HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Nylander trade watch

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2008, 12:41 PM
Foy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Well since he'd only be playing at most half a season....yeah...5 or 6 sounds about right.

But I don't see him picking Chicago anyways...I was just throwing it out there as a possible ploy for the Hawks filling that veteran center void.
the Cap hit for the remainder of the season would only by 5 or 6, for the entire season, pro rated, he'd make like 3.5-4.

Old
11-17-2008, 12:44 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
If I was another teams GM, i let GMGM and Chicago squirm for a while and pay the price for choosing to have no cap room. You want a jack stacked team, have fun. Then sit back and laugh when the injuries start piling up. GMGM is going to be bent over a barrel. Other teams will try and loot us because they know we are dying for cap room. He can no longer be secretive, and that hurts us. Plus GMGM hates to make deals where he thinks he loses value, and like most GM's, won't make that deal. GMGM is going to have to sacrifice value to get measley cap room, that he seemingly cares so little about. If he cares so little about cap room, I dont see him allowing our team to get looted on the cheap.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 11-17-2008 at 01:22 PM.
Old
11-17-2008, 12:57 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Nylander, Lepisto, 2nd = 5,575,000
for
Sopel, Byfuglien = 5,333,333

Hawks take on $241,667 or they can keep Lepisto in AHL for time being, fit under the cap, and keep Khabibluin around for ahwile.

Note - I'm not condoning this. Just throwing it out there.

Old
11-17-2008, 01:00 PM
txpd

thats movement for the sake of movement. mcphee has not shown much interest in that kind of thing.

Old
11-17-2008, 01:01 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Bah...that deal sucks for Chicago.

I don't know how this is going to work.

Old
11-17-2008, 01:09 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

By simple cap calculations, the team right now that can take on greater salary (<$500,000) is Washington, not Chicago. The Caps have slightly more cap space than Chicago at present.

It's a mess. At this point, dumping him to Vancouver might not be the worst idea.

Old
11-17-2008, 01:10 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Vancouver works for me.

Old
11-17-2008, 01:13 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Vancouver works for me.
Nylander + 1st rounder or Morrisonn for Ohlund

Old
11-17-2008, 01:14 PM
Maryland17

Work a 3-way with the Avs, they have a good deal of cap room and plenty of $$ coming off the books in the offseason including Habby if he goes there.

Avs gets Habby and WSH Prospect + Chi Prospect (Avs have about 2.5-3 million in Cap relief)

Caps get Brett Clark and Ladd (Caps have about1.5 Million in Cap relief)

Hawks get Nylander and Draft Pick(have about 2 million in Cap Relief)

Very approx numbers.

Old
11-17-2008, 01:14 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Nylander plus for Ohlund is a good start, but there is no need to offer a first. He's a pending UFA. A good one, but Nylander is also a quality player, and Gillis values him.

Nylander and Morrisonn for Ohlund and a 2nd rounder, perhaps.

Old
11-17-2008, 01:15 PM
Maryland17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Nylander + 1st rounder or Morrisonn for Ohlund
Has it be mentioned or is it known that Nyls would waive the NMC to play in Vancouver?

Old
11-17-2008, 01:18 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
If they can solve their center problem and still retain both goalies until they are confident in the one they are prepared to keep, I think that would be the Chicago preference. Would they give up youth to do it? Maybe so.
Agreed. As alluded to, Sopel and Byfuglien seem like the guys to move in that scenario...especially if they're confident that their contributions can be replaced. Neither have been setting the world on fire so far and they have sufficient prospect depth where losing Byfuglien isn't that big of a deal. The numbers he's put up so far shouldn't be that difficult to replace but it may be too early for them to give up on him given what he produced last season. Maybe another month of inconsistent play--coupled with Brouwer playing better--and they'd be more open to the idea.

I'd stay away from Sopel given the number of years on his contract and the organization's depth on defense. If he was a rental or had just one more season on his deal it'd be different.

I don't get the sense that Vancouver is a player but that's just a guess based on some of Gillis' comments. Chicago seems like the only serious player in the game and that in itself might allow them to not rush into a deal and take their time.

Old
11-17-2008, 01:39 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Agreed. As alluded to, Sopel and Byfuglien seem like the guys to move in that scenario...especially if they're confident that their contributions can be replaced. Neither have been setting the world on fire so far and they have sufficient prospect depth where losing Byfuglien isn't that big of a deal. The numbers he's put up so far shouldn't be that difficult to replace but it may be too early for them to give up on him given what he produced last season. Maybe another month of inconsistent play--coupled with Brouwer playing better--and they'd be more open to the idea.

I'd stay away from Sopel given the number of years on his contract and the organization's depth on defense. If he was a rental or had just one more season on his deal it'd be different.

I don't get the sense that Vancouver is a player but that's just a guess based on some of Gillis' comments. Chicago seems like the only serious player in the game and that in itself might allow them to not rush into a deal and take their time.
The Blackhawks rejected a trade of Byfuglien for Nylander last week. Chicago believes that Byfuglien helps them in the present. Not as much as last year, but they count on him for offense and believe he is going to rebound.

It's because the Caps cannot get Byfuglien that Barker is on the table as the centerpiece going the other way. If Barker is part of a package, I doubt that Sopel would also be traded, unless the Caps are adding a defenseman of their own.

Chicago can lose one defenseman, but not two, and the talks seem to have moved from Byfuglien to Barker.

Granted, both Chicago and Washington have other irons in the fire.

Old
11-17-2008, 01:47 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Old
11-17-2008, 01:58 PM
cleaver
We're touched thanks

Leave Nyls alone! You're lucky he even performed for you ********!

jk I don't really care.

Old
11-17-2008, 02:03 PM
txpd

Quote:
The Blackhawks rejected a trade of Byfuglien for Nylander last week. Chicago believes that Byfuglien helps them in the present. Not as much as last year, but they count on him for offense and believe he is going to rebound.

It's because the Caps cannot get Byfuglien that Barker is on the table as the centerpiece going the other way. If Barker is part of a package, I doubt that Sopel would also be traded, unless the Caps are adding a defenseman of their own.

Chicago can lose one defenseman, but not two, and the talks seem to have moved from Byfuglien to Barker.

Granted, both Chicago and Washington have other irons in the fire.
I have very little confidence in the accuracy on that Byfuglien report. McPhee trades are just never telegraphed like that on either side of the equation.

Old
11-17-2008, 02:16 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
McPhee trades are just never telegraphed like that on either side of the equation.
What exactly do you mean by that?

Old
11-17-2008, 02:30 PM
pgreene

Quote:
What exactly do you mean by that?
i think he's saying you typically have no idea what, if anything, is going down until it's announced. you know,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg theundertaker.jpg‎ (15.5 KB, 6 views)

Old
11-17-2008, 02:32 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

McPhee has zero control over how tightly kept are negotiations in Chicago's front office. If the Chicago front office is leaky, there is nothing McPhee can do about it, no matter how tight a ship McPhee is keeping.

Old
11-17-2008, 02:34 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
McPhee has zero control over how tightly kept are negotiations in Chicago's front office. If the Chicago front office is leaky, there is nothing McPhee can do about it, no matter how tight a ship McPhee is keeping.
Exactly.

Everything being reported...by everyone...is Chicago based. Not DC based.

Old
11-17-2008, 02:43 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I have very little confidence in the accuracy on that Byfuglien report. McPhee trades are just never telegraphed like that on either side of the equation.
You mean like when everyone knew Jagr was going to NYC?

Old
11-17-2008, 02:56 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
True, although Chicago couldn't have even made that swap if they wanted to without some roster shuffling in the first place in order to stay under the cap.

Shooting down a deal now may not mean it won't be considered at a later date depending on performance. Tallon has said that he doesn't want to subtract from his top 6 and Byfuglien notably isn't part of the top 6 these days. If he continues to slump then perhaps that's something that becomes more attractive down the line. (Sort of similar to the Pettinger for Cooke deal that GMGM reportedly held off on for months while giving Pettinger a chance to turn things around...albeit on larger scale.) He just seems like the obvious choice to move out of any of their forwards, if they move one of them. I don't think he'd be an ideal pickup but it would shed some salary and add another big body to an already big lineup.

If I'm Tallon I move Byfuglien before Barker. I could see Barker being moved potentially but in a package for Nylander it seems too good to be true minus some other decent assets going back to Chicago.

The flipside on all of this is what if Nylander turns things around in DC? With Fedorov still ailing, Nylander should have more of an opportunity to play with better linemates. If he can start to return to form then maybe Washington isn't as gung ho about ridding themselves of his contract. That would be one risk in Chicago waiting...although as has been noted it's probably going to take a precursor move in order for there to be a fit.

Old
11-17-2008, 03:12 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Chicago is really pressed to win now, and right now, Byfuglien is more of an impact player than is Barker, who has learning still to do at this level, at one of the more demanding positions to play.

Old
11-17-2008, 03:35 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Chicago is really pressed to win now, and right now, Byfuglien is more of an impact player than is Barker, who has learning still to do at this level, at one of the more demanding positions to play.
Barker, Ladd and Byfuglien aren't going anywhere!

Ladd-Bolland-Byfuglien 3rd line is playing great together and they all are signed to respectable deals and will likely be our 3rd line for a few seasons.

Barker is playing amazing! Hawks aren't going to move him now!

Sharp is playing well as our 2nd line C so we aren't really clamoring for a 2nd line C anymore! We need a 2nd line LW! Brouwer isn't cutting it on line with Sharp-Havlat!

You cant really help us there at all! And the only way Hawks take on Nylander is if you take on our bad long term deal which is Huet! That not gonna happen!

Old
11-17-2008, 03:44 PM
malyk

Holy exclamation points batman!

We're just going off of what the leaks from the chicago front office (apparently) are saying.

I brought up ladd merely because of his salary number knowing nothing about his play this year.

But Byfluglien and Barker look to be being discussed at the very least. I agree that if I'm chicago then I doubt I'd look to trade those guys. If I'm washington I'd love to get barker and wouldn't really want DB, but those are the names we're seeing show up in print.

Closed Thread