HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are Our Fans The Worst In The League?

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2008, 02:46 AM
Pizza

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
this thread has an extra chromosome
This one had me chuckling. Very good.

When the Rangers start playing 60 minutes, the fans will stop booing.

A 13 -5 start makes no difference to fans that can spot lazy play from a high priced squad.

Old
11-18-2008, 09:03 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
in the 90's?

Do you not remember Messier being booed the year before they won the cup and missed the playoffs?

Considering the turnover he made in game 4 against the Pens and his lazy defensive play in 1993, it was most deserving.

Old
11-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

The booing doesn't bother me, its the people complaining about the booing who do. Why try and start a fan civil war? These are your people. Go hate the Devils fans.

Old
11-18-2008, 09:34 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
The booing doesn't bother me, its the people complaining about the booing who do. Why try and start a fan civil war? These are your people. Go hate the Devils fans.
Cause its white trash theater, its an embarrassment, and it hurts the team more than it helps.

But you paid your two nickels so you're entitled to the world right?

Old
11-18-2008, 09:39 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
Why try and start a fan civil war? These are your people This is your team. Go hate the Devils fans. Go hate the Devils.

Old
11-18-2008, 10:04 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Ok I thought this thread was going to be about other cities perception of us. As to whether or not we are scumb*g fans, especially after some of the crap that happened at the Ranger-Devil game the other night. But anyway...

Look, I understand the whole booing affects the team negatively stuff, but if the team is not playing well and looks like they're lollygagging it on the ice, I'm going to boo them. And if a player in particular does it, I'm gonna boo him too. I paid money to see the team play, it's my right to boo. Plain and simple. And I don't really boo per say, sometimes I do. But I more or less yell at them on the ice. Like the other night on the 5 on 3 vs. Boston. One of the Bruins lost his stick and it was basically a 5 on 2, and here they are passing the puck back and forth, back and forth. It was ridiculous, and I was angry about it and I let them know. And that is my right to do.

Old
11-18-2008, 10:38 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
Ok I thought this thread was going to be about other cities perception of us. As to whether or not we are scumb*g fans, especially after some of the crap that happened at the Ranger-Devil game the other night. But anyway...

Look, I understand the whole booing affects the team negatively stuff, but if the team is not playing well and looks like they're lollygagging it on the ice, I'm going to boo them. And if a player in particular does it, I'm gonna boo him too. I paid money to see the team play, it's my right to boo. Plain and simple. And I don't really boo per say, sometimes I do. But I more or less yell at them on the ice. Like the other night on the 5 on 3 vs. Boston. One of the Bruins lost his stick and it was basically a 5 on 2, and here they are passing the puck back and forth, back and forth. It was ridiculous, and I was angry about it and I let them know. And that is my right to do.
I never understand this argument. Everyone has the right to be a jerk. No one is saying that people shouldn't be allowed to boo.

I agree with your basic mentality about when to boo, though. I've booed the team after a lousy period. I've booed the power play after a hideous performance. Booing results is one thing, booing a player long after the fact is totally different.

And for the record, I was pleased to see that the treatment of Rosie was better than I expected last night. Like others, I thought the fans were rapidly going to descend into the Malik/Poti mentality, but they're showing better restraint than I gave them credit for. For now.

Old
11-18-2008, 10:53 AM
Shadowtron

This thread is hysterical! What's next, not enough ice cubes in the Garden sodas?

Old
11-18-2008, 11:12 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
I never understand this argument. Everyone has the right to be a jerk. No one is saying that people shouldn't be allowed to boo.

I agree with your basic mentality about when to boo, though. I've booed the team after a lousy period. I've booed the power play after a hideous performance. Booing results is one thing, booing a player long after the fact is totally different.

And for the record, I was pleased to see that the treatment of Rosie was better than I expected last night. Like others, I thought the fans were rapidly going to descend into the Malik/Poti mentality, but they're showing better restraint than I gave them credit for. For now.
Ok, the reason why people say "I have the right to boo" is cause people make it out like booing is the stupidest thing in the world, and that you're white trash if you do it. And it's not true. Throwing crap on the ice is trash. Having a guttermouth in front of kids at a game is trash. Starting fights or throwing beer on someone is trash Booing someone is not. So when people tell me, it's stupid that I boo, I tell them "Ya know what? I think it's stupid that you don't. But it's your right not to boo, just like it's my right to boo." so that's what I mean when I say that, if that makes any sense.

And I usually don't have a problem with Rosival. But he was brutal Saturday night, and I booed the crap out of him and had fun doing it! But I get what you're saying. Harping on it, can get out of hand.

Old
11-18-2008, 11:26 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I didn't really hear anyone booing Rozsival yesterday...

Old
11-18-2008, 11:53 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Which is better than anticipated. There might be hope for this fanbase to actually carry their team when they struggle (or maybe then, perhaps not), instead of trying to prolong the suffering for everyone. Themselves included. I heard some boos though. Still, better than the Rozsi onslaught I thought would happen.

The booers have to get into their thick skulls that the booing isn't helping anyone. Not even themselves, at least not if they are fans of this team. Sure, it might feel great for a second or two, but then it's back to reality, with a slumping team with struggling players, that are not only playing against their opponents and bad ice, but their own "fans". And no, Renney doesn't change his gameplan because some "fans" boo. He changes his gameplan because the team struggles. So no, it's not your "credit" that changes are made in the team.

"But Chimp, we have to show them we are unhappy with how they play! It's our right!"
Geesh, good you told them, because they must have had absolutely no idea that they are struggling out there. It's like informing a firefighter there is a fire going on, while he is spraying water on an exploding 6000 ton firecracker factory. I kind of guess NYR kind of knows their fans don't want them to lose. NEWS FLASH: they don't like losing either. They don't try to lose just to annoy you. And I kind of think a player already knows he's struggling long before he is booed out of the building, or town.

Kind of ironic some people flamed Renney for turning on his own fans... who was it that started turning against whom, now again? But sure, continue kicking on those on our own team that need the most support. Whatever makes you sleep at night.

---
Anyone remember a totally ridiculous moment last season? Christian Bäckman tried to clear the puck out of the zone with a midair puck, when Gionta (or Parise, don't remember) slapped it down on volley with his stick and scored a goal. Then the fans started booing him whenever he touched the puck of course. And they booed... and they booed... and Bäckman scored. So, what are the booers supposed to do in this moment? Continue booing and look like idiots? Switch to cheering and look like idiots? Or become silent and look like idiots? To no surprise, they chose to look like idiots. What team were they fans of, nowagain? Exactly who or what did they help with their boos, except their egos?

Last edited by Chimp: 11-18-2008 at 12:27 PM.
Old
11-18-2008, 11:55 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Which is better than anticipated. There might be hope for this fanbase to actually carry their team when they struggle, instead of trying to prolong the suffering for everyone. Themselves included.
Who knows, it was a Monday night compared to Saturday nights amped crowd.

Old
11-18-2008, 12:03 PM
broadwayblue

In a perfect world the crowd would be totally silent when the team sucks. That should give them a good idea how they are playing. I don't like booing my team.

Old
11-18-2008, 12:06 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
i was at the game. They started to a couple times. but it didn't really sustain. Thank god.

Old
11-18-2008, 12:23 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
I was in 338. The infallible ones seemed to remember that it was still acceptable to boo him in the 2nd period.

Just to chime in with my two cents... I don't have a problem with boo'ing at games. If the TEAM deserves to be boo'd, then i'm fine with it. I DO have a problem with singling out an individual player incessantly. You have to ask yourself what's the purpose of boo'ing your own hometown player? Is it to make him play better? Because if it is, then would you stop boo'ing if you saw that it was actually making him play worse?

And I know a lot of people are going to say that if it were them that was getting boo'd, they'd work extra hard to turn the boos into cheers. But not everyone is like that. Some people get more passive when they are constantly berated with jeers.

Old
11-18-2008, 12:35 PM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
I was in 338. The infallible ones seemed to remember that it was still acceptable to boo him in the 2nd period.

Just to chime in with my two cents... I don't have a problem with boo'ing at games. If the TEAM deserves to be boo'd, then i'm fine with it. I DO have a problem with singling out an individual player incessantly. You have to ask yourself what's the purpose of boo'ing your own hometown player? Is it to make him play better? Because if it is, then would you stop boo'ing if you saw that it was actually making him play worse?

And I know a lot of people are going to say that if it were them that was getting boo'd, they'd work extra hard to turn the boos into cheers. But not everyone is like that. Some people get more passive when they are constantly berated with jeers.
Yes, people claim that in some sorry excuse. Like running more or practicing more passes would help. They already know how to play hockey. It's in their heads. And booing them will mostly not help mental blocks and feelings of insecurity.

But then again, if you ask the "fans" if they prefer a boss that is positive and supports them in their work, or having a fascist boss who will yell at you and be a jerk for weeks as soon as he considers you have messed up, everyone but the psychopats will pick the first boss. As for which boss will make you perform better and which enviroment has better conditions for you to evolve, I don't think I have to give the answer to that.

And yes, with "boss" I also extend to "enviroment". And with enviroment, I include fans on home ice. If you don't think a positive enviroment where you feel confidence from yourself, your co-workers, your boss and those around you is better than an enviroment where the main catalyst for performance is fear, think again. This ain't the Marine Corps. And even the military have understood what a crappy leader style the dictator is. That's for drill sergeants who are supposed to be hated by everybody, to unite the group. Not a hockey coach. That's for the Keenan lovers to suck on.

As for the "booing and fear of booing gives them extra fire under their *****!" argument, they are constantly booing defensemen for crying out loud. A D-man has to remain calm, he can't sniff some ammonium and skate out like some 4th line marine grunt yahoo on the ice. What they're doing is putting alot of unnecessary pressure on one of the hardest roles you can have on a modern NHL team today. They have to remain calm and relaxed under big pressure and always make the right choice, they just can't throw the puck in a corner and hit everything that moves.

Guess what? Booing a puck moving D-man as Rozsi isn't helping him remain calm and do what is best for our team.

Last edited by Chimp: 11-18-2008 at 12:49 PM.
Old
11-18-2008, 12:44 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by playstationline View Post
...NY has probably one of the most passionate fan-bases in the league...
I totally agree. They're passionate when the team is good and bad. That means they're going to let you know on both sides. They cheer like no other fans do when you're good and when you're bad, they're going to let you know. Both are strong responses and are a testimony to how passionate and knowledgeable Ranger fans are!

One thing about NYers is that they we let you know what's on their mind. There is no fake smile and a wave and silent grumbles under our breath while we bite our tongue, NO instead we let you know. This is true in the arena and outside it. It's our personality. Southerner's have their hospitality, we have our outspoken forwardness.

Old
11-18-2008, 12:53 PM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
I totally agree. They're passionate when the team is good and bad. That means they're going to let you know on both sides. They cheer like no other fans do when you're good and when you're bad, they're going to let you know. Both are strong responses and are a testimony to how passionate and knowledgeable Ranger fans are!

One thing about NYers is that they we let you know what's on their mind. There is no fake smile and a wave and silent grumbles under our breath while we bite our tongue, NO instead we let you know. This is true in the arena and outside it. It's our personality. Southerner's have their hospitality, we have our outspoken forwardness.
One could hope winning the Cup is more important for a New York fanbase than showing their regional identity. A united team and 100% supporting fanbase have alot more hope achieving that than a fanbase that are more like neutral spectators. Sure, fans can show critiscism and show they are not blind for mistakes. But there are better ways to do that than to try to sink your own leaking ship.

Old
11-18-2008, 01:01 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Remember that game against the blues 2 years ago? The infamous "We Suck" chant went up in the garden and the Rangers got pissed and came back and won the game and changed the season around.

Secondly, I don't see anyone complaining that you don't see fans banging drums, singing songs, standing, whistling like they do in Liverpool. So yes regional identity plays a part in fan support. This happens to be New York - so the fans support in a NY style. You don't like it - tough - "insert stereotypical New York quote here"

Old
11-18-2008, 01:04 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
One could hope winning the Cup is more important for a New York fanbase than showing their regional identity. A united team and 100% supporting fanbase have alot more hope achieving that than a fanbase that are more like neutral spectators. Sure, fans can show critiscism and show they are not blind for mistakes. But there are better ways to do that than to try to sink your own leaking ship.
So fans should cheer poor play to encourage the players rather than letting them know what's on their mind? NO....these are pro athletes, if they want the benefit of praise they need to be willing to take the criticisms too!

As a professional player if being booed makes you play worse, then you don't have what it takes to play through adversity and you're not a winner, pack up your stuff and find another home to flounder in your mediocrity.

Old
11-18-2008, 01:20 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:

Yeah, so let's just never boo the team, and just sit there and clap pretend it's ok, cause, hey, me telling Rosival he's awesome AFTER the turnover, will make him perform better!

Ya know what dude, it's NY. And like the man above just said, we let you know what's on our mind. We don't sugar coat it. And players know that when they sign here. And me booing or not booing is not gonna matter. The special players know how to block that stuff out.

Old
11-18-2008, 01:20 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
So fans should cheer poor play to encourage the players rather than letting them know what's on their mind? NO....these are pro athletes, if they want the benefit of praise they need to be willing to take the criticisms too!

As a professional player if being booed makes you play worse, then you don't have what it takes to play through adversity and you're not a winner, pack up your stuff and find another home to flounder in your mediocrity.
EXACTLY!!!!

Old
11-18-2008, 01:48 PM
Fletch

Chimp...

what do you suggest fans then do?

Personally, the fans have few voices. One voice is to not attend the games and try to hurt them in the pockets somehow. That doens't necessarily work if you have season tickets and given them up for a few or several bad games in a row when you've had them for 20 years doesn't make sense.

You can't directly criticize the players so the only way you can communicate how you feel regarding their play is to boo (or cheer). Some may argue that if they're playing bad they know they're playing bad and booing does nothing but hurt them more. You can also tell a coach the same thing and not chastise them for crappy play because their feelings may hurt. Cheering and booing are the two most effective tools us fans have at voicing our opinions directly to players. It's tough to say there's a better way to send a message, but I'm all ears if someone has an idea.

Old
11-18-2008, 01:50 PM
Fletch

Tony...

it's not just New York...it's all over. Think the Montreal or Toronto fans don't get on their fans and coaches?

Old
11-18-2008, 01:56 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
it's not just New York...it's all over. Think the Montreal or Toronto fans don't get on their fans and coaches?
Wasn't Poti booed out of Edmonton?

Closed Thread