Islanders are on life support people. Keep your eye on this franchise, because this could be one of the last on Long Island.

A quote from Chris Botta's blog, a very in-the-know person with the Islanders. Sort of acts like our beat writer.

Keeping this in the NHL forum because I view it as a pretty substantial development, what are other NHL fans opinion of what's going on here? The Islanders are in a very serious stage right now, and this could be the beginning of the end for a franchise that has a very rich history in a short amount of time in this league. It's so freaking sad what has become of this organization because not many professional teams can lay claim to a dynasty.

It's just unbelievable to think that team's like Atlanta and Florida could be around in 2010 while the Islanders may not be. Just freaking unbelievable.
This definitely belongs in this forum. Thanks for the update. At least Wang is trying his best to keep the team here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
Sucks, but not that out of the blue. The Islanders need a new building pretty badly. Seems kinda like the Sonics all over again, maybe they'll move to Kansas City too.
This is nothing like what Clay Bennett did with the Sonics. From the moment he bought them his whole purpose in Life was to move them to Oklahoma. He just legally satisfied exploring all public funding options (not that he didn't try to secure one cent of private funds...even though it was offered in multiple ways) and exhausting all those avenues before he could move the team with the least amount of resistance.

Last edited by Dolemite: 11-16-2008 at 04:16 PM.
Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 04:24 PM
freakin

I doubt we'll ever see a team that has won a Cup in the past ever lose their franchise.

freakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 05:02 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
The one thing I love about Boston, is citizens here do not play for stadiums or arenas. The tax payers are not paying hundreds of millions of dollars for a building, so billionaires can make more money.

I have never understood why places like Pittsburgh & Philadelphia have paid for these places.
No, we pay for death trap tunnels underneath the city that are now major terrorist targers.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 06:33 PM
Psyfer
Thrashers forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakin View Post
I doubt we'll ever see a team that has won a Cup in the past ever lose their franchise.
Pittsburgh was pretty close and I don't see how that would really matter anyways.

Psyfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 06:52 PM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
No, we pay for death trap tunnels underneath the city that are now major terrorist targers.
That saves me at least an hour each day. I'd much have my tax dollars go to a forward thinking, state-of-the-art, civil engineering project then a $300+ million tool for some rich guy to get richer.

Aside from the time savings, The North End looks completely different now. Only people that live in Boston can truly understand that.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:41 PM
landfill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan18 View Post
Pittsburgh was pretty close and I don't see how that would really matter anyways.
Isn't Carolina in trouble right now as well?

Man I hope the Isles stay seems like a good hockey market with strong support for the team. The only thing that worries me is the teams fate is in Charles Wangs hands.

landfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:47 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
That saves me at least an hour each day. I'd much have my tax dollars go to a forward thinking, state-of-the-art, civil engineering project then a $300+ million tool for some rich guy to get richer.

Aside from the time savings, The North End looks completely different now. Only people that live in Boston can truly understand that.
Then let Bostoners pay for it, and take down the tolls. Biggest waste of money ever.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I ****ing despise the Islanders.

But I'd be insanely upset if they had to leave.

I really don't want to see it happen.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:50 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJo View Post
It would be pretty crappy for Rangers fans to root for an Islander move.
There is not a single REAL Rangers fan who wants to see the Islanders leave.

We love dominating the crowd in your building and all, but the rivalry is something incredible. It would be such a shame to lose that.

Just a shame.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 10:04 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by landfill View Post
Isn't Carolina in trouble right now as well?
No. Very close to making profits on the hockey team itself, not just other things in the arena (they make a profit on the operation as a whole) And the lease was just extended by 30 years last summer.

Carolina is going all of nowhere.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 11:14 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
There is not a single REAL Rangers fan who wants to see the Islanders leave.

We love dominating the crowd in your building and all, but the rivalry is something incredible. It would be such a shame to lose that.

Just a shame.
I have to say Jonathan, and all to the other Ranger fans: Thank you. It is VERY classy of you guys backing behind a fanbase and a franchise that needs it. We all hate eachother(My hatred for the Rangers is ridiculous) but we are HOCKEY fans first.

It would be a HUGE blow to a professional league that could see a franchise who went through a dynasty relocated. There IS huge support on Long Island for this team.

We are here. The ownership and dubious decade(s) long ineptness has forced us away. I do all that I can to support the team but even I drew a line, and it started last season. I simply cannot take all this circus-like decision making.

WITH THAT SAID, if my only option is to have Wang have this stupid lighthouse built than I behind it 100%. It may take more than just me, and it may have to include Ranger fans, Devils fans, FANS of the National Hockey League.

The Islanders need you. It may not be crucial now, but if something doesn't happen, we may have to let our voices be heard.

And it will take all of us.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 09:36 AM
Gooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortlandBud View Post
Are they still trying to get a new arena in Hartford? I wouldn't mind hearing the brass bonanza again.
I would love it if the Islanders moved to Hartford and became the Whalers! That would probably never happen though

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 09:38 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I ****ing despise the Islanders.

But I'd be insanely upset if they had to leave.

I really don't want to see it happen.
Yeah, even as rivals, you'd never want to see one of them move. I didn't want to see the Penguins move

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 11:16 AM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Dumbest move they could do. Thats like moving the Oilers from Edmonton and putting them in a new city. You don't move franchises that have that kind of history.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 11:21 AM
flannelman
default user

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twister mtl View Post
Prince Edward Island Islanders
touche...

flannelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 11:22 AM
Pascal

My post was a bit more general and not focused on Wang alone. I didn't word it properly.. It was more of a broad statement that it's a shame that Isles fans have to go through so much crap.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote