HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Tangled East

Old
11-17-2008, 08:17 AM
txpd

vCash: 500
The Tangled East

The majority of the top east teams have played 17 games and there is almost no seperation.

20 games NY Rangers 28pts
17 games Penguins 24pts
17 games Bruins 24pts
17 games Capitals 23pts
16 games Canadiens 22pts

Are we looking at a five way battle for the conference?

The Canadiens were supposed to be better. The Penguins have two significant injuries that should make them better when they return. The Capitals have survived Ovechkin and Backstrom being ice cold for the first 12 games of the season.

Are there any teams not in this group that will join it? Are any of these teams playing over their heads and likely to fall out of this group?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 08:32 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

For reference, here's last year's top eight with points:

Montreal - 104
Pittsburgh - 102
New Jersey - 99
New York Rangers - 97
Philadelphia - 95
Ottawa - 94
Washington - 94
Boston - 94

Frankly I think it's too early to tell. The East is without a doubt extremely close at this point, especially the Northeast Division, where it seems the division lead changes each night between Boston, Buffalo and Montreal.

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 08:36 AM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

I don't think Montreal stays part of that group unless they really turn it around. They aren't playing very good hockey and it's been that way all season.

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 08:40 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
I don't think Montreal stays part of that group unless they really turn it around. They aren't playing very good hockey and it's been that way all season.
Well honestly, we're playing our worst hockey since 2006-2007 right now. I don't think it can get any worse (crosses fingers), so hopefully our best players wake up and we can start playing some good hockey. The team has the talent no doubt, but don't seem to have the drive they had last year. You put the Maple Leaf's drive and passion into the Habs and they are a first placed team no doubt...

We'll have to see what happens...

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 08:42 AM
flannelman
default user

vCash: 920
as much as I hate to admit it, Montreal is a talented team - they just need a kick in the butt - I fully expect them to challened for the NE Division and even the conference... but a lot can happen this season.

flannelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 08:46 AM
Kosikarzzz

Send a message via MSN to Kosikarzzz Send a message via Skype™ to Kosikarzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by flannelman View Post
as much as I hate to admit it, Montreal is a talented team - they just need a kick in the butt - I fully expect them to challened for the NE Division and even the conference... but a lot can happen this season.
I agree....the season has ups and downs for all teams....and MTL may be getting theirs earlier than expected. Maybe its the pressure cooker they created for themselves or what but they will right the ship soon I am sure.

Boston stole their MOJO! I have seen Boston get alot of praise or recognition lately but I will ty to remain grounded because we are due especially since we play so much this week. That team looked burned out sat night.

Buffalo, Washington & NYR are very solid teams and at this point there is nothing saying they will fall.

Kosikarzzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 08:47 AM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
Well honestly, we're playing our worst hockey since 2006-2007 right now. I don't think it can get any worse (crosses fingers), so hopefully our best players wake up and we can start playing some good hockey. The team has the talent no doubt, but don't seem to have the drive they had last year. You put the Maple Leaf's drive and passion into the Habs and they are a first placed team no doubt...
As a Leaf fan, I take that as a huge compliment. I am really enjoying hearing opposing fans say that about us and this team has been really fun to watch. Thanks.

As for the Habs, to have the record they do and be playing as poorly as they are is, quite frankly, frightening because I believe this is a team that WILL get back on track. I think as a fan that's one of the most frustrating things - knowing your team is capable of more and not getting it.

Gutchecktime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 08:49 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
The east always seems to be a tangled mess. Why would that change?

cptjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 08:56 AM
Celestial Black

Yeah, it is usually pretty close.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 08:59 AM
Sad King Jimmy
That's hockey baby!

vCash: 50
Now if Carolina could just get their **** together I might actually care

Sad King Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 09:03 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarosefortheHart View Post
Now if Carolina could just get their **** together I might actually care

Well I guess we will see who can get theit **** together faster on Tuesday..

Old
11-17-2008, 10:06 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
last year there was an 11 point difference between 1st and 9th. This year i expect something similar, so there shouldnt ever be separation.

11-17-2008, 10:12 AM
Killiecrankie*

When our two defensemen get healthy you will see the Penguins continue to pull away from the pack.

Killiecrankie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 10:14 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

If this close race keeps up the rest of the season then it'll certainly be an interesting season in the Eastern Conference.

11-17-2008, 10:15 AM
Alan Jackson

With the NHL awarding points the way they do, the standings are ALWAYS going to be tight, every season, in both conferences.

Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 10:29 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark144 View Post
When our two defensemen get healthy you will see the Penguins continue to pull away from the pack.
Have they already pulled away from the pack??

Old
11-17-2008, 10:30 AM
txpd

Quote:
In order to continue to pull away they must be pulling away. Which they are not.

I'll give you that it would seem likely that the Pens will improve over their current play when they add Whitney and Gonchar back in. I expected the same of the Capitals once Ovechkin and Backstrom started to kick in at career pace.

Personally, I think the Rangers are all Lundqvist and they are the team in this bunch that is shakey. They have played more games and are home heavy. When that rounds out and if Lundqvist has any kind of rounding of his game, they will drop quickly.

I also think Carolina is a coaching change away from making a run into the top group for at least a little while.

Old
11-17-2008, 10:36 AM
Killiecrankie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
In order to continue to pull away they must be pulling away. Which they are not.

I'll give you that it would seem likely that the Pens will improve over their current play when they add Whitney and Gonchar back in. I expected the same of the Capitals once Ovechkin and Backstrom started to kick in at career pace.

Personally, I think the Rangers are all Lundqvist and they are the team in this bunch that is shakey. They have played more games and are home heavy. When that rounds out and if Lundqvist has any kind of rounding of his game, they will drop quickly.

I also think Carolina is a coaching change away from making a run into the top group for at least a little while.
um I think that 6 straight victories is the beginning of pulling away, averaging 5.5 goals per game I think is also pulling away.

The penguins are going to have 50+ victories this year.

Old
11-17-2008, 10:39 AM
txpd

What is your definition of pulling away?? The 6 wins have pulled them into the fight, not pulled them clear of it. Same with the Capitals. 5-0-1 in the last 6 pulls them 1 pt shy of the Pens.

Old
11-17-2008, 10:40 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
um I think that 6 straight victories is the beginning of pulling away, averaging 5.5 goals per game I think is also pulling away.

The penguins are going to have 50+ victories this year.
Thats being pretty optimistic...and if you think 6 straight victories will help you pull away, you should see how fast 3 straight losses puts you right back in the pack.

We'll talk again in a few months to see how things are going on your 50 win prediction.

Old
11-17-2008, 10:41 AM
Killiecrankie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Thats being pretty optimistic...and if you think 6 straight victories will help you pull away, you should see how fast 3 straight losses puts you right back in the pack.

We'll talk again in a few months to see how things are going on your 50 win prediction.
Sounds good to me.

Old
11-17-2008, 11:05 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
The majority of the top east teams have played 17 games and there is almost no seperation.

20 games NY Rangers 28pts
17 games Penguins 24pts
17 games Bruins 24pts
17 games Capitals 23pts
16 games Canadiens 22pts

Are we looking at a five way battle for the conference?

The Canadiens were supposed to be better. The Penguins have two significant injuries that should make them better when they return. The Capitals have survived Ovechkin and Backstrom being ice cold for the first 12 games of the season.

Are there any teams not in this group that will join it? Are any of these teams playing over their heads and likely to fall out of this group?
I would expect that the Pens and Habs will pull away from the crowd by the end of the year.

The Pens are playing great right now, and once Gonch and Whits come back they wont need to score 5 goals a game to win, but they still will.

The Habs have been shaky this past week. I watch the game last night and they were something like 0 for 10 on the PP, which clearly will change. Once the PP starts clicking they will start winning again (I know they won in a shootout but with 10 PPs they should have scored more then 2 goals against St. Louis).

The Rangers are still living off their early wins when Voros was the leagues leading scorer. They will only go as far as The King will take them, which is pretty far but he isn't a miracle worker.

Like the Rags, the Bruins are living off Thomas' heroics. If he stumbles the B's will lose out on some much needed points.

The Caps are scoring big against some weak teams (Car and a depleted NJ) but I'm not sure how they will fair agains some of the better teams in the league. Their game against SJ will be a test to see if their one line will be able to handle a great team. They will win the SE again, but that isn't really saying much (no offense to the SE but it's not very competitive).

Ragamuffin Gunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 11:09 AM
Blackfader*

1. Pitts
2. Boston
3. Wash
4. Montreal
5. NYR
6. Buffalo
7. Carolina
8. Philly or NJ

Blackfader* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 11:15 AM
Luigi Lemieux

i like pittsburgh's chances to win the east. not many teams can pull an 11-4-2 record with their top 2 dmen out. they had 47 wins each of the last two years, so 50 isn't exactly a stretch.

Luigi Lemieux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 11:19 AM
Pascal

Crazy East as usual. I think the top 5 is always a crapshoot within itself... and teams within the 6-8 are a crapshoot amongst the top 6-12.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote