HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Florida McCabe Opinions (from a Leaf fan)

Old
11-18-2008, 12:39 AM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

vCash: 500
Florida McCabe Opinions (from a Leaf fan)

Hi Guys and Gals,

I probably could have just bumped an old thread, but this really isn't about McCabe traded or McCabe injured, so what the heck.

I spent countless hours arguing about Bryan on the Leaf board, I've always felt he didn't deserve the heat he took post-lockout. So my question, is this:

What do you see from his game? Do you like him as an addition? Basically, as fans that are likely by and large viewing his overall play per game for the first time in depth, what do you think?

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 01:58 AM
Danny Tanner*

i had this to say in the last GDT....

Quote:
agree with you that McCabe should play more.

i hate stereotyping, but considering what we heard from the "hockey mecca" about his defensive play - mccabe is pretty damn solid in his own zone. not very fast but solid positionally, physical and good with his stick.

that doesn't even begin to describe his strengths though. he's so good at moving the puck out of the zone. i sit directly behind the net (in the upper deck) so i get a good look at the outlet passes defensmen make and mccabe is, by far and away, the best defensman we have in this regard. alot of his passes are high-risk (which is probably why he was considered turnover prone in toronto...one of those gets intercepted and it looks bad) - but he completes them far more often than he doesnt...and it improves our transitional game tenfold.

and then theres his shot that creates havoc any time he lets it go. zednik's goal was stricly mccabe letting one go and conklin not being able to control it.

i wouldn't say he's "way better" than ballard. they're pretty similar...i just think mccabe is better in his own end. ballard can be caught in the wrong position at times...but he's still young so i think it'll come with age.

Bo hasn't even been near either of them. I'd probably say Skrastins has been better than Bouwmeester this year...and that's saying alot considering Skrastins is just a defensive #4 defensman.
i don't want to start a war of words with the leafs board....but i dont see how an entire group of fans could be so wrong about a player. i haven't seen him make one glaring turnover yet, he's sound positionally and while i don't have any stats to back me up, we've looked much better with him in the lineup than we have without him.

maybe it's the difference in ice time? he's only averaging around 19 min/game while in toronto he was playing consistently around 25-30min/game.

im not sure. either way - there's no way we lost that deal. no offense to MVR, but McCabe is a difference maker on the backend.

Danny Tanner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 03:13 AM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Trombone Olesz View Post
i don't want to start a war of words with the leafs board....but i dont see how an entire group of fans could be so wrong about a player. i haven't seen him make one glaring turnover yet, he's sound positionally and while i don't have any stats to back me up, we've looked much better with him in the lineup than we have without him.

maybe it's the difference in ice time? he's only averaging around 19 min/game while in toronto he was playing consistently around 25-30min/game.

im not sure. either way - there's no way we lost that deal. no offense to MVR, but McCabe is a difference maker on the backend.
I've always thought (like most elite d-man) he thrived on more ice-time. More time to make a mistake (and he does, and will), but it's pretty much a natural thing playing huge minutes.

Our media sold the McCabe story to most of us up here, and unfortunately most just buy what's being sold. Funny that you note looking better as a team when he's in, documented fact of how much better the Leaf record was with him in then out.

Some day soon drop by the Leaf board for my argument of why McCabe should have been kept and Kubina shipped out.

But I don't mean to sway the thread.. more opinions?

Last edited by Squiffy: 11-18-2008 at 03:21 AM.
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 04:56 AM
CanadianPantherFan

I've never been a McCabe fan similar to Bertuzzi in the past too before he came to Flordia (my brother actually liked both of those guys pre-Panthers days which is funny to me)....anyways I think he has added to this team's PP. ,he's not mistake prone or at least not what I've seen out of him this season, and I'm just hoping he will be a positive influence in the locker-room which has always been a weak point of this franchise.

I'd rather see McCabe as a #3 or #4 dman with 20-25 mins. a night adding to the #1 PP. unit, but if Bou does leave he will have to be moved up which I'm not entirely looking forward to....

Leafs fans are unbelivable. So many of them overhyped his game a couple years back ,then the next day he's a piece of garbage and would not be "good enough" to take Van Ryn's minutes

Last edited by Acadmus: 11-18-2008 at 08:51 AM. Reason: edge of trolling already, so I'm cutting the "Lafs" comment
CanadianPantherFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 09:35 AM
Panthers/Leafs fan

Isolate on him. Just watch him closely for a while and you begin to appreciate what an underrated defenseman he is. His head is constantly on a swivel. He positions his teammates while skating into position. Around the net he gets his stick on the opponent's all the time. He finishes his checks, thus taking a man out of the play (something I wish more Panthers would do). He hits hard. His passes are crisp. His contribution to the power play is evident--it has calmed down and become more effective since his return. And his shot...we don't need to say much about his shot.

Fletcher and Wilson were determined to get him out of Toronto at all costs...and it cost them.

Pure and simple, the Panthers stole the Leafs blind on this one.

Panthers/Leafs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 09:42 AM
Panthers/Leafs fan

Oh, and look at where he's at on +/-....having missed a lot of games. This was a great move by JM.

Old
11-18-2008, 10:16 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers/Leafs fan View Post
Pure and simple, the Panthers stole the Leafs blind on this one.
I don't know that I'd go that far. I like what I've seen from McCabe so far, but Van Ryn was doing very well himself before the injury.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 10:21 AM
Montsy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
I don't know that I'd go that far. I like what I've seen from McCabe so far, but Van Ryn was doing very well himself before the injury.
He was also doing well in the time he actually played here...how many games did he play for us in the last 2 seasons? and now he's injured again?

I think it was a solid move by JM as well.

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 10:28 AM
harv3317

i've always like mc cabe and like him even more as a cat. the guy is a top 10 d-man, imo.
sorry to here about van ryn. he's a good guy and i wish him the best.

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 09:04 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Caber's been great. He has 7 pts. in the 6 games since returning from his injury, 3 goals, is a +4, and has jumpstarted the impotent PP since his return. He's been very solid defensively as I expected him to be, and I love how physical he is down low. He makes opposing forwards pay a price just for being in his own zone. I have even more of an appreciation for him than I did before.

His rep of being a horrible defensive liability stems from one playoff series against the Flyers in '04, and his OT own goal in Buffalo last season. The Toronto media totally fabricated some make believe rep about him, and a lot of the fans just ate it up. Like RTO said, maybe he was playing too many minutes before and was overextended, or maybe he was just made to look bad because he was relied upon heavily on a team with poor team defense that didn't make him look good. All I know is, I'm glad we got him. Toronto probably got what they wanted as well, a servicable top 4 d-man and the cap space and longterm flexibility they wanted.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 09:32 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Congrats on getting a steal from us in Toronto, guys. Don't worry about what my fellow Toronto fans said.....these are the same fans who booed Hall of Famer Larry Murphy out of town, thinking he was worthless.....eerily similar to what they did to McCabe.....only to see Murphy go on and win the next two Stanley Cups as a top-pair defenseman.

I've been dropping in now and then on this board, and I'm telling you that you got yourselves one of the best defensemen in hockey here. He's not perfect, but he does everything well.

I see McCabe's minutes are steadily rising as he gets back into gameshape. Tonight he's on pace for around 22. They'll keep going up.

For some reason, your coach isn't playing him on the PK yet (probably out of reputation).....but that'll change soon enough. Bryan is excellent on the PK as well.

He should end up getting 25+ minutes a night, as usual.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 09:32 PM
Laus723
Future Now

LOVE the guy. He's been great so far and has 3 points do far in tonight's game. Sound defensively, great shot from the point.

I miss Ryno, but I'm really glad he's here.

11-18-2008, 09:35 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Congrats on getting a steal from us in Toronto, guys.

I've been dropping in now and then on this board, and I'm telling you that you got yourselves one of the best defensemen in hockey here. He's not perfect, but he does everything well.

I see McCabe's minutes are steadily rising as he gets back into gameshape. Tonight he's on pace for around 22. They'll keep going up.

For some reason, your coach isn't playing him on the PK yet (probably out of reputation).....but that'll change soon enough. Bryan is excellent on the PK as well.

He should end up getting 25+ minutes a night, as usual.
It's possible that he's still not in game shape yet, as you alluded to. Again, I'm really excited that he's here and am looking forward to him getting healthy.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 09:38 PM
zeke
#freewilly

and oh yeah.....it's not a coincience that your team has looked a whole lot better with him in there than it did without him.

He had the same effect on the Leafs.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 11:49 AM
phil725

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Trombone Olesz View Post

Our PP was absolutely horrible... when McCabe came back from his back injury.. it was like an injection of scoring. He's been terrific for us defensively as well. Whenever you don't notice a defensemen on defense... it means bad things aren't happening while he's on the ice. He's been great for us.

phil725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:39 PM
jal2155

Our best players this season have been McCabe, Ballard, Vokoun and Booth. The four show exceptional passion and an uncontested desire to win every time they hit the ice. They are role models for their teammates, which is why the first two deserve captaincies (main or otherwise).

Stillman, naturally, belongs in that group. But his injuries thus far have made it difficult to judge his impact on the team.

jal2155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 09:53 PM
ipayyou1000

9 points 9 games. Go mccabe. I bet this jinx's him but oh well GO MCCABE keep helping my fantasy team.

ipayyou1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 10:30 PM
Panthers/Leafs fan

How happy do you think he is to be out from under the Toronto microscope?

Old
11-21-2008, 11:06 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers/Leafs fan View Post
How happy do you think he is to be out from under the Toronto microscope?
Heh, he's loving it. Everybody write in McCabe on the All-Star ballot. We might get the right people to take notice and take a closer look at him.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 12:22 AM
jal2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipayyou1000 View Post
9 points 9 games. Go mccabe. I bet this jinx's him but oh well GO MCCABE keep helping my fantasy team.
I think 20 goals (plus or minus 2) and 40 assists (plus or minus 4) season is feasible.

jal2155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 10:18 AM
Panthers/Leafs fan

I don't think so, because other teams will start putting a defenseman right in his face on the powerplay (wouldn't you?) But since he's not a selfish player, he'll just keep dumping off the puck to others for open shots. And when the other teams start keying on those players--then the puck comes back to McCabe. Should be a lot of fun to watch, but I still feel the numbers will go down as soon as more teams start focusing on McCabe more.

Old
11-24-2008, 06:54 PM
Caesium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Tanner* View Post

I was against trading McCabe. Toronto finds a scapegoat and rides them out of town every couple of years, it's kind of sickening. I still can't believe that the deal was McCabe+ for MVR.

Caesium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 07:06 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesium View Post
I was against trading McCabe. Toronto finds a scapegoat and rides them out of town every couple of years, it's kind of sickening. I still can't believe that the deal was McCabe+ for MVR.
What's the latest on Ryno? He close to coming back?

Old
11-24-2008, 07:13 PM
Caesium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
What's the latest on Ryno? He close to coming back?
Two weeks away minimum still. He just had his first skate since the hit today, spent 20 minutes on the ice and had to go off.

Caesium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 09:13 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesium View Post
Two weeks away minimum still. He just had his first skate since the hit today, spent 20 minutes on the ice and had to go off.
Thanks for the update, hopefully he's able to pick up where he left off.