HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

D'Agostini?

Old
11-17-2008, 02:21 AM
Bretvincent

vCash: 500
I really don't understand people's reasoning when they say that if Pacioretty is with the team than there is no place for Latendresse. I mean, don't we want to have two big physical forwards instead of one why settle for one? Look at Detroit they have both Franzen and Holmstrom and with that they manage to have a good physical presense if anything its the skilled non-physical players that should be more expendable not the big skilled physical players...

Bretvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 02:23 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretvincent View Post
I really don't understand people's reasoning when they say that if Pacioretty is with the team than there is no place for Latendresse. I mean, don't we want to have two big physical forwards instead of one why settle for one? Look at Detroit they have both Franzen and Holmstrom and with that they manage to have a good physical presense if anything its the skilled non-physical players that should be more expendable not the big skilled physical players...
Which top 9 forward are you putting on the fourth line.... I want both on the team but there is no point if a skilled forward is gonna play on the fourth line.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 02:28 AM
Bretvincent

I mean in the future not right now as in if I have the choice between getting rid of Latendresse or a players who's skilled but isn't physical i would choose Latendresse because it's more useful to have big skilled physical players than skilled non-physical players. Thus, why people should welcome the thought of having two power forwards on the team in the future in Pacioretty and Latendresse

Bretvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 02:36 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
I mean in the future not right now as in if I have the choice between getting rid of Latendresse or a players who's skilled but isn't physical i would choose Latendresse because it's more useful to have big skilled physical players than skilled non-physical players. Thus, why people should welcome the thought of having two power forwards on the team in the future in Pacioretty and Latendresse
I don't know... many people have made the point that Latendresse and Pacioretty can both be on the same habs team... but still some people think we need one or the other.

Old
11-17-2008, 02:56 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprice31 View Post
D'Agostini now has 12 goals with Hamilton while being of the AHL leaders in scoring.

He's a right handed shot, which at this point, helps us on the powerplay (Carbo's obsession of having a right handed shot), while also providing a better balance to the line-up.

No doubt D'Agostini can provide more offensively than Latendresse (not to start another LAtendresse war on this board).

Do any of you foresee him on this team....if not, what are we waiting for?
D'Agostini is NHL ready. I hope Gainey doesn't make same mistake with him as he did with Grabs(the numbers thing). I was thinking time for Gainey to package 2 or 3 players(Lang, Latendresse, O'Bryne, etc...) together to get the defenseman we all have been moaning for. Promoting the D'Agostinis and Chipchuras of our farm system.

D'Agostini may be good enough offensively to be second line winger, not sure, but third line anyway. I think he be around 18 goal scorer.

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 03:48 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Based on the his pre-season play, based on his solid record of the last 3 seasons, and based on the fact that he has a right hand shot that we so desperately lack on the team.

Clearly the kid has potential, and has the offensive qualities to balance our line-up a little better.

OK, and him being good (to great) IN THE AHL makes him better than Latendresse ? really...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 04:11 AM
NewHabsEra*

The team is set, we have our 23 men roster, unless Gainey buy out someone, make a trade, or a couple of injuries happen, there is no chance DAgo is called up..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 04:24 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Lats wants to know who the other one would be...

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 04:32 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
The team is set, we have our 23 men roster, unless Gainey buy out someone, make a trade, or a couple of injuries happen, there is no chance DAgo is called up..
You can't buy someone out during the season.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 05:27 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

How's D'Ago's work ethic? I mean he does have that tendancy to go to sleep as well, is he better in that department? 'Cause as great as a goal scorer he is IN THE AHL, he's not going to translate this in the NHL if he doesn't work hard enough (we have plenty of exemples of that with the team already....)

Not saying I wouldn't give him a chance, actually, you just can't destroy the AHL and not be recognized for it, would send the wrong message to the guys that are doing everything you told them to do and then some.

But you need room.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 05:41 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
D'ago's two way play seems fine to me.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 06:22 AM
timkerr

if you can get rid of begin and dandenault there,s a place but i bet there,s no taker's for both of these players ,i think dagostini is allmost ready or ready to play but there,s no spot for him even if he would do good job he might get a call for one or two days at max,unless you get rid of two players.

timkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 06:59 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Never heard of him.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 07:03 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

IMO the only way D'Agostini gets a regular spot in the lineup this season is due to an injury or if we need to trade one of our talented wingers to get that elusive top 4 d-man, therefore opening up a spot on the top 3 lines.

IMO, for instance D'Agostini plus a real top 4 dman > Higgins and Brisebois in terms of our cup chances.

I could live with the following lineup:

Kovalev Pleks AKost
D'Agostini Koivu Tanguay
SKost Lang Lats
Laraque Laps Kosto

Markov Komi
Hammer #4 Dman
Boullion Gorges
OB

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 07:20 AM
Fozz

D'Agostini will get his chance at some point and time when there's an injury or trade. It doesn't have to be right now but it will happen and here's hoping he makes the best of it.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 10:18 AM
Habitants

nice to see him playing well. Hopefully there will be some room for him if one of Dandy or Begin is dealt, but i think that he will have a good position next season.

