HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

4th Dman

Old
09-19-2008, 01:07 AM
LesHabsRock

vCash: 500
One More Defenseman. Offense is set.

Am I the only one who feels we need one more solid defenseman instead of another offensive player? I see new threads with rumours of Gaborik coming this way. Come on. As far as I'm concerned our offense is second to none. Our goaltending should be stellar. Right now our defense could use one more punisher back there. As it stands, I'm comfortable with the defensemen we have and not many teams have a top 3 like we have (Markov, Hamrlik, Komi), however having a top 4 would be preferrable. All of our top 6-7 forwards can potentially score an average of 25 goals a piece. Four of them could score 30 goals or more. That's something else. Schneider anyone? Just sayin'.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 01:12 AM
OnePoll*

Schneider is too expensive.

I agree with you, the habs could use another top-4 dman, a Derek Morris type of dman, good skating, size and weight, can get over 25pts.

OnePoll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 02:05 AM
ToysInTheAttic

Respectfully have to disagree.

Markov Komi
Hammer Gorges
Bouilion O'Byrne

Brisebois, Tank.

I think Gorges will be a solid top 4 this year. He was damned close last year.

Also, I'd like to see Valentenko crack the line-up this year.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 02:16 AM
Garo

Our defence is okay in the East. In fact, it's really above average.

I don't see where we would take the money now, but at the TD I'd look into it.

Garo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 02:16 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by habhob View Post
Respectfully have to disagree.

Markov Komi
Hammer Gorges
Bouilion O'Byrne

Brisebois, Tank.

I think Gorges will be a solid top 4 this year. He was damned close last year.

Also, I'd like to see Valentenko crack the line-up this year.
We only carry 7 D...Absolutly no room for any of the young guys and they all know it too.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 03:07 AM
Octavius
Next #18?

I have to agree with OP.
Our goal this year is to go for the cup. This is why I would like a big, experienced #4 defensive defenseman. I'm sure that O'Byrne will be a good #4 in the future, but not now and I don't see Gorges more than a #5.
The current lineup helps them to develop better, as they both have an experienced partner to learn from. But that helps us in the future and we are going for the cup now.

Octavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 03:36 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Gorges is a #4.. especially after his play last season.

People are so spoiled with the club we have right now.. and the offensive depth.. that they actually don't take a look at #4's throughout the league.

Anaheim: Sean O'Donnell*
Atlanta: Garnett Exelby
Boston: Andrew Ference
Buffalo: Henrik Tallinder
Carolina: Frantisek Kaberle
Calgary: Cory Sarich
Chicago: Cam Barker
Columbus: Jan Hejda

etc, etc.

We really aren't that bad off.

* Without Schneider.

Bad Natey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 05:31 AM
SOLR

I think it's an interesting subject, because this is where I see a rookie creating a surprise because of the point position on the powerplay. When Sourray left 2 years ago, we had Streit ready to take that spot; now we have Markov, and a lot of tentative options like the kostitsyns, Gorges, Bouillon, Obyrne, Tanguay etc.

This is why either PK or Carle got a shot at it imo, a very outside chance, but still a chance. We will be juste fine anyway, but one of those 2 might force their way into the lineup.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 05:39 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
This is why either PK or Carle got a shot at it imo, a very outside chance, but still a chance. We will be juste fine anyway, but one of those 2 might force their way into the lineup.
I would love for PK to show his mettle and make it impossible for him to be sent down, through a combination of skating, shooting and hard-nosed play. I love what he brings to the team.

VirginiaMtlExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 05:44 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
We'll be ok through the season.

But betcha we pick up a solid rental Dman for the playoffs

Old
09-19-2008, 05:51 AM
Prospector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
We'll be ok through the season.

But betcha we pick up a solid rental Dman for the playoffs
If we realize during the season that our defense will benefit from an addition to our top 4, i'd like to see a trade like the red wings did last year to acquire Brad Stuart.

Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 06:00 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector View Post
If we realize during the season that our defense will benefit from an addition to our top 4, i'd like to see a trade like the red wings did last year to acquire Brad Stuart.
Or a big tough physical D Man....like Sean Belle

Old
09-19-2008, 07:12 AM
mcphee

I don't think a Gaborik is attractive because they want to bolster the offense, it's more that they want a true impact player, a guy who you expect 40+ from.

So, I don't think they see it as a necessity right now,moreso something they've been trying to do but haven't accomplished yet.

I'd like to see a slightly better d corps, but I'd want to have a clearer picture of how O'b is developing and whether Gorges is a solid lower pairing guy or maybe a bit more. So, what I mean is that right now, my thinking is to wait.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 07:44 AM
Netro

The team is set on the blueline. BG and Carbo most likely see the team top 6 as:
Markov
Komi
Hamrlik
Gorges
Bouillion
OByrne

For depth, the Habs also have:
Brisebois
Belle
Dandenault

And I also think that there a couple of guys in Hamilton, notably Valentenko, that the Habs consider depth for this season.

This team is set for now. If BG and Carbo feel there is something missing come the new year, then you will see them make a move before the trade deadline.

Truth is, this team has lots of flexibility at both forward and Defense, with so many young players and some cap space.

Your 23 man roster most likely will be:
1-Koivu
2-Pleks
3-Lang
4-Tanguay
5-Higgins
6-Kovalev
7-A.Kosty
8-S.Kosty
9-Latendresse
10-Begin
11-Laraques
12-Kotso
13-Lapierre
14-Dandenault
15-Markov
16-Komi
17-Hamrlik
18-Gorges
19-Bouillion
20-OByrne
21-Brisebois
22-Price
23-Halak

Yes, this leaves Chipchura out, who I really like as a player. I think he will play in the NHL at some point this year (injuries and the such) but unless he beats out Lapierre, I suspect he will be back in Hamilton

As for Dandenault, right now, it is best not to buy him out. It is important to make sure his contract is on the books for only this season. I could see them sending him to Hamilton but I think his experience and versatility will be the reason he stays.

Nice team though...

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 07:47 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
What you taklking about,we signed Brisebois!!!.No but in all honesty if we can stay healthy we will be more then ok.If not Carle and Valentenko can come up for a couple of games and do the job

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 08:25 AM
AllCanadienFan

Am I missing something about Belle? Since junior he has played 181 AHL games, 26 points & -13. From what I've heard he didn't get the important minutes in AHL. I thought this move was to see if he can live up to the promise he had in junior and he needs to show first he can play well in Hamilton. I would think we will give any opportunity to Tank, Carle or for that matter Henry.

AllCanadienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 08:34 AM
Bullsmith

Right now we have eight D and are at the cap. Unless Dandy is replaced by someone very equivalent to Dandy, I think this is roster.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 08:57 AM
Fredi28

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Gorges is a #4.. especially after his play last season.

People are so spoiled with the club we have right now.. and the offensive depth.. that they actually don't take a look at #4's throughout the league.

Anaheim: Sean O'Donnell*
Atlanta: Garnett Exelby
Boston: Andrew Ference
Buffalo: Henrik Tallinder
Carolina: Frantisek Kaberle
Calgary: Cory Sarich
Chicago: Cam Barker
Columbus: Jan Hejda

etc, etc.

We really aren't that bad off.

* Without Schneider.
Hey guys, not trying to troll by any means, but Ference is certainly not our #4. It will most likeley be Stuart this year. I like Ference and am pulling for him to be our 5/6, but there is actually talk they he may not make it through camp.

Fredi28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 08:58 AM
otto bond

First off, Dandy is not a D-man for MTL. Perhaps for an other team and still.....All here know our top 3 in Markov, Komi and Hammer. Georges could fill in that top 4 ( can play right side)if needed but I like him at 5. OB is just a little raw but is a capable #6. Bouillon never plays right but is a reliable #5 or 6.

Concluding my observation, It's worth a try early on to see if Georges steps up. If it works great. If not, more likely Bouillon could find himself out.

Komi-Markov
Georges-Hammer
OB-Bouillon or Tanker (see above )

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 09:07 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

OT but does Chicago have an amazing top 6 defensemen or what.

Campbell-Sopel
Seabrook-Keith
Barker-Wisniewski

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 09:11 AM
Mad Habber

I realize we want to contend for the cup, but we are not contending in September. The trade deadline is the limit to when we can add a player from another team, at that time, BG feels he needs an upgrade or more depth, he'll do what's necessary for this team. BG built the team, he knows when they will be ready for a cup run. He'll also know what the team will require then better than now. Injuries may hit and we may need help elsewhere instead. Right now, he probably believes his team is still good enough to finish first and if they don't they can still confortably make the playoffs. Worry about filling holes at the deadline, right now, let the young'ans get some experience because if a Schneider or someone comes in, O'Byrne goes down to Hamilton.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 09:13 AM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
I think a Top 4 Dman would be more a TD thing than anything else. I'm really keen on O'Byrne and I'd love to see what a full season of that kid can bring. If he doesn't bring up his game enough, then at that point I can see a move to get another Dman for the playoffs.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 09:16 AM
Puckhead58*

We have good defence now, we don't need anybody else. Maybe at the trade deadline before we go into the playoffs if we have injuries or if that really is our weakest position, but we don't need to get any other defencemen before then.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 09:51 AM
MaKi
Marschak's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
OT but does Chicago have an amazing top 6 defensemen or what.

Campbell-Sopel
Seabrook-Keith
Barker-Wisniewski
I think I heard somewhere that Wisniewski is hurt and is gonna miss a bit of time during the first part of the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacKmtl View Post
I think I heard somewhere that Wisniewski is hurt and is gonna miss a bit of time during the first part of the season.
Yeah I just checked it, he tore his ACL in the off-season.
I guess they'll just plug Hendry in which isn't bad for a bottom pairing guy.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-19-2008 at 05:52 PM.
MaKi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector View Post
Definitely need another 4-5 guy, reliable, somewhat large, not dumb, canadian playing for cup with heart needs to be acquired at deadline to add depth. If a Dman goes down we'd be hosed going into playoffs with briesbois as the substitute #6 Dman, he needs to stay as #7-8.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote