HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tim Kerr and John Leclair

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2004, 05:16 PM
Stefan_Latulippe

vCash: 500
Tim Kerr and John Leclair

I remember Tm Kerr as a player who was in front of the net and scoring a ton of goals!!!

Now, was he good defensively? Was he a good skater? That I don't remember.

Samething for John Leclair.

Thank you.

Old
03-29-2004, 07:01 PM
stanley

I remember Kerr as a guy who was looked lazy because of the way he looked, but he certainly didn't play that way. I thought his mobility and skating in general was underrated. He seemed to have an easy-going way about him, but he was anything but if angered. I didn't pay that much attention to his defense earlier in his career, but anybody who played for Mike Keenan HAD to be a complete player or they watched from the press box.

I think Kerr and LeClair have a lot in common in a general sense: they were both big players, tough to move from in front of the net yet with soft hands, and generally avoided confrontation. However, I remember seeing Kerr during a fight in 1987, and that's where the comparison between the two ends for me. Kerr was simply a nasty guy if provoked, whereas I think the meanest I've seen LeClair was during his bear hug with Redden a few Fridays ago.

As for LeClair, I can't understand why the guy has never been nominated for the Lady Byng. I can't think of a player who has been subjected to more punishment yet just keeps playing within the rules.

Old
03-29-2004, 09:02 PM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley
I remember Kerr as a guy who was looked lazy because of the way he looked, but he certainly didn't play that way. I thought his mobility and skating in general was underrated. He seemed to have an easy-going way about him, but he was anything but if angered. I didn't pay that much attention to his defense earlier in his career, but anybody who played for Mike Keenan HAD to be a complete player or they watched from the press box.

I think Kerr and LeClair have a lot in common in a general sense: they were both big players, tough to move from in front of the net yet with soft hands, and generally avoided confrontation. However, I remember seeing Kerr during a fight in 1987, and that's where the comparison between the two ends for me. Kerr was simply a nasty guy if provoked, whereas I think the meanest I've seen LeClair was during his bear hug with Redden a few Fridays ago.

As for LeClair, I can't understand why the guy has never been nominated for the Lady Byng. I can't think of a player who has been subjected to more punishment yet just keeps playing within the rules.
Was he a one dimensional player in a sense that he could "only" score goals?

Old
03-29-2004, 10:28 PM
stanley

Look at it this way, Stefan: if scoring goals was his only dimension, that's one heck of a dimension. I think your question is kind of loaded in that manner. Were he just good at a less crucial facet of the game other than scoring goals, such as killing penalties or winning faceoffs, I could see calling him one-dimensional. However, I don't think a guy that scores 50 goals in four straight seasons can ever be classified as one-dimensional. In a way, it's sort of like writing that Vince Lombardi only knew how to win. I guess you're getting at the fact that an disproportionate amount of his goals were scored on the power play, and a good number of those from 15 feet in. It's a fair question - I'm not picking on you! As I think about my previous comparison more, I think LeClair has made his living closer to the net than did Kerr. I also can't imagine mentioning LeClair or Kerr without mentioning Lindros and Eklund, respectively. Two sets of players who I feel were much greater than the sum of their parts.

I think Kerr was an undefinable (poor?) defensive player who turned into a good one under Keenan. I don't remember enough to recall with a great deal of certainty, but I am certain that one didn't play for Mike Keenan if he wasn't defensively responsible. I remember Kerr as being a good skater. He wasn't a hack by any means.

Old
03-30-2004, 07:40 AM
Coburnfan05

Tim Kerr is my favorite flyer of all time. He was very gifted around the net and played the game with an edge. He ws always in the top 5 goalscorers and top 10 or so in points untill his back injury. I don't think hr got allot of credit because the flyers teams in the 80's weren't overpowering.

Old
03-30-2004, 08:19 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Latulippe
I remember Tm Kerr as a player who was in front of the net and scoring a ton of goals!!!

Now, was he good defensively? Was he a good skater? That I don't remember.

Samething for John Leclair.

Thank you.

Kerr had tremendous hands, better than LeClair's. He had a super quick release and a deadly wrist shot.

He did not have LeClair big slapshot.

Kerr used his size more in front of the net, he didn't use his body to shield off players with the puck like LeClair does in the corners and behind the net.

Kerr was a very very good face-off guy.

Closed Thread