HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Tangled East

Old
11-17-2008, 11:19 AM
txpd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASV 27 View Post
The Caps are scoring big against some weak teams (Car and a depleted NJ) but I'm not sure how they will fair agains some of the better teams in the league. Their game against SJ will be a test to see if their one line will be able to handle a great team. They will win the SE again, but that isn't really saying much (no offense to the SE but it's not very competitive).
I am not seeing what you are saying. The Capitals have 10 W's. 3 against SE teams. Two of those against Carolina who are currently 8th in the east. They have beaten both Pittsburgh and New York Rangers. They are 4-2-0 against the west.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 11:21 AM
Doctor House

1. Pitts
2. Montreal
3. Wash
4. NYR
5. Boston
6. Buffalo
7. Philly
8. NJ

Doctor House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 11:24 AM
CapsChemist

Quote:
I would expect that the Pens and Habs will pull away from the crowd by the end of the year.

The Pens are playing great right now, and once Gonch and Whits come back they wont need to score 5 goals a game to win, but they still will.

The Habs have been shaky this past week. I watch the game last night and they were something like 0 for 10 on the PP, which clearly will change. Once the PP starts clicking they will start winning again (I know they won in a shootout but with 10 PPs they should have scored more then 2 goals against St. Louis).

The Rangers are still living off their early wins when Voros was the leagues leading scorer. They will only go as far as The King will take them, which is pretty far but he isn't a miracle worker.

Like the Rags, the Bruins are living off Thomas' heroics. If he stumbles the B's will lose out on some much needed points.

The Caps are scoring big against some weak teams (Car and a depleted NJ) but I'm not sure how they will fair agains some of the better teams in the league. Their game against SJ will be a test to see if their one line will be able to handle a great team. They will win the SE again, but that isn't really saying much (no offense to the SE but it's not very competitive).
Teams they have beat outside the SE

Chicago
Vancouver
Pittsburgh
Dallas
Nashville
Newyork
New Jersey

7 of their 10 wins have come outside the division.

Stop generalizing. It makes you look foolish.

CapsChemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 11:35 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I am not seeing what you are saying. The Capitals have 10 W's. 3 against SE teams. Two of those against Carolina who are currently 8th in the east. They have beaten both Pittsburgh and New York Rangers. They are 4-2-0 against the west.
I didn't say 'winning' I said 'scoring big' meaning the recent 5 goal games against Car and NJ. My point was that I don't think that they will continue to put up lots of goals against better defensive teams.

Also, I'm not taking anything away from the wins they have gotten, I'm just making a prediction for the season.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 11:38 AM
dcsfanatic

I hate to generalize, but a lot of Penguin fans are insufferable in their homerism.

dcsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 11:40 AM
Foy

Quote:
I didn't say 'winning' I said 'scoring big' meaning the recent 5 goal games against Car and NJ. My point was that I don't think that they will continue to put up lots of goals against better defensive teams.

Also, I'm not taking anything away from the wins they have gotten, I'm just making a prediction for the season.
Is Vancouver as solid defensive team? We took off the 3rd period, and put up 5 on them. We put up 6 on Dallas. The more you talk, the bigger you dig your hole. You should just stop while you can.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 11:41 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsfanatic View Post
I hate to generalize, but a lot of Penguin fans are insufferable in their homerism.
It's not just the Penguins, it's every team. It's just that the more fans that a team has on here, the higher chances are that there's morons. There's a lot of pens fans on here, so there's a higher chance for there to be some morons mixed in.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Riffo*

Quote:
The Rangers are still living off their early wins when Voros was the leagues leading scorer. They will only go as far as The King will take them, which is pretty far but he isn't a miracle worker.

Like the Rags, the Bruins are living off Thomas' heroics. If he stumbles the B's will lose out on some much needed points.
Lundqvist, being the best goalie in the league, can take them as far as he wants to. They also have plenty of scorers, but are horrible defensively with overpaid stiffs like Roszival and Redden. If they can fix their defense, they're going straight to the cup.

As for living off Thomas's heroics, this is completely false. What about Manny's heroics then ? He is 13th in save pct and GAA, with only one loss in 6 games started.

This great goaltending we have in Boston is a product of the system implanted by Claude Julien last year and great two-way playing by all of the Bruins players.

Riffo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 11:58 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Is Vancouver as solid defensive team? We took off the 3rd period, and put up 5 on them. We put up 6 on Dallas. The more you talk, the bigger you dig your hole. You should just stop while you can.
When Was played Van they're goals against was pretty shaky. In October they let up 4+ goals 6 times in 11 games. I'm not saying Van is a bad defensive team, I'm saying at they time they were letting in a lot of goals. In fact they have not allowed 4 or more goals yet this month, so they are clearly better defensively then they were in the 3rd game of the season.

Also, this is a prediction for the season not a review of their 17 games so far, so you can stop bringing up every win they've had to date.

Last edited by Ragamuffin Gunner: 11-17-2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old
11-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Pens75
Pens Fan Since 1975

Misleading. Not only are the NYR living off their early wins like somebody previously mentioned, they played 20 games while everyone else has played 16 or 17. Even the games up and that changes the standings considerably.

Pens75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 12:00 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

Honestly, I think Montreal is the most skilled team there, and if they can play to their potential, should win the East, with the Rangers a close second in points.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 12:04 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude Julien View Post
As for living off Thomas's heroics, this is completely false. What about Manny's heroics then ? He is 13th in save pct and GAA, with only one loss in 6 games started.

This great goaltending we have in Boston is a product of the system implanted by Claude Julien last year and great two-way playing by all of the Bruins players.
Manny has played well so maybe i should have said 'goaltending heroics' instead of 'Thomas' heroics'.

However, Thomas has 3 wins when the B's have scored 1 goal (two 1-0 wins and a 2-1 SO win), which is pretty ridiculous. 9 out of 10 times you don't get two points when only scoring 1 goal. Without those 3 games they are tied with Toronto with 18 Pts.

Old
11-17-2008, 12:06 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark144 View Post
um I think that 6 straight victories is the beginning of pulling away, averaging 5.5 goals per game I think is also pulling away.

The penguins are going to have 50+ victories this year.
just like fleury is going to win the vezina with his 2.86 GAA and .907 SV%, good for 24th and 23rd in the league...

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Blackfader*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperArchetype View Post
Honestly, I think Montreal is the most skilled team there, and if they can play to their potential, should win the East, with the Rangers a close second in points.
I don't see any way the Rangers finish ahead of the pens barring major injuries. The Rags are playing at their potential right now. The pens are missing 2 of their top dmen and are just starting to mesh. If Jordan Staal can score 25+ goals this year the pens will be first in the conference.

Blackfader* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 01:23 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude Julien View Post
Lundqvist, being the best goalie in the league, can take them as far as he wants to. They also have plenty of scorers, but are horrible defensively with overpaid stiffs like Roszival and Redden. If they can fix their defense, they're going straight to the cup.
Have you actually watched the Rangers? They are one of the better defensive teams in the league, 3rd overall in fact in GAA with 2.15 per game. And they are currently 2nd best on the penalty kill.

The Rangers have been a good defensive team the last 2 years. Yes, it's part system and part Lundqvist, but the defenseman have a huge say in it as well. Rosy's struggles this year have been mostly on the PP. In the defensive zone he's been pretty good. And Redden has been steady if not spectacular. Mara is playing much more physical than last year and Kalinin has been pretty good overall.

Staal and Girardi are really the top 2 defenders for the Rangers. They are both playing very well right now.

The only thing that needs fixing on the Rangers is the power play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybax View Post
Misleading. Not only are the NYR living off their early wins like somebody previously mentioned, they played 20 games while everyone else has played 16 or 17. Even the games up and that changes the standings considerably.
I wouldn't say it's misleading. The Rangers have 4 more points (or more) than any other team in the eastern conference. If every team were to win all of their games in hand, no team would finish more than 2 points ahead of the Rangers. And honestly, how many of those teams are going to win their next 3 or 4 in a row?

Pittsburgh and Boston would have to go at least 2-0-1 in their next 3 (Rangers currently hold head-to-head tie breakers against both) to pass the Rangers.

Montreal would have to go at least 3-0-1. And Washington would have to go 3-0 (They hold head-to-head tie breaker over the Rangers, but first tie breaker is total wins).

So the fact that the Rangers have played more games is moot.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 03:48 PM
emb24*

not sure about this pens 'pulling away stuff'. not sold at all by their depth up front beyond the big 3. the caps are good but theo sucks and johnston will not be able to carry them forever. the rags are solid and deep - and have hank in net. the habs probably have the most depth and skill up front but are playing like they think they've already won the cup. buffalo also another talented team has been up and down and i don't like their D at all. and the B's whom i absolutely hate, get my props today. i didn't think they would be able to break out of fulien's trapping system but they have. they are a well coached team with some good kids. problem is what happens when thomas comes back down to earth, which he will,ference's broken tibia and ryder continues to slump?

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 04:04 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Boston has a crazy defense, crazy goaltending and gritty, hardworking forwards. At this point, they are the team to beat.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 04:04 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosikarzzz View Post
I agree....the season has ups and downs for all teams....and MTL may be getting theirs earlier than expected. Maybe its the pressure cooker they created for themselves or what but they will right the ship soon I am sure.

Boston stole their MOJO! I have seen Boston get alot of praise or recognition lately but I will ty to remain grounded because we are due especially since we play so much this week. That team looked burned out sat night.

Buffalo, Washington & NYR are very solid teams and at this point there is nothing saying they will fall.
Agreed, Habs also had a slump in November last year when we lost big time to Carolina, NJ, Dallas etc. The team got out of it by December and finished 30-12-6.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 04:10 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

What's frustrating for Habs fans is that the team isn't playing the way they are capable...they are trying too much for the perfect play. Last year they were being aggressive like crazy, drawing penalties and capitalizing on them. This year, they are playing passive, waiting for the puck and not working hard. However, they are still 10-4-2 with their horrible play and if they get out of it, which I sure hope they do, they should win a lot more games than they lose.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 04:11 PM
johnniewalker

I like Pittsburgh's chances to win the East. That said, there is some painfully face-palm inducing talk from Pens fans in this general forum lately.

johnniewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 04:14 PM
TheRedressor

I love the fact even though the Rangers are in first place they are being given no chance by most to at least win their division. The Rangers play there best when they don't have these lofty expectations.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 04:25 PM
freakin

Rangers have a great shot this year I think, one of the best from the East. I'd say if they made the finals I'd give them the best shot at winning it all. Though that's assuming a strong team wins the West, if a weak team finds it's way then obviously it's more up in the air.

freakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 04:27 PM
Blackfader*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
I love the fact even though the Rangers are in first place they are being given no chance by most to at least win their division. The Rangers play there best when they don't have these lofty expectations.
The fact the penguins are doing just as good without their top 2 dmen minutes wise is a good reason. And the fact that they have came back to earth from a good start bolstered by beating up on TAmpa as well.

Blackfader* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 04:31 PM
KenAF

Code:
Sat, Mar 14 	Carolina 	        7:00 PM
Mon, Mar 16 	@ Atlanta 	        7:00 PM
Tue, Mar 17 	@ Florida 	        7:30 PM
Thu, Mar 19 	@ Tampa Bay 	7:30 PM
Sat, Mar 21 	@ Carolina 	        7:00 PM
Tue, Mar 24 	@ Toronto 	        7:00 PM
Fri, Mar 27 	Tampa Bay 	        7:00 PM 
Wed, Apr 1 	NY Islanders 	7:00 PM
Fri, Apr 3 	        Buffalo 	        7:00 PM
Sun, Apr 5 	        Atlanta 	        3:00 PM
Tue, Apr 7 	        @ Atlanta 	        7:00 PM
Thu, Apr 9 	        @ Tampa Bay 	7:30 PM
Sat, Apr 11 	@ Florida 	        7:00 PM
Once again, the Caps get most of their SE division games at the end of the season. Does any team have a better schedule over the last month than the Caps?

If the Caps are among the top three EC teams with a month to go, I suspect they win the conference due to their their schedule.

KenAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 04:32 PM
Cleary84

I honestly think Philly has a chance to win the division if they get their act together and start beating the Pens and Rags. I'm not just saying this because I'm from Philly but our 3 lines can each put up their share of goals. I'm not saying the Flyers will pull away from the pack. I'm sayng the exact opposite, it will be a tight battle til the end and as I said if we start beating pit and nyc we just may have what it takes to do it.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote