HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nylander trade watch

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2009, 05:31 PM
Langway
Intangibles

vCash: 500
Sad to hear, though. He's had a pretty solid season for the Habs, leading the team in goals to this point after getting his 18th today.

You'd have to think Gainey will be working the phones looking for a center. A rental would seem more likely but you never know.

With Lang put on LTIR, I think they might be able to squeeze him under the cap.

This might put the outcry for them to acquire Lecavalier to a fever pitch.

Old
02-01-2009, 05:39 PM
C-A-P-S

Yeah, I think the tough issue with a MTL trade would be the term of Nylander's contract. But here's to hoping.

Old
02-01-2009, 05:41 PM
pgreene

this just means they take vinny, we send nyls to tampa for artyukin or a pick or something.

Old
02-01-2009, 05:50 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

My my count on NHLSCAP.com Habs have 14 players who are UFA or RFA at the end of the year. They could be up for a complete shakeup.

Old
02-01-2009, 06:03 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

With Koivu possibly not returning and Plekanec having a relative down-year (though I am a fan), Montreal really does seem to be a legitamte possibility.

Old
02-01-2009, 06:05 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efactor View Post
Just thinking out loud, but if Tampa is shopping Stamkos.....

would they take a package of Nylander, Steckel, Morrison, Neuvirth, and our first. Really spare parts to us plus the first which would be late in the round anyway. They get three roster level players, a goalie of the future, and a pick in round one back.
I'd do it, but I'm not GMGM. I'd imagine adding a cheap fourth-liner/3rd pairing type to the Tampa side and a later pick/prospect to the Washington side would help it along.

Old
02-01-2009, 06:09 PM
Captain Conservative

I want to officially note that Nylander is playing better. Maybe not as well as we'd hope, but he's been more effective in the last few or so games.

Old
02-01-2009, 06:17 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Conservative View Post
I want to officially note that Nylander is playing better. Maybe not as well as we'd hope, but he's been more effective in the last few or so games.
You should officailly note that in a fax to all NHL GMs

Old
02-01-2009, 07:01 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I'd do it, but I'm not GMGM. I'd imagine adding a cheap fourth-liner/3rd pairing type to the Tampa side and a later pick/prospect to the Washington side would help it along.
Your cool with taking three players off the Caps current roster, plus a sure fire NHL goalie, plus a first round pick, plus a 4th roster player and another draft choice for a kid that is not ready for the NHL?

There is NO CHANCE that McPhee does that.

Old
02-01-2009, 07:13 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Your cool with taking three players off the Caps current roster, plus a sure fire NHL goalie, plus a first round pick, plus a 4th roster player and another draft choice for a kid that is not ready for the NHL?

There is NO CHANCE that McPhee does that.
I meant Tampa sends an additional roster player to Washington, and Washington sends a later pick to Tampa.

But other than that, I absolutely would. I don't think Mo's here beyond this season unless Schultz gets moved, I would move Nylander for just about anything, and I think Steckel is expendable.

Varlamov is ahead of Neuvirth in the organizational depth chart, and the 1st rounder is going to be in the late 20s.

Stamkos, while he may not be ready right now, is going to be a stud. He'd be the second line center after next season in my eyes.

Old
02-01-2009, 07:50 PM
CapsChemist

It's funny how it took 2/3 of a season for BB's original plan to take effect. Three scoring lines all contributing equally.

If we keep this up for a few more games then I think GMGM will be hesitant to trade away Nylander, cap space and all.

Now that he has Semin on his wing I think that will appease him and he will start playing up to his potential.

The only contract we need moved right now is Chris Clark.

Old
02-01-2009, 08:04 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

stamkos makes little sense. He's getting decent coin right now with the bonuses factored in. Add that to him needing a good solid deal in a few years, and frankly, there isn't room for him right at this point.

Old
02-01-2009, 08:10 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I meant Tampa sends an additional roster player to Washington, and Washington sends a later pick to Tampa.

But other than that, I absolutely would. I don't think Mo's here beyond this season unless Schultz gets moved, I would move Nylander for just about anything, and I think Steckel is expendable.

Varlamov is ahead of Neuvirth in the organizational depth chart, and the 1st rounder is going to be in the late 20s.

Stamkos, while he may not be ready right now, is going to be a stud. He'd be the second line center after next season in my eyes.
Stamkos is not for sale and so this is wasted energy, but you would would move three roster players at the trade deadline?

You think TB is going to trade a first overall pick less than a year out for cast offs and don't needs? The only thing in that package that makes is worth anything to a rebuilding team other than the 1st is Nuevirth and Tampa Doesn't need a goalie.

Old
02-01-2009, 08:22 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Stamkos is not for sale and so this is wasted energy, but you would would move three roster players at the trade deadline?

You think TB is going to trade a first overall pick less than a year out for cast offs and don't needs? The only thing in that package that makes is worth anything to a rebuilding team other than the 1st is Nuevirth and Tampa Doesn't need a goalie.
Yeah, I would. And I never said Tampa bay would do it, I just said I would.

Old
02-01-2009, 09:17 PM
TheGoldenJet

I do think it's time to trade him now. This team definitely does not need him (as evidenced by tonight's game against Ottawa).

On second thought, maybe it's best to wait for the trade deadline...

Old
02-02-2009, 12:19 AM
Joneyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenJet View Post
I do think it's time to trade him now. This team definitely does not need him (as evidenced by tonight's game against Ottawa).

On second thought, maybe it's best to wait for the trade deadline...
This is the first time all season I've wanted Nylander on the team. Maybe it was playing against an over-matched Sens, but I really liked him with Semin and Laich. I'd love to give him another four or five games to prove he can click as a 2B center.

Old
02-02-2009, 12:30 AM
C-A-P-S

I've always thought if Nylander would flourish he was going to need an opportunity to play with decent wingers. Pairing him with Clark sadly wasn't going to get it done.

That said, the best thing is for this guy to get on a hot streak and hopefully move him at the deadline. The extra cash will be invaluable to acquire a defenseman who can help us at the deadline. Plus it allows the Caps to recall Alzner.

Old
02-02-2009, 12:33 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneyman View Post
This is the first time all season I've wanted Nylander on the team. Maybe it was playing against an over-matched Sens, but I really liked him with Semin and Laich. I'd love to give him another four or five games to prove he can click as a 2B center.
While I too feel a little better about how he's playing than at any point since the first week of the season, you'd have to be on crack to turn down a trade if we get an offer for him that does not involve taking back salary (not to mention a deal for a useful player). Any straight-up offer. For a 6th round pick. For a low level prospect. For a bag of pucks and future consideration. Anything. We have an incredibly deep farm system and draft picks to burn. We can acquire another 2B center at the deadline who fits our system and is either a pending UFA or has only 1 year left on a deal.

Old
02-02-2009, 11:10 AM
TheGoldenJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
While I too feel a little better about how he's playing than at any point since the first week of the season, you'd have to be on crack to turn down a trade if we get an offer for him that does not involve taking back salary (not to mention a deal for a useful player). Any straight-up offer. For a 6th round pick. For a low level prospect. For a bag of pucks and future consideration. Anything. We have an incredibly deep farm system and draft picks to burn. We can acquire another 2B center at the deadline who fits our system and is either a pending UFA or has only 1 year left on a deal.
Well said.

Old
02-02-2009, 11:15 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Here's hoping Mafki is in Gainey's ear for the next month straight. Call him about anything...whenever.

"Hey there Bob. How was breakfast this morning? Really? That sucks, but at least they weren't raw. So hey...Michael Nylander...he can spin like you couldn't believe."

Old
02-02-2009, 12:26 PM
C-A-P-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
"Hey there Bob. How was breakfast this morning? Really? That sucks, but at least they weren't raw. So hey...Michael Nylander...he can spin like you couldn't believe."
Gainey: "Right round?"
GMGM: "Right round, baby."
Gainey: "Right round like a record?"
GMGM: "Right round round round."
Gainey: "Deal"

Old
02-02-2009, 12:55 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Schultz is waiver exempt, he's still on his entry-level contract.
Schultz is waiver exempt for now... 146 games played...160 played and he will no longer be waiver exempt.

link to post in contracts thread

However, it has nothing to do with the fact that he is on his ELC.

Lepisto - Similar sentiment as Strungout's and some others. Since there is now a Caps Finnish prospect thread, I guess I'll add my thoughts there instead of here, but agree Lepisto appears to be a strong candidate for trading a prospect d-man.

About Patrick McNeill, having watched him play, he was playing well before the rib injury and then the return of the call-ups. Unfortunately, he's in a numbers game in Hershey at the moment. He's undersized for a dman and over the last few years, he has suffered several injuries incurred from hits (delivered and received), but he does move the puck effectively and his consistency in positioning and coverage decisions are improved this season, IMO. He doesn't spend much time in the box either, which is a plus.

Old
02-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Nacho
Special

Funny thing... Federov has been invisible playing with the same linemates that Nylander has, but when he gets to play on the 1st line, boom 3 points... Now is it the wingers or centers that are at fault...

Old
02-02-2009, 03:38 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Do you have....feelings...for Nylander?

Old
02-02-2009, 03:40 PM
pgreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Do you have....feelings...for Nylander?
since i'm fairly certain s/he's nylander's wife, i'd go with yes. hey mrs. nylander, i hear columbus if lovely this time of year. you guys should totally move there.

Closed Thread