HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Crombeen waived - Confirmed

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-17-2008, 11:36 AM
  #1
Sony Eriksson*
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N. Dallas/NYC
Country: Faroe Islands
Posts: 13,583
vCash: 500
Crombeen waived - Confirmed

Crombeen waived
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=11009


Last edited by Sony Eriksson*: 11-17-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 12:05 PM
  #2
Chad_
 
Chad_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 3,100
vCash: 500
So the team is going with the 18 forwards on the roster at a time to try to save $5,000 in the salary cap plan. Makes sense, I guess, unless Crombeen gets claimed or they figure out the minimal salary cap savings don't allow a player to get called up.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 12:25 PM
  #3
Goibniu
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Goibniu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Lurking around
Country: United States
Posts: 31
vCash: 500
Maybe just want him to get in some playing time. They are not playing again until thur and Crombeen has not been playing much.
I think they have done things like this in the past as well.

Goibniu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 12:47 PM
  #4
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus
 
DaStars99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 13,930
vCash: 1425
now just get rid of Petersen and we will be able call Neal back up! I believe

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 01:17 PM
  #5
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,604
vCash: 475
Dallas was carrying 13 healthy forwards. This either means that Lundqvist is healthy or Dallas will only carry 12 healthy forwards.

Anyway, assuming he is calimed or Dallas assigns him to the minors tomorrow, Dallas would then have $583,494.62 in cap space for the year.

Per day, Dallas would have $3,844.09 in cap space which would not be enough to call up James Neal, $4,417.56 daily cap hit.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 01:40 PM
  #6
map94
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Plano, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 328
vCash: 500
Something smells fishy about this. I don't see why they would just send him down without something else going on. Has Lundqvist even been skating yet? I don't remember reading that he had, so I can't see where Lundqvist would be the extra forward. They can't really recall anyone else you would think might be on the teams radar right now due to the cap. So something else must be up.

I'd say it's 50-50 he gets claimed.

That's two straight moves that have been real head scratchers in my opinion...

map94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 01:50 PM
  #7
________
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 4,641
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Better players have pass through waivers this year so I expect Crombeen to get claimed.
While they're at it why not waive Barch?
It's more useful using 7 defenseman and 11 forwards, then playing Barch.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 01:55 PM
  #8
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,604
vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
Better players have pass through waivers this year so I expect Crombeen to get claimed.
While they're at it why not waive Barch?
It's more useful using 7 defenseman and 11 forwards, then playing Barch.
Tippett said Doug Janik could play forward, and Janik said he didn't mind.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 02:02 PM
  #9
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?
 
piqued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 30,624
vCash: 27750
I thought they really wanted to avoid doing this, and that this was one of the main reasons he made the team to start with...

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 02:04 PM
  #10
map94
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Plano, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 328
vCash: 500
99% Barch would clear waivers. He's on a one way deal, so the hit to Hick's wallet is the same, it's just the cap hit that's different. Also, if Barch gets sent down, he's probably there for the rest of the season since he would stand a very good chance of getting taken on recall waivers for half price. We'd then be stuck with half his salary this season and next season since he's on a two year contract.

Are there other free agents out there the Stars could be positioning themselves to sign for a league minimum type contract like Parrish got?

map94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 02:17 PM
  #11
Sony Eriksson*
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N. Dallas/NYC
Country: Faroe Islands
Posts: 13,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by map94 View Post
99% Barch would clear waivers. He's on a one way deal, so the hit to Hick's wallet is the same, it's just the cap hit that's different. Also, if Barch gets sent down, he's probably there for the rest of the season since he would stand a very good chance of getting taken on recall waivers for half price. We'd then be stuck with half his salary this season and next season since he's on a two year contract.

Are there other free agents out there the Stars could be positioning themselves to sign for a league minimum type contract like Parrish got?
What about Kyle McLaren? No team has seemed to want him and he probably would take $550k to play. He is a huge guy that would fit well in Dallas (he is 6'5, 230lbs)


What about a trade of some kind....? Only if there was a way we could get Ohlund from Vancouver ($3.5 cap hit)

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 02:19 PM
  #12
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,604
vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by map94 View Post
99% Barch would clear waivers. He's on a one way deal, so the hit to Hick's wallet is the same, it's just the cap hit that's different. Also, if Barch gets sent down, he's probably there for the rest of the season since he would stand a very good chance of getting taken on recall waivers for half price. We'd then be stuck with half his salary this season and next season since he's on a two year contract.

Are there other free agents out there the Stars could be positioning themselves to sign for a league minimum type contract like Parrish got?
I would have said Keith Carney but 1) he recently retired and 2) Dallas doesn't need another defenseman.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 02:19 PM
  #13
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,604
vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
What about Kyle McLaren? No team has seemed to want him and he probably would take $550k to play. He is a huge guy that would fit well in Dallas (he is 6'5, 230lbs)


What about a trade of some kind....? Only if there was a way we could get Ohlund from Vancouver ($3.5 cap hit)
Kyle McLaren isn't a free agent. He's still with San Jose, in the minors I believe, and his cap hit is over $2 million.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 02:25 PM
  #14
Sony Eriksson*
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N. Dallas/NYC
Country: Faroe Islands
Posts: 13,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Kyle McLaren isn't a free agent. He's still with San Jose, in the minors I believe, and his cap hit is over $2 million.
I can't find him on http://nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=SJS&season=0809

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 02:58 PM
  #15
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,604
vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
That is because NHLnumbers does not list players who never counted against the cap. Kyle McLaren was waived before the year started and assigned to the AHL. He played in Sundays game for the Worcester Sharks against Springfield so I know he is still San Jose's property.

If you want McLaren, you have to trade for him, and his cap hit is $2.5 million. Well, unless the Sharks put him on re-entry, but the defeats the purpose of creating cap space for the Sharks so don't count on it.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 03:11 PM
  #16
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,604
vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by map94 View Post
Something smells fishy about this. I don't see why they would just send him down without something else going on. Has Lundqvist even been skating yet? I don't remember reading that he had, so I can't see where Lundqvist would be the extra forward. They can't really recall anyone else you would think might be on the teams radar right now due to the cap. So something else must be up.

I'd say it's 50-50 he gets claimed.

That's two straight moves that have been real head scratchers in my opinion...
Well this did get a little stranger.

According to Mark at Andrews, Lunqvist has started skating, but he is 2 weeks out from playing.

So 2 things could be happening:

1) Dallas is going to play with only 12 healthy forwards

or

2) Dallas will not demote Crombeen if he clears waivers. Once a player clears waivers, they don't have to be assigned to the AHL immediately. Dallas could keep Crombeen up while Lundqvist is hurt, and then they send Crombeen down without clearing waivers when Lundqvist is healthy.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 03:42 PM
  #17
________
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 4,641
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
#3 Stars will go with seven defenseman and finally scratch great teammate Barch.

The Stars don't need to keep Crombeen on the roster, since they have one healthy scratch in any game. With how much Barch sucks they're better off going with seven defenseman, but it probably won't happen.


Last edited by ________: 11-17-2008 at 03:47 PM.
________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 05:09 PM
  #18
map94
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Plano, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 328
vCash: 500
Here's my new wild speculation on what the Stars are doing here...

Tomorrow (Tuesday) the team will send Crombeen and Stephan to the minors. At the same time they will recall Neal. Team under the cap.

Wednesday the team will recall Stephan from the AHL as a replacement player for Ludqvist on LTIR. They can do this since Stephan is exempt from waivers. He's also the only waiver exempt player that makes less than Ludqvist and thus is eligble to replace him.

Crazy?

map94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 05:50 PM
  #19
________
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 4,641
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
I think they're going to keep Crombeen up, but have him replace Lundqvist's daily salary with the LTIR. Which they had to waive him to do.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 05:55 PM
  #20
Dominic Roussel
Tank Mode: Fail
 
Dominic Roussel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ATX
Country: United States
Posts: 4,695
vCash: 1951
Quote:
Originally Posted by map94 View Post
Here's my new wild speculation on what the Stars are doing here...

Tomorrow (Tuesday) the team will send Crombeen and Stephan to the minors. At the same time they will recall Neal. Team under the cap.

Wednesday the team will recall Stephan from the AHL as a replacement player for Ludqvist on LTIR. They can do this since Stephan is exempt from waivers. He's also the only waiver exempt player that makes less than Ludqvist and thus is eligble to replace him.

Crazy?
Stephan is a goaltender though. Teams have to have 2 goaltenders do they not? I don't think they could get away with that sort of move.

Dominic Roussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 06:22 PM
  #21
map94
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Plano, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
I think they're going to keep Crombeen up, but have him replace Lundqvist's daily salary with the LTIR. Which they had to waive him to do.
That doesn't make sense unless they are also adding another player. If they just keep him up they wouldn't be changing there roster at all and they are currently under the cap with that roster. So they wouldn't need the LTIR exemtion. Also, the team has to actually assign the replacement player to the minors. This is why Fistric and Neal went on a day trip to OK City before the season started. The team was then able to recall them as replacements for Zubov.

map94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 06:25 PM
  #22
map94
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Plano, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeShizzle View Post
Stephan is a goaltender though. Teams have to have 2 goaltenders do they not? I don't think they could get away with that sort of move.

I thought about that. I'm not sure if there is a specific rule requiring a team to always have two goalies on the roster. Could be, but I don't know. I know the LTIR replacement rules don't require like for like players being replaced.

Like I said, just wild speculation...

map94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 06:42 PM
  #23
theheadmata
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 607
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
I believe you are required to have 2 goaltenders on the roster.

theheadmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 07:08 PM
  #24
Caseman
Registered User
 
Caseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by map94 View Post
I thought about that. I'm not sure if there is a specific rule requiring a team to always have two goalies on the roster. Could be, but I don't know. I know the LTIR replacement rules don't require like for like players being replaced.

Like I said, just wild speculation...
So if Turco gets injured in-game, put Sydor in net?

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 07:51 PM
  #25
map94
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Plano, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman View Post
So if Turco gets injured in-game, put Sydor in net?
My example would only have Stephan in the AHL one day and that would be an off day. It would not affect any games.

map94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.