HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nylander trade watch

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-01-2009, 05:31 PM
  #926
Langway
Moderator
Intangibles
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,654
vCash: 500
Sad to hear, though. He's had a pretty solid season for the Habs, leading the team in goals to this point after getting his 18th today.

You'd have to think Gainey will be working the phones looking for a center. A rental would seem more likely but you never know.

With Lang put on LTIR, I think they might be able to squeeze him under the cap.

This might put the outcry for them to acquire Lecavalier to a fever pitch.

Langway is offline  
Old
02-01-2009, 05:39 PM
  #927
C-A-P-S
Registered User
 
C-A-P-S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,031
vCash: 500
Yeah, I think the tough issue with a MTL trade would be the term of Nylander's contract. But here's to hoping.

C-A-P-S is offline  
Old
02-01-2009, 05:41 PM
  #928
pgreene
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,950
vCash: 500
this just means they take vinny, we send nyls to tampa for artyukin or a pick or something.

pgreene is offline  
Old
02-01-2009, 05:50 PM
  #929
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 28,265
vCash: 500
My my count on NHLSCAP.com Habs have 14 players who are UFA or RFA at the end of the year. They could be up for a complete shakeup.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
02-01-2009, 06:03 PM
  #930
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 20,181
vCash: 500
With Koivu possibly not returning and Plekanec having a relative down-year (though I am a fan), Montreal really does seem to be a legitamte possibility.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
02-01-2009, 06:05 PM
  #931
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 20,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efactor View Post
Just thinking out loud, but if Tampa is shopping Stamkos.....

would they take a package of Nylander, Steckel, Morrison, Neuvirth, and our first. Really spare parts to us plus the first which would be late in the round anyway. They get three roster level players, a goalie of the future, and a pick in round one back.
I'd do it, but I'm not GMGM. I'd imagine adding a cheap fourth-liner/3rd pairing type to the Tampa side and a later pick/prospect to the Washington side would help it along.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
02-01-2009, 06:09 PM
  #932
Captain Conservative
Registered User
 
Captain Conservative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: My Blue Heaven
Country: Spain
Posts: 3,847
vCash: 500
I want to officially note that Nylander is playing better. Maybe not as well as we'd hope, but he's been more effective in the last few or so games.

Captain Conservative is offline  
Old
02-01-2009, 06:17 PM
  #933
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 20,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Conservative View Post
I want to officially note that Nylander is playing better. Maybe not as well as we'd hope, but he's been more effective in the last few or so games.
You should officailly note that in a fax to all NHL GMs

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
02-01-2009, 07:01 PM
  #934
txpd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 43,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I'd do it, but I'm not GMGM. I'd imagine adding a cheap fourth-liner/3rd pairing type to the Tampa side and a later pick/prospect to the Washington side would help it along.
Your cool with taking three players off the Caps current roster, plus a sure fire NHL goalie, plus a first round pick, plus a 4th roster player and another draft choice for a kid that is not ready for the NHL?

There is NO CHANCE that McPhee does that.

txpd is online now  
Old
02-01-2009, 07:13 PM
  #935
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 20,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Your cool with taking three players off the Caps current roster, plus a sure fire NHL goalie, plus a first round pick, plus a 4th roster player and another draft choice for a kid that is not ready for the NHL?

There is NO CHANCE that McPhee does that.
I meant Tampa sends an additional roster player to Washington, and Washington sends a later pick to Tampa.

But other than that, I absolutely would. I don't think Mo's here beyond this season unless Schultz gets moved, I would move Nylander for just about anything, and I think Steckel is expendable.

Varlamov is ahead of Neuvirth in the organizational depth chart, and the 1st rounder is going to be in the late 20s.

Stamkos, while he may not be ready right now, is going to be a stud. He'd be the second line center after next season in my eyes.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
02-01-2009, 07:50 PM
  #936
CapsChemist
Registered User
 
CapsChemist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: State College
Country: United States
Posts: 1,266
vCash: 500
It's funny how it took 2/3 of a season for BB's original plan to take effect. Three scoring lines all contributing equally.

If we keep this up for a few more games then I think GMGM will be hesitant to trade away Nylander, cap space and all.

Now that he has Semin on his wing I think that will appease him and he will start playing up to his potential.

The only contract we need moved right now is Chris Clark.

CapsChemist is offline  
Old
02-01-2009, 08:04 PM
  #937
Chimaera
same ol' Caps
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: La Plata, Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 22,037
vCash: 500
stamkos makes little sense. He's getting decent coin right now with the bonuses factored in. Add that to him needing a good solid deal in a few years, and frankly, there isn't room for him right at this point.

Chimaera is offline  
Old
02-01-2009, 08:10 PM
  #938
txpd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 43,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I meant Tampa sends an additional roster player to Washington, and Washington sends a later pick to Tampa.

But other than that, I absolutely would. I don't think Mo's here beyond this season unless Schultz gets moved, I would move Nylander for just about anything, and I think Steckel is expendable.

Varlamov is ahead of Neuvirth in the organizational depth chart, and the 1st rounder is going to be in the late 20s.

Stamkos, while he may not be ready right now, is going to be a stud. He'd be the second line center after next season in my eyes.
Stamkos is not for sale and so this is wasted energy, but you would would move three roster players at the trade deadline?

You think TB is going to trade a first overall pick less than a year out for cast offs and don't needs? The only thing in that package that makes is worth anything to a rebuilding team other than the 1st is Nuevirth and Tampa Doesn't need a goalie.

txpd is online now  
Old
02-01-2009, 08:22 PM
  #939
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 20,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Stamkos is not for sale and so this is wasted energy, but you would would move three roster players at the trade deadline?

You think TB is going to trade a first overall pick less than a year out for cast offs and don't needs? The only thing in that package that makes is worth anything to a rebuilding team other than the 1st is Nuevirth and Tampa Doesn't need a goalie.
Yeah, I would. And I never said Tampa bay would do it, I just said I would.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
02-01-2009, 09:17 PM
  #940
TheGoldenJet
Registered User
 
TheGoldenJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,256
vCash: 500
I do think it's time to trade him now. This team definitely does not need him (as evidenced by tonight's game against Ottawa).

On second thought, maybe it's best to wait for the trade deadline...

TheGoldenJet is online now  
Old
02-02-2009, 12:19 AM
  #941
Joneyman
Registered User
 
Joneyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenJet View Post
I do think it's time to trade him now. This team definitely does not need him (as evidenced by tonight's game against Ottawa).

On second thought, maybe it's best to wait for the trade deadline...
This is the first time all season I've wanted Nylander on the team. Maybe it was playing against an over-matched Sens, but I really liked him with Semin and Laich. I'd love to give him another four or five games to prove he can click as a 2B center.

Joneyman is offline  
Old
02-02-2009, 12:30 AM
  #942
C-A-P-S
Registered User
 
C-A-P-S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,031
vCash: 500
I've always thought if Nylander would flourish he was going to need an opportunity to play with decent wingers. Pairing him with Clark sadly wasn't going to get it done.

That said, the best thing is for this guy to get on a hot streak and hopefully move him at the deadline. The extra cash will be invaluable to acquire a defenseman who can help us at the deadline. Plus it allows the Caps to recall Alzner.

C-A-P-S is offline  
Old
02-02-2009, 12:33 AM
  #943
CapsWolverinesUSA
Registered User
 
CapsWolverinesUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneyman View Post
This is the first time all season I've wanted Nylander on the team. Maybe it was playing against an over-matched Sens, but I really liked him with Semin and Laich. I'd love to give him another four or five games to prove he can click as a 2B center.
While I too feel a little better about how he's playing than at any point since the first week of the season, you'd have to be on crack to turn down a trade if we get an offer for him that does not involve taking back salary (not to mention a deal for a useful player). Any straight-up offer. For a 6th round pick. For a low level prospect. For a bag of pucks and future consideration. Anything. We have an incredibly deep farm system and draft picks to burn. We can acquire another 2B center at the deadline who fits our system and is either a pending UFA or has only 1 year left on a deal.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline  
Old
02-02-2009, 11:10 AM
  #944
TheGoldenJet
Registered User
 
TheGoldenJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
While I too feel a little better about how he's playing than at any point since the first week of the season, you'd have to be on crack to turn down a trade if we get an offer for him that does not involve taking back salary (not to mention a deal for a useful player). Any straight-up offer. For a 6th round pick. For a low level prospect. For a bag of pucks and future consideration. Anything. We have an incredibly deep farm system and draft picks to burn. We can acquire another 2B center at the deadline who fits our system and is either a pending UFA or has only 1 year left on a deal.
Well said.

TheGoldenJet is online now  
Old
02-02-2009, 11:15 AM
  #945
strungout
Professional Killer
 
strungout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 29,570
vCash: 500
Here's hoping Mafki is in Gainey's ear for the next month straight. Call him about anything...whenever.

"Hey there Bob. How was breakfast this morning? Really? That sucks, but at least they weren't raw. So hey...Michael Nylander...he can spin like you couldn't believe."

strungout is online now  
Old
02-02-2009, 12:26 PM
  #946
C-A-P-S
Registered User
 
C-A-P-S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
"Hey there Bob. How was breakfast this morning? Really? That sucks, but at least they weren't raw. So hey...Michael Nylander...he can spin like you couldn't believe."
Gainey: "Right round?"
GMGM: "Right round, baby."
Gainey: "Right round like a record?"
GMGM: "Right round round round."
Gainey: "Deal"

C-A-P-S is offline  
Old
02-02-2009, 12:55 PM
  #947
sk84fun_dc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 16,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Schultz is waiver exempt, he's still on his entry-level contract.
Schultz is waiver exempt for now... 146 games played...160 played and he will no longer be waiver exempt.

link to post in contracts thread

However, it has nothing to do with the fact that he is on his ELC.


Lepisto - Similar sentiment as Strungout's and some others. Since there is now a Caps Finnish prospect thread, I guess I'll add my thoughts there instead of here, but agree Lepisto appears to be a strong candidate for trading a prospect d-man.

About Patrick McNeill, having watched him play, he was playing well before the rib injury and then the return of the call-ups. Unfortunately, he's in a numbers game in Hershey at the moment. He's undersized for a dman and over the last few years, he has suffered several injuries incurred from hits (delivered and received), but he does move the puck effectively and his consistency in positioning and coverage decisions are improved this season, IMO. He doesn't spend much time in the box either, which is a plus.

sk84fun_dc is offline  
Old
02-02-2009, 03:35 PM
  #948
Nacho
Special
 
Nacho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Greenland
Posts: 2,017
vCash: 500
Funny thing... Federov has been invisible playing with the same linemates that Nylander has, but when he gets to play on the 1st line, boom 3 points... Now is it the wingers or centers that are at fault...

Nacho is offline  
Old
02-02-2009, 03:38 PM
  #949
strungout
Professional Killer
 
strungout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 29,570
vCash: 500
Do you have....feelings...for Nylander?

strungout is online now  
Old
02-02-2009, 03:40 PM
  #950
pgreene
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Do you have....feelings...for Nylander?
since i'm fairly certain s/he's nylander's wife, i'd go with yes. hey mrs. nylander, i hear columbus if lovely this time of year. you guys should totally move there.

pgreene is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.