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 10:33 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
How's D'Ago's work ethic? I mean he does have that tendancy to go to sleep as well, is he better in that department? 'Cause as great as a goal scorer he is IN THE AHL, he's not going to translate this in the NHL if he doesn't work hard enough (we have plenty of exemples of that with the team already....)

Not saying I wouldn't give him a chance, actually, you just can't destroy the AHL and not be recognized for it, would send the wrong message to the guys that are doing everything you told them to do and then some.

But you need room.
The criticism has been play without the puck, defense, so if th etam's main issue right now is attn. to detail, doing the little things that no one likes to do, is a rookie the answer ? I can see him being a good player, but it's tough to see how he makes the team better right now.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 10:34 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Its ridiculous really.

We are currently carrying 14 forwards, 3 of which (Begin, Dandeneault, Lang) will certainly not be back with the Habs next season. Two more (Kostopolous and one of Tanguay/Kovalev) are also likely to be gone next year due to salary cap restrictions.

So assuming we dont add any UFA's, we could be looking to promote at least 2-3 forwards for next year. D'Agostini, Pacioretty, Chipchura and Stewart will all have a very good chance at making this club next year.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 11:22 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
The criticism has been play without the puck, defense, so if th etam's main issue right now is attn. to detail, doing the little things that no one likes to do, is a rookie the answer ? I can see him being a good player, but it's tough to see how he makes the team better right now.
I think based on that, Chipchura would be ideal. Though I'm inclined to believe it's merely a confidence issue, and a powerplay goal or two could snap this team out of a funk.

If the moves can be made to free up a roster spot for Chips, that would at least be a step in the right direction IMO. If D'Agostini were called up, he'd probably just look good in a losing effort. Then again, I said the same thing about Sergei K last year...

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 12:42 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
How's D'Ago's work ethic? I mean he does have that tendancy to go to sleep as well, is he better in that department.
Yea he does tend to take some shifts off especially in his own end, but so far this year the effort seems to be there and the goals are just going in for him as he has a really shot slap shot and his wrister seems to be finding the top corner a lot. I'd say his main assets are his speed and shot, he can really move and is willing to fire the puck.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 04:19 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
How is d'ags better than latendresse offensively? Says who? Nothing against d'ags and not on gui's side but is this some guess? There's no reason to think he's any better than latendresse at this point or ever. He's a ppg in the ahl at his third season on a good hamilton team, it's good, i have no complaints with that however just because he has a certain # of points doesn't mean he's pegged as anything more than a 2nd/3rd liner like gui is to us right now.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
IMO the only way D'Agostini gets a regular spot in the lineup this season is due to an injury or if we need to trade one of our talented wingers to get that elusive top 4 d-man, therefore opening up a spot on the top 3 lines.

IMO, for instance D'Agostini plus a real top 4 dman > Higgins and Brisebois in terms of our cup chances.

I could live with the following lineup:

Kovalev Pleks AKost
D'Agostini Koivu Tanguay
SKost Lang Lats
Laraque Laps Kosto

Markov Komi
Hammer #4 Dman
Boullion Gorges
OB
That would be way too good...

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 06:56 PM
BulldogFever

We can always bring up Shawn Belle! Dandy thanks for the ride but time to move on.

BulldogFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 07:07 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldogFever View Post
We can always bring up Shawn Belle! Dandy thanks for the ride but time to move on.
Dandy is better than Shawn Belle....

Old
11-17-2008, 07:18 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Waivers eh.

Let me see

D'Agostini > Dandeneault
D'Agostini > Begin
D'Agostini >>> Latendresse (but I digress)

The excuse that a player in Hamilton that will help us greatly with his offensive ability and right hand shot, in order to accomodate over-the-hill marginal players is pretty ridiculous
Most of my arguments against this line of reasoning have already been expressed in this thread by others.

But additionally, what happens if you do that and 3 guys go on IR? You waive Dandenault or Begin or Latendresse, they're gone. (Well, ok, these days that's assured in the case of Dandenault or Begin... but they COULD BE gone). And once they're gone, you aren't getting them back. All so some promising kids can spin their wheels on the 4th line or eat hotdogs in the pressbox instead of them?

That's not going to help us win.

Conversely, if 3 guys go on IR, you can call up D'Agostini or Chipchura or whoever, use them, and not lose anybody.

We didn't really need much depth last year. But you look around the league, some teams do end up dipping pretty deep into their minor league system in addition to exhausting all their marginal NHL depth players. Better to be safe than sorry.

The kids will get their chance. Next year for sure, if not sooner. For the good of our team, I'm actually hoping that they get that chance next year, not sooner.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote