HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Martin Ordered To Make Playoffs, Sign Jaybo AND Cut $3 Mil In Payroll

Old
11-16-2008, 09:55 AM
Georgia Panther

vCash: 500
Martin Ordered To Make Playoffs, Sign Jaybo AND Cut $3 Mil In Payroll

According to Garrioch, Alan Cohen thinks he signed Houdini, not JM, as General Manager.

The heat has been turned up on Florida Panthers GM Jacques Martin. League sources say not only does Florida owner Alan Cohen want the club to cut up to $3 million from the budget because of non-existent ticket sales, he also wants the club to re-sign D Jay Bouwmeester and make the playoffs. In case the owner hasn't noticed, Bouwmeester really doesn't want to stay with the Panthers and assistant GM Randy Sexton is already fielding offers. But if Cohen orders management to keep Bouwmeester, then Martin could have a huge problem .

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Hock...26226-sun.html

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 10:10 AM
Madhatter73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
According to Garrioch, Alan Cohen thinks he signed Houdini, not JM, as General Manager.

The heat has been turned up on Florida Panthers GM Jacques Martin. League sources say not only does Florida owner Alan Cohen want the club to cut up to $3 million from the budget because of non-existent ticket sales, he also wants the club to re-sign D Jay Bouwmeester and make the playoffs. In case the owner hasn't noticed, Bouwmeester really doesn't want to stay with the Panthers and assistant GM Randy Sexton is already fielding offers. But if Cohen orders management to keep Bouwmeester, then Martin could have a huge problem .

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Hock...26226-sun.html
Sigh... If this is true, it seems that Cohen's giving us his word that he was going to stay out of the hockey decisions was more crap...

Most of the hockey-knowledgeable think this team is headed in generally the right direction.

I think someone needs to send Cohen a copy of the Tortoise and the Hare. Good story...

A steady pace taking a straight line towards your goal will usually get you there quicker than running quickly and changing direction every couple of steps... you'll even be less stressed by the experience...

"Slow and Steady wins the Race"

Cohen, you do not know how to cook... stay out of the $#%@ing kitchen!

(trying to think of more timeless examples, but it's too early)

Madhatter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 10:12 AM
GoRatsGo
LGP

I don't think this is true...Cohen just did a 360 on what he has been building up and that is that he wasn't going to be involved in the hockey part of the franchise.

GoRatsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 10:37 AM
Pukboy5kroner

Cohen has always been just this side of bat **** crazy, so nothing surprises me with him and his money. This is the same owner who let Keenan be fired as head coach just to hire him back as GM then let him quit later. If true, the expectations seem a bit contradictory: signing Bouw will eventually cost more money; cutting 3 million in salary would mean a significant piece or pieces of the team would have to go and thus the playoffs might be a bit further away.

Being reallistic, where could 3 million be cut easily? The team would only have a few viable options: trade Skrats for a pick and find a way to get rid of Peltonen, Stewart, Kreps, or Dvorak; find a team interested in taking Boynton's salary; trade one of the young guys -- Weiss, Horton, Olesz -- with longer decent contracts.

I just don't see shedding that kind of salary, while still being competative for the playoffs. As is the team is still pretty far from seeing the playoffs this year.

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 10:50 AM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukboy5kroner View Post
Cohen has always been just this side of bat **** crazy, so nothing surprises me with him and his money. This is the same owner who let Keenan be fired as head coach just to hire him back as GM then let him quit later. If true, the expectations seem a bit contradictory: signing Bouw will eventually cost more money; cutting 3 million in salary would mean a significant piece or pieces of the team would have to go and thus the playoffs might be a bit further away.

Being reallistic, where could 3 million be cut easily? The team would only have a few viable options: trade Skrats for a pick and find a way to get rid of Peltonen, Stewart, Kreps, or Dvorak; find a team interested in taking Boynton's salary; trade one of the young guys -- Weiss, Horton, Olesz -- with longer decent contracts.

I just don't see shedding that kind of salary, while still being competative for the playoffs. As is the team is still pretty far from seeing the playoffs this year.
I would be fine with shedding the payroll, IF we find takers for Boynton or Dvorak, not the younger guys. Horton maybe. Trading Bouw would cut the salary, if we want suitable assets. But, like you say, all the demands don't match. But hey, maybe it's really so that JM can pick which of the demands he wants to meet? Either shed 3 mil of salary, keep Bouw or make playoffs?

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 11:17 AM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukboy5kroner View Post

Skrastins is the only vet with value and he's been solid this season. We couldn't give away Smurphy on waivers so I doubt we'll be able to get rid of Peltonen, Dvorak or anyone else for that matter.

It's funny that Cohen "opens his wallet" and JM makes these long-term signings that pay more now to guys like Weiss, Horton and Olesz to save more later when they could command more $ on the open market, then says cut 3 million in the 1st quarter of the season? Are you kidding me? You can't just cut 3 million like Pride says: Houdini magic! LOL This is hilarious, if true.

Doesn't Cohen grasp that guys like Dvo, Pelts, and Zednik will come off the books next year so there's your 3 million. Plus, if you sign Bouwmeester, his salary could increase the payroll by at least 3 million considering he's making 4+ now and could get as much as 7. I don't get the logic in this...

Good luck signing Bouwmeester period for that matter. Maybe Cohen is just setting Martin up for the axe if we don't make the playoffs. Then he can say I had 3 things for the GM to do and he couldn't do any of them so I fired him. Makes sense from that angle.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Panthers/Leafs fan

Seems like a lose-lose situation to me.

1. Shed 3 mil in salary? Trade McCabe to a contender (there will be interest). But then what does that do for your chances of making the playoffs? Trade anyone else with that kind of money--one assumes they're good. Besides the fact that McCabe has a no-move contract, who do you cut?

2 Keep Bouwmeester. Might happen, probably not. But Bouwmeester holds all the aces. Do you do what the Leafs did and end up losing him like they did Sundin (meaning, get nothing at all back in the end). Boumeester can afford to wait. How do you get him to sign? Offer him more money (negates #1 above)? And if you trade him--and get a promising return for the Panthers--then you're had too (see #2).

3. Make the playoffs. I'm still a true, hopeful--perhaps delusional--believer . But to me it appears that cutting salary isn't condusive to making the playoffs. Keeping Bouwmeester is, I'll grant you that, but his playing a lot bettter (I still like the guy and am impressed with him, by the way) would probably do more toward attaining item #3 than anything else.

As I see it, if the story is true, miss any one of the three and you're fired. That's unfair and stupid. I agree with the other posters, the Panthers are on the right track. Slow and steady. Martin has done a good job of putting together a strong defensive corps. I don't know if people here (or the owner) watch a lot tof other games--but we do have a darned good defensive corps--with or without Bouwmeester. I looked at the conference standings before the Red Wings game and saw that, with a win, we'd be in about ninth place. And we're still not that far off.

If fBouwmeester leaves, the Panthers should get a good return--which can be used to improve the front lines. Look at what's at the back; Ballard, Boynton, Allen, Skrastings, McCabe, Cullimore. That's pretty darned good.

Slow and steady. We're on the right track. Everyone here is right.

Panthers/Leafs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 11:21 AM
Panthers/Leafs fan

Just had another thought--leave Martin alone and let him put together a winner. There's your three million dollars right there!

Panthers/Leafs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 11:25 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

:Sigh:

I hope this doesn't mean we are going to trade our 1st. IMO we have a very good chance to be a lottery pick team.

How does he expect JM to sign Bouw, cut 3 mil, AND make the playoffs???? He must be a freaking crackhead. Fine, when you fire JM after he doesn't meet your demands, then who are you going to hire as GM? Jay Feaster???????? Probably. Just sell this team, Cohen. You're an absolute joke.

Last edited by Acadmus: 11-17-2008 at 05:22 AM.
Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 11:32 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
Skrastins is the only vet with value and he's been solid this season. We couldn't give away Smurphy on waivers so I doubt we'll be able to get rid of Peltonen, Dvorak or anyone else for that matter.

It's funny that Cohen "opens his wallet" and JM makes these long-term signings that pay more now to guys like Weiss, Horton and Olesz to save more later when they could command more $ on the open market, then says cut 3 million in the 1st quarter of the season? Are you kidding me? You can't just cut 3 million like Pride says: Houdini magic! LOL This is hilarious, if true.

Doesn't Cohen grasp that guys like Dvo, Pelts, and Zednik will come off the books next year so there's your 3 million. Plus, if you sign Bouwmeester, his salary could increase the payroll by at least 3 million considering he's making 4+ now and could get as much as 7. I don't get the logic in this...

Good luck signing Bouwmeester period for that matter. Maybe Cohen is just setting Martin up for the axe if we don't make the playoffs. Then he can say I had 3 things for the GM to do and he couldn't do any of them so I fired him. Makes sense from that angle.
True, but Cohen doesn't really have to placate anyone. He's the owner. If Bouw leaves, that's on JM's shoulders for not putting together a competitive enough team to win. That's not on Cohen. We all know he was willing to shell out the big bucks to re-sign Bouw. And if he's ordering JM to resign Bouw AND cut 3 mil, then that's just contradictory. That means we'd have to basically give away Skratch or Boynton for free. Then that really reduces our chances of making the playoffs. So he's not helping his own case there with the fans. Cutting the 3 mil from the budget part is the strange part to me if he's worrying about how he's perceived by the fans, especially since his budget is already 5 mil away from the cap.

Old
11-16-2008, 11:37 AM
Montsy14

vCash: 50
Good, I like the pressure he is putting on Martin, hopefully the desperation slips down to the players too

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 11:46 AM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
:Sigh:

I hope this doesn't mean we are going to trade our 1st. IMO we have a very good chance to be a lottery pick team.

How does he expect JM to sign Bouw, cut 3 mil, AND make the playoffs???? He must be a freaking crackhead. Fine, when you fire JM after he doesn't meet your demands, then who are you going to hire as GM? Jay Feaster???????? Probably. Just sell this team, Cohen. You're an absolute joke.
Trade our 1st? I didn't really read it like that before I read your post MisterBouw. These demands of Cohen are so illogical that he has confused me totally. So, are we trying to make the playoffs and keep Bouw as an integral part of that team, or are we shedding payroll and rebuilding? Cohen must be in trouble financially. Anyway, the 1st must not be traded. Bouw can go, but not the 1st.

Last edited by Acadmus: 11-17-2008 at 05:22 AM. Reason: editing out deleted part of quote
Old
11-16-2008, 11:47 AM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
Good, I like the pressure he is putting on Martin, hopefully the desperation slips down to the players too
He's three games late...

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 11:50 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Yeah great, we'll end up trading our 1st, trading Skrastins and Kreps for 3rd rounders, and still have to end up trading Bouw and probably still come just short of missing the playoffs again, except this time we'll be without a 1st in the best draft since 2003. Or will we keep Bouw past the deadline and then he leaves as a UFA???? Great. Lovely. Love where this franchise is headed.

Old
11-16-2008, 11:54 AM
Tuco

Quote:
Yeah great, we'll end up trading our 1st, trading Skrastins and Kreps for 3rd rounders, and still have to end up trading Bouw and probably still come just short of missing the playoffs again, except this time we'll be without a 1st in the best draft since 2003. Or will we keep Bouw past the deadline and then he leaves as a UFA???? Great. Lovely. Love where this franchise is headed.
Nonono, Skrastins cannot go anywhere, we need him when Bouw leaves. It's clear that Bouw needs to go also if payroll needs to be cut. Otherwise it's not possible to save 3 mil from current levels. Unless we trade Horton for picks aswell.

Old
11-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Trade our 1st? I didn't really read it like that before I read your post MisterBouw. These demands of Cohen are so illogical that he has confused me totally. So, are we trying to make the playoffs and keep Bouw as an integral part of that team, or are we shedding payroll and rebuilding? Cohen must be in trouble financially. Anyway, the 1st must not be traded. Bouw can go, but not the 1st.
Well, from the sounds of this story if it's true, Cohen wants to make the playoffs and sign Jay, but he ALSO wants to shed 3 mil from the payroll, which will most likely decrease our chances of making the playoffs. So we'll probably hurt our roster and not make the playoffs anyway, and having to end up trading Jay anyway(or not!!!???). Maybe lose Jay for nothing this summer???? It's a scary thought. And if Martin is being told make the playoffs or you're fired, then I definitely think he'd seriously consider moving the 1st. Cohen is just a freaking retard. He has no idea how to run a team. He fired Dudley prematurely, and now he is stepping in and making ridiculous demands of JM, which will probably end up in him getting fired anyway, and also end up in our trading away our 1st. I do hope he's in financial trouble and I hope someone buys the team from him SOON. We'll never win anything with him at the helm.

Old
11-16-2008, 12:00 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Nonono, Skrastins cannot go anywhere, we need him when Bouw leaves. It's clear that Bouw needs to go also if payroll needs to be cut. Otherwise it's not possible to save 3 mil from current levels. Unless we trade Horton for picks aswell.
Yes, but Cohen wants to re-sign Jay AND cut 3 mil. AND make the playoffs. So the only ones we could logically trade that other teams would want are Kreps, maybe Olesz, Skrastins, and Boynton. Otherwise you are talking about trading Stillman, Horton, Weiss, etc., and that's going to hurt our playoff chances even more.

I'll say it again, Cohen has no idea how to run a hockey team. Martin can't possibly meet all three of his demands without seriously sacrificing our future. The man is a freaking moron.

Old
11-16-2008, 12:00 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Well, from the sounds of this story if it's true, Cohen wants to make the playoffs and sign Jay, but he ALSO wants to shed 3 mil from the payroll, which will most likely decrease our chances of making the playoffs. So we'll probably hurt our roster and not make the playoffs anyway, and having to end up trading Jay anyway(or not!!!???). Maybe lose Jay for nothing this summer???? It's a scary thought. And if Martin is being told make the playoffs or you're fired, then I definitely think he'd seriously consider moving the 1st. Cohen is just a freaking retard. He has no idea how to run a team. He fired Dudley prematurely, and now he is stepping in and making ridiculous demands of JM, which will probably end up in him getting fired anyway, and also end up in our trading away our 1st. I do hope he's in financial trouble and I hope someone buys the team from him SOON. We'll never win anything with him at the helm.
Yeah, this is... I don't know what to say.... I hate it when someone so dumb and unpredictable is running the show.

Old
11-16-2008, 12:12 PM
jol

Maybe it's a combination of bad stock market (cohen losing money) and team being very expensive and arena's weak ticket revenues (btw team canceled already that $25 surcharge for certain games).
Does anybody know how many season ticket holders Panthers have?

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 12:17 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Very interesting. I really pull for your franchise. I am a red wing fan second and a hockey fan first. I hate seeing franchises like yours and atlanta run into the ground. I really, really hope you guys can work something out with J-Bo as you really do have a intriguing team from what i saw the other night. I have vouched that i am a fan of Frolik and think is is something special, but i really hope Florida can pull through.

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 12:23 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers/Leafs fan View Post
Just had another thought--leave Martin alone and let him put together a winner. There's your three million dollars right there!
Absolutely. Imo, Garrioch isn't too far behind Eklund. Spector is constantly taking apart his musings, so I'm not going to put a ton of stock into this, but...

As someone else said, this is the same guy fired and then re-hired Keenan. He needs to keep his damn hands off of this otganization. Had he allowed Martin to do his job at the deadline, Olli wouldn't have thought he was untouchable. If Bouw wants to move on, he's going to move on, and he's been playing as though that's exactly what he wants. Stay away Cohen, especially since you admitted that you dont know a whole lot about hockey. Better yet, just sell the team and go away.

You want to save 3 mil, don't fire Martin and let him do his job.

Quote:
What pressure? All he's doing is sticking his nose where it's unwelcome and will do little good. Wang, Cohen, and Wartz must've all been close.

11-16-2008, 12:48 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
So does Cohen enjoy ruining a team once it gets hope, to only let it start over again? Come on, Martin is starting do some good and he wants to throw ridiculous demands on him? Cohen is a terrible owner, and should leave Martin alone. Stick to what you know Cohen, sell the team to Ballsillie, you have no clue man.

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 12:50 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Besides Garrioch, has this story been further substantiated?

We might be getting worked up here for what might be an exaggeration of the truth.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 12:52 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmanfu View Post
Besides Garrioch, has this story been further substantiated?

We might be getting worked up here for what might be an exaggeration of the truth.
The sad thing is I don't think any Panther fan would be shocked if this WAS further substantiated, and I think a lot of us were just waiting to hear something like this sooner or later. This sound totally like Cohen.

Old
11-16-2008, 12:57 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
The sad thing is I don't think any Panther fan would be shocked if this WAS further substantiated, and I think a lot of us were just waiting to hear something like this sooner or later. This sound totally like Cohen.
You're absolutely right, which is what could give Garrioch the free ride to throw out such a sensationalized rumor.

IMO, if Cohen has truly reverted to old ways, he would be belligerent enough to just come out and publicly demand something like this.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote