HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Senators Interested in a Panthers Defenseman? (Eklund)

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2008, 11:30 AM
Panthers/Leafs fan

vCash: 500
Senators Interested in a Panthers Defenseman? (Eklund)

I think this is hilarious.

"According to an outstanding source, the Ottawa Senators are looking hard at make a trade for a "defenseman from the Panthers." Although many are suspected that they have interest in Bouwmeester, (join the club) it is also possible that they have interest in injured Panther D-man Cory Murphy"

How about Murphy for Spezza (they don't like him much anyway) straight up? (big joke here, totallky kidding so don't rip my ears off )

I'd do that!

Old
11-16-2008, 11:44 AM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers/Leafs fan View Post
I think this is hilarious.

"According to an outstanding source, the Ottawa Senators are looking hard at make a trade for a "defenseman from the Panthers." Although many are suspected that they have interest in Bouwmeester, (join the club) it is also possible that they have interest in injured Panther D-man Cory Murphy"

How about Murphy for Spezza (they don't like him much anyway) straight up? (big joke here, totallky kidding so don't rip my ears off )

I'd do that!
If it's true, then the smart move would be to trade Bouw now, or maybe wait until Jan.1, but trade him soon. I'm sure the Panthers are already getting offers. But if the Garrioch story on Cohen is true, then we're not going to trade him, and probably have to end up trading him at the deadline for picks/prospects instead of players that could have helped us this season. It seems Cohen might be going back on his word to stay out of hockey operations, and once again, be willing to scrap a rebuild plan 2 years in and start going haywire again. I so hope Balsillie buys us soon before Cohen has a chance to do anymore damage. We're better off in Hamilton with an owner that probably knows a lot more about how to run a team, and who can afford to pay great hockey minds to consult with him and advise him on how to run a hockey team. Look at Cohen, who does he have, Yormark??? This guy really doesn't deserve an NHL team, he's like a chicken with his head cut off, running around not knowing what to do.

Old
11-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Panthers/Leafs fan

Good point. And--what kind of great hockey mind would work for this mind of owner?

Old
11-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Tuco

If there's anything to this, I'm afraid it's Skrastins they are interested in...

Old
11-16-2008, 12:02 PM
Panthers/Leafs fan

No way. A good, solid, steady defender. Those don't grow on trees, proverbially speaking.

Old
11-16-2008, 12:08 PM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

I think they're interested in Bouw. Ottawa is really having trouble making breakout passes. They couldn't even move the puck up ice against the Islanders, losing to them 2 games in a row. They need a very good puckmoving d-man, and Bouw fits that profile. I think they could give us a decent package, but Cohen might not let it happen. If he wants to make the playoffs, he should allow Jay to be traded for some forward help, but once again, he has no idea what he's doing.

Old
11-16-2008, 12:10 PM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
Good point. And--what kind of great hockey mind would work for this mind of owner?
None, because he couldn't afford to pay him.

Old
11-16-2008, 12:24 PM
Panthers/Leafs fan

Here's a thought. If it is J-Bo that the Senators are interested in--then they have to know that lots of other teams are interested. We shouldn't forget that there's a lot of pressure on the Senators too. They just lost to the Islanders, and Alfredsson recently called out the team. They're not a good team at the moment.

So if lots of other teams are interested, and Bouw brings just what you need (or think you need) perhaps the Senators would overpay to get him?

Old
11-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
I think they're interested in Bouw. Ottawa is really having trouble making breakout passes. They couldn't even move the puck up ice against the Islanders, losing to them 2 games in a row. They need a very good puckmoving d-man, and Bouw fits that profile. I think they could give us a decent package, but Cohen might not let it happen. If he wants to make the playoffs, he should allow Jay to be traded for some forward help, but once again, he has no idea what he's doing.
Yes, Bouw is the first suspect in all these rumours. Could Ottawa afford his 7 mil?

Old
11-16-2008, 12:28 PM
DaveMatthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Yes, Bouw is the first suspect in all these rumours. Could Ottawa afford his 7 mil?
I'd assume so. Murray offered Campbell 7 million this offseason.

Old
11-16-2008, 12:31 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMatthew View Post
I'd assume so. Murray offered Campbell 7 million this offseason.
Thanks mate, so what could you offer back? We need offense. There was some talk about Spezza on another thread, but..

Old
11-16-2008, 12:37 PM
DaveMatthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Thanks mate, so what could you offer back? We need offense. There was some talk about Spezza on another thread, but..
Personally, I'd be willing to trade Vermette + Schubert/Neil/Kelly + 1st in 09 + 2nd in 10 for Bouwmeester, if he's unsigned.

I'd consider Spezza if Bouwmeester agrees to a longterm extension before the trade.

Old
11-16-2008, 01:37 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Personally, I'd be willing to trade Vermette + Schubert/Neil/Kelly + 1st in 09 + 2nd in 10 for Bouwmeester, if he's unsigned.

I'd consider Spezza if Bouwmeester agrees to a longterm extension before the trade.
I'd take that and RUN, expecting to get tackled by the cops. That deal would make me a very happy camper.

So far as a sign-and-trade, Bouw can't be talked to until January.

I'd like to move Bouw out sooner than later and would like a Vermette-type return back.

11-16-2008, 01:51 PM
Panthers/Leafs fan

Oooh, Chris Neil as part of the deal. He won't let people take a night off. Hated him when he had to play against him, would drool at the thought of him being a Panther. Go! Go! Go!

Old
11-16-2008, 01:56 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Oooh, Chris Neil as part of the deal. He won't let people take a night off. Hated him when he had to play against him, would drool at the thought of him being a Panther. Go! Go! Go!
Yeah, he annoys me right now, but I've been able to see that he's able to transition into what he needs to be for his team. Need an enforcer? he's there. Need a pest? he's there.

Old
11-16-2008, 03:02 PM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Yeah, he annoys me right now, but I've been able to see that he's able to transition into what he needs to be for his team. Need an enforcer? he's there. Need a pest? he's there.
Then most likely we would trade Belak?

I'll take Vermette, Neil and a 1st. for Bouwmeester.

Old
11-16-2008, 03:44 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
Then most likely we would trade Belak?

I'll take Vermette, Neil and a 1st. for Bouwmeester.
Doubt Belak goes anywhere. May not play as much, but after the beating he gave Boogaard, he's likely become more feared around the league. He's not had a fight since, unfortunately.

Old
11-16-2008, 05:10 PM
Panthers/Leafs fan

Neil's not the enforcer Belak is, not even close. But he's great at digging pucks loose, going to the net and crowding the crease, he's a big hitter, and sticks up for teammates in a heartbeat...but most important, he plays every single minute of every single match all out. Maybe he could room with Horton?

Old
11-16-2008, 05:39 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Again, I really doubt JM trades for Spezza due to their past history. I would really like to see it happen. That'd give us the following lines:

Stillman-Spezza-Horton
Booth-Weiss-Frolik
Peltonen-McLean-Zednik
Belak-Campbell-Dvorak

Scratch: Kreps

McCabe-Skrastins
Ballard-Boynton
Cullimore-Welch

Old
11-16-2008, 05:46 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:

That is a huge massive over payment even for a player like jay.

Old
11-16-2008, 05:48 PM
Panthers/Leafs fan

So would I, but I wouldn't bet my mother on that ever happening.

Old
11-16-2008, 06:04 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
One thing we have to remember is that while Martin and Spezza didnt get along, that was when Martin was coach of the Sens. He wouldnt have to deal with Spezza in practice or during game nights, that is DeBoer's job. It probably wont happen, but I dont think its as crazy as some make it to be.

Old
11-16-2008, 06:09 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
One thing we have to remember is that while Martin and Spezza didnt get along, that was when Martin was coach of the Sens. He wouldnt have to deal with Spezza in practice or during game nights, that is DeBoer's job. It probably wont happen, but I dont think its as crazy as some make it to be.
We used to say that about Louie and Keenan.

Old
11-16-2008, 06:18 PM
DaveMatthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
That is a huge massive over payment even for a player like jay.
No it isn't.

The Penguins traded Erik Christenson, Colby Armstrong, Angelo Esposito and a 1st rounder for Hossa last year.

Granted, Vermette is quite a bit better than anyone in the package, but Esposito is better than the 2nd rounder I'm offering, and Ottawa is pretty desperate for a #1 defenseman right now. Armstrong is the equivalent of Kelly/Neil.

Old
11-16-2008, 06:55 PM
CanadianPantherFan

Belak and Neil on the same team=puke

Vermette would only want him in a package deal for Bou if we get the 1st rounder in 09'....and lets face it that 1st round from Ottawa would be beween 10-17th overall most likely

---What reliable sources have said this is the DEEPEST draft since 2003? I thought last year was that year when we traded our pick for TIVO ---

Closed Thread