HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Florida McCabe Opinions (from a Leaf fan)

Old
11-30-2008, 08:08 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

vCash: 500
I was just gonna come and start this exact thread. Like squiffy I thought McCabe was getting a bad wrap. If you look at the forums before last years deadline everyone seemed to buy into it. He was a whipping boy for everyone. I wasn't a huge fan of McCabe but certainly didn't get behind the hype. I just felt we needed to change the look of the team making him a player that had to go. I think this trade has been great for both us. Nice when that happens. MVR has been a great fit for us and Cabers seems to have fit in great with the Panthers.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 08:11 PM
Reydin

a point today, 3 SOG and 23:09 TOI. I guess he's back, always liked the guy. It's too bad he's gone as I think he would be Burke's type of player.

Reydin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Antropovsky

I personally wouldn't invest nearly 6 million in Cap Space on him and Don't miss him. I think its funny when posters say I told you so after only 13 games. Fact is... Kabs/Sundin/Tucker/Belak/McCabe all became way to comfortable as a group in Toronto. Toskala said it himself... the dressing room is much better this year without some of the Ego's. Other than Kaberle, I haven't heard of anyone shedding a tear over the loss of McCabe.

I normally shudder at the thought of a player playing well after a trade, but with McCabe I could really care less ..... I'd have wanted him out regardless of how many points he puts up.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 10:52 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post
I personally wouldn't invest nearly 6 million in Cap Space on him and Don't miss him. I think its funny when posters say I told you so after only 13 games. Fact is... Kabs/Sundin/Tucker/Belak/McCabe all became way to comfortable as a group in Toronto. Toskala said it himself... the dressing room is much better this year without some of the Ego's. Other than Kaberle, I haven't heard of anyone shedding a tear over the loss of McCabe.

I normally shudder at the thought of a player playing well after a trade, but with McCabe I could really care less ..... I'd have wanted him out regardless of how many points he puts up.
Thanks for coming by to post this.

in all honesty, many of us feel the same about Olli. He had to go and it will be best for both parties going forward. Still, we're very happy to have him, much like Phoenix seems pretty happy to have Olli.

12-01-2008, 11:16 AM
Antropovsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Thanks for coming by to post this.
Shoot, I must have entered the rose colored glasses forum by accident. My apologies.

Old
12-01-2008, 11:26 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Shoot, I must have entered the rose colored glasses forum by accident. My apologies.
I don't even know what this means...not sure how you didn't catch my comments about the Olli trade. In all honesty, I can't think of any Panther fan who's gone over to Phoenix say something similiar, so as far this being the "rose colored glasses" forum, it's the Panthers forum and many of us are happy to have him.

Laus723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 01:06 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
He seems to be doing better than Van Ryn.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
He seems to be doing better than Van Ryn.
Ryno's been injured, though, and he was doing well while he was healthy.

Old
12-01-2008, 02:06 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Ryno's been injured, though, and he was doing well while he was healthy.
I think that's exaclty what pb was trying to joke about lol.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 04:49 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:

Yeah and Toskala should worry less about the dressing room and more about stopping a bloody puck. Yeah he needed to go to shake up the room the same way Florida are saying Ollie had to go for the same reasons. These things happen and McCabe's contract is absolutely right. I'd rather McCabe and his cap hit then being stuck with a Redden contract. Good luck to the Panthers throughout the rest of the season. McCabe is an anchor and leader. Enjoy him.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Antropovsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
Yeah and Toskala should worry less about the dressing room and more about stopping a bloody puck. Yeah he needed to go to shake up the room the same way Florida are saying Ollie had to go for the same reasons. These things happen and McCabe's contract is absolutely right. I'd rather McCabe and his cap hit then being stuck with a Redden contract. Good luck to the Panthers throughout the rest of the season. McCabe is an anchor and leader. Enjoy him.
So your saying that only players on top of their games should be allowed to speak their minds? I completely agree about McCabe > Redden but that has nothing to do with my post.

My Point - I don't think you can say X player is performing well on X team therefore he would perform the same way on any other team in the NHL. So, I respectively disagree with the posters who are saying I told you so in the cases of McCabe and Wellwood. I do think that being traded and having to prove yourself all over again have huge influences on a Players game, especially early on (which is why I'm reserving judgement on Van Ryn). Kyle Wellwood, would he ever have lost the weight he has if he hadn't been Waived? He himself said that it was an eye opener and put things into perspective for him. I think people are overlooking the intangibles.

I think McCabe is in a better situation in Florida, where he rarely plays on the PK (:42 average)... but I am curious to see how he performs should Bouwmeester be in fact traded and he is thrust back into the #1 role again. Do I think he's overpaid, yes, but not excessively.

Edit: Just to Clarify - I have no qualms about McCabe playing well for Florida.... I'm happy he's performing, and actually secretly root for J. Martin. I just don't think the "I told you so's" are justified.

Last edited by Antropovsky: 12-01-2008 at 05:31 PM.
Old
12-02-2008, 04:16 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

The I told you so's are extremely, extremely justified.

There may not be a clearer example anywhere of an "I told you so" being MORE justified, in fact.

except maybe in the case of Wellwood.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Gudbranson4Prez
Yu - Behr - Doe

vCash: 50
McCabe needs 1 more GP to be rated on TSN's player rater, when he does he will be the 5th best dman.

Gudbranson4Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Panthers/Leafs fan

'Nuff said.

Panthers/Leafs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 09:20 PM
Tonka
Keslerberg strikes

This was officially the start to the whole Leaf fans hating mcCabe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssOohskwZ7U

And the last mistake that made Leaf fans had enough:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpfBV...eature=related

Oh yeah...cant forget about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMWLF...eature=related

Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 09:22 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Why post those? We've seen all that before.

Old
12-08-2008, 09:25 PM
Tonka
Keslerberg strikes

Quote:
Why post those? We've seen all that before.
To point out the main reason why the fans hate him...those were the key games.

Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 09:34 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss_7 View Post
Thanks, but we were aware of all that. Mistakes happen, though, and we're plenty happy he's here.

Old
12-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by boss_7 View Post
Key games? His own goal came last year and the Leafs didn't play a single "key game" all year.

McCabe has been absolutely awesome for us.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Panthers/Leafs fan

And now they hate Kaberle. They song title may differ but the tune is the same.

Old
12-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Panthers_Fan

Interesting stat. McCabe is averaging more shots/game than Horton, Stillman, Olesz, and the rest of our forwards besides Booth.

Shot/game
Booth
JayBo
McCabe

Definitely one of our better trades.
2 Defensemen carrying our offense

Panthers_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
ya never a good idea to hang around the Leaf board, the IQ level has been lacking for sometime.

I was never a McCabe fan is his prime, but the last few seasons I noticed how solid defensively he was. How the team just seemed to crumble without him.

But his time was done in Toronto, it was really done during the lockout when he decided to make dumb comments and then have his salary doubled sort of iced it for most ignorant fans. MVR has been a pleasant surprise as well, it has lessened the hurt a little.

Bryan will bring 110% into every game on every night, he will defend his fellow teammates and on occasion crunch someone with a good body check. He will score between 40-60 points with 15-20 being goals.

He is a top 20 defenseman

Poignant Discussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers/Leafs fan View Post
And now they hate Kaberle. They song title may differ but the tune is the same.
LOL. That's hilarious. Before this season Kaberle was the golden boy that could do no wrong.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 06:04 PM
Panthers/Leafs fan

Mr. Bouw, you're absolutely right. I think Toronto is just a really tough place to play. There's no denying Kaberle's abilities, I think Wilson is handling him the wrong way. Kaberle needs an arm around the shoulder, not a public kick in the pants. Some people respond to the former, others to the latter. A good coach knows the difference (not suggesting Wilson's not a good coach, only that the way he's handled things could have been improved upon).

Compare it to DeBoer, though (and boy, do I like this coach). If you don't play hard, you don't play The rules are the same for everyone. DeBoer won't scream at you, he won't humiliate you publicly...but you're going to be sitting.

There was a lot of discussion on this board about the Belak trade and if it wasn't disguised as an unsubtle hint to everyone that noone was safe. I didn't agree with that then. I think everyone else was right, now.

Old
12-10-2008, 06:22 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Heck, they took Van Ryn for McCabe AND a pick, maybe we can give them Cullimore and get Kaberle Seriously though, I would love if Martin made a move for Kaberle. He is only 30, and has a reasonable contract that goes on for two more years, at $4.25 million per. It would make losing Bouwmeester that much easier, and give us a pretty potent offensive and defensive unit, more so when Allen gets back. And IF we could resign Bouw, we would have the best defense in the game, and be only a forward away from being big time contenders. Just imagine:

This year
Bouwmeester - Kaberle
Ballard - Boynton
McCabe - Skrastins

Next season if Bouw signs
Bouwmeester - Kaberle
Ballard - Allen
McCabe - Skrastins/Welch/Ellerby/WHOEVER!

Next season if Bouw is gone
Kaberle - Allen
Ballard - Boynton
McCabe - Skrastins/Welch/Ellerby

I know Martin loves the defensive side of the game, and we all want him to fix the forward spot, but this is another chance to get a top offensive Dman for probably nothing. And IM SURE Kaberle would waive his NTC to come here. We would have the best defense in the league IMO.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